• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

So, a pretty big patch (v 1.02 12GB) was released last night that made some pretty big changes. Also, the game was running off of the beta servers until last night as well. Because of these factors, and the fact that we didn't get it until last Thursday, are the reasons why I'm not posting an actual review until next week.

Minuses right now include:
- No opportunity to upgrade parts on cars as in the past. I'm actually ok with this, but it's a huge departure for series veterans.

Wait, what now? My last Gran Turismo game was GT3 and I was an addict...and a big part of the reason I enjoyed it was being able to upgrade and change out parts to change how the cars drove and handled.

Is that still a thing or no?

ghibli99

MC/OC sitting at 78, around where I figured it'd land (about an 8 avg). Will be interesting to see how I feel about this one. 3 was the pinnacle for me, Forza has become boring, so it seems my only hope is that I click with the online. If not, shit, might just have to play Wipeout instead. LOL

An online focused game that had been marketed as such from day one comes out and predictably people bitch about it being online focused, the scores after GT5 is expected. It is a feature lite game, but going by history it will be well supported and probably a year from now be a feature rich game. This is the Rainbow Six Siege or hell even the GT5 situation over again. Anyways, these scores were expected, expect more ignorant reviews incoming, if you enjoy racing games and you enjoyed the demo, buy it and enjoy your game, reviews are becoming less and less important these days.

Wait, what now? My last Gran Turismo game was GT3 and I was an addict...and a big part of the reason I enjoyed it was being able to upgrade and change out parts to change how the cars drove and handled.

You can tune (suspensions, gears, aero etc). You can't randomly fit turbos to every car.

Sygma

Impressions are just like I thought after the latest demo: Gameplay/Driving is awesome, but content sucks.

Hopefully DLC won't take too long to arrive. And obviously there should be some decent amount of free new content and not everything should be paid DLC.

Content is literally the same thing than in previous games except that, this time around its all about the "sport" component, aka the competitive aspect with probably the best online experience out there

Not sure why it sucks

While you can still tweak a ton of what goes on in the car, you're not adding body kits or turbo kits. You can still increase performance, though, allowing the car to qualify and race in a range of classes.

ghibli99

An online focused game that had been marketed as such from day one comes out and predictably people bitch about it being online focused, the scores after GT5 is expected. It is a feature lite game, but going by history it will be well supported and probably a year from now be a feature rich game. This is the Rainbow Six Siege or hell even the GT5 situation over again. Anyways, these scores were expected, expect more ignorant reviews incoming, if you enjoy racing games and you enjoyed the demo, buy it and enjoy your game, reviews are becoming less and less important these days.
What a dismissive attitude. They obviously still matter... just look at how big this thread is already, and most of the big outlets haven't even chimed in. I want ACG's take.

You can tune (suspensions, gears, aero etc). You can't randomly fit turbos to every car.

any car. You can't exchange parts. Period. (unless you count "exchange front spring with 30kN/m spring rate for springs with 50KN/m spring rate")

[and it's the right move for the game they are trying to make]

Torgo

No on replacing parts etc, but you can still tweak everything like suspension, brakes, transmission etc (and you can save different configs for each car)

This is a valid point. Honestly I feel if this was called GT:Online Edition reviews would probably be higher.

Maybe even better if it was 10 cheaper. To acknowledge it is not a feature complete package from a single player perspective.

What a dismissive attitude. They obviously still matter... just look at how big this thread is already, and most of the big outlets haven't even chimed in. I want ACG's take.

Reviews do not matter much to established franchises, smaller titles and upstart franchises maybe but not games that people are going to buy regardless. GT is a game people buy regardless, GTS will end up selling more than GT6 but probably below GT5's 11 million. The franchise moves units regardless of review scores.

While you can still tweak a ton of what goes on in the car, you're not adding body kits or turbo kits. You can still increase performance, though, allowing the car to qualify and race in a range of classes.
No on replacing parts etc, but you can still tweak everything like suspension, brakes, transmission etc (and you can save different configs for each car)

alrightey. Disappointing, but that won't dissuade my purchase. Thanks, folks.

Gurish

Hmm those reviews aren't so good for a new GT game, is it because most of the reviewers didn't like the new direction or are there problems with the game itself?

Hmm those reviews aren't so good for a new GT game, is it because most of the reviewers didn't like the new direction or are there problems with the game itself?
Seems to be the direction it's taken. GTS is a smaller, focused, online based game. None of the old fluff is there, it's about driving now more than anything.

MC/OC sitting at 78, around where I figured it'd land (about an 8 avg). Will be interesting to see how I feel about this one. 3 was the pinnacle for me, Forza has become boring, so it seems my only hope is that I click with the online. If not, shit, might just have to play Wipeout instead. LOL

That 78 is with only 4 reviews on metacritic so far though, lots more to add before the score is final.

Unknown?

Just because it doesn't line up with your views, doesn't make it embarrassing. GT is not good to some people, and good to others. I think we all should wait for more reviews come out before we make a clear judgement and not blow up on reviewers if their reviews are not favorable.
That isn’t what he was saying. Don’t pull that BS, he was clearly talking about the writing.

Reviews do not matter much to established franchises, smaller titles and upstart franchises maybe but not games that people are going to buy regardless. GT is a game people buy regardless, GTS will end up selling more than GT6 but probably below GT5's 11 million. The franchise moves units regardless of review scores.

Hasnt the franchise been on a decline recently? Gran Turismo 6 was at like 5 million or something. GT4 was at like 18 million. So 18>11>5 (Am I wrong on the numbers?) EDIT: GT4 11.8m, not 18m

Could be attributed to a number of things. Decline of racing genre, more quality competitors, quality of franchise, release date & platform, bundles etc But you cant be sure that review scores hasnt effected it when it has sold less than 13 million from two entries prior in the franchise

dracula_x

2 previous games, for comparison

77VAKDe.png

gxZniFu.png

GTS is 78 at the moment on MC (but only 4 review so far)

Is there a reason why they decided to start all over? Even the premium cars from PS3 days that they claim would hold up(and I think they would) are gone now right? I'm trying to figure out how T10 can crap out forza games every 2 years(and outside of 5, Good ones at that) but PD(the gawds) can't. Also this still could have had a traditional career mode, Tales from my ass but I'd imagine they had enough time she money to implement a proper one if they wanted too.

That isn't what he was saying. Don't pull that BS, he was clearly talking about the writing.

You guys get so offended about a game. I didn't pull anything and wrote on what I thought he meant. Please don't attack me in this manner. It's not that big of a deal - it's just a game.

DSPEED

Game is awesome. Don’t care how it’s reviewed. Same goes for Forza 7 and PC2. This year has been great for driving games.

Game is awesome. Don’t care how it’s reviewed. Same goes for Forza 7 and PC2. This year has been great for driving games.
Yeah, it's not that this game is bad, I understand what it's trying to do. I'm just salty that it doesn't appeal to a casual scrub like myself. I love career modes and earning tons of cars.

Unknown?

I agree they nailed what they want to do...but what they want to do is not what some fans want to do.
This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn’t evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they’ve done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much. This is why I couldn’t care less about what people say in GT threads.

You guys get so offended about a game. I didn't pull anything and wrote on what I thought he meant. Please don't attack me in this manner. It's not that big of a deal - it's just a game.
It should have been obvious it wasn’t their view that he was calling ridiculous. It’s almost IGN “too much water” bad.

magawolaz

Is there a reason why they decided to start all over? Even the premium cars from PS3 days that they claim would hold up(and I think they would) are gone now right? I'm trying to figure out how T10 can crap out forza games every 2 years(and outside of 5, Good ones at that) but PD(the gawds) can't. Also this still could have had a traditional career mode, Tales from my ass but I'd imagine they had enough time she money to implement a proper one if they wanted too.
Premium cars don't really hold up. Back then they didn't account for tessellation or PBR. There was a nice comparison in the face-off thread.
Campaign is never been a matter of time (lol) or money, they want you to try online racing.

ethomaz

Banned
Hasnt the franchise been on a decline recently? Gran Turismo 6 was at like 5 million or something. GT4 was at like 18 million. So 18>11>5 (Am I wrong on the numbers?)

Could be attributed to a number of things. Decline of racing genre, more quality competitors, quality of franchise, release date & platform, bundles etc But you cant be sure that review scores hasnt effected it when it has sold less than 13 million from two entries prior in the franchise
GT4 sold 11.8 million... GT5 sold 12 million and GT3 sold 14.9 million... GT6 5.2 million.

You are way off on the numbers because 18 million is something out of this world :D

This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn’t evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they’ve done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much. This is why I couldn’t care less about what people say in GT threads.

People love change until it happens.

Apex

It usually goes down, doesn't it? FM7 started at 93 or so??? pCARS2 also much higher at first.
Rushed reviews usually benefit more in the Forza case, as often the 10 and 9 come first and the low scores later, lowering its average in the days/weeks. In the GT case is the contrary and the average score starts low but slowly increase when later reviews grow. At least that is what I have noticed in the past. Makes you think if Forza games are crafted and delivered with the press sympathy (scores) in mind, and GT can't care less about them and it focus in the game and player's sympathy (sales). I mean not open servers to reviewers, many important features and content added after the reviews, no info given about the future of the game expansion or online plans that would for sure richen the reviews and up the scores, etc.

Anyway reviews these days are a joke. GT games are unique in the sense that appears only after a bunch of years, have a top notch craftmanship and are the top sellers of the genre but many reviewers don't even try.

It doesnt seem to be getting amazing scores. In video game terms a 78 on MC is decent at best

Most of the reviewers seem to like it. It's getting some negative points because of stuff like the online saves and content, but the core game seems to be a success.

I will never, ever not be salty about GT6 not getting a remaster. Since GT is through a semi reboot and with Sony being all about remasters, I wonder if we can still get them to do a remaster for GT6. Sport wouldn't make it pointless since it's taking the series in a different direction. If they can fund DC and not name it Gran Turismo just because some guy said no (even though the game would have done a trillion times better off the GT name alone), Sony can give us a GT6 remaster. Should have gave us that instead of throwing money down the drain on GR remaster and GR2.

inner-G

Banned
Seems to be the direction it's taken. GTS is a smaller, focused, online based game. None of the old fluff is there, it's about driving now more than anything.
I’d say it’s more about driving competitively and less about driving how you want to.

I used to like going off the track and doing donuts and then blowing by everyone and taking first.

I liked pulling the e brake and crashing through the finish line.

I liked ramming into other cars.

Now there’s not a way to play towards any meaningful progression unless it’s just clean racing without being penalized.

amar212

This is so silly. With GT5/6 the fans were complaining it didn’t evolve and was exactly the same as it always was. Many fans were saying GT5 should have only had the 200 premium cars and the standards were not needed, saying they should focus on quality over quantity. Now they’ve done that and people want it to be exactly how it was pretty much.

This should be the OT title and quoted on every page.

Top Bottom