• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k18 Might Be The Most Broken Game From a Major Publisher in Some Time GIF HEAVY

Raw64life

It's the most broken game since..........last year's game.

It's clear that 90% of the budget of these games goes into marketing and advertising, and then most of the scraps they are left with go to improving the presentation, with virtually no consideration given to improving the gameplay.

There's really not much else to say at this point. 15+ years of this same garbage engine. It's been time for a new engine for like a decade now and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. The only thing people can do to stop it is stop buying this shitheap.

Gator86

Does MLBTheShow also suffer from this or is it like the exception to the rule?

I think The Show is normally pretty good, although there's some stagnation, I believe. But that might be a slightly different scenario since that's a 1st party game. Even though there's no competition, there's a reason to try and keep the quality up.

Regardless of how the games sell, 2K HAS to know Yukes is makes garbage games and is showing no signs of improvement. I’d say ask at what point does their corporate image come first, but I know how this all works...

I really hope my kid likes this on Christmas, because I hate myself for buying this now. And since it’s Yukes, I know it won’t be fixed by the then.

Sephzilla

Regardless of how the games sell, 2K HAS to know Yukes is makes garbage games and is showing no signs of improvement. I’d say ask at what point does their corporate image come first, but I know how this all works...

I really hope my kid likes this on Christmas, because I hate myself for buying this now. And since it’s Yukes, I know it won’t be fixed by the then.

If I remember right, WWE demanded Yukes be kept on as the WWE game developers when the WWE rights went on sale after THQ went under.

Orca

I've played through the first season of MyCareer and the only broken thing I've had so far was people telling me back stage that I was talking shit about myself.

Lothars

What were the best versions of the Yukes WWE games?

I know Here Comes the Pain, but wasn’t the last couple of last gen games (before any next gen versions) pretty like 2k13? 2k14?

Honestly as a lapsed fan it’s not even like the new rosters are a selling point. Give me a full attitude era game of WWF, WCW/nWo, ECW.
Yeah those were good, I have 2k16 and I think it's a pretty good game as well.

If I remember right, WWE demanded Yukes be kept on as the WWE game developers when the WWE rights went on sale after THQ went under.

Yeah, I read that too. I I wonder what it is that WWE likes so much about them. Maybe a breeze to work with? Or maybe they just see the easy money coming in and don’t care about the rest. There have been a lot of crap WWF/WWE games through the years, so I’m sure it’s just the easy money and maybe fear of change.

Hasney

Here's another one. Trying to get a trophy where you catch a diving opponent and carry them around the ring. Ember wasn't doing her finisher properly, would just do a wake up taunt on the top rope and then get down, so I tried changing them to springboards... And this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmdWGqMF6c

I can't get up, clearly because the AI wants to do something and can't work out what.

Shauni

Yeah, I read that too. I I wonder what it is that WWE likes so much about them. Maybe a breeze to work with? Or maybe they just see the easy money coming in and don’t care about the rest. There have been a lot of crap WWF/WWE games through the years, so I’m sure it’s just the easy money and maybe fear of change.

They got dirt on the McMahons

Sephzilla

They're probably incredibly cheap to work with and WWE knows their fanbase is going to keep buying these games anyway

FHIZ

Pretty sure it’s a “they want a game every year” situation and might as well keep the devs who made it and can easily throw one out every year than actually build it from the ground up.

Not to get too deep into WWE politics, but they generally don’t give a shit about what the fans want, this goes double for the ones on the internet that complain their product is shit (hi, Jinder), so I can see that ideology carrying over. Here, we’re going to point it out, but this is Neogaf, the smarks of video game fandom, but as long as the dumb marks pay for it, WWE gonna keep putting that shit out, brother.

Here's another one. Trying to get a trophy where you catch a diving opponent and carry them around the ring. Ember wasn't doing her finisher properly, would just do a wake up taunt on the top rope and then get down, so I tried changing them to springboards... And this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmdWGqMF6c

I can't get up, clearly because the AI wants to do something and can't work out what.

I love how it's a 4 star match... with 3 minutes of Ember Moon going back and forth into and out of the ring, as Nia jax is literally dead.

for those 3 mins of going in and out of the ring, it went from a 3.75 star match, to a 4 star match.

Next time someone makes a "games that made you cry" thread, I'm gonna have to post "WWE 2K18 footage."

TKbupcK.gif

This is like Monty Python level brilliance.

Rafus

Thanks for putting this together Hasney! Since not a lot of people is playing this it's hard to find reports of its brokeness.

ev0

Did IGN publish a "this is THE year Yukes gets it right" article for 2k18 this year? Those usually crack me up in retrospect but I dont think I saw one, but I didnt look hard.

Also, fantastitc OP lol

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Ahhh, the free-pass you get when you have a game with a nice official license attached to it!

People really overestimate how bad these games are. They’re glitchy, they’re stagnant, but each year there’s enough fun to be had and as a fan of the current WWE product I enjoy them. The main issue is I wish they’d give us more than 1 WWE game. THQ was trying to do different things which lead to WWE All Stars which was an incredibly fun approach to a more casual WWE game. Now pretty much all the novel ideas are stuck on mobile, like isn’t it stupid that Netherrealm makes a WWE game about superpowered wrestlers and it’s stuck on iOS and Android? I feel like the WWE games used to be how a lot of people got into wrestling and I can’t imagine the 2K games are doing that.

I think we've just kind of taken it for granted that wrestling games are going to be bad from here on out, and nobody really cares anymore.

It's like how super hero / licensed movie games were 10 years ago. They were all terrible and we just pretty much took it for granted that any licensed game was going to be bad. And then Batman Arkham Asylum came out and even if you don't like that game now, it was seriously the first good licensed movie game in ages, maybe since Spiderman on PS2 which still wasn't even that good it just wasn't bad so it was shocking.

Licensed games are going down the shitter again as companies don't care about making good games for the license, they just need quick easy cash-ins to pay for the license.

The WWE games are just a sad example of a game series being taken hostage by a license. And, unfortunately, there is a sort of Stockholm Syndrome with it, not just because 'the bad game that you're comfortable with,' but because Yukes/2K has done a lot of work in terms of building a huge roster. Like, if they left Yukes/2K annd gave the license to someone else to try, we could get a really creative good new wrestling game, but it'd likely be way scaled back in terms of roster and the simulation-type stuff for the first few years.

THe series is pretty hopeless now. It appeals to people who have bought the game every year for a generation, but has no cross over casual appeal at all, and I don't know if they could ever get that back.

People really overestimate how bad these games are. They're glitchy, they're stagnant, but each year there's enough fun to be had and as a fan of the current WWE product I enjoy them. The main issue is I wish they'd give us more than 1 WWE game. THQ was trying to do different things which lead to WWE All Stars which was an incredibly fun approach to a more casual WWE game. Now pretty much all the novel ideas are stuck on mobile, like isn't it stupid that Netherrealm makes a WWE game about superpowered wrestlers and it's stuck on iOS and Android? I feel like the WWE games used to be how a lot of people got into wrestling and I can't imagine the 2K games are doing that.

Yeah, I feel the same way about how people could get into wrestling through wrestling games, or at least, still enjoy wrestling games without being into wrestling on TV. Wrestling games used to have major cross over casual appeal because they were incredibly fun party games. They usually all supported 4 players simultaneously, and the good ones made it easy to quickly pick up and feel like you're contributing to the games even for someone who doesn't know much about how the game works. If you had 3 friends and 2 of them didn't really know much about wrestling or wrestling games, you could still do a TLC match and the people who knew little about it could still grab a chair and contribute to the match in some way. Despite the series kinda-sorta going the 'sim' approach, it made the older, simpler games a more accurate representation of professional wrestling. Pro wrestling is a choreographed, staged fight between people who are caricatures of real life... If the better man won every match, then pro wrestling would be boring, so instead you create drama by giving scenarios where someone who shouldn't win can still look like they might win (I don't mean 50:50 booking, but just basically any match that isn't against enhancement talent). The old games intrinsically sort of understood this (I think unintentionally), so that someone who doesn't follow wrestling and who doesn't play wrestling games could still pick The Undertaker or Stone Cold, and then do a reasonably decent job getting in some offensive moves, enough to contribute to a match against someone who may play the games all the time. The people who played the games a lot understood the strategy of a match, which was more about planning out moves and countering finishers than it was about knowing the technical aspects of it... So someone who was a seasoned player would win most of the time, but every once in a while, your buddy who just picked it up the first time could get lucky and spam chair shots or some other "cheap" mechanic and would win... and that's like the quintessential essence of pro-wrestling. The Undertaker upset Hulk Hogan at Survivor Series or This Tuesday in Texas or whatever because Jake Roberts slid a chair in under the tombstone... ANd old wrestling games captured that much better than the new ones, where in the effort to make a "simulation" of pro wrestling they've, they've lost the essence of pro-wrestling.

I don't think people over estimate how bad they are, but the people who buy the games and enjoy them have become accustomed to the stilted gameplay and the series can really only appeal to someone who takes all of these weird, bad design decisions for granted. Now, I haven't put a significant amount of time into a WWE game since WWE 2K16... I just got fed up with that game and don't feel the need to spend $60 on the new ones (I still follow the games tho), so I know a lot of things have changed since then, but I still think there's serious, fundamental flaws with the basic elements of how the game works, and I don't think most of those elements have really changed, just been tweaked. The games can be enjoyed, but only if you really understand how the mechanics work and have a blind spot for the baffling design decisions in the game.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago, the game was going to make a big push into being a 'sim,' to make it a wrestling sim. And I was like, okay, whatever, let's see if they pull it off. But, they haven't in 2 or 3 years. They're stuck in this in-between state of trying to simulate a fight and trying to simulate wrestling and they don't get either correct. The game is very complex for a new player to get into, whether it's things like chain wrestling at the beginning, or the grapple system, or how moves work, and most of these don't have any logical reason for them it's just "how it is," and you can only understand that if you've been playing the game for a long time. When I Was playign WWE 2K16 the best explanation for this was with how holds vs. moves worked. To perform a move (e.g., a body slam), you'd initiate a grapple, then press a face button and press a directional button at the same time. However, to perform a hold (e.g., a abdominal stretch or something), you'd initative a grapple, then tap or repeatedly press the face button, and hit a direction. This isn't intuitive and because the game lacks input feedback, it'd be very confusing. Like, if you press a button and your character doesn't do something, you intrinsically think to press the button again, and that second press is what turns it into a hold instead of slam. Friends would come over and we'd fire up a game only to be frustrated because they could only perform sleeper holds over and over and even with a guy like Hogan (who I don't think performed a single sleeper hold from 1985 - 1993 in WWF), was turned into the king of sleepers. A problem with this would be that holds would get punished by the game, your character would get booed, you'd get negative feedback from the announcer, you wouldn't get your special meter building up, you wouldn't deal damage, etc. I had to come on gaf and ask "How the hell do you body slam a guy? All I can do are sleepers!" This is only one example (and maybe this one's been changed), but these sort of unintuitive design decisions permeate the whole game.

I know they've tweaked the very unpopular submission system and so it's probably different now, but again, it was a weird design decision, where they were making a professional wrestling game, but then trying to add these "sim" like mechanics to it... that wouldn't really make it into any more of a sim, they'd just abstract out the wrestling and put that into a marble-based minigame. It ended up creating this really inbalanced, unintuitive system where performing rudimentary setup moves like, say, body slams or suplexes, ended up being a lot more complex and difficult than performing the wrestler's special move, which would usually just require pressing 1 button (Triangle, or w/e). They've maintained the (smart) simple approach to do a special, which is just hit one button at the right time (a decision that THQ/Yukes games smartly introduced ages ago), but then they've made everything else into this "sim" mode which loses the point of wrestling games. The story mode was even worse in this way, back when they had the Hulkamania mode or the Steve Austin mode, where doing simple things was incredibly difficult, and you'd spend 5 minutes just desperately trying to figure out how to get your opponent onto his stomach/prone so that the game would initiate a QTE cut scene where your character would perform these very advanced sequences of maneuvers by the player just hitting A or X a couple of times.

Just fundamentally the decisions to make the game that way are weird decisions for a pro-wrestling game, and the game ends up existing in this place that isn't a wrestling simulator (but has some wrestling simulator aspects), it's not a fighting simulator (but tries to do some stuff from EA MMA and other fight sims), it's not an arcade wrestling games (but tries to do a lot of arcade wrestling aspects), and so it ends up not having a good balance of anything and it gets pulled in these weird decisions. It then tries to abstract everything out into weird mini games (the pin mini game, the submission mini game, the 'grab the belt' ladder match minigame, climb the cage minigame, etc).

Apdiddy

What's sad to is to me, the models/animations/graphics still look like PS2/Xbox era graphics (or maybe PS3/360). They do cosmetic improvements but a lot of this falls on 2K and on WWE.

Imagine a wrestling game using Frostbite or given to another publisher.

I always get WWE 2K games when they drop in price or a couple of months before 2K shuts down the online for the previous iteration and quickly do the online trophies (which is even more annoying).

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I've never played Wrestling games but that video and those gifs are absolutely hilarious. That video actually had me crying at times. That might have sold me on this to play with friends than anything else.

Effect

Yeah, I read that too. I I wonder what it is that WWE likes so much about them. Maybe a breeze to work with? Or maybe they just see the easy money coming in and don't care about the rest. There have been a lot of crap WWF/WWE games through the years, so I'm sure it's just the easy money and maybe fear of change.

Maybe they own stock in the company? If they keep demanding they make the game one has to wonder if they have a financial reason for it. The cost to have the game made shouldn't matter to them after they sell the rights. That would be on 2K or who else gets them.

Hasney

This is hilarious. What the hell is he doing!? The pose he struck at the end of the gif had me rofling!

It just looks so weird!

Basically, if you do the Val Venis money shot and someone punches you while you're posing on the top rope, you just get pushed back. In a cage match, that puts you between the cage and the ropes and if you keep trying, eventually you can even leave the cage doing that.

What were the best versions of the Yukes WWE games?

I know Here Comes the Pain, but wasn’t the last couple of last gen games (before any next gen versions) pretty like 2k13? 2k14?

Honestly as a lapsed fan it’s not even like the new rosters are a selling point. Give me a full attitude era game of WWF, WCW/nWo, ECW.

I bought 2K14 the xmas after it was out, and that was fun. So was 13.

Of course, HCTP is GOAT.

You guys are being very unfair to the developers. It's really hard to do collision correctly on a box. That's a complex shape to get right.

Seik

Banned
I usually don't like glitched games, but sports games can bring some awesome GIFs to the table so I'll give a thumbs up to this one. :lol

I could have seen myself breaking down and buying the Switch version at some point. Won’t have to worry about that anymore but my life is definitely more complete now that I’ve seen that GIF.

Hasney

Universe mode just booked this for the Wrestlemania main event between Kevin Nash and Roman Reigns.

Look, I get it, no-one wants to see that match, but this is over the top.

Didn't even realise there was no ref in the ring until I went for the pin and it just picked him up instead.

Chun-Li

All of the Yukes wrestling games were super busted in many ways but the big difference here is that the old ones actually used to be fun.

In the old Smackdown games you could get people stuck in looping animations if you did a running grapple based Special. This led to some hiiiilarious results. Imagine someone selling the Cobra Clutch forever but the other guy isn't even applying the move anymore.

Top Bottom