• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zalusithix

I can only hope that Airtone eventually makes its way to our PSVR brethren. I've dumped close to 9 hours into it over the past couple days, and not only is a damn good game, but it should make a relatively easy port seeing as how everything outside of the hub room is entirely front facing. Given that it's a complete game made by an actual dev team, and a Japanese one at that, I think the chances are pretty good on the porting front.

They do need to make the criteria for the phase upgrades and song unlocks less opaque though. I know how the phases work now, but that's just from trial and error, and songs are still a black box for me even after unlocking them all. Progression shouldn't be a mystery.

I can only hope that Airtone eventually makes its way to our PSVR brethren. I've dumped close to 9 hours into it over the past couple days, and not only is a damn good game, but it should make a relatively easy port seeing as how everything outside of the hub room is entirely front facing. Given that it's a complete game made by an actual dev team, and a Japanese one at that, I think the chances are pretty good on the porting front.

They do need to make the criteria for the phase upgrades and song unlocks less opaque though. I know how the phases work now, but that's just from trial and error, and songs are still a black box for me even after unlocking them all. Progression shouldn't be a mystery.

Agreed. I thought there were only 5 songs until I went online and found out otherwise. Great game though. Would definitely work on PSVR with motion controls.

Tain

Airtone reminds me of Steel Combat: a small team of apparently experienced Japanese devs making an unlikely PC-only VR game, only Steel Combat eventually did make it to PSVR. Wouldn't surprise me with Airtone, but I have to wonder about the reliability of PSVR Move controllers. This game doesn't require the most precise positioning, so maybe it'd be fine.

Zalusithix

Airtone reminds me of Steel Combat: a small team of apparently experienced Japanese devs making an unlikely PC-only VR game, only Steel Combat eventually did make it to PSVR. Wouldn't surprise me with Airtone, but I have to wonder about the reliability of PSVR Move controllers. This game doesn't require the most precise positioning, so maybe it'd be fine.

The only thing in the game that I can see possibly being a problem with the Move controllers are the longer tracing segments. On those parts the controllers can converge and possibly occlude each other for extended periods of time while still moving as a set. It wouldn't happen if you kept your hands side by side, but if you put one in front of the other like I find myself doing at those parts, then it might be problematic. Everything else should be fine. The game cares more about timing of motions and button presses than it does about pinpoint location accuracy. That's a good thing considering the higher difficulties would be damn near impossible if it enforced that level of precise movement lol. I still find Hard to be brutal even with those allowances.

Fallout 4 VR is what I want! Being able to fully explore the world is amazing! I hope that will be a launch feature for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Ay bruhs, what's the good word on the 2 updated Vive straps? Either worth picking up from a comfort perspective?

Still using the OG strap and OG cable.

Zalusithix

Ay bruhs, what's the good word on the 2 updated Vive straps? Either worth picking up from a comfort perspective?

Still using the OG strap and OG cable.

There's a number of impressions in the Vive thread for the deluxe audio strap. I don't think anybody has the other one, assuming they've even shipped out as I haven't paid any attention to it.

SimplexPL

Deluxe Audio strap is a huge improvement IMO. I wouldn't worry about the cable.

Old cable is fine, it actually has some advantages over the new one - my friend has the new one and complains that it kinks a lot.

Deluxe Audio Strap is fantastic (if a bit pricey) but beware of the quality control issue - apparently the outer layer flakes off when wet (i.e. sweaty) leaving black residue on contact. I'd hold off for now until this is resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2U6tdeDs34

Zalusithix

Old cable is fine, it actually has some advantages over the new one - my friend has the new one and complains that it kinks a lot.

Deluxe Audio Strap is fantastic (if a bit pricey) but beware of the quality control issue - apparently the outer layer flakes off when wet (i.e. sweaty) leaving black residue on contact. I'd hold off for now until this is resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2U6tdeDs34

Honestly the coating rubbing off, while less than ideal, isn't a big deal if you know about it and wash the strap before the first use. If you were bald the texture change might be a deal breaker, but personally having a full head of hair, I haven't once thought about it while wearing it. I don't regret the purchase at all, and it's certainly better than the default strap even with that manufacturing hiccup.

That said, good luck even finding one to buy right now; it's pretty much out of stock everywhere. By the time they're actually available again, that problem might not exist anymore. Hopefully.

TheBear

Hey guys, do you have any compelling reasons I shouldn't sell my PSVR for a Rift? I have a capable pc and am interested for the following reasons:

- sim racing (iracing etc)
- videos in VR
- tracking that fucking works
- better visuals (?)

I wanted to wait and see what came out of e3, and aside from a few exclusives it appears that the bulk of great stuff coming to PSVR is already on the rift/steamvr but better. I am however apprehensive about the build of the rift itself as it doesn't seem as nice as psvr. It's also really difficult to discern whether the rift will be a visual upgrade over the PSVR and pro
Also it seems like Sony does get more AAA stuff but aside from RE7 nothing else on it has really blown me away.

Anyway, just wondering if I am missing anything when making this decision as I'm pretty keen to jump in to PCVR

Ps. Vive is not an option. Afaik it's about $600 more than the rift in Aus

If you are interested in iRacing, that alone would be worth the switch. iRacing is nowhere near as good looking a game as DriveClub (even with VR downgrades), but with the game having MSAA and PCs have the option for supersampling, you will get a much cleaner image at a higher framerate.

Hey guys, do you have any compelling reasons I shouldn't sell my PSVR for a Rift? I have a capable pc and am interested for the following reasons:

- sim racing (iracing etc)
- videos in VR
- tracking that fucking works
- better visuals (?)

I wanted to wait and see what came out of e3, and aside from a few exclusives it appears that the bulk of great stuff coming to PSVR is already on the rift/steamvr but better. I am however apprehensive about the build of the rift itself as it doesn't seem as nice as psvr. It's also really difficult to discern whether the rift will be a visual upgrade over the PSVR and pro
Also it seems like Sony does get more AAA stuff but aside from RE7 nothing else on it has really blown me away.

Anyway, just wondering if I am missing anything when making this decision as I'm pretty keen to jump in to PCVR

Ps. Vive is not an option. Afaik it's about $600 more than the rift in Aus

Yep.
- Better and more free tracking is worth it
- Better graphics. You won't see anything close too Robo Recall (which is free for Touch owners) on PSVR.
- More games
- Almost every sim supports VR on PC

- Videos are still too pixelated even with Oculus resolution

cakefoo

Bethesda's Skyrim PSVR booth doesn't seem to have the locomotion method featured in the trailer. I've seen a few times in the trailer that players will stop moving to attack, but they'll also cast spells while walking backwards, which at least proves you won't be completely immobilized. But you want to be able to attack and simultaneously strafe if there's a wall/cliff/enemy etc behind you.

It just seems like they're going to wind up compromising things.

Meanwhile, the Fallout 4 Vive demo station has full locomotion, and apparently teleporting, based on the control scheme guide.

So that kind of rules out the possibility that Bethesda is just trying to avoid motion sickness. Either they don't have the scheme fully figured out yet, or it requires too much of a learning curve for a quick demo. Or they might think that people will critique it, but that's pure speculation due to not knowing specifically how they're getting sliding loco to work with Move.

TheBear

Thanks for the advice guys, I am in the process of selling my PSVR and have ordered a Rift + Touch

Does anyone have any recommendations for covers for the Rift? I'm about to purchase a VR Cover, just wondering if there's anything else worth checking out or if I even need it to begin with.

vermadas

Thanks for the advice guys, I am in the process of selling my PSVR and have ordered a Rift + Touch

Does anyone have any recommendations for covers for the Rift? I'm about to purchase a VR Cover, just wondering if there's anything else worth checking out or if I even need it to begin with.

I got the original VR Cover for the Rift and wasn't too happy with it - the part covering the nose was loose and needed to be adjusted frequently. I ended up "fixing" it with a twist tie around the facial interface. I hear they've since fixed this problem.

WIDMOvr is the other one you might want to consider.

Bethesda's Skyrim PSVR booth doesn't seem to have the locomotion method featured in the trailer. I've seen a few times in the trailer that players will stop moving to attack, but they'll also cast spells while walking backwards, which at least proves you won't be completely immobilized. But you want to be able to attack and simultaneously strafe if there's a wall/cliff/enemy etc behind you.

It just seems like they're going to wind up compromising things.

Meanwhile, the Fallout 4 Vive demo station has full locomotion, and apparently teleporting, based on the control scheme guide.

So that kind of rules out the possibility that Bethesda is just trying to avoid motion sickness. Either they don't have the scheme fully figured out yet, or it requires too much of a learning curve for a quick demo. Or they might think that people will critique it, but that's pure speculation due to not knowing specifically how they're getting sliding loco to work with Move.
From what I heard from impressions, Skyrim VR only has teleport with the Move controllers because they haven't figured out how to do artificial locomotion with them yet (remember they don't have a joystick and you're ambidextrous in Skyrim). It does have regular controller support and that has artificial locomotion.

Mattenth

Reposting this from the Vive thread. Thinking on it more, I think this is likely a flawed data point, but I'd still love more perspectives:

-----------------------

I'm working on a report and was wondering if someone could tell me I'm not crazy here...

Several firms reported around 400-450k HTC Vive units were sold in 2016. But looking at SteamDB, it looks like there are less than 1000 concurrent users and less than 30% total users in the last 2 weeks? Am I reading this right?

https://steamdb.info/app/250820/graphs/

I'm just surprised not to see higher adoption :- hoping someone can tell me I'm looking at this data wrong.

I mentioned in the other thread about how your concurrent player conclusion isn't quite right. The SteamVR page looks to be tracking the history of SteamVR Home and thus you're looking at the concurrent player count for SteamVR Home *alone*. Not the total amount of concurrent players in VR. I'm not entirely sure there is a way to accurately measure how many people are in VR at this moment, besides looking at every single VR exclusive game's concurrent player count and adding it up, including SteamVR. That's already flawed because not everyone uses their headset in VR exclusive games, but it's far closer than what you're looking at now. Obviously, looking at past top concurrent player counts is flawed because there's no guarantee all those players were playing at the same time.

Since you have to go through SteamVR Home unless you disable it, the less than 30% total users in the last 2 weeks is probably accurate.

Reposting this from the Vive thread. Thinking on it more, I think this is likely a flawed data point, but I'd still love more perspectives:

-----------------------

I'm working on a report and was wondering if someone could tell me I'm not crazy here...

Several firms reported around 400-450k HTC Vive units were sold in 2016. But looking at SteamDB, it looks like there are less than 1000 concurrent users and less than 30% total users in the last 2 weeks? Am I reading this right?

https://steamdb.info/app/250820/graphs/

I'm just surprised not to see higher adoption :- hoping someone can tell me I'm looking at this data wrong.

There is 618,009 owners of The Lab , which is VR only.

Zalusithix

There is 618,009 owners of The Lab , which is VR only.

Sort of, kind of - there's nothing stopping somebody from installing it even if they don't have a VR set. They won't be able to use it, but they can still "own" it. Beyond that, if the report is Vive centric, no application on Steam is going to give an accurate representation of just the Vive. Anybody with a Rift and Touch that feels like dipping their toes into SteamVR can play any VR game on Steam. Even OSVR/PSVR users can - assuming they jump through the requisite hoops to get some form of tracked controllers working, and don't mind a compromised experience.

Sort of, kind of - there's nothing stopping somebody from installing it even if they don't have a VR set. They won't be able to use it, but they can still "own" it. Beyond that, if the report is Vive centric, no application on Steam is going to give an accurate representation of just the Vive. Anybody with a Rift and Touch that feels like dipping their toes into SteamVR can play any VR game on Steam. Even OSVR/PSVR users can - assuming they jump through the requisite hoops to get some form of tracked controllers working, and don't mind a compromised experience.

Do you add every free game in Steam? I don't think there will be many people with such strange thoughts.

Yeah, this 600.000 should be splitted between Rift и Vive. I think it will be 30% and 70% accordingly. And still not every Vive owner owns The Lab, but most of them.

Zalusithix

Do you add every free game in Steam? I don't think there will be many people with such strange thoughts.

Yeah, this 600.000 should be splitted between Rift и Vive. I think it will be 30% and 70% accordingly. And still not every Vive owner owns The Lab, but most of them.
Some people were adding The Lab way back around the launch of the Vive thinking they could play it without a VR headset. People can also add it in anticipation of getting a VR headset in the future. Such things might not amount to much, but it just further muddies the water on what those numbers really mean.

We can also start seeing more users of NOLO VR. Check out the video from 6:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s21dPw4I6go
Pretty neat, though I've always questioned the latency and quality of the video with those wifi to cellphone setups.

TheBear

Can anyone recommend an app for monitoring framerate? Using a Rift CV1 but need to be able to use it in both Oculus Home and SteamVR for sim racing

Thank you

EDIT: Found oculus tray tool, but not sure how to monitor frame rate with it. NVM worked it out :)

I still wonder why devs/publisher release techdemos as "paid experiences".

Just saw there is an Assassination Classroom game out and it just looks like a cheaply made "demo" with the licence attached to it...

Zalusithix

I still wonder why devs/publisher release techdemos as "paid experiences".

Just saw there is an Assassination Classroom game out and it just looks like a cheaply made "demo" with the licence attached to it...
There's a number of games using anime/manga licenses to sell garbage. At least the Assassination Classroom one bothered to implement motion controls. The Brave Witches one is KB/M only... Unless the licenses are granted for a percentage of the profit, I don't see how they'd make any money at all with stuff like that. Might have had a chance in hell back in May of last year when there wasn't much out there, but not these days.

There's a number of games using anime/manga licenses to sell garbage. At least the Assassination Classroom one bothered to implement motion controls. The Brave Witches one is KB/M only... Unless the licenses are granted for a percentage of the profit, I don't see how they'd make any money at all with stuff like that. Might have had a chance in hell back in May of last year when there wasn't much out there, but not these days.

The thing is they dont seem to even offer any "deep" gameplay.
Most of the stuff seem like techdemos, the ones you saw devs experimented with motion controls.
Also that Hop Step Sing. They want money for one virtual idol performance, when Nekopara Live does it for free.

And that Assassination Classroom "game" seems to just be 10 minutes for 10,00$...

Zalusithix

Old news but I did not see it in this thread: Oculus Rift + Touch bundle is now $399.
https://www.oculus.com/rift/
Barely anybody uses this thread anyhow anymore. =P PSVR folk stick to their thread, Vive folk to theirs, and Rift users... well, with the new sale, that thread will finally see some action. Probably. ;)

The thing is they dont seem to even offer any "deep" gameplay.
Most of the stuff seem like techdemos, the ones you saw devs experimented with motion controls.
Also that Hop Step Sing. They want money for one virtual idol performance, when Nekopara Live does it for free.

And that Assassination Classroom "game" seems to just be 10 minutes for 10,00$...
Yep, like I said, it's garbage. On the plus side, it's obvious as hell that it's garbage from the get go, so I can't see anybody parting with their money not knowing what they're getting into. Even if they were stupid enough to buy the games thinking they weren't garbage, the refund procedure exists.

That said, it's a bit vexing that something like that Brave Witches "game" can get something like 9 reviews (regardless of whether they're positive). Meanwhile a game like Airtone - released in the same time frame by a Japanese dev, and marginally more expensive - only has 6 times that despite being one of the best rhythm games in VR. Steamspy numbers are even more depressing.

Barely anybody uses this thread anyhow anymore. =P PSVR folk stick to their thread, Vive folk to theirs, and Rift users... well, with the new sale, that thread will finally see some action. Probably. ;)

Yep, like I said, it's garbage. On the plus side, it's obvious as hell that it's garbage from the get go, so I can't see anybody parting with their money not knowing what they're getting into. Even if they were stupid enough to buy the games thinking they weren't garbage, the refund procedure exists.

That said, it's a bit vexing that something like that Brave Witches "game" can get something like 9 reviews (regardless of whether they're positive). Meanwhile a game like Airtone - released in the same time frame by a Japanese dev, and marginally more expensive - only has 6 times that despite being one of the best rhythm games in VR. Steamspy numbers are even more depressing.

Well I'll be in here. Not sure why people wouldn't want to talk about VR more generally. I guess to some degree I can understand PSVR users separating, but Vive and Oculus users seems strange considering it's almost entirely shared libraries.

Not to mention many of the more invested VR enthusiasts here have multiple if not all three VR systems.

Zalusithix

Well I'll be in here. Not sure why people wouldn't want to talk about VR more generally. I guess to some degree I can understand PSVR users separating, but Vive and Oculus users seems strange considering it's almost entirely shared libraries.

Not to mention many of the more invested VR enthusiasts here have multiple if not all three VR systems.

As mentioned in the Rift sale thread, I think we're best off creating a new thread dedicated to PCVR games/software. This thread is kind of a general discussion thread encompassing hardware and software, and isn't restricted to the PC space. That and it's old with lots of outdated info. With the upcoming hardware launches I think we have a good opportunity to start fresh. Put the focus on the content, not the hardware. A place where upcoming games and current releases can be discussed where they'd otherwise fall to obscurity in the greater GAF. Possibly have some running suggestion list of games broken down by genre in the OT.

Would need a rule for no exclusivity complaints in the thread though, or it could rather quickly be derailed. Leave that sort of stuff for the platform specific threads.

As mentioned in the Rift sale thread, I think we're best off creating a new thread dedicated to PCVR games/software. This thread is kind of a general discussion thread encompassing hardware and software, and isn't restricted to the PC space. That and it's old with lots of outdated info. With the upcoming hardware launches I think we have a good opportunity to start fresh. Put the focus on the content, not the hardware. A place where upcoming games and current releases can be discussed where they'd otherwise fall to obscurity in the greater GAF. Possibly have some running suggestion list of games broken down by genre in the OT.

Would need a rule for no exclusivity complaints in the thread though, or it could rather quickly be derailed. Leave that sort of stuff for the platform specific threads.

That sounds like a good course of action. The only issue is it would require active participation from a mod and likely require consilidating the other two threads into a PCVR thread. I'm not sure how well that word work. Entrenched threads as they are now usually won't migrate themselves simply out of habit.

Zalusithix

Entrenched threads as they are now usually won't migrate themselves simply out of habit.

Right now 90% of PCVR game discussion is in the Vive thread. It's the de-facto SteamVR thread and has discussion for Oculus games as well thanks to ReVive. Once there's more than one native SteamVR headset (hello LG), the Vive thread is naturally either going to fracture or migrate to a new more generic hardware thread that encompasses both units. Either way it'll force game discussion to move to another thread. The only question is whether a migration could be accomplished before that.

Lakuza

is eve:valkryie worth getting? How long is the campaign?
Just read the update that they are adding a graphics upgrade for users with a 1070 or above which is good timing for me since I'm using a 1080.
In order to take advantage of Ultra graphics setting in EVE: Valkyrie, CCP and NVIDIA recommend the following minimum hardware specifications:

NVIDIA GTX 1070 graphics card
Intel Core i5-4590 processor
8GB RAM

Pilots whose graphics setting are currently set to Ultra will be auto-reset to High if their graphics card no longer meets the updated specification.

If you've got the right hardware, turn on Ultra mode and let us know what you think!

CCP Newcastle
They've got screen comparisons on their site:
https://www.evevalkyrie.com/articles/news/eve-valkyrie-on-the-cutting-edge

low-G

is eve:valkryie worth getting? How long is the campaign

Very light on single player content. You can't unlock the better ships just playing single player but you can do skirmishes over and over. Really focused on MP. I definitely would not pay the full price (I got it free).

Get House of the Dying Sun, even though that's short, it's way better in just about every way.

Top Bottom