• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop drops 3DS price to $150 right before Vita launch. Permanent? UP: Sure ain't!

Quadratic

I'm biding my time until 2 sticks are standard. This is looking like they are starting to clear stock. Possibly for an E3 announcement?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Great price especially with the games that have come out both retail and download over the past month. Plus the next 2 months seem to have a decent amount of games. Would be hard for me to pass up if I didn't pick up the Zelda bundle right after Xmas.

PS: I've yet to play a game where I need a 2nd stick.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm biding my time until 2 sticks are standard. This is looking like they are starting to clear stock. Possibly for an E3 announcement?
Why would they be clearing stock in February for a June announcement?

You'd have to pay tax from Gamestop though, making the true price closer to $165. Now if it was Amazon, 150 would be 150 and a better deal.

Possibly shipping as well, usually free on Amazon and I'm not sure on GS.

shira

No, it's a sale that ends on 2/12. Someone on CAG mentioned that managers said this sale was initiated by Nintendo to grab people on the fence. Haha...good timing eh.
Launch the redesign on 2/13.
- dual stix
- better battery

Can gamestop have combobreaker deals? Cancel your Vita preorder for $10 off a 3DS?

Massa

I'm starting to think the 3DS will be the redesigned Wii U controller, just so Nintendo can give it away for free.

I live two feet away from New Hampshire. No tax, bitches!

Err wat? Dont online stores usually charge tax where they have a physical store in the state? Which would presumably be everywhere for GS.

And yeah, looks like shipping is several dollars from GS too, even if you go with the cut rate "who knows when it'll be delivered" option. Total would be near $170.

Basically this is probably the same price as it would be from Amazon @169.99 if you live where Amz is tax free and get free shipping.

Although checking Amz right now, 3DS appears only from resellers and at a $10 premium. Shrug.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
No, it's a sale that ends on 2/12. Someone on CAG mentioned that managers said this sale was initiated by Nintendo to grab people on the fence. Haha...good timing eh.

This should be in the OP, since everyone is ignoring it :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I own a 3DS but I would like a second analog built in because I have a cash bet with someone on GAF about that very issue and I like making money off chumps.

Who was stupid enough to bet against that?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Has Nintendo ever had a handheld redesign ready to go at the same time a new Nintendo console hits the market?

I'm unsure.

However, the Game Boy Advance released on March 21, 2001 and the GameCube released on September 14, 2001, so they did do the harder job of launching a new handheld and a new console six months from each other.

KillGore

I doubt this price drop has to do with a redesign, I mean it's a long ways till June, for E3. They're just trying to hit the last nail in the coffin (at least the coffin that some people claim that exist already)

fernoca

Quite interesting and aggressive move by Nintendo, surprisng actually.

But yeah, is a special sale to counter the release of the Vita, not a permanent price-drop...at least not for now.
They are releasing the stand alone pink unit in a few days too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 3DS's first year has been pretty fascinating, feels like a roller coaster. Nintendo is definitely taking the Vita seriously. Four colors, a $100-150 price difference, and a Mario, Mario Kart, Star Fox, and Zelda... They're playing a lot of their cards very early this gen.

Apath

A $100 difference between it and the Vita? Now we're talking.

The 3DS's first year has been pretty fascinating, feels like a roller coaster. Nintendo is definitely taking the Vita seriously. Four colors, a $100-150 price difference, and a Mario, Mario Kart, Star Fox, and Zelda... They're playing a lot of their cards very early this gen.
Nintendo completely dropped the ball on the lead up to the launch and the launch itself, but since then, it has been non-stop Nintendo on their A-game.

Err wat? Dont online stores usually charge tax where they have a physical store in the state? Which would presumably be everywhere for GS.
Of course they aren't charging tax for sales occurring in a state with no tax. What state do you think would be collecting the tax on something like that?

daffy

Banned
The 3DS is also beautiful. I remember that was the biggest difference between a lot of people deciding between the DS and the PSP back in the day. The PSP was much more slick and technical than the DS, while the DS was incredibly bulky and ugly. This time, however, the 3DS is very slick and no slouch graphically or technically, and is much more portable than the Vita. Now with the $100 price difference, it's pretty obvious which one will win out for for the next couple of months before Sony gets their shit together.

Spoken like a true ambassador.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Still waiting for that second analog.

Last I saw most Nintendo fans on here don't think a second analog is coming, sort of like they all thought the analog add on was a fake.

Wow. Not to derail this thread, but what mindset could they possibly be in?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Who was stupid enough to bet against that?

s4dFG.png

Maedhros

The 3DS is also beautiful. I remember that was the biggest difference between a lot of people deciding between the DS and the PSP back in the day. The PSP was much more slick and technical than the DS, while the DS was incredibly bulky and ugly. This time, however, the 3DS is very slick and no slouch graphically or technically, and is much more portable than the Vita. Now with the $100 price difference, it's pretty obvious which one will win out for for the next couple of months before Sony gets their shit together.

Wow...

Erethian

Splitting the userbase with a new default control method + lack of a major first party franchise to push adoption of the add-on + lack of any hardware bundle

antonz

Nintendo is playing quite aggressive. Makes sense though timing wise for sale. Competitor launching so do a temp sale to make it that much more appealing and maybe get fence sitters to jump in and hold off on Vita

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Splitting the userbase with a new default control method + lack of a major first party franchise to push adoption of the add-on + lack of any hardware bundle

Oh yeah, just like the motion plus on the Wii.

Wait.

Why are people making an issue out of nothing. I got my 3DS at Frys for 139 some time ago. I don't remember people saying a redesign was imminent when that sale occurred.

Apath

I mean, his argument that the DS was that much less portable than the PSP (and that something has now changed in that regard to the 3DS vs. PSV) is questionable, but do you really doubt the conclusion? Nintendo has a handheld with a fleshed out library and a $100 price advantage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I mean, his argument that the DS was that much less portable than the PSP (and that something has now changed in that regard to the 3DS vs. PSV) is questionable, but do you really doubt the conclusion? Nintendo has a handheld with a fleshed out library and a $100 price advantage.

And four colors.

fernoca

up just taking things out of proportion, unless I'm thinking the wrong bet. stump made an open bet,saying that the redesign would be announced/released by some point, someone took the bet (just because) saying that it won't (during that specific time). And even stump said that if he "won" but turned out that past that date, nothing was announced/released he would pay back.

And "the fans" didn't said the add-on was fake, they said the rumored one was (which ended been half fake), and the actual one was an additional thing, not mandatory (because of the limited support and since when it is connected it doesn't work on anything unless the game is programmed for it).

AniHawk

Nintendo completely dropped the ball on the lead up to the launch and the launch itself, but since then, it has been non-stop Nintendo on their A-game.

the big one will be the 2d mario game coming out this year. i know a lot of people settled for mario 3d land because they hate themselves (i know i do), but something like that will help the redesign sell more like the ds lite did when it took off.

system's also missing a pokemon game. they screwed up massively by putting black/white on the ds.

Bullza2o

Interesting move by Nintendo. But I have a feeling that most if not all people planning to get a Vita are those who are really thinking about it and not just "on the fence."

Not sure a $20 would make much of a difference.

Probably gonna hurt there profits more then it hurts vita sales.

Hopefully its just clearing stock for the 3DS+

Polari

I don't think they're too worried about playing their own cards early, as I think Nintendo now realise third party support is crucial going forward. If they don't get the momentum early on they risk bleeding developers to Vita. Not to mention that Star Fox and Zelda are ports so there's still plenty of room to release new games in the series, and Mario wasn't of the New Super Mario Bros. line which is the primary line at the moment and is already in development.

fernoca

Interesting move by Nintendo. But I have a feeling that most if not all people planning to get a Vita are those who are really thinking about it and not just "on the fence."
Yeah. If anything, is probably to get a bump in sales. So whatever amount of Vitas, Sony says they shipped; they can counter by saying that they sold more...or just that 3DS saw an increase of 1 trillion% or something. :p

Top Bottom