• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Co-Op And "Galaxy At War" Detailed [Up: Video Interview/Detailing]

rozay

Banned
CharmingCharlie said:
WOW they really shoe horned MP in there didn't they. I had sod all interest in mp before I read that rubbish and I have even less interest in it after reading it.

All I need now is confirmation on whether they are going to shove Origin down my throat. If so I will definitely be choosing to NOT play MP and I will pass on SP too.
Origin will definitely be involved to get a system like this all synced up. Hopefully if you only want to play single player you dont need to install the client.

I'm completely ok with this but then again I was never averse to the concept in general (as long as it made sense). I think tying it to the single player while making it optional is pretty cool too.

Lexxon

Any word on whether this will be playable locally (couch co-op) with 2 players? That'd be a huge sell for me. A friend and I play a ton of local co-op games together, this would be a nice bonus to my already guaranteed single player playthrough.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
I stopped reading once I saw that I can play as a krogan. My life is complete, regardless of the effect that this has on the story.

I will name him Wrex. We will be best friends forever.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lexxon said:
Any word on whether this will be playable locally (couch co-op) with 2 players? That'd be a huge sell for me. A friend and I play a ton of local co-op games together, this would be a nice bonus to my already guaranteed single player playthrough.

I would bet against it, they don't want your friends all mooching off of one copy. They're not running a charity!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FStop7 said:
You thought it was a joke? ME2 was telegraphing pretty hard that you were going to need to rally the races to fight the Reapers. The Quarian and Geth loyalty quests were pretty blatant about it.
I hope that the story is at least properly structured like ME1 was and not the wreck that was ME2, but central ideas like "rally the races" don't bode well...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
rozay said:
Origin will definitely be involved to get a system like this all synced up. Hopefully if you only want to play single player you dont need to install the client.
This is actually one of their main stated reasons for making Origin.

The example they gave was doing something in an iOS game that gave you experience in a retail console game.

They used Battlefield for the example though, but it seems it will apply here a lot more than there.

Orayn

Syphon Filter said:
co-op isn't multiplayer.
It's not competitive, but it's definitely multiplayer, as it involves multiple players connected to the game, actively participating in the same scenario in real time.

Derrick01

Banned
DatBreh said:
I find it funny that people are complaining about something when they have no idea as to how it works. If there is a "complete the game" bar you have to fill up, then you can go beat the game with the good ending, then ok fine, complain, but as of right now you dont know if thats how the system works. In ME2 you could have done everything right in the game but made bad choices in the last mission and still screwed it up. Maybe the system will be like that....you need a certain level to be able to make the right choices to succeed. Like having certain races being loyal to you and able to help out during the fight increases the level, that makes perfect sense. I dont know, but im withholding judgment until i find out.

It did have choices at the end but it really didn't.

What I mean was unless you're completely brain dead or just not paying attention then it's pretty hard to screw it up. Like when they ask who do you want to send in the vents, and they remind you that you need someone good with tech, do you send Jacob...the biotic guy?

So what I'm saying is I'm not holding my breath for complex and difficult choices at the end. It'll probably be sacrifice this species home world or that species home world.

Vamphuntr

Galaxy readiness hahahahaha

Doing multiplayer mission will help fill the bar that represents this stat won't it. Oh boy...

Sober

The_Technomancer said:
I hope that the story is at least properly structured like ME1 was and not the wreck that was ME2, but central ideas like "rally the races" don't bode well...
I expected it to be crammed with new races that we've never had before to maximize fanfic potential.

Derrick01

Banned
Nirolak said:
This is actually one of their main stated reasons for making Origin.

The example they gave was doing something in an iOS game that gave you experience in a retail console game.

They used Battlefield for the example though, but it seems it will apply here a lot more than there.

I hope they don't force Origin. Hopefully they'll make something like that exclusive to Origin as a preorder bonus or something and leave all the other PC versions out. I don't need any more motivation to rent this on consoles :(

Derrick01 said:
So what I'm saying is I'm not holding my breath for complex and difficult choices at the end. It'll probably be sacrifice this species home world or that species home world.
>>Skip through field of daisies in locked-arms with the Reapers and Illusive man.
>>Kill everything.

At least they can't contradict the ending choices by some random plot contrivance for the next game, though. Right? Right?

DatBreh

Banned
Derrick01 said:
It did have choices at the end but it really didn't.

What I mean was unless you're completely brain dead or just not paying attention then it's pretty hard to screw it up. Like when they ask who do you want to send in the vents, and they remind you that you need someone good with tech, do you send Jacob...the biotic guy?

Well they have gone back and improved the powers/upgrade portion and that was something people were vocal about so why assume they wont also improve on the choices aspect...esp. since this is the end of the trilogy.

Im going into the game open and since everything i have seen from the game so far seems to be an improvement i have no reason to just assume some aspect is going to be crap like so many here are doing.

nel e nel

FStop7 said:
Also, how many cases of Mountain Dew will you have to buy to increase your Galaxy Readiness Points?

You mean Dr. Pepper. Mountain Dew is in bed with Activision.

I dunno, I thought the facebook tie-in games for AssCreed:Bro and Dragon's Age II were pretty nifty, if a bit shallow. If they can create a more significant experience than Mass Effect: Galaxy, I'm all for this.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
So are we mad about the concept of Galactic Readiness in general, or are we mad that someone else, somewhere else, can play a co-op mission to contribute to their Galactic Readiness, in their own single-player game?

GuitarAtomik said:
Why? Please explain.
Wasted resources that could've been better invested in game mechanics that are more familiar with Mass Effect 1 and less with Mass Effect 2. You know, giving the so-called RPG back its RPG elements and take away everything that's supposed to appeal to the COD audience.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
smilebig1337 said:
I stopped reading once I saw that I can play as a krogan. My life is complete, regardless of the effect that this has on the story.

I will name him Wrex. We will be best friends forever.

Yeah, your Wrex and his 3 Krogan friends WrEx, Wrexx and Wrex2012.

Merguson

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
So are we mad about the concept of Galactic Readiness in general, or are we mad that someone else, somewhere else, can play a co-op mission to contribute to their Galactic Readiness, in their own single-player game?

We are already cancelling pre-orders.

Derrick01

Banned
Cocopjojo said:

The concept. There are too many ways how this can result in an awful story.

"Oh no you didn't stop the salarians and krogan from fighting despite facing extinction from a much greater foe. Galaxy bar is only 80%, your ending sucks now. Congrats asshole!"

DatBreh

Banned
vodka-bull said:
Wasted resources that could've been better invested in game mechanics that are more familiar with Mass Effect 1 and less with Mass Effect 2. You know, giving the so-called RPG back its RPG elements and take away everything that's supposed to appeal to the COD audience.

No matter how many teams and employees they had if one of them was focused on MP you would complain.

Have you even looked at the ME3 upgrade screen? It looks more like ME1 than ME2.

And what have they included thats appealing to the COD audience? You mean giving the elite commando the ability to handle a gun without having to pour arbitrary points into the skill? IMO that was one of the worst things about ME1, an elite soldier who couldnt handle a gun.

Derrick01 said:

"Oh no you didn't stop the salarians and krogan from fighting despite facing extinction from a much greater foe. Galaxy bar is only 80%, your ending sucks now. Congrats asshole!"

Or "you didnt stop the salarians and krogan from fighting and since you need those extra forces to battle the reavers your ending sucks".

Derrick01 said:

You should of done better then.

vodka-bull said:
Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?

No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.
Granted, it's a press release so believe what you want to believe, but all evidence beforehand showed they hired new people to work on this and it's a separate team and no personnel from the main game was stolen to make it. If you think they somehow siphoned money from the single player team to make mp happen and that that money could have somehow gone to game mechanics, I think you're pretty mistaken. They probably had a budget for single player and an additional budget/investment in the mult-iplayer.

Derrick01

Banned
littleworm said:
You should of done better then.

That's not the point. That would be a really dumb scenario were it to happen, and we already know it does in some form as they confirmed there would be a Quarian vs Geth choice.

Derrick01 said:

Whether you see the bar or not would that really affect the outcome? Hell, we don't even know if we can see the bar yet.

kai3345

Banned
I actually have no problem with this.

Its entirely optional, but if you want it can influence the SP story. If done well this could be really cool.

But is it really only accessible through an online pass? Thats pretty stupid

Vamphuntr

Dabanton said:
Co-op is pretty cool.

Versus MP would have been just silly

Why? Versus where you could control the reapers' units would be pretty cool. Why it's silly for ME but not for L4D where you can play as infected in versus.

Vire

"It is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone."

Just for people wondering and didn't bother to read the whole thing.

Seems like a neat little addition, I'm just glad it isn't versus multiplayer.

Derrick01 said:
That's not the point. That would be a really dumb scenario were it to happen, and we already know it does in some form as they confirmed there would be a Quarian vs Geth choice.
Ok, I see what your getting at, so I ask you this in all sincerity. What would you call a good scenario?

Derrick01

Banned
GuitarAtomik said:
Whether you see the bar or not would that really affect the outcome? Hell, we don't even know if we can see the bar yet.

Nah seeing the bar or not really makes no difference. Like it's been said already ME2 had a very similar (and dumb) system, but with party members instead of races.

Though I don't know why you need to do errands for people/races to get them "ready" when a massive fleet of giant robot ships are coming to destroy you and everything you ever knew. They really need to straighten out their priorities.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sounds MUCH better than I expected. Looking forward to playing it. Unfortuntely I have no friends who would purchase Mass Effect, so I'll be playing with randoms.

Merguson

Banned
littleworm said:
Ok, I see what your getting at, so I ask you this in all sincerity. What would you call a good scenario?

How about a scenario where you are in a room, and you have a choice of four buttons to choose an ending?

Sounds amazing.

Top Bottom