• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

CronoShot

Xperia XZ is 450 on Amazon if anyone likes bad phones.
The fact that Sony disables the fingerprint scanner in the US makes this worthless. Not to mention their weird obsession with sticking with 3GB of RAM.

V20 on sale.

$500.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285960-REG/lg_lgus996_ausatn_lg_v20_4gb_ram.html

good price imo. Might be the last flagship to have removable battery now that g6 is abandoning it.

Seems like a pretty good deal, but I don't know how much support LG's unlocked phones get. Googling around, the unlocked G5 still hasn't received Nougat in the US. Not a good sign.

tbh nothing in MWC interests me. I am curious about huawei watch 2. I wonder if they can improve rather than get worse.

My big interests for the rest of the year are really just pixel 2/oneplus 4/iphone 8 and probably one other thing I'm forgetting. Sort of interested in the S8 but not from a buying perspective, I'd never consider it, but just to see it.

Jeffrey

Id get galaxy if there wasn't so many compromises regardless of how you get it.

Just give me an unlocked exynos s8 with working Samsung pay that gets timely updates and has a us warranty.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm interested in Moto cause the G5 seems to be going for something different between the models? I want to see how this all plays out.

IronRaven

What are the odds on that thing bootlooping like so many LG phones in the past have?

Probably not all that high. I'd really hope LG has learned their lesson by now and work on preventing bootlooping on all future devices. From what I can tell, the V20 doesn't seem to have nearly the same boot loop rate as previous phones.

clav

I'm interested in Moto cause the G5 seems to be going for something different between the models? I want to see how this all plays out.

Looks like no more Play edition as Moto may move to the vanilla G lineup with the Plus promoted as the fancier model.

My guess is vanilla G features a removable battery while the Plus looks sleeker with a better camera.

clav

Is. Bootloops still a thing with LG these days besides the memes?

Can happen to any phone.

Problem is during usage, emmc memory chip desolders itself from the board.

Some theorize due to soldering quality/ manufacturing procedure. Others blame temperature or IC design of chip placement. Quick charge throws another chain in thermal cooling control because now the battery can also become very hot.

Fix is to desolder the chip, test chip, reball solder on chip, and flash stock firmware.

As for consumers out there, avoid SD 61X + SD 808 + SD 810 + other known hot chips. I would advise avoid using quick charge. If you really do need it, get at least version 3.0. 2.0 only has two stages of charging (slow and very fast) where as 3.0 can adjust in between.

Just give me an unlocked exynos s8 with working Samsung pay that gets timely updates and has a us warranty.
the unlocked US GS7 doesn't even get the monthly security updates that the carrier versions get. US unlocked = sent to die.

Jeffrey

the unlocked US GS7 doesn't even get the monthly security updates that the carrier versions get. US unlocked = sent to die.
Seems like the only option is to import an international version with some sort of warranty. Flash a region on it that has Samsung pay.

Seriously hate how carriers got Sammy by the balls.

And it still baffles me how Apple is still like the only company that ties warranty to device and not the purchaser.

Also I can get my US iPhone services in a shanghai Apple store if I wanted to.

reKon

Banned

All this talk these last few pages about different phones and we're going to act like the Int'l GS7 Edge still isn't the best phone that money can by right now, lol..

carry on though

Jeffrey

All this talk these last few pages about different phones and we're going to act like the Int'l GS7 Edge still isn't the best phone that money can by right now, lol..

carry on though

Depends on your needs but feature wise it's hard to argue against the S7 edge.

Laekon

carry on though

I don't like the edge design. It doesn't add any useful features for me. But if the P10 isn't what I'm expecting I'll be getting a regular international S7. They are below $480 for new ones on Amazon.

Agent

MWC in a week. What's everyone most excited for? I am looking forward to the Huawei P10 and its variants and surprisingly I really want info dropped from the Tab S3.

For me personally, looking forward to seeing what Android Wear watches get announced. My OG Moto 360 first edition is starting to go downhill with battery life so I'm in the market for a new AW watch. I almost went for the LG Sport, but figured I would wait to see what MWC brought to the table first.

reKon

Banned
For the US market I think it's pretty important to have VoLTE on T-Mobiles band 12 (their extended range LTE). I doubt phones aimed for the international market have that.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that this point if you flash certain country CSC's you could get VoLTE. And when I say flash, I don't mean it in the sense of custom ROMs and having to do all this extra stuff, but just using Samsung's own Odin software and flashing once.

Also, just throwing it out there that I've had the Int'l S7 Edge on T-Mobile for months now and I've had no issues with 12 band or any phone calls. I did flash the UK firmware over and have stayed on it since.

this_guy

Also, just throwing it out there that I've had the Int'l S7 Edge on T-Mobile for months now and I've had no issues with 12 band or any phone calls. I did flash the UK firmware over and have stayed on it since.

That's good to know. I think about a year ago when band 12 was picking up steam there were phones that had band 12 that had firmware updates to remove band 12 because they didn't have VoLTE

RoKKeR

Got 7.0 on the S7E today – solid all around, redesigned notification center is pretty solid, though there doesn't seem to be quite enough separation between different notifications. I don't like that they moved brightness so that it only shows when the full notification panel is revealed. That extra swipe to change brightness is annoying. I also noticed that it defaulted to my display to 1080, which I honestly might just keep for the sake of battery. I haven't noticed much of a discernible difference yet and I imagine it will help battery life.

Anyways, I can't find the Settings option to select Nova Launcher as default home screen. It used to be under "Home Screen" but pressing that now just takes me to the home screen edit mode.

Groof

Anyways, I can't find the Settings option to select Nova Launcher as default home screen. It used to be under "Home Screen" but pressing that now just takes me to the home screen edit mode.
On stock it's moved to Apps > cog wheel in the action bar so try that

Got 7.0 on the S7E today – solid all around, redesigned notification center is pretty solid, though there doesn't seem to be quite enough separation between different notifications. I don't like that they moved brightness so that it only shows when the full notification panel is revealed. That extra swipe to change brightness is annoying. I also noticed that it defaulted to my display to 1080, which I honestly might just keep for the sake of battery. I haven't noticed much of a discernible difference yet and I imagine it will help battery life.

I didn't like the lack of brightness adjustment bar, but there is a setting to put it back without enlarging the whole notification panel.
Tap the drop down button next to the adjustment bar and choose "Show control on top".

I agree with you about the notifications not being as easily distinguishable too. Not sure if there's a setting tweak for that or not, but it's not something that bugs me enough to spend too much time with.

RoKKeR

I didn't like the lack of brightness adjustment bar, but there is a setting to put it back without enlarging the whole notification panel.
Tap the drop down button next to the adjustment bar and choose "Show control on top".

I agree with you about the notifications not being as easily distinguishable too. Not sure if there's a setting tweak for that or not, but it's not something that bugs me enough to spend too much time with.
Ah! That's great, thanks.

And yeah, I think the layout of the notifications is an improvement but they do need a bit more separation. I know that Themes would change the look of the notification bar but I never found one that I liked.

The screen wake/fingerprint unlock time is vastly improved. It wasn't necessarily slow before, but it is almost instant now. Great improvement there.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wish there was an explanation with major updates when they move settings around and add new features.

My Axon 7 got nougat and I have no idea how to do the split screen thing. Smh

Jeffrey

welp.

r78cHoR.jpg

I wish there was an explanation with major updates when they move settings around and add new features.

My Axon 7 got nougat and I have no idea how to do the split screen thing. Smh

either hold the app switcher button. Or in app switcher drag an app card to the top.

Jeffrey

at least it's human size

default dpi is tiny too! I feel old.

It's not actually THAT much smaller than the mate 9 due to its bezels.

Way better 1 hander though for sure.

I'm more worried about battery life. lost like 30% from just setting up and dling all my apps which is more excessive than any other phone ive used lol.

I do have a lot of usb-c certified chargers though so its not really an issue, but still.

LeleSocho

Banned
i really want to know the differences with the p9 lite. Is kinda weird how huawei releases this phone with p9 lite so close.

Well i chose the P8 for a few reasons, it already has Nougat/EMUI 5, it looks nicer with glass front and back, it has a higher clocked SoC (negligible) and more importantly it has 3GB instead of 2GB.

Also i got it new at 185€... couldn't say no.
It's incredible that we've reached the point that phones that run this well are this cheap.

tzare

Well i chose the P8 for a few reasons, it already has Nougat/EMUI 5, it looks nicer with glass front and back, it has a higher clocked SoC (negligible) and more importantly it has 3GB instead of 2GB.

Also i got it new at 185€... couldn't say no.
It's incredible that we've reached the point that phones that run this well are this cheap.

thanks! i also read that the camera is slightly better than the p9 lite (which has a 3GB version if i am not mistaken)

The thing is... will a p10 lite be also released in 2-3 months time?

LeleSocho

Banned
thanks! i also read that the camera is slightly better than the p9 lite (which has a 3GB version if i am not mistaken)

The thing is... will a p10 lite be also released in 2-3 months time?

Huh you are right the P9 lite has 3GB... i remembered wrongly my bad!
for the P10 lite it surely will be released soon but aside the aesthetic the performance can't change that much since it will always use the same 8x Cortex A53 cores for the cpu, maybe (MAYBE!) it will be at 10nm instead of 14nm but i doubt it.

Sincerely i couldn't wait because my previous phone broke and needed one immediately otherwise i would have waited the MWC to see the P10 Lite but i'm pretty much sure that it's not going to be a big leap from the P9 Lite/P8 Lite 2017.

tzare

Huh you are right the P9 lite has 3GB... i remembered wrongly my bad!
for the P10 lite it surely will be released soon but aside the aesthetic the performance can't change that much since it will always use the same 8x Cortex A53 cores for the cpu, maybe (MAYBE!) it will be at 10nm instead of 14nm but i doubt it.

Sincerely i couldn't wait because my previous phone broke and needed one immediately otherwise i would have waited the MWC to see the P10 Lite but i'm pretty much sure that it's not going to be a big leap from the P9 Lite/P8 Lite 2017.

yeah, if i needed a midranger i'd go p8 lite 2017 probably too, or A5 2016.. but huawei branding is confusing, and your average customer would expect the p9 lite to be the better phone vs the p8 lite 2017.... and with the p10 lite (probably) around the corner too.... and they also have honor phones with similar specs (they just announced honor 8 lite)

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/huawei-honor-8-lite-3986

edit. interesting that honor phones usually lack NFC, not that is very important unless you use the phone to pay with android pay or your bank app

Top Bottom