• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Premium cars don't really hold up. Back then they didn't account for tessellation or PBR. There was a nice comparison in the face-off thread.
Campaign is never been a matter of time (lol) or money, they want you to try online racing.
Different genres and not the same exact situation but look at games like SFV, Titanfall and any recent dice shooter. Multiplayer focused games yet people were going tf off at the lack of good single player content and it's something that all v$ developers took steps into rectifying. If shooter can barely get away with 0 single player, a semi sim (something much less accessible than a shooter like OW or even a fighting game) absolutely cannot.

I'd say it's more about driving competitively and less about driving how you want to.

I used to like going off the track and doing donuts and then blowing by everyone and taking first.

I liked pulling the e brake and crashing through the finish line.

I liked ramming into other cars.

Now there's not a way to play towards any meaningful progression unless it's just clean racing without being penalized.

Progression is now based in all modes so you aren't limited to playing in one way. If you want to do that go do arcade, you can collect the cars you want boost them using millage points and then rip through the field and collect credits, millage points and improve your driver level. If you want to play aggressive online you will be sorted out with people who are like minded.

This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn’t evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they’ve done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much. This is why I couldn’t care less about what people say in GT threads.

It should have been obvious it wasn’t their view that he was calling ridiculous. It’s almost IGN “too much water” bad.
All they had to do is just beat forza in whatever it does better than GT while still being GT. I don't remember anyone asking for a reboot. Just be better than the other exclusive racer while doing the stuff you are already good at doing.

GT4 sold 11.8 million... GT5 sold 12 million and GT3 sold 14.9 million... GT6 5.2 million.

You are way off on the numbers because 18 million is something out of this world :D

My mistake. Wasnt sure if i was remembering that right or not. Must have been thinking PSP+Prologue+GT4

So GT3>GT4=GT5>GT6

GT6 selling less than GT3 by almost 10m, and less than 4&5 by almost 7m

Xater

This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn’t evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they’ve done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much. This is why I couldn’t care less about what people say in GT threads.

They should fix their problems instead of just cutting parts. Try to figure out how to make the single player campaign more compelling. But that would actually be hard, so I guess they went the amount of least resistance again. From a content perspective this title is lacking compared to it’s competition and their own titles.

MaDKaT

This is hogwash. People wanted GT to evolve by fixing the issues that were wrong with the core game AND be competitive with the competition in terms of features.

88random

This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn't evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they've done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much. This is why I couldn't care less about what people say in GT threads.

Lol, so true.

Lack of cars and tracks is kinda disappointing, but we will get more eventually. And I can't believe people miss the campaign from GT 5 or 6. It was a drag, and I wouldn't call it racing at all, because overtaking AI cars which act more as an obstacle than another car is not racing. And other stuff like licence tests are basically still there.
If you're enjoying that more than online racing, then I guess GTS is not a game for you. Buy another game or wait for DLC to drop sometime in the future.

inner-G

Banned
The car amount is fine to me. It's the modes I'm salty about.
Yeah.

Of all the fixes people asked for over the years, I don't recall "Gut the entire single-player mode" coming up.

Updated graphics (cutting all the old car models) and better sound, running at PS4 resolution would have been good enough for me. I've never really been interested in playing GT online.

Synth

There are FOUR reviews factored into the metascore. It's far too early to start contrasting them against the other racers. It's just silly.

Regular Forza series has been superior to GT when it comes to the most important things as well, like car models, tracks, the driving, motor sounds, tire simulation and so on.

Most of the above (besides sounds) could be argued either way for past entries... but no way does Forza win for car models.

Hugstable

Banned
They should fix their problems instead of just cutting parts. Try to figure out how to make the single player campaign more compelling. But that would actually be hard, so I guess they went the amount of least resistance again. From a content perspective this title is lacking compared to it’s competition and their own titles.

The single player was already compelling enough (not GT6 version of it though, 3,4 and 5 were much better due to constant prize cars). All they needed to do was have it, playing through each cup and always going for gold while upgrading any car I want is what GT is too me

Yeap... GT5 sold about 200k units more than GT4.

Yeah about the same.

GT3 - 95 meta - 14.9m Sold
GT4 - 89 Meta - 11.76 Sold
GT5 - 84 Meta - 11.95 Sold
GT6 - 81 Meta - 5.17m Sold

There is no proof that critic reception has not had an impact on the franchise. Again it dropping could be for a number of reasons. Scores, platform, release date. genre decline, quality competitors, etc

I would expect GT Sports to sell more than GT6 though, as long as people are on board with the changes in the franchise.

bennibop

Yeah about the same.

GT3 - 95 meta - 14.9m Sold
GT4 - 89 Meta - 11.76 Sold
GT5 - 84 Meta - 11.95 Sold
GT6 - 81 Meta - 5.17m Sold

There is no proof that critic reception has not had an impact on the franchise. Again it dropping could be for a number of reasons. Scores, platform, release date. genre decline, quality competitors, etc

I would expect GT Sports to sell more than GT6 though, as long as people are on board with the changes in the franchise.

GT6 sales figures were low as it released just before PS4 launch

Stated that in some of the reasons it may have sold less (platform, release date). At the end of the day though there is no knowing the exact reason as to why GT has dropped from 15m to 5m from GT3 to GT6. It could be a number of reasons.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Actually it launched after the PS4 hit the market.

Stated that in some of the reasons it may have sold less (platform). At the end of the day though there is no knowing the exact reason as to why GT has dropped from 15m to 5m from GT3 to GT6. It could be a number of reasons.

GT3 was bundled with the PS2. I had one of those bundles. A GT PS2 bundle within a year of the PS2 launch would of course sell like crazy.

Actually it launched after the PS4 hit the market.

GT3 was bundled with the PS2. I had one of those bundles. A GT PS2 bundle within a year of the PS2 launch would of course sell like crazy.

As most big exclusives, they are usually all bundled at one point or another including GT5 and GT6. Though I did include that in an earlier post as well (bundles)

Apex

You can remove the "quality competitors" reason since no other game had a significant increase of sales during the period of GT6, even many lowered in sales with respect to their previous games which gives weight to the option of genre decline.

Stated that in some of the reasons it may have sold less (platform, release date). At the end of the day though there is no knowing the exact reason as to why GT has dropped from 15m to 5m from GT3 to GT6. It could be a number of reasons.

GT3 was an anomaly, GT4/5 sold what normal GT's sell. So GT did not 'Drop' from 3 to 5, GT6 of course was a special case in that it dropped on a console people were abandoning, try to find a game that sold as much as GT6 on the PS3 (or 360 for that matter) after it released.

You can remove the "quality competitors" reason since no other game had a significant increase of sales during the period of GT6, even many lowered in sales with respect to their previous games which gives weight to the option of genre decline.

Time frame of release is also important in that front. From 2010-2017 how much has a franchise sold. People will buy newest release, bundles can continue yearly, etc

c0de

There are FOUR reviews factored into the metascore. It's far too early to start contrasting them against the other racers. It's just silly.

It's silly because being able to play online was enabled like one day ago or something like this? For an online focused game, this is strange. Good for all reviewers taking their time.

Crash331

GT3 was an anomaly, GT4/5 sold what normal GT's sell. So GT did not 'Drop' from 3 to 5, GT6 of course was a special case in that it dropped on a console people were abandoning, try to find a game that sold as much as GT6 on the PS3 (or 360 for that matter) after it released.

Yeah, GT3 has that sort of Wii aspect going on. I know lots people that casually played games and had a PS2. They might buy 5-6 games the whole generation and GT3 was one of those games.

ethomaz

Banned
GT3 sales anomaly was due US where it sold over 7 million (over twice what GT games usually does in US).

That happened because in one holiday GT3 was bundled with every single PS2 sold in US.

If I remember right GT3 also was bundled with huge amount of PS2s in US. That is why its US sales are so abnormally high compared to other GT titles.
It was... US is the big discrepancy in GT3 sales.

If I remember right GT3 also was bundled with huge amount of PS2s in US. That is why its US sales are so abnormally high compared to other GT titles.

Unknown?

GT3 was heavily bundled in the US in 2001 when PS2 was still the new hotness. That’s why it did so much better. If you look at the breakdown by region it shows GT3 being more than double what every other GT has done in the US.

Synth

It's silly because being able to play online was enabled like one day ago or something like this? For an online focused game, this is strange. Good for all reviewers taking their time.

Yea, it not being up for reviewers earlier is strange, but it is what it is. There's no point doing...

Forza - 86
Project Cars - 85
GTS - 78

... when the GTS score is only four reviews, and not including any of the > 8 scores we're already aware of existing. If we need to wave metascores around like they're important, it would at least make sense to wait a day or two for a decent number of reviews to hit first.

GT3 was heavily bundled in the US in 2001 when PS2 was still the new hotness. That's why it did so much better. If you look at the breakdown by region it shows GT3 being more than double what every other GT has done in the US.

There is no denying that bundling may have had an effect on GT3 (again why i included it). There is also no denying that GT5 and GT6 were both bundled. To the same degree, is a different matter. I cant seem to find info if GT4 was bundled as well. What we do not know is how much each game sold off bundles alone, and whether those same people would have, or would not have bought that title without the bundle. What we do know is that people chose to buy it. We also know that many people did not buy the next installment (whether bundled or not)

Arguing sales on bundles will always be a "speculation" as we do not know, though there is also a known impact from them.

oRuin

It's an amazing game, can't stop playing today! So much to do. Everything from the ui to the handling is amazing. Deserves high scores. Well done PD!

-Amon-

Correct. I stopped arguing with whiners in Gt thread when gt6 came out.

The nitpicking this franchise has to get trough in this forum is unparalleled.

No other racing sim or game is under so much flak.

Probably because it remains the most successful, I guess.

Loudninja

Have they fixed the sound?
It is, for perhaps the first time in Gran Turismo's long history, a fine sounding one too. You won't find the drama and world-ending thunder of RaceRoom in the audio, but you will find a closer approximation of the wonderful music of the automobile, whether that's the finessed grinding transmission of a track-bred Audi R8 as it whines its way down through the gears or the off-throttle exhaust burble and pop of a road ready Jaguar F-Type. It all helps each car feel that little bit more distinct from another.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-17-gran-turismo-sport-review

The most pleasant surprise for me is the much-enhanced sound. At this stage I don't think there's anything in GT Sport that has seen a more drastic improvement. It's not class-leading but it's so much more nuanced now, with exhaust crackle layered over drivetrain whine and transmission noises. It's such a step-up.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/17/gran-turismo-sport-review

The car list is fine at its current state imo.

The real life track list is a let down. Only thing to lessen that blow is that Dragon Trail and Maggiore are god tier fantasy tracks.

Zafir

False equivalency frankly.

The biggest complaint is their focus on online, which is not what everyone plays GT for. Not about them having less cars or tracks or whatever.

I don't see how you can't see why some people would be disappointed by that? Did you not see the many threads complaining about SFV when Capcom did this?

The car list is fine at its current state imo.

The real life track list is a let down. Only thing to lessen that blow is that Dragon Trail and Maggiore are god tier fantasy tracks.

Kyoto park is amazing as well. Tokyo has a lot of variations as well. I also think Broad Bean is the best oval in the game due to it not being a complete oval.

Comparison as a whole is silly. GTS is not trying to do what other racer do and should not be directly compared.

Södy;252294257 said:
I had a PS2 Slim bundle with GT4 and Tourist Trophy from Germany.

Ah Tourist Trophy was such an awesome bike racer, imagine how it'd be if we got a sequel for it with the same GT Sport engine. Ah well at least there's Driveclub Bikes!

False equivalency frankly.

The biggest complaint is their focus on online, which is not what everyone plays GT for. Not about them having less cars or tracks or whatever.

I don't see how you can't see why some people would be disappointed by that? Did you not see the many threads complaining about SFV when Capcom did this?

At some level, the disappointment is understandable and reasonable.

The "surprise," however, comes off as both ignorant and disingenuous.

Top Bottom