• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever tried making chocolate?

Any tips? I'm currently experimenting with trying to make chocolate with different types of oil and I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Right now I'm trying to use coconut oil, and although it's sort of okay, touching it with your bare skin will make it immediately melt on contact.

Just wondering if anyone has any tactics to share. Thanks.

What are you using? And are you watching it's temper?

My recipe is equal parts coconut oil, confectioners' sugar, and cocoa powder. I have tried adding milk powder for a milkier chocolate, but I have not been satisfied with the results - the milk powder doesn't dissolve very well, and the chocolate gets grainy.

The reason I'm not using cocoa butter is because of cost, mainly. I want to infuse the oil I'm using with different flavors and properties, so I'm less interested in having 'real' chocolate.

Also, coconut oil chocolate doesn't have to be tempered (and I don't even know that tempering it would work anyway) - it will stay solid at room temperature.

Until someone touches it with their skin, anyway :p

It's a work in progress.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
How about you tell me your process? I thought that what I'm doing was pretty standard (except using cocoa butter rather than coconut oil).

Unsweetened chocolate already contains the fat needed, but not the sugar content. You need to temper it for it to be stable at room tempt.
https://www.chemistryworld.com/feature/well-tempered-chocolate/9200.article

Check out iron GAF, the official cooking community GAF thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1039645&page=100000

If you can't temper it, then the only suggestions I can think of is coating your chocolate, either with sugar candy (like M&M's or smarties) or other tempered chocolate.

Oh, also maybe using it for ice-cream.

Top Bottom