• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

SimplexPL

Well I'll be in here. Not sure why people wouldn't want to talk about VR more generally. I guess to some degree I can understand PSVR users separating, but Vive and Oculus users seems strange considering it's almost entirely shared libraries.
Not to mention many of the more invested VR enthusiasts here have multiple if not all three VR systems.
A similar situation is on reddit, there are is r/virtualreality and r/SteamVR, but most action happens on r/Vive and r/Oculus

Zalusithix

A similar situation is on reddit, there are is r/virtualreality and r/SteamVR, but most action happens on r/Vive and r/Oculus

On Reddit, from what I've seen at least, there's a much larger Vive vs Rift conflict than we have on GAF. Merging those two communities would be... difficult to say the least. That said, r/SteamVR might pick up pace when the LG unit hits.

Paganmoon

On Reddit, from what I've seen at least, there's a much larger Vive vs Rift conflict than we have on GAF. Merging those two communities would be... difficult to say the least. That said, r/SteamVR might pick up pace when the LG unit hits.

r/Vive is a bit... strange at times, I remember sometime last year was it, when the mods wanted to change the name of the subreddit to something less strictly connected with Vive (was it VirtualReality or something?), and half the subreddit exploded it felt like.

Lakuza

Very light on single player content. You can't unlock the better ships just playing single player but you can do skirmishes over and over. Really focused on MP. I definitely would not pay the full price (I got it free).

Get House of the Dying Sun, even though that's short, it's way better in just about every way.

Thanks, i'll wait for the next sale before trying eve in that case. I'm also neutral to cockpit games so there's no rush for me.

VR folks, please...help me.

Vive or Oculus?

Only real issue for me is price. I already have a GearVR which blew my mind and gave me the VR bug.

Which do I buy? I can afford both, I have a dedicated mancave in which to play games.

nwIbUZ6.jpg

I'm looking to make this purchase today - any advice is appreciated.

Vive or Oculus?

If I were a big baller that could scoff at a $400 difference in price, I would go with the Vive. I like how the sensors don't use up any USB ports and just generally like Valve's approach to VR over Oculus. BUT it's really hard to recommend that now when you can get pretty much the same experience for a much cheaper price. Use that saved money to buy more games.

MaDKaT

For Vive I heard Valve/HTC will have a full wireless successor early next year?

Heard where? There are wireless add-ons coming down the pipe, TPCast and something from intel, but no word on next gen headsets.

To the question about Vive or Rift? As a Vive owner the price is just too good on Rift right now with the deal. With a 3rd sensor you will have Solid room scale and you can play just about everything the Vive can.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Vive or Oculus?

Only real issue for me is price. I already have a GearVR which blew my mind and gave me the VR bug.

Which do I buy? I can afford both, I have a dedicated mancave in which to play games.

vive has the best tracking

Sir Doom

Vive or Oculus?

Oculus
Also because of exclusive games

Thanks for all the responses folks. <3

I just sold two GTX970's, so the rift pack only cost me £200. Will come some point next week.

Genuinely hyped - already play a lot of Elite Dangerous (I'm betting this will breathe new life into it) - any other "must buys"? I will admit to being a massive wuss, so will nope the fuck out of any horror titles.

Do GearVR purchases carry across to the rift?

Cleve

Vive or Oculus?

Only real issue for me is price
. I already have a GearVR which blew my mind and gave me the VR bug.

Which do I buy? I can afford both,
I have a dedicated mancave in which to play games.

Is price an issue, or not?

If it's a consideration at all, Oculus is a way better value at $450 for room scale. Vive is a little cleaner for setup (no usb cords to a back camera) but both provide great tracking now and the same software (with a little work).

Vive or Oculus?

So is the price an issue or not?

Anyway, the Vive is better overall. But Not worth the $400 extra.

I say get the Oculus with 3 sensors setup.

Cleve

your already in the high end pc and pc vr game if money was a problem to begin with why even bother when you are getting into a market like this might as well as go for the best its a all in sort of deal

There's a huge difference between $450 and $800. It's not 'money is a problem' as much as I can't recommend paying twice as much for a 5% better experience.

Do you get a 1080ti or a titan xp?

The Vive is great, I love it, but it's a hard sell if they don't work to bring the price down.

Ne0n

Banned
^I'd say it's alot much better than 5%.. The oculus is def a steal at that price, but room scale tracking is just nowhere near as accurate, not to mention the horror show of strewn wires you'll have to put up with, but most importantly playing games that require pin point accuracy i find it just too hit and miss on the oculus, vive is just a whole lot smoother and less bullshit.

Man, the dev for hot Dogs, horseshoes & hand grenades is an absolute G.

I only just noticed he put a 'Gun kata' training mode in the game, complete with Cleric guns and even the muzzle flash too.. Any people who are fans of the movie Equilibrium will know what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM

Soi-Fong

^I'd say it's alot much better than 5%.. The oculus is def a steal at that price, but room scale tracking is just nowhere near as accurate, not to mention the horror show of strewn wires you'll have to put up with, but most importantly playing games that require pin point accuracy i find it just too hit and miss on the oculus, vive is just a whole lot smoother and less bullshit.

I only just noticed he put a 'Gun kata' training mode in the game, complete with Cleric guns and even the muzzle flash too.. Any people who are fans of the movie Equilibrium will know what I'm talking about

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. As a developer who's released on both platforms, with a 3rd sensor Oculus roomscale basically rivals that of the Vice.

The tracking is the same on both and solid as hell.

I can DEFINITELY say Vive tracking isn't worth an extra $400. That and the Vive is just uncomgortable. Even with the $100 Audio Deluxe Strap, the Vive is still not as comfortable as the Rift.

People gotta stop saying this. My Rift has perfect tracking. Yes, you probably do have to get wall mounts to get it that way,but they're like 5 bucks. And yes, the tracking used to kinda suck at the beginning (I got my Rift a year ago at full price), but they fixed it. People need to know this so they can make a more informed choice.

Right now the main thing a Vive has over the Rift is the possibility of a bigger playspace, as well as not having to deal with sensor wires.

Ne0n

Banned
I only used 3 sensors. in a pretty large room, I found it to be shitty, personally. and just the whole process was a ballache with the wires everywhere and having to plug em out and in every time. superhot was impossible to play for me on it, i guess i could have halved the play area of the room but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a room dedicated to VR

The vive was a much smoother experience for me with large room tracking. for seated I think occulus would be fine. or just standing in one spot.

(my opinion based on my personal experience, please don't be upset)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. As a developer who's released on both platforms, with a 3rd sensor Oculus roomscale basically rivals that of the Vice.

I can DEFINITELY say Vive tracking isn't worth an extra $400. That and the Vive is just uncomgortable. Even with the $100 Audio Deluxe Strap, the Vive is still not as comfortable as the Rift.

Isn’t it a $300 difference if you need to buy a 3rd sensor? And won’t you be more likely to hit issues with cable length, enough usb 3 ports etc? At that point while the absolute tracking capability may be comparable, the convenience may start to be worth it,

Isn't it a $300 difference if you need to buy a 3rd sensor? And won't you be more likely to hit issues with cable length, enough usb 3 ports etc? At that point while the absolute tracking capability may be comparable, the convenience may start to be worth it,

340 dollar difference? C'mon son. Vive is definitely better, no doubt about it, but there really isn't a way that the convenience is worth that massive of a price difference. That's over 10 games there.

Anyways, I'd guess most set ups are capable of handling 360 degree tracking with two cameras placed diagonally. Used a program that showed my camera FOVs in 3D space and allowed me to get them positioned perfectly in like five minutes.

Isn’t it a $300 difference if you need to buy a 3rd sensor? And won’t you be more likely to hit issues with cable length, enough usb 3 ports etc? At that point while the absolute tracking capability may be comparable, the convenience may start to be worth it,

$340 difference. An additional sensor is only $60. If you are having trouble with USB ports, then you would need to spend an extra $20 on an expansion card. Not sure what you mean with having issues with cable length, the third sensor you buy comes with a USB extender.

Also, the amount of free software you get with Oculus far out weighs anything that is currently bundled with the vive.

Ne0n

Banned
Anyone have 'firebird La peri' ?
Another perfect example of VR being just fucking incredible when it comes to interactive experiences. The end gave me goosebumps and butterflies. so incredible. if I would have been on acid I no doubt would have fallen to my knees and cried my eyes out. The production value here is on the same level as FORM.

Lakuza

People gotta stop saying this. My Rift has perfect tracking. Yes, you probably do have to get wall mounts to get it that way,but they're like 5 bucks. And yes, the tracking used to kinda suck at the beginning (I got my Rift a year ago at full price), but they fixed it. People need to know this so they can make a more informed choice.

Right now the main thing a Vive has over the Rift is the possibility of a bigger playspace, as well as not having to deal with sensor wires.

I'll echo this too, no tracking issues whatsoever with my setup. I get perfect 1:1 movement with the game, no occlusion. I have 2 front sensors in the top corners of my play area looking down towards the center of the play area and the 3rd sensor is positioned behind me facing down towards the center (its wall mounted near the top of the room in the middle of the play area).

Also the sensor wires are not an issue for me. I just clipped them to the wall so it runs right round to the back of the pc. Out of the way and no mess.

So in anticipation of my Oculus Ultimate Bundle arriving at some point this week coming, I've purchased myself a USB 3.0 PCI card with 5 ports on it.

Do I need stupidly long USB cables in order to set up the sensors in the right places? Can anyone advise on what length cables it comes with?

Want to make sure I'm 100% prepared with everything I'm going to need. Really can't wait.

Any recommended game purchases? (excluding horror)

So in anticipation of my Oculus Ultimate Bundle arriving at some point this week coming, I've purchased myself a USB 3.0 PCI card with 5 ports on it.

Do I need stupidly long USB cables in order to set up the sensors in the right places? Can anyone advise on what length cables it comes with?

Want to make sure I'm 100% prepared with everything I'm going to need. Really can't wait.

Any recommended game purchases? (excluding horror)

How big is your room?

How big is your room?

I've probably got around 1.5m² to spin around in, but there's a coffee table and a sofa to contend with. The room itself is 2m x 4m.

I'd be standing in the area just in front of my desk.

EDIT/Update:

I've now cleared some space - this is what I've got to move around in. I understand for good tracking I'll need to pick up a 3rd sensor to live behind me? Is that right?

Gnub

This past weekend the Oculus store had a free weekend for Landfall. In a monitor setup, this would be a simple isometric shooter. VR adds a new layer to it making it seem like a new experience. It feels like a modern war diorama with remote control GI Joes. Really nice.

I also tried Kryptcrawler. Its a grid based dungeon adventure in VR. It was cool but just plays as expected. I didn't feel like it had enough bells and whistles to blow me away. It's a pretty sold game overall.

Dartastic

Cross post from the $399 thread but...

Question for those who have dealt with this before. There are games that I want to play seated (Eve: Valkyrie, Lucky's Tale, etc.) but when I configured my Rift, they told me to stand up and the games don't seem to have an easy way for me to calibrate whether I'm sitting or standing and adjust my view accordingly. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Cross post from the $399 thread but...

Question for those who have dealt with this before. There are games that I want to play seated (Eve: Valkyrie, Lucky's Tale, etc.) but when I configured my Rift, they told me to stand up and the games don't seem to have an easy way for me to calibrate whether I'm sitting or standing and adjust my view accordingly. Any ideas on how to fix that?

You can re-center at any time by hitting the Oculus button on your Touch controller or the Oculus Remote, then my hitting the re-center button in there.

NimbusD

Anyone have insight into doing mixed reality videos? Like this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJLFizUO3gCQnyiYKMYvUgg

Pretty well versed in streaming and using OBS, just completely unsure how the third person camera gets set up. Have an opportunity to push to run something like this at my job, my boss is interested and I want to have an excuse to play with my oculus more haha. Anyone know where to start looking?

Anyone have insight into doing mixed reality videos? Like this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJLFizUO3gCQnyiYKMYvUgg

Pretty well versed in streaming and using OBS, just completely unsure how the third person camera gets set up. Have an opportunity to push to run something like this at my job, my boss is interested and I want to have an excuse to play with my oculus more haha. Anyone know where to start looking?

https://streamshark.io/blog/live-stream-mixed-reality/

Would be awesome, but no way do I have space to do something like this.

NimbusD

https://streamshark.io/blog/live-stream-mixed-reality/

Would be awesome, but no way do I have space to do something like this.
That's awesome, exactly what I was looking for, except it appears to only support Vive. Idk that it would work with Oculus without specific support ugh.

I know there's more stuff like this coming, I've heard interesting things through my job, but was hoping to be able to get some Hodge lodge version of it up and running sooner than later meh.

Zalusithix

Windows MR/VR controllers are massive

I still smash the Vive controllers against each other once in a blue moon but I'm sure I would destroy those unintentionally if there is a game like Audioshied to play with those.

I'm actually not sure if they're much larger than the Vive wands once you factor in the perspective and the grip being thinner than the Vive. Kind of hard to tell without a side by side comparison, but they don't appear to be all that different from the Vive ring size if you're including the struts that stick out to either side of that ring.

Of course, even matching the Vive wands in size wouldn't exactly be an achievement. I give the Vive wands a pass for being the first mass produced VR controller, but anything coming out now should ideally be smaller or designed in such a way that the size has less impact on hand to hand interaction.

Of course, even matching the Vive wands in size wouldn't exactly be an achievement. I give the Vive wands a pass for being the first mass produced VR controller, but anything coming out now should ideally be smaller or designed in such a way that the size has less impact on hand to hand interaction.

I could be inclined to give Microsoft a pass as well given that their system is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Vive wands. Affordability matters and may come with sacrifices.

(Mind you, this is all theoretical, as the Microsoft controllers have their own problem in the form of that line of sight requirement)

Copy from my impressions on VR titles at PAX.

Was first in line behind media to Fallout 4 VR today. Did free locomotion. Did not feel great on Vive, I imagine it would be way better on Oculus since it has proper analog sticks. Turning was jarring though, lot of stuttering in their rig. Aiming was wonky, iron sights didn't line up outside a few notable weapons like the 10mm pistol. Most the people I saw simply ended up resorting to firing lots of explosives at things. Was kind of disappointing, really hope they polish that up in time.

Second Sprint Vector from Survios studio (Raw Data) was a blast to play. We ended up getting some of the top times of the day and my buddy was top two so raced for a 7700k. He lost in a close match, but the guy he lost to was a really nice guy from Canada and I think he genuinely wanted it for his rig. Anyway just a lot of fun, really nice workout too in competitive heats. Worked up a sweat playing it

Effectively it involves pulling the air back behind you (running by grabbing and pulling yourself), you can jump, glide, drift and use a small number of power ups. Kind of like a physically active version of a kart racing game. I'll definitely be picking that up.

Top Bottom