• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

Average is 6.3 on Rotten Tomatoes. The percentage is misleading because there's only 10 reviews with one negative.

Yup people always seems to forget about the Average score on Rotten Tomatoes. Since the movie is so far averaging around a 6 I'm expecting the overall percent to fall.

The first film is one of the best action movies of the past 10 years. I expect this one to be great too. It's tracking similarly.

jett

D-Member
The first movie didn't get good reviews either apparently so you know what I don't give a fuck, still watching this.

SilentRob

It's a little too long, a few too many characters are completely wasted - some of them from the first movie - and a few too many jokes don't stick the landing...but when it works, boy does it work. There are quite a few amazing moments and action sequences here. The finale is a sight to behold.

It would have reaaaaally profited from being half an hour shorter though.

legacyzero

Banned
gSWL3LB.gif

IN MY VEINS

shaneo632

I really hated the weird digital zooming and blurring during the action in the first movie. Hoping it's not as bad this time.

Mrbob

Yup people always seems to forget about the Average score on Rotten Tomatoes. Since the movie is so far averaging around a 6 I'm expecting the overall percent to fall.

Just need a 6 out of 10 on RT to stay fresh.

Average scores are typically much lower for all movies. Even those with 90% plus RT scores.

Goodstyle

I'm a little surprised by all the people holding out for Roxy from the first film... I might need to rewatch it since I think I forgot about her.

Just walking out now, loved it. Big fan of the source material and the first film and this delivered basically everything I wanted from the sequel but with some caveats.

Some of the action gets a little too frantic for its own good and nothing ever comes close to the Church sequence from the first film but if you dug the first, the comics or Matthew Vaughn's style, you're going to lap this up. If you weren't a fan before, this won't change your mind. As a matter of fact, you'll probably despise this even more - its more of the first film but bigger, louder and crazier.

For me, 7.5/10. Loved it, just felt a bit overstuffed and sloppier in places compared to the tight, cohesive narrative of the first and Julienne Moore never quite hits the same heights that Jackson did but I still had a blast and I cannot wait to catch it again Thursday night. Definitely a great time if you're already on board with franchise.

Rainy

Banned
Just walking out now, loved it. Big fan of the source material and the first film and this delivered basically everything I wanted from the sequel but with some caveats.

Some of the action gets a little too frantic for its own good and nothing ever comes close to the Church sequence from the first film but if you dug the first, the comics or Matthew Vaughn's style, you're going to lap this up. If you weren't a fan before, this won't change your mind. As a matter of fact, you'll probably despise this even more - its more of the first film but bigger, louder and crazier.

For me, 7.5/10. Loved it, just felt a bit overstuffed and sloppier in places compared to the tight, cohesive narrative of the first and Julienne Moore never quite hits the same heights that Jackson did but I still had a blast and I cannot wait to catch it again Thursday night. Definitely a great time if you're already on board with franchise.

Sounds good. My girlfriend and I both loved the first one and we have tickets to see it Friday, excited!

So despite it not being as good as the first, Kingsman 2, for the most part, is the ideal sequel. It raises the stakes, it doesn't contradict details from the first movie (they pretty much stopped the movie the explain things I was ready to call BS on), it has enough throwbacks without repeating things from the first movie, it's funnier, but most importantly, it actually had something to say *cough * American politics *cough*

For the non-spoiler negatives, it's slower paced in addition to being a longer movie than the first. I had to scratch my head at Fox News being everyone's primary news source (I waited for a wink and a nod that never came).

It's a solid follow-up, but that surprise factor is gone.

shaneo632

5.7/10 average score now.

I'm off to a wedding today but might catch a midnight screening of it straight after, totally shitfaced. I figure it probably will only enhance my enjoyment.

Alienfan

A lot of complaints about the CGI, but everything I've seen in the trailers looks amazing and seamless. I liked the effects in the original, so maybe it won't bother me

shaneo632

A lot of complaints about the CGI, but everything I've seen in the trailers looks amazing and seamless. I liked the effects in the original, so maybe it won't bother me

Interesting. I'm a huge stickler for CGI so this'll be fun, but I agree, I thought the effects looked fine in the trailer.

Goodstyle

A lot of the critics shitting on this film seem to really dislike the first one. I thought the first one was beloved when it came out, did people sour on it over time?

ZeoVGM

Banned
For the non-spoiler negatives, it's slower paced in addition to being a longer movie than the first. I had to scratch my head at Fox News being everyone's primary news source (I waited for a wink and a nod that never came).

It's a 20th Century Fox movie, which usually means Fox will push their own network into it (this happened all the time on 24, for example).

Plus, let's be honest, there's nothing more "American" than Fox News.

GavinUK86

So for those who have seen it, what's the weird out of place sex joke in this one I'm hearing so much about? It's apparently in the middle of the film this time. The first didn't bother me, but I think we can all agree it came out of left field.

So for those who have seen it, what's the weird out of place sex joke in this one I'm hearing so much about? It's apparently in the middle of the film this time. The first didn't bother me, but I think we can all agree it came out of left field.
It could be the bit where
a device needs to be placed somewhere with a mucus membrane so Eggsy has no other choice but to place it in the woman's vagina. It's a pretty unnecessary gag that's ultimately just an excuse for a cheap sex joke.

When the trailers for the first movie came out I thought it looked super corny and figured the actor who played Eggsy would be another bland white dude lead.

Then when the marketing for the Golden Circle started rolling out and introduced the Statesmen I was like "huh this seems like anime".

So picked up the first movie and really liked it. The action is fun, the characters are cool and Eggsy had some heart in him. Looking forward to the second one.

Top Bottom