• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch. Permanent? UP: Sure ain't!

On the fence? Pffff, you either have a 3DS now, or you don't and are waiting for kid Icarus, and if not that? then You probably are not getting one.

I have a 3DS and a Vita ( already ) and I have not touched it since I got my vita, dat UMVC3 and Ragnarok Odyssey Baby! Waiting for Kid Icarus....

How'd you know that Kid Icarus is one of the few games that could convince me. >.>

I miss games like Panzer Dragoon and it reminds me of a metro-sexual version. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This Just In: Nintendo to offer Snake Rattle N' Roll, Cobra Triangle, and used copies of Dunston Checks In to early adopters.

I know this is supposed to be a joke but that's two awesome NES games and a decent movie. I'd be thrilled if Nintendo offered those.

Actually, the rumour never mentioned the redesign having a second analog.

I suppose you're right that the article doesn't specifically mention including the second stick, but going through the effort of a redesign and still relegating the second stick (and L2/R2) to a bulky peripheral instead of neatly including it into a slightly larger frame would be...

...very Nintendo, really.

But what would be the point of redesigning the 3DS hardware then? What would they add that they couldn't just do with a rebrand, if that was their goal? Bigger screen, better battery and better cameras, but I really think if they were going to push a redesign this early, as the rumor states, it would be to add hardware controls. Controls that line up with the Wii U's needs pretty neatly, as well.

3DS lite will have a 2nd circle pad, this is nothing like the motion plus where Nintendo and third parties hardly gave a damn, and even then Nintendo bundled it with a few games. Third parties are pushing for it hard, I don't see any reason why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I own a 3DS but I would like a second analog built in because I have a cash bet with someone on GAF about that very issue and I like making money off chumps.
If its not the main Sku, like the XL version, the one who gets the second analog do you still win?

The 2nd analog peripheral didn't make much sense and it still happened.

I guess some people are speculating that Capcom was the reason that Nintendo had to release the peripheral, but if that's the case, why not speculate that Capcom will be the reason that Nintendo will have to add a 2nd stick to its revision?
There are quite a few 3DS games would play better with two sticks, which I guess is why Nintendo made it. But If they were going to make a dual stick revision, why make the add on in the first place? And I doubt Capcom would encourage them to make it. It wouldn't benefit them at all.

Yoona

Banned
3DS lite will have a 2nd circle pad, this is nothing like the motion plus where Nintendo and third parties hardly gave a damn, and even then Nintendo bundled it with a few games. Third parties are pushing for it hard, I don't see any reason why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

It's not a 3DS lite. If they make the thing any smaller it will be unplayable for anyone without babby hands. 3DS XL son.

Azure J

1:

Or

2:

On topic 150.00 is a steal at this point. Redesign or not. I can't wait to see the deals the Vita has.

If they can find a way to include a bigger 3D screen while making the bottom screen symmetrical somehow, I'm down for number 1. DSiXL would be a better footprint for it though. :p

massoluk

Banned

Meh, I still think it make even less sense if they're going to have 2nd circle pad become standard, but have circle pad pro being Gamespot exclusive.

HeySeuss

Holy fuck 150 is the sweet spot for me. Anybody know if this is on-store too or just online?

And is 4 Swords still free or has that been taken down?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Picking up a 3ds soon from a fellow gaffer. If it wasn't for that, I would've jumped in at $150.

Meh, I still think it make even less sense if they're going to have 2nd circle pad become standard, but have circle pad pro being Gamespot exclusive.
Its gamespot exclusive because not many games support it yet, when more games do support it and it really does become standard, thats when the revision will come out with it built in. Its a way to gouge interest, to see whether they should stock it in other stores, or whether they even need it in the revision, but I think third parties still remains the biggest reason, if it wasn't for them, Nintendo would have decided to include it built in already in the first place instead of releasing it as an addon.

seady

They should upgrade our status now.

Ambassador will now get upgraded to First Class Lifetime Ambassador (FCLA).
Non-Ambassador will now become new Ambassador.

Another 20 free games for the FCLA. 10 free games for the A.

Risible

Less than a year later, $100 cheaper. I am cry :(.

This is the number one reason why I didn't pre-order a Vita. Nintendo's gain is Sony's loss :).

Its gamespot exclusive because not many games support it yet, when more games do support it and it really does become standard, thats when the revision will come out with it built in. Its a way to gouge interest, to see whether they should stock it in other stores, or whether they even need it in the revision, but I think third parties still remains the biggest reason, if it wasn't for them, Nintendo would have decided to include it built in already in the first place instead of releasing it as an addon.
Who said it was becoming standard? If the games don't require a second stick to run, then there's no reason for it to be built in.

The M.O.B

Less than a year later, $100 cheaper. I am cry :(.

This is the number one reason why I didn't pre-order a Vita. Nintendo's gain is Sony's loss :).

jayneshiftyeyes.gif

Who said it was becoming standard? If the games don't require a second stick to run, then there's no reason for it to be built in.
Standard doesn't mean its forced, Nintendo and third parties are pushing dual sticks, of course not all games require it, but for games that do support it, it would make life easier.

Why are people so against it? I don't see any reason why Nintendo shouldn't do it.

bill0527

Holy fuck 150 is the sweet spot for me. Anybody know if this is on-store too or just online?

I didn't place it in my cart, but the in-store pick up option wasn't greyed out. You can probably buy it online and then select local pick up at your nearest store if they've got any in stock.

Standard doesn't mean its forced, Nintendo and third parties are pushing dual sticks, of course not all games require it, but for games that do support it, it would make life easier.

Why are people so against it? I don't see any reason why Nintendo shouldn't do it.
And what about the triggers? Would they be built in too? Games that support the CPP uses the triggers and the second stick along with the other controls. If its not built in then what's the point of a model that still has missing features? It would just lead to another peripheral to add the triggers, then leading to another redesign. You would be spending more money then if you just bought the CPP. If they are built in then there's no way you can call it a 3DS lite.

if they open the thing up to full virtual console (even just SNES/Genesis if N64 isn't possible) I might buy one as a portable VC machine. My brother picked one up and I got some extended play time with it, and the machine just feels so small. The screen is tiny, and playing RE:R it looks like the screen is smeared in vasoline when full 3D is on. Really soured me on the system)

Metallix87

They're pushing so hard, that only a handful of games support it, and none of them mandate it's use... yeah...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
if they open the thing up to full virtual console (even just SNES/Genesis if N64 isn't possible) I might buy one as a portable VC machine. My brother picked one up and I got some extended play time with it, and the machine just feels so small. The screen is tiny, and playing RE:R it looks like the screen is smeared in vasoline when full 3D is on. Really soured me on the system)

tell us when you're NOT soured on something, Scooter.

Except for the fact that all the major 3rd party system sellers use it.

Monster Hunters
and even Nintendo will be getting into the act
Kid

>.>

"All the major 3rd party system sellers use it"

*lists one 3rd party game, which also comes bundled with the CPP*

Anyway, nice sale. Nintendo's definitely not gonna make anything easy for Sony this time.

Oh god help! I am so tempted but I feel like there will be a better deal. Plus, there are games on the horizon I plan on occupying myself with...

watershed

Banned
If this is just a gamestop sale then isn't gamestop the one losing money and not Nintendo? Like all retailers do with these kinds of sales they're probably eating some money but hoping to make it back on games and accessories.

If this is just a gamestop sale then isn't gamestop the one losing money and not Nintendo? Like all retailers do with these kinds of sales they're probably eating some money but hoping to make it back on games and accessories.

Yeah, the fact that Nintendo made the CPP and Xenoblade Gamestop exclusive probably helped this along.

Top Bottom