• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Right now on the French Uplay there are two promo codes that stack to give you 45% off. It works for Star Trek Bridge Crew putting it at about $35. Likely it's a mistake so not sure how long it will last. If you're outside of France, you can use a VPN to make it work.

Instructions here.

dgco86

Right now on the French Uplay there are two promo codes that stack to give you 45% off. It works for Star Trek Bridge Crew putting it at about $35. Likely it's a mistake so not sure how long it will last. If you're outside of France, you can use a VPN to make it work.

Instructions here.

Thank you so much for this. Managed to pick up Eagle Flight and Star Trek Bridge Crew for EUR61.09. I really wish the Steam version of Eagle Flight was compatible with the Rift though.

SaiyanRaoh

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out. VR hasn't been on my radar until now because well, I won a bet and I'll be getting one of the headsets of my choosing in the next day or so. I'm ruling Vive out but it's too expensive and I don't have room for room scale VR. So that leaves the Occulus and the PS VR.
I have a i7 7700k, 16gb ddr4 and a 1070 gtx so my PC should eat up the Occulus, right??
My question is basically the age old....Which one to get, these days? Bang for the buck fun, and it's not exclusive to just gaming.
Can Vive titles be played on the Rift? I know the reverse is possible.....
Im interested in more than just VR games. I saw a cool virtual arcade emulation setup that great. That a Vive thing or is it also on Rift?
Who has the better movie program options? I'd love to watch movies on the thing.
Also interested in any sort of "Hack-y" things you can do with it.
I'll get one based on some research I'm doing and especially what I read on here.
Thanks guys!

Tain

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out. VR hasn't been on my radar until now because well, I won a bet and I'll be getting one of the headsets of my choosing in the next day or so. I'm ruling Vive out but it's too expensive and I don't have room for room scale VR. So that leaves the Occulus and the PS VR.
I have a i7 7700k, 16gb ddr4 and a 1070 gtx so my PC should eat up the Occulus, right??
My question is basically the age old....Which one to get, these days? Bang for the buck fun, and it's not exclusive to just gaming.
Im interested in more than just VR games. I saw a cool virtual arcade emulation setup that great. That a Vive thing or is it also on Rift?
Who has the better movie program options? I'd love to watch movies on the thing.
I'll get one based on some research I'm doing and especially what I read on here.
Thanks guys!

PSVR has some dope exclusives at the moment but I'd still suggest one of the PC headsets over it.
Your PC specs should be fine.
Vive doesn't require roomscale.
Vive games can be played on the Rift depending on your Rift sensor configuration, but Rift is less convenient to set up for large spaces. If you want to play a lot of Vive-targeted games on your Rift, you will probably want a third sensor and some USB extension cables.
The virtual arcade thing is probably this, works fine on both PC headsets: http://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/
I haven't done the movie thing in a while but PC headsets have Virtual Desktop, which is probably your best bet for watching anything you want.

vermadas

Thanks guys!

- Your PC will definitely handle VR content quite easily.
- All Vive titles use the OpenVR SDK, and thus they will all be playable on the Rift. Due to some differences between Touch and the Vive wands, you usually will get better experiences from the games/apps that have "official" Touch support.
- The virtual arcade you're thinking of is probably New Retro Arcade: Neon. I created an OT for the game but it failed to get traction so I stopped updating it. It officially supports both Vive and Rift. If you end up picking it out, check out the guides on their Steam Community pages. People have created some super useful tools for customizing the arcade.
- Re: Movies, I don't know what PSVR has going for it here, but I find it hard to believe it could match up with PC options, since you basically have the option to watch anything you could watch on your PC. Check out Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop. Steam links, but both of those are available on Oculus Home as well.

Honestly, since you already have a kickass PC it's hard to recommend PSVR. PSVR has some great titles that are not (yet) available on the PC with VR support, like Rez and RE7. But Oculus has been funding lots of content on their own, and I see them keeping pace with Sony. The Touch controllers are far better than Move, and the games that utilize them the best are mind blowing to play.

SaiyanRaoh

Thanks for the detailed and helpful replies! My main concern was getting the Vive stuff to work on Rift. The touch controller is a no brainer and I'm willing to put in the work to make the Vive games work.
Sure, PS4 has exclusives but the amount of stuff that can be done on the PC VR solutions is starting to tip my decision towards the Rift.

I think wireless coming to Vive this year is reason enough to get it over the Rift. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but wireless is a game changer.

Synth

Thanks guys!

I have a Rift and a PSVR currently. I'd definitely recommend going for a PC headset. Doubly so if you're looking to use it for more than just games.

New Retro Arcade Neon is awesome. If I had to point out any negative though, it would be that you'll tend to want to use the Touch controllers to move around and interact with thing in the arcade.. but then you'll want a joypad when it comes time to play anything. I ended up buying a Bluetooth SNES replica, so I could pocket it, and then use it when required, as actually finding something like a 360 pad in VR is very difficult if you're not already holding it.

Movie programs are the same across Vive and Rift. I mostly use BigScreen to watch stuff, which is free and I've found to be notably superior to Virtual Desktop. You can even join rooms with up to 3 other people and watch what they're watching/playing on their screens. It's pretty great overall. The PSVR is unfortunately pretty useless at this kinda thing. It only has the ability to view content on a screen that floats in a void, and the clarity of it isn't at the point where I consider it worth using. I've actually actually opted instead to use a capture card to pump PS4 and XB1 stuff into my PC so I can view them in BigScreen instead.

The PSVR does have some exclusives, but I'd say that the games lineup currently favours the PC side quite heavily. Stuff like Batman VR is now available on PC, and Battlezone VR will be shortly. PSVR has bigger "names" attached to it, like Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Star Wars Battlefront, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, Ace Combat etc... but outside of Resident Evil 7, the others are all smaller experiences that are additional to the main game, rather than being fully fledged VR game themselves. You can burn through the majority of the in just a day or two, and beyond that there's not really that much software for the PSVR to separate itself.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thanks guys!

HTC Vive isn't a room-scale only VR. You can enjoy standing or seated VR on it too.

cakefoo

F8 2017: Facebook And OTOY’s Volumetric Camera System Will Deliver Six Degrees Of Freedom In 2017

Facebook is working with partners like OTOY, Adobe, Framestore, Foundry and others to build out a new kind of camera system, tools and workflows capable of volumetric capture.

The system uses a variety of techniques to extract depth data from the images they capture and produce a small bubble of space in which a visitor to VR can move their head around and see the scene from different angles.

“The lens arrangement has precise overlaps (which is how depth is optically generated from raw color data), and this overlap of views (~8 on the x24 footage we’ve used) is enough to fill in many occluded holes and minimize depth shadows in the view bubble around a user’s head,” Urbach wrote. “For far field depth shadows, we use heuristsics in our player to fill in any gaps not in the camera capture data. A simple workflow approach, which will be discussed [in a] F8 presentation, is to shoot a background plate of the environment before you shoot dynamic elements. Our software will allow you to easily layer these back in through Octane. To that end, OTOY is developing a template for moving the x24 in a path or circle for ~4-6 seconds that will give you a light field set capture.”

Exciting news for professional content creation and consequently for VR consumers who want live action content better than plain 360 video.

vermadas

F8 2017: Facebook And OTOY's Volumetric Camera System Will Deliver Six Degrees Of Freedom In 2017

Exciting news for professional content creation and consequently for VR consumers who want live action content better than plain 360 video.

This is incredible. I can't believe what they're able to pull off just from cameras without LIDAR.

Edit: FB also announced a 360 capture SDK

I'm impressed that they're able to capture 360 in real-time while maintaining good perf AND capture everything outside the user's FoV. I would have thought that culling would make that impossible.

Tainted

I had my first experience today with a Vive and Rift and holy smokes.....I am super impressed. A small business opened up in my town recently with VR headsets all setup with a decent library of games to pay by the hour.

It's one thing hearing how good these things are but the hype is real.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well its not secret they are prototyping Gen 2 now. Lots of signs out from HTC/Valve and also Oculus.

Oculus - Santa Cruz headset
HTC - lighter Vive, slimmer 3-in-1 cable, new lighthouse base station,Vive Tracker, TPCast wireless, new audio strap
Valve - gen 2 lighthouse base station, new 2 steamvr controller

If Oculus is still using outside-in tracking for their next headset, they've really fucked up. The past year has proven to me absolutely that the lighthouse tracking is superior.

vermadas

If Oculus is still using outside-in tracking for their next headset, they've really fucked up. The past year has proven to me absolutely that the lighthouse tracking is superior.

They have working markerless inside-out tracking for the headset, as they've demonstrated with Santa Cruz. They also have some pretty advanced SLAM technology which they showed off with only smartphone hardware at F8 last week. The sensors could be repurposed as cameras to enable IK and full body tracking. Neither tech is probably ready for primetime, but they have another year or two for it to cook. Constellation now is definitely inferior to Lighthouse, but it's quite likely Oculus leapfrogs Lighthouse with superior tech in gen 2.

Zalusithix

Just got an e-mail about these: https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

Seems like an interesting alternative to prescription lens inserts.

Having worn sports glasses with elastic bands like that before, I can't imagine them being comfortable, and they suffer the same problems as traditional glasses like smudges. Better to just get a pair of more traditional frames that fits well within the headset IMO. (Granted that might be harder for Rift owners.)

Just got an e-mail about these: https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

I don't know why you would want these. Presumably you'll still want a separate pair of glasses for day to day use, and since you already need two pairs... no matter how comfortable they can make these glasses in VR, I doubt they'll be more comfortable than NO glasses, so why not stick with the inserts?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

In case you guys didn't know there is a better alternative. There's a guys that sells a custom one piece frame made specifically for the Rift and Vive that allows you to fit your VR-Lens Lab lenses into them and then into the headset. I have one and it's very comfortable and doesn't suffer the same issue that the VR-LensLab has where they tend to fall out every few minutes.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3533260.page

20170319_193416.jpg

20170319_193320.jpg

Zalusithix

In case you guys didn't know there is a better alternative. There's a guys that sells a custom one piece frame made specifically for the Rift and Vive that allows you to fit your VR-Lens Lab lenses into them and then into the headset. I have one and it's very comfortable and doesn't suffer the same issue that the VR-LensLab has where they tend to fall out every few minutes.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3533260.page

20170319_193416.jpg

20170319_193320.jpg

On the flip side, no IPD adjustment with that solution. They might be able to be custom made to various IPDs on request, but I'm not about to go through the iracing registration to see if that's mentioned in the thread. =P

Zalusithix

Microsoft showed off their motion controller solution. Upload VR article

MS: Should we do analog stick or trackpad? Fuck it, why not both!

They use sensors/cameras on the headset itself to determine position. So they have to be in LoS of the headset to work properly

It basically solidifies the new Microsoft partnered VR sets as creation tools and little more. You typically work with your hands in front of you, so no big loss there. Just hoping they don't get overzealous and try to market them for gaming as you'd lose tracking for many gestures.

Durante

They use sensors/cameras on the headset itself to determine position. So they have to be in LoS of the headset to work properly
That sucks. Shooting at enemies coming from the right while looking out to the left and other things like that are a really nice and natural features in VR. I actually just discussed this with a friend while playing Serious Sam TSE VR.

That sucks. Shooting at enemies coming from the right while looking out to the left and other things like that are a really nice and natural features in VR. I actually just discussed this with a friend while playing Serious Sam TSE VR.

So blind fire? Like you aren't looking at the enemies you are looking the other direction?

Tain

Yup. It's surprising how often you'll do things in VR that involve motion outside of your field of view.

A TON of my time in Robo Recall is spent grabbing robots or guns or whatever that are "off-camera". Even the act of simply throwing a ball could be really jacked up without having super-accurate tracking at all times.

If your goal is to create a self-contained headset, is there really any alternative?

vermadas

They could mitigate tracking losses by having a number of cameras/sensors around the headset facing different directions. But there will still be unavoidable blind spots. I can't imagine it would be as restrictive as say, Leap for example.

If your goal is to create a self-contained headset, is there really any alternative?

At the moment whilst being cost effective there isn't. Future-wise the controllers and the headset would have their own self contained tracking systems, even better is when we get glove like controllers with haptics.

Maybe you could put cameras on the controllers themselves and let them independently track inside out. Would probably add a lot to cost though.

Zalusithix

I'm still curious as to how feasible a Sixense type magnetic field system would be with the base built into the headset. Weight, power, and interference would probably be the primary challenges, but it'd theoretically gain you tracking of any object around the user relative to the headset regardless of occlusion.

Reading more about this Microsoft Headset, I'm kind of amazed at the resolution they were able to get, especially at a $400 price point.

Shame that the controller tracking is subpar. I'm not happy with the FOV decrease either. :/

Durante

Yup. It's surprising how often you'll do things in VR that involve motion outside of your field of view.

A TON of my time in Robo Recall is spent grabbing robots or guns or whatever that are "off-camera". Even the act of simply throwing a ball could be really jacked up without having super-accurate tracking at all times.
Yeah, and I think the fact that movements, regardless of where you perform them, "just work" is a big factor both for immersion and just for how enjoyable action-based VR games are.

Reading more about this Microsoft Headset, I'm kind of amazed at the resolution they were able to get, especially at a $400 price point.

Shame that the controller tracking is subpar. I'm not happy with the FOV decrease either. :/
If the screens are out there I'd hope that we can get them in a lighthouse-tracked HMD before long.

cakefoo

For the people who get the Acer, they're not going to mind- they won't know what they're missing, just like PSVR owners don't know what they're missing when they say RE7 is the pinnacle of VR gaming.

Yeah, and I think the fact that movements, regardless of where you perform them, "just work" is a big factor both for immersion and just for how enjoyable action-based VR games are.

I can't really think of any game with motion controllers that wouldn't be significantly worse if they required you to always have the controllers in front of your viewing direction.

Cool stuff minute:

• Cosmic Trip releases out of Early Access on the 24th with the full strategy mode. Game was already cool as just an endless wave game so this should be really good.

IncomparablePlainKagu.gif

• Cool gameplay trailer for a new game called Tales of Glory.It's a medieval battle game inspired by Mount and Blade. Physical based combat. 200 soldiers on the field at a time. Mounted and unmounted combat. Goes in to early access soon. You can find out some more details on the Reddit post.

BiodegradableSpectacularDeviltasmanian.gif

• 6 minutes of gameplay from Seeking Dawn which was on the stage during Unity's VR/AR keynote a week or two ago. Really good graphics for a Unity game. 10 hour campaign. Apparently has co-op as well.

Cool stuff minute:

• Cosmic Trip releases out of Early Access on the 24th with the full strategy mode. Game was already cool as just an endless wave game so this should be really good.

IncomparablePlainKagu.gif

• Cool gameplay trailer for a new game called Tales of Glory.It's a medieval battle game inspired by Mount and Blade. Physical based combat. 200 soldiers on the field at a time. Mounted and unmounted combat. Goes in to early access soon. You can find out some more details on the Reddit post.

BiodegradableSpectacularDeviltasmanian.gif

• 6 minutes of gameplay from Seeking Dawn which was on the stage during Unity's VR/AR keynote a week or two ago. Really good graphics for a Unity game. 10 hour campaign. Apparently has co-op as well.

These are awesome! I love the aesthetic the first one has.

vermadas

UploadVR sued over sexual behavior in the workplace and wrongful termination.

“In the office, Defendants would frequently talk about how much sex they were going to have at each party, and how many girls they were going to have sex with. UploadVR even set up a room to encourage sexual intercourse at the workplace. The room was referred to as the “kink room” and contained a bed. Male employees used that room to have sexual intercourse, which was disruptive and inappropriate. Often, underwear and condom wrappers would be found in the room.”

“Male employees, including Mason and Freeman, would even speak sexually about women that worked in the office, right in front of them. For example, male employees stated how they were sexually aroused by female employees and how it was hard to concentrate and be productive when all they could think about was having sex with them.”

Their response:

“We cannot comment directly on any pending litigation. What we want to express is that our employees are our greatest asset and the sole reason for the success of this company. We are committed to creating a positive community in VR/AR as well as within our company culture and will work to further develop that mission in the future. We are confident that the true nature of how we treat our employees and how we operate as leaders will shine through this unfortunate situation and confirm that these allegations are entirely without merit.”

What. The. Fuck. Not sourcing them anymore.

Top Bottom