• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

Tagg9

It sounded good all the way until they said it would affect the single player campaign. Damn it, Bioware - you nearly pulled it off!

An-Det

You can get the ending you want without it, and it's a cool bonus for those who want to play with friends. It was done by a separate studio so it's not like it took away from Bioware's work, and it's not competitive multiplayer. It's pretty much the best we could have hoped for with regards to multiplayer, I can't wait to hear more details.

"Galaxy Readiness" might be the worst thing I have ever heard. Love Mass Effect and I'm not too worried about the Co-op since it is optional but this just makes me kinda embarrased to play video games.

"I'd love to go out and see my friends but I can't leave my galaxy like this, IT COMPLETELY ISN'T READY YET!!!!"

Derrick01

Banned
Tagg9 said:
It sounded good all the way until they said it would affect the single player campaign. Damn it, Bioware - you nearly pulled it off!

It doesn't affect us single player people. All it does is give bro-op people another way to fill their bars up for their single player. You can get your bar completely filled by playing single player.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Tagg9 said:

couldn't read the whole thing, I see.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have a long and storied history of shitting on BioWare this generation, but honestly this doesn't bug me. They lost the desire to make full-fledged RPGs with ME2, this is just the natural progression of their current design ethos. At least it's not deathmatch with perks and you can still max out their little win meter by ignoring it wholesale.

Hylian7

So if I understand this right....does this mean people can play ONLY multiplayer and get to the end of the game? I don't like the sound of that at all.

Okay, I don't mind this as long as it's true you can still get the optimal ending without having to play it.

I'm not worried actually. I'm sure it will be ridiculously fucking easy to get the maximum galaxy readiness level or whatever to get the “good” ending without touching co-op. ME2's ending was based on ship upgrades mostly, which were bought with planet mined elements that I had a metric ton of by the end of the game. Co-op will probably just make the SP even easier.

Secondly, wasted resources is moot since a seperate team worked on the co-op. I doubt that it's that integral to the SP. That would be too much effort. Remember the imported save feature of ME2 where your choices from ME1 were to have a big impact? 90 percent of that content was emails. My guess is co-op will have as much impact on the SP as MP in AC:Brotherhood had on that game.
The worst thing that will probably happen is that this will simply feel like tacked on co-op to justify EA's online pass and non-story related co-op DLC they can make money off of.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Nah seeing the bar or not really makes no difference. Like it's been said already ME2 had a very similar (and dumb) system, but with party members instead of races.

Though I don't know why you need to do errands for people/races to get them "ready" when a massive fleet of giant robot ships are coming to destroy you and everything you ever knew. They really need to straighten out their priorities.

Why is it so far fetched for video game races to not work together during a time of great need when we have examples of that during actual human history? Expect more out of your virtua races than real life maybe?

Derrick01

Banned
Hylian7 said:
So if I understand this right....does this mean people can play ONLY multiplayer and get to the end of the game? I don't like the sound of that at all.

Extremely doubtful. There's going to be a set number of missions most likely and when you finish them you can bring that progress to your campaign and it will chip in towards your galaxy bar.

So that way you can get the best ending without doing all of the side stuff in single player or whatever.

DatBreh said:
Why is it so far fetched for video game races to not work together during a time of great need when we have examples of that during actual human history? Expect more out of your virtua races than real life maybe?

We haven't faced extinction as a species yet. Independence Day taught me we'd be alright though!

Also, I doubt we've had a real life situation like in ME2. Like when the Spanish were conquering all those tribes I doubt one of them said "Man I'd love to help out but I need to take care of my daddy issue first, it's clearly more important"

Derrick01 said:
It doesn't affect us single player people. All it does is give bro-op people another way to fill their bars up for their single player. You can get your bar completely filled by playing single player.
Basically. So think of it like this,
"Do you like only playing single player? Then you can achieve the best ending through (probably) more difficult or time consuming task"
or
"Do you and your friends like the MP more than the single player but still want to beat the game with the best ending? Then lvl up your Galactic Readiness here and skip the stuff in SP that you find tedious."

Atleast I think that's how it's going to work. Sounds cool to me.
I hope they offer split-screen.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Derrick01 said:
Extremely doubtful. There's going to be a set number of missions most likely and when you finish them you can bring that progress to your campaign and it will chip in towards your galaxy bar.

So that way you can get the best ending without doing all of the side stuff in single player or whatever.
You know, so you can avoid those last vestiges of story and character development and get back to the best part-shooting stuff!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hylian7 said:
What? No, you can't even play as Shepard in the multiplayer. These just put extra points on your Galaxy Power rewards card that you can redeem for More Unity™ at the end.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Better than matchmaking/competitive. They should segregate that with an MMO.

Complistic

Tagg9 said:

It sounded like playing it could only help your single player game and not hurt it.

The Culture Vulture said:
"Galaxy Readiness" might be the worst thing I have ever heard.
readybjso.jpg

nel e nel

Derrick01 said:
The concept. There are too many ways how this can result in an awful story.

"Oh no you didn't stop the salarians and krogan from fighting despite facing extinction from a much greater foe. Galaxy bar is only 80%, your ending sucks now. Congrats asshole!"

I thought the concept behind an RPG was to craft a personal story based on unique decisions you made as a player, not to get the same ending as everyone else.

I think I prefer the snap decision ending like in ME1.

But whatever, my interest in ME3 has been low so far and this announcement hasn't moved it at all.

Derrick01

Banned
nel e nel said:
I thought the concept behind an RPG was to craft a personal story based on unique decisions you made as a player, not to get the same ending as everyone else.

Yes. Filling up a bar led from the major blue/red choices isn't the best way a western rpg has handled it. Neither is stopping races from fighting when a bigger enemy is coming.

nel e nel

Derrick01 said:
Also, I doubt we've had a real life situation like in ME2. Like when the Spanish were conquering all those tribes I doubt one of them said "Man I'd love to help out but I need to take care of my daddy issue first, it's clearly more important"

Actually, recent archaeological evidence suggests that the Spaniards were aided by numerous smaller tribes of indigenous peoples to help them conquer the Aztecs, and that they were able to rally that support because of the oppressive Aztec regime.

nel e nel

Derrick01 said:
Yes. Filling up a bar led from the major blue/red choices isn't the best way a western rpg has handled it. Neither is stopping races from fighting when a bigger enemy is coming.

It's a video game, brosef. You want a real life experience go over to the Middle East and help with the Arab Spring.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:

Well when the English and Spanish were conquering there were rival Native American tribes who refused to work together against a common threat and instead kept fighting amongst each other and in some cases helped the conquerors because they hated the rival tribe so much. It doesnt take a genious to look at things now and see they were most def. facing extinction.

Currently there are tribes in Afghanistan who share a hate for the Taliban but when the Taliban shows up to take control of a tribal region they dont join together. The Taliban usually takes control and when they regain strength they go try and take over the tribal region that stood by idly.

So for you to sit here and say all the ME races should band together with their most hated enemies just like that is just absurd given we face the same issues in human history.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The fact that Galactic Readiness is now going to be a bar is just basically making more visible what we all knew was coming. Anybody with half a brain knew that choices like
whether or not to save the Rachni or convert Legion's geth
were clearly going to affect your army in the final battle against the Reapers.

If I may make a prediction, I suspect that those Paragon choices are the only way you can maximize your Galactic Readiness without diving into multiplayer. If you made some bad decisions that will decrease the size of the final army, you're going to have to make up the difference by brute forcing it a bit by diving into multiplayer and killing some dudes.

Making up for bad political decisions by forcing success through sheer force of will sounds like a very Renegade thing to me.

DatBreh said:
Well when the English and Spanish were conquering there were rival Native American tribes who refused to work together against a common threat and instead kept fighting amongst each other and in some cases helped the conquerors because they hated the rival tribe so much. It doesnt take a genious to look at things now and see they were most def. facing extinction.

Currently there are tribes in Afghanistan who share a hate for the Taliban but when the Taliban shows up to take control of a tribal region they dont join together. The Taliban usually takes control and when they regain strength they go try and take over the tribal region that stood by idly.

So for you to sit here and say all the ME races should band together with their most hated enemies just like that is just absurd given we face the same issues in human history.

What they have to do is convince the Romulans that the Dominion plans to invade them eventually... oh wait, wrong universe.

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:

It's not the same when every race is facing extinction. And these races are way smarter and knowledgeable than ancient indian tribes. As soon as Earth's attacked word would spread like wildfire across every system and they would stop fighting temporarily.

And don't give me the blocking communications excuse because Shepard somehow escapes so he's enough to spread the word to all these places they're sending us.

Ploid 3.0

Good for them on adding multiplayer to a rpg. Sucks that it's coming out next year, and it seem like loot/buyable gear will still be minimal.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
It's not the same when every race is facing extinction. And these races are way smarter and knowledgeable than ancient indian tribes. As soon as Earth's attacked word would spread like wildfire across every system and they would stop fighting temporarily.

And don't give me the blocking communications excuse because Shepard somehow escapes so he's enough to spread the word to all these places they're sending us.

Fact of the matter is you dont know what would happen given a galactic attack but what i do know is that throughout human history specific groups of humans have faced a threat that wanted them eradicated and numerous times those groups chose not to come together for a common cause and kept along with their local squabbles to their ultimate detriment. You are literally fighting fact with fan fiction to the point where you want to compare actual human intelligence to video game characters. Lets see who do you think was smarter Leonardo di Vinci or Dr. Wiley? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Derrick01

Banned
Why would you think other aliens would think and act like humans hmmm? Other than Bioware being inept writers, there is no reason.

RDreamer

Sounds interesting. Kind of sucks for me since we moved and now my 360 is kind of too far away for an internet cord, and I'd rather not buy a wireless adapter at the way too high price Microsoft charges for it. That and I don't buy Live. I usually buy all my multiplayer games for PS3, so now my dilemma will be to either continue my Shephard or get multiplayer.... ugh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
lastplayed said:
What they have to do is convince the Romulans that the Dominion plans to invade them eventually... oh wait, wrong universe.

Shepard: "If Jath'Amon discovered that the data rod was a forgery, if he realized we were trying to trick them into the war, it could push the Batarians even further into the enemy camp. They could start to openly help the Reapers. If worse came to worst, they could actually join in the war against us. I had the distinct feeling that victory or defeat would be decided in the next few minutes."

Jath'Amon: "It's a FAAAAAAAKE."

CrazyDude

The_Technomancer said:
What? No, you can't even play as Shepard in the multiplayer. These just put extra points on your Galaxy Power rewards card that you can redeem for More Unity™ at the end.
You don't even need to play co-op to get a 100%.

This is not what I expected, and is one of the strangest, most tacked on concepts I have ever heard of.

I'm actually interested in trying it.

Honestly, this doesn't sound half bad. Sort of like Red Dead multiplayer. In space. With Krogans.

Maybe they're doing this to get more metrics to analyze and decide whether a Mass Effect MMO is a chance worth taking.

Complistic

Fine Ham Abounds said:
This is not what I expected, and is one of the strangest, most tacked on concepts I have ever heard of.

I'm actually interested in trying it.

Honestly, this doesn't sound half bad. Sort of like Red Dead multiplayer. In space. With Krogans.

Maybe they're doing this to get more metrics to analyze and decide whether a Mass Effect MMO is a chance worth taking.

I think it's more CO op works great in Gears, and since ME3 is a gears clone, it was a pretty natural progression.

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Why would you think other aliens would think and act like humans hmmm? Other than Bioware being inept writers, there is no reason.

What im saying is there are exact historical scenarios detailing the situation you are describing as unbelievable and inept writing. Your defense is the make believe aliens should be smarter than that? Actually making these races ignore their grievances against one another at the drop of a dime would be considered inept writing. If aliens attacked during WW2 do you think the Jews would put aside their differences with the Germans and fight with them side by side? If someone killed my family i would def. want revenge on them before i consider fighting anyone else.

At this point im quite convinced your disdain for Bioware inhibits you from any rational discussion of any of their future works.

Top Bottom