• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

7 minutes of Lone Echo's 4v4 multiplayer mode. Totally Ender's Game. Looks really fun.

WatchfulOpulentKob.gif

MintyEarnestIchthyosaurs.gif

SerpentineMixedGarpike.gif

Alucardx23

Ticket #352947

Let me first say that English is not my mother's tongue, just in case something doesn’t sound right. So I wanted to share my terrible experience with Oculus support. Anyone that plans to use or used a courier/freight forwarded address to buy their Oculus will go through the same thing.

First a little bit of background. I’m basically a VR nut even before the resurgence happened. I bought the Oculus DK1 on the first few months it was available. I liked the Oculus CV1 so much that I ended up buying 3 of them. After a few months of me and my family using them, we noticed that the two headphones died on one of them, and one of the headphones stopped working on the other. The first two Oculust that I bought were on the Oculus store (where I used a freight forwarder/Courier address) and the last one was on Amazon. I decide to contact support since all of them are in warranty. I explain to them my situation, we did some troubleshooting steps and they were found to be faulty. On the next step I provide my freight forwarded address (The same one I used to buy the Oculus from their store) and they reply saying that freight forwarded addresses are not allowed. I obvious inform the support agent that I’m providing the same address I used to buy the CV1 units from their store and they reply with the following:

“you were able to use the address because the orders were lucky enough not to be flagged in the system. Now that we have verified it's a freight forwarding service we can't knowingly send to that address. Since you chose to use a freight forwarder in the US, the Rift is considered a US purchase.”

So there you go, I was “lucky” to buy two VC1 units from their store. I was extremely disheartened after listening how a company that I supported since the beginning was basically crapping all over me and telling that I was lucky to buy their product. I am providing an address that was confirmed to be valid twice by them, but still I don’t see even the slightest attempt to help. I requested for my case to be escalated to a supervisor and I got this reply.

“Please keep in mind this is not a choice. Because of the nature of your purchase we need to follow a specific process to be able to replace your Rift.”

I also bought an HTC Vive and one of the controllers stopped working. The experience was completely different. I provided my freight forwarded address and they sent the replacement. It all simply worked. So my advice to anyone that plans on using a freight forwarder address to buy either the Oculus or the HTC Vive, go with the one that you don’t have to be LUCKY to get one. No wonder that the Vive is kicking Oculus ass on sales.

Ticket #352947

Let me first say that English is not my mother's tongue, just in case something doesn't sound right. So I wanted to share my terrible experience with Oculus support. Anyone that plans to use or used a courier/freight forwarded address to buy their Oculus will go through the same thing.

First a little bit of background. I'm basically a VR nut even before the resurgence happened. I bought the Oculus DK1 on the first few months it was available. I liked the Oculus CV1 so much that I ended up buying 3 of them. After a few months of me and my family using them, we noticed that the two headphones died on one of them, and one of the headphones stopped working on the other. The first two Oculust that I bought were on the Oculus store (where I used a freight forwarder/Courier address) and the last one was on Amazon. I decide to contact support since all of them are in warranty. I explain to them my situation, we did some troubleshooting steps and they were found to be faulty. On the next step I provide my freight forwarded address (The same one I used to buy the Oculus from their store) and they reply saying that freight forwarded addresses are not allowed. I obvious inform the support agent that I'm providing the same address I used to buy the CV1 units from their store and they reply with the following:

”you were able to use the address because the orders were lucky enough not to be flagged in the system. Now that we have verified it's a freight forwarding service we can't knowingly send to that address. Since you chose to use a freight forwarder in the US, the Rift is considered a US purchase."

So there you go, I was ”lucky" to buy two VC1 units from their store. I was extremely disheartened after listening how a company that I supported since the beginning was basically crapping all over me and telling that I was lucky to buy their product. I am providing an address that was confirmed to be valid twice by them, but still I don't see even the slightest attempt to help. I requested for my case to be escalated to a supervisor and I got this reply.

”Please keep in mind this is not a choice. Because of the nature of your purchase we need to follow a specific process to be able to replace your Rift."

I also bought an HTC Vive and one of the controllers stopped working. The experience was completely different. I provided my freight forwarded address and they sent the replacement. It all simply worked. So my advice to anyone that plans on using a freight forwarder address to buy either the Oculus or the HTC Vive, go with the one that you don't have to be LUCKY to get one. No wonder that the Vive is kicking Oculus ass on sales.

Isn't this completely normal with freight forwarders though? I use one from Japan occasionally and I've always done so under the assumption that I'm basically SOL if anything goes wrong. I'm glad to hear you had a better experience with HTC, but I'm not sure if it's fair to blame Oculus for acting differently.

With regard to the bolded in particular—what happens if you just send it to their US repair center directly? I actually got an imported smartphone repaired by the manufacturer once; I had to ship it to Poland which was both expensive and a total pain, but my phone was fixed.

Alucardx23

Isn't this completely normal with freight forwarders though? I use one from Japan occasionally and I've always done so under the assumption that I'm basically SOL if anything goes wrong. I'm glad to hear you had a better experience with HTC, but I'm not sure if it's fair to blame Oculus for acting differently.

With regard to the bolded in particular—what happens if you just send it to their US repair center directly? I actually got an imported smartphone repaired by the manu; I had to ship it to Poland which was both expensive and a total pain, but my phone was fixed.

This is actually the first time that it happens to me. I have replaced everything from GPUs to videogame consoles without any issues. I understand when a product doesn't offer warranty for my region, but when I'm using a valid US address I see no reason why they should deny the replacement. The problem is not shipping the faulty units to them, the thing is that they will not accept my freight forwarder address to ship the replacement. This type of attitude against their customers, shows the type of mindset that Oculus has as a company and I hope they fix it soon if they don't want to loose more market share.

I'm ready to pull the trigger now. I've used a DK2 for a long time and the intense screen door has always made the experience subpar.

So for those that have used both, which headset has the most minimal screen door?

Edit: is my 970 enough?

vermadas

I'm ready to pull the trigger now. I've used a DK2 for a long time and the intense screen door has always made the experience subpar.

So for those that have used both, which headset has the most minimal screen door?

The headsets have different metrics and quirks that favor one or the other. For screen door, Rift is better.

970 is around the minimum target for most games. Should be fine.

SimplexPL

With asynchronous spacewarp the minimum spec is even lower:
Minimum Specs

The NVIDIA GTX 960 (4GB), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB), NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti (laptop), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M and AMD Radeon RX 470 currently meet the minimum specs.

Hey guys I seen a trailer while watching rlcs today of a (horror?) game on the rift. All I remember is the character pulling something out of his neck. Anyone know what it is?

SimplexPL

On the Rift, yep.
On the Vive also yep. 970 is minimum spec for the vive too:
http://www.pcgamer.com/vive-and-oculus-vr-devs-confirm-a-gtx-970-will-run-most-games/

At some point changed official recommended requirements to 1060, but 1060 and 970 are similar in performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1743?vs=1771 - you can easily add 15-20% to 970s score because 970 overclocks like crazy, almost to the level of stock 980.

SteamVR benchmark qualifies 970 as "VR ready":
VfBZcvW.png

On the Vive also yep. 970 is minimum spec for the vive too:
http://www.pcgamer.com/vive-and-oculus-vr-devs-confirm-a-gtx-970-will-run-most-games/

At some point changed official recommended requirements to 1060, but 1060 and 970 are similar in performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1743?vs=1771 - you can easily add 15-20% to 970s score because 970 overclocks like crazy, almost to the level of stock 980.

SteamVR benchmark qualifies 970 as "VR ready":
VfBZcvW.png

Having previously used a 970 with a Vive, I would personally not recommend it long-term. If it's a stock gap for a few months until you can get a new card, fine, but I think most users would want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Valve may consider it acceptable, and to their credit, The Lab works beautifully on a 970. But too many other games stutter, or end up with poor IQ and lighting that decrease overall immersion.

Edit: Although it's worth noting that my 970 always overclocked poorly, so it's possible that someone with a much better overclock would have a different experience.

Went to a VR Arcade in my city for the first time today and tried Project Cars on HTC Vive+G29 steering wheel. Im sold this is the future.

Izuna

Banned
I made a thread on this that has no replies

Glasses wearers, should I get small frames or the VR-lens.eu things?

I'm getting my Rift in a couple days

AnnTiPa

Glasses wearers, should I get small frames or the VR-lens.eu things?

I'm getting my Rift in a couple days

I'd go for the small frames. I haven't tried VR-lens lenses but apparently unless you need very minor correction they distort the image pretty badly, which is really what scared me off. I personally have no problem wearing my glasses with Rift but it really does depend on the glasses.

EDIT: Wowfunhappy below is correct. Similar names and apparently most the reviews I checked were about Lens Lab lenses. Might have to reconsider myself too...

I'd go for the small frames. I haven't tried VR-lens lenses but apparently unless you need very minor correction they distort the image pretty badly, which is really what scared me off. I personally have no problem wearing my glasses with Rift but it really does depend on the glasses.

VR Lens Lab lenses have distortion. vr-lens.eu ones do not.

I thought the VR Lens Labs ones have minimal distortion if you opt for their RABS lens option?

So, I bought the original non-RABS lenses and then actually bought the RABS lenses again when they came out. They're a lot better than the originals, but there is still a fair bit of distortion, at least with my relatively strong prescription.

If VR-lens.eu didn't exist I'd recommend considering the RABS lenses, but all the impressions of vr-lens.eu is that there's no distortion whatsoever, so why put up with any?

(fwiw, the RABS lenses are good enough that I personally decided to stick with them, instead of buying yet another pair from vr-lens.eu. If I was starting over though, I would definately go with vr-lens.eu.)

What I REALLY wish is that Valve/Oculus would just build in an option to correct the distortion in software...

Izuna

Banned
The distortion is caused (afaik) by the fact that he lenses aren't concave to your perspective that glasses are.

VR Lens.eu are just like regular glasses that fit on top.

vermadas

Hard to know for sure but Luckey is not exactly the most reliable person to listen too.

He's a douche canoe, but he's a douche canoe who up until recently had a position at Oculus that would have given him access to shipped/sales numbers.

It would be nice if Oculus was more transparent about it.

X-Posting:

Cool stuff roundup:
-----------------------------

Espire 1

Devlog #2 showing off their locomotion implementation. I like how far they're integrating it naturally with the concept of the game (though I'll be turning all that off).

Dead Effect 2

In early access now. This was a GearVR then PC game now getting the full VR treatment. Impressions for both prior versions are pretty positive. The prior versions had 20+ hour single player/co-op campaign, so I guess you can expect that out of this one. Co-op isn't in yet but it's coming in about a month.

Airtone

On Steam now. Japanese VR rhythm game. Original soundtrack. Gameplay looks unique to what we've had so far in the VR rhythm game genre. It's a bit pricey, but it has 25 original songs with 3 difficulties each and it's really polished. Game is legit if you're in to Japanese rhythm games.

Darknet

On Steam now. This was a GearVR, then Oculus store exclusive and got pretty good reviews (it was one of the only games Jeff Gerstmann was in to at Oculus's launch). Basically a cyberpunk hacking/puzzle game.

Izuna

Banned
A9gHcEY.jpg

sp517Lg.jpg

So this is my temporary setup (I move in 3 weeks to a slightly larger room, so cable management isn't there). Space is good. Sensors are good...

But my fucking glasses piss me off (don't fit, painful) and VR-lens.EU won't respond to me.

I am thinking of going to Specsavers with my Rift tomorrow to see if I can find something that fits. It's probably a better idea in the long run then to patiently wait for a start-up to respond...

But my fucking glasses piss me off (don't fit, painful) and VR-lens.EU won't respond to me.

Why exactly did you need to email them directly? How long has it been?

In the interim, try just playing without your glasses. The Rift's screen isn't exactly high resolution, and -4 isn't all that bad in comparison.

Izuna

Banned
Why exactly did you need to email them directly? How long has it been?

In the interim, try just playing without your glasses. The Rift's screen isn't exactly high resolution, and -4 isn't all that bad in comparison.

-4 makes it impossible to see anything.

For now, I got my glasses to snap off from the sides so it can kinda work (hurts however). But I did about an hour in VR before it becomes unbearable. It's been a blast.

I messaged them two days ago. I'll wait until I can buy the lens from either one that gets back to me (but I will be taking the Rift to a store tomorrow to try out other frames).

Izuna

Banned
Update: Took my rift to Specsavers and holy shit, thinner frames are so much easier to use with VR.

Sadly, I can't get them for £25 because my eyesight is at the threshold for needing thinner lenses.

I want to know if going .25 away from my prescription is fine so I can get VR specific ones.

Zalusithix

Update: Took my rift to Specsavers and holy shit, thinner frames are so much easier to use with VR.

Sadly, I can't get them for £25 because my eyesight is at the threshold for needing thinner lenses.

I want to know if going .25 away from my prescription is fine so I can get VR specific ones.

.25 diopters away from your prescription will hardly be noticeable in VR at all. If anything it might actually help it by potentially reducing perceived SDE.

Izuna

Banned
.25 diopters away from your prescription will hardly be noticeable in VR at all. If anything it might actually help it by potentially reducing perceived SDE.

Oooh, I'm gunna take your word for it.

Now... to get Specsavers to give me a prescription that isn't my own...

Izuna

Banned
Update 3!!

So my quest is complete (for now). Popped in to ask for something -3.75 because I didn't want to pay extra for lens thinners, and the dude said... "bruh, you can have them in -4.00..."

To which I was like "your colleague lied to me!"

So there we have it. £25 lenses

Top Bottom