• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

So I kind of just came to a realization that iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8 are both going to look really similar to each other. Supposedly the iPhone 8 is going to pack a 5.8" display in a body that will be only slightly bigger than the iPhone 7 frame and dimensions wise the Galaxy S8 will be very close if not the same as the iPhone 8 given how small the bezel already is on top of the iPhone supposedly not having a curved display anymore. The Galaxy S8 will have a glass back like the previous S6/S7 and supposedly the iPhone 8 will have a glass back to support the addition of wireless charging. The S8 is using on-screen buttons this year and some rumors mentioned Apple adding on-screen buttons to the new iPhone. The only distinct design difference will be that the iPhone 8 is going to have dual-cameras and the S8 won't.

I also realized that (Assuming gsmarena is accurate) the Galaxy S8 is going to have a height/width nearly identical to that of the Moto X 2014 (Which I absolutely adored). I'm really excited to see how these phones end up panning out.

Jeffrey

Hope s8 us runs OK. I heard nougat plus Grace UI helped a lot with performance.

Sd835 should in theory be a smoother experience. 6gb ram wouldn't hurt either if us models get that option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNET

According to SamMobile's source, the Galaxy Tab S3 could start at around 700,000 won (or about $610, £485 or AU$800). If true, this would be a significant jump from the Galaxy Tab S2's current price -- $250 for the entry-level 32GB model -- and represent a reordering of the competitive landscape.

RoKKeR

v4a5k8bl.jpg

That is a good looking phone, damn. Really too bad about the fingerprint sensor, though. Maybe the S9 will get it under the glass as I'm sure Apple will be the first to do.

I've fallen back in love with my S7E after getting Nougat the other day. I'm still using Nova but the overall device performance has improved significantly, there are some small but significant improvements to usability and it generally just feels better to use.

reKon

Banned
I love the small bezels, but I'm not sure how I feel about that kind of curve yet. I feel like this is phone those "looks much better in person" things.

So why did Samsung decide to flip the buttons to begin with? Just seems weird layout wise. Like back button on your browser is on the left.

Doesn't it have a 820? That is flagship ish. I mean aren't ipads like 500-600?

they didn't "decide to flip" the buttons

they used that layout since the beginnings of Android when there was no official button order and then when Google did software buttons, Google went with the opposite layout of the most popular handsets on the market.

reKon

Banned
That is a good looking phone, damn. Really too bad about the fingerprint sensor, though. Maybe the S9 will get it under the glass as I'm sure Apple will be the first to do.

I've fallen back in love with my S7E after getting Nougat the other day. I'm still using Nova but the overall device performance has improved significantly, there are some small but significant improvements to usability and it generally just feels better to use.

You have the SD820 version right? I've actually been interested in this. I use to have the SD820 S7. On Android 6.0, I noticed better performance on my Exynos S7 Edge. This improved even more on Android 7.0.

I was wondering if Android 7.0 on the SD820 would improve performance to be at the same performance that my Exynos S7 Edge was when it was on Android 6.0.

I want side bezels.

I agree. My S7 Edge requires that I have a case in order to use it comfortably.

Without a case I have to delicately hold it by the sides with the tips of my fingers and thumb to avoid my skin touching the side of the screen. I can't say how many times I've been scrolling through a webpage and suddenly it zooms in because it thought the palm of my hand was a second touch input.

Granted, I always put my phones in cases, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but Edge screens really serve no purpose other than being a kinda cool look.

Toki767

All I have to say is the iris scanner on the S8 better be damn good if they expect people to give up the fingerprint scanner for it.

RoKKeR

You have the SD820 version right? I've actually been interested in this. I use to have the SD820 S7. On Android 6.0, I noticed better performance on my Exynos S7 Edge. This improved even more on Android 7.0.

I was wondering if Android 7.0 on the SD820 would improve performance to be at the same performance that my Exynos S7 Edge was when it was on Android 6.0.

No idea, it's a NA AT&T model. It's running great, though.

reKon

Banned
Unbelievable.

The $100 increase is surprising. Still, it shouldn't take long to see $150 off on these within a few months. Samsung just doesn't give a shit lol. It will be a nice product - the Tab S2 were the thinnest tablets on the market. They're just reusing old parts and try to maximize margin while there are barely any higher spec'd Android tablets.

They've surely been implementing some sort of rejection software to handle that.

Yes, but for example, my hand could be covering part of the screen which could be annoying during fullscreen videos.

But my sentence was neutral, and not with any pre-thoughts on whether I think from the start it's gonna be an issue.

I'm actually pretty curious and wanting to try it out. I've never used such a "bezelless" device before, I wanna pick it up and feel it, and use it, and see how it's like. I already like the big screen in small body size, I use a Mate 9 and I struggle quite a bit with holding the phone with one hand and using it.

reKon

Banned
Yes, but for example, my hand could be covering part of the screen which could be annoying during fullscreen videos.

But my sentence was neutral, and not with any pre-thoughts on whether I think from the start it's gonna be an issue.

I'm actually pretty curious and wanting to try it out. I've never used such a "bezelless" device before, I wanna pick it up and feel it, and use it, and see how it's like. I already like the big screen in small body size, I use a Mate 9 and I struggle quite a bit with holding the phone with one hand and using it.

Yeah that's a good point. Hopefully they've considered that and other things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
the 6p struggle race

at least it still takes nice photos
My iPhone SE lasts forever. Glad I shelved my 6P. But I'll need it on vacations with Google Fi.

Damn, half the people in this thread gonna be on iPhone by next year
I already am!

I made a decision that I flipflop too much and I'm going to keep my next phone, whatever it may be, though the iphone is in the lead given the leaks, for 2 years and not switch 5 times in between.

Obviously I'll still take advantage of being able to swap my work phone as much as possible to try new stuff but yeah. Think I gotta finally settle.

You gonna get one of those refurbished notes if that rumor is true?
1) why would i believe a 5 month old regurgitated rumor that Samsung has denied both times?
2) no because i still have my Note 7. they refunded me and haven't sent the box and i[m not calling them back.
3) at that point, why bother? i'll get a Note 8 a month later.
4) even if it really were true, which i doubt, it won't have CDMA support anyway and where i am, only Verizon and Sprint are worth using.

Top Bottom