• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Tain

Space Pirate Trainer leaving early access, large update October 12th.

https://uploadvr.com/space-pirate-trainer-launch-october/

Still one of my favorite VR games to date. Includes new waves, boss fights, and mothership level.

Space-Pirate-Trainer-Alpha.jpg

hell yeaaaaaaa

SPT in its current form is mostly a good a template for a bigger great game, but the dodging and sound design and drone physics and weapons all just feel so good in a way that, IMO, other VR wave shooters haven't really hit.

A greater sense of progression through more enemy variety, bosses, and environment changes could make it amazing.

kuYuri

Gunfire Games's new game From Other Suns is currently in open beta on the Oculus store. I didn't even know about it, just happened to randomly check the store today and there it was. It ends tomorrow, so not much time left.

Apparently, it's like a first person FTL? I'm literally at the beginning, so it's hard to say, but it seems like it based on the description. I finished the tutorial and was exploring an abandoned space station, but then the batteries on my left Oculus Touch died, so I can't continue right now, lol.

Lakuza

Gunfire Games's new game From Other Suns is currently in open beta on the Oculus store. I didn't even know about it, just happened to randomly check the store today and there it was. It ends tomorrow, so not much time left.

Apparently, it's like a first person FTL? I'm literally at the beginning, so it's hard to say, but it seems like it based on the description. I finished the tutorial and was exploring an abandoned space station, but then the batteries on my left Oculus Touch died, so I can't continue right now, lol.

yeah we were discussing it in the pc vr thread(Page with some impressions on it) since its exclusive to pc (this thread includes ps4 so thats why it wasn't mentioned in this thread).

It's definately a day 1 buy from me, put around 4-5 hours minimum this weekend on it and still found new things each time I played(tons of mission variety, cool weapons and I only found grenades in my last playthrough today lol). It did have a ton of crashes and bugs though so hopefully they'll be ironed out before release as they were common ones reported in the reddit discussion where the devs were active on.

kuYuri

yeah we were discussing it in the pc vr thread(Page with some impressions on it) since its exclusive to pc (this thread includes ps4 so thats why it wasn't mentioned in this thread).

It's definately a day 1 buy from me, put around 4-5 hours minimum this weekend on it and still found new things each time I played(tons of mission variety, cool weapons and I only found grenades in my last playthrough today lol). It did have a ton of crashes and bugs though so hopefully they'll be ironed out before release as they were common ones reported in the reddit discussion where the devs were active on.

Ah ok. Weird, I did a search for VR threads, must have missed that one somehow.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This is so incredibly sad. Carl gave us such a fantastic glimpse into the potential of PPSSPP-VR. Playing Ridge Racer 2 in VR without the abhorrent graphical glitches would have been a dream come true for me. But in its current state, it is simply unplayable :( Being stuck with the current version of PPSSPPVR no progress in sight is really sad. Carl if you're reading this, please consider handing the source code of PPSSPP-VR over to someone more enthusiastic about improving and progressing the project. You're under no obligation to do anything my friend, but please, for the VR community's sake, give us at least a small update on what your plans are for PPSSPP-VR :(

*cries into a corner*

Lakuza

This is so incredibly sad. Carl gave us such a fantastic glimpse into the potential of PPSSPP-VR. Playing Ridge Racer 2 in VR without the abhorrent graphical glitches would have been a dream come true for me. But in its current state, it is simply unplayable :( Being stuck with the current version of PPSSPPVR no progress in sight is really sad. Carl if you're reading this, please consider handing the source code of PPSSPP-VR over to someone more enthusiastic about improving and progressing the project. You're under no obligation to do anything my friend, but please, for the VR community's sake, give us at least a small update on what your plans are for PPSSPP-VR :(

*cries into a corner*

Didn't know if this was a joke post with that long abbreviation, had to google it to realise its a vr version of a psp emulator XD When i read those letters the first thing i thought was:

pl449t.gif

Hamoody

I'm really hoping for Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades to be on the PSVR.

Tried it out on the Vive and I can say it's really cool.

Invis

For someone wanting to get into VR, would you guys recommend grabbing a headset now, or are there better options looming on the horizon? New headsets with better technology? Or is it stagnant right now and safe to buy?

Tain

Oculus Connect 4 came and went without an explicit new high-end HMD announcement. The upcoming LG SteamVR headset looks nice but not a full generational leap from the Vive.

I don't think it's a bad time to buy, personally.

For someone wanting to get into VR, would you guys recommend grabbing a headset now, or are there better options looming on the horizon? New headsets with better technology? Or is it stagnant right now and safe to buy?
Rift is fantastic at its price. No idea when the new ones are coming and even then you'll probably feel the same apprehension right now.

Obviously, at the pricing, you need to know if you're comfortable with dropping that much money. If you are then absolutely jump in no questions asked. I'm happy I didn't stop to ask questions and went full on in.

Invis

Rift is fantastic at its price. No idea when the new ones are coming and even then you'll probably feel the same apprehension right now.

Obviously, at the pricing, you need to know if you're comfortable with dropping that much money. If you are then absolutely jump in no questions asked. I'm happy I didn't stop to ask questions and went full on in.

Seeing the Rift drop it's bundle down to $400 is very tempting. Since it was always out of my price range until now, I haven't stayed up to date with anything VR really.

I remember there being some talk about platform exclusivity with VR? Is that still around, or is there a way around that where you can play any VR game on any headset, specifically the Rift?

Seeing the Rift drop it's bundle down to $400 is very tempting. Since it was always out of my price range until now, I haven't stayed up to date with anything VR really.

I remember there being some talk about platform exclusivity with VR? Is that still around, or is there a way around that where you can play any VR game on any headset, specifically the Rift?
Both PC headsets can play each other's games, Rift natively with Oculus and SteamVR, Vive natively with SteamVR and using a simple to use mod can use the Oculus store.

The real exclusivity divide is between PSVR and the PC headsets, which is fine by me if it pushes more people to buy both (I'm looking for a PSVR right now). Oculus at first didn't like the mod for Vive users to use its store, but now basically ignore it and let it happen as it just means more sales.

You're buying a first gen product that's technically third gen since two developer kits came out. The Touch controllers are ridiculously good for VR right now and coming with the headset is awesome. I have had people - my mom, random friends not into gaming, my friends who are as well - all wish they had some way of obtaining a Rift after trying it just once, with the PC being the biggest wall of course.

One thing to remember is you're getting a decent amount of software with the Rift, including the excellent Robo Recall which is a fantastic way to show off the system. Two cameras works nicely and bumping that up to three isn't expensive. Even if you're not planning on buying one soon, make an account on Oculus and download the great multiplayer game Echo Arena while it's still free!

Zalusithix

Official successors to the Vive and Rift aren't likely to show up in the near term, but there are other, newer units in the pipeline for PCVR. There's both the Pimax and LG unit (Scroll to the "LG EZ-VR" section in the SteamVR thread) coming up. That said, the Pimax option is more expensive than Rift/Vive in addition to the KS risk, and prices are unknown for the LG unit.

There is no right answer to the question though. Personally, if I was leaning towards the Rift side of things, I'd jump in now as there doesn't appear to be any reason not to take advantage of the now permanently lowered cost. On the SteamVR side of things, I'd probably wait for either HTC to respond to the latest Rift price drop, or for the LG unit to hit before making a decision. Pimax as an entry point to VR seems a bit risky to me - between the kickstarter nature and questionable warranty.

Invis

Both PC headsets can play each other's games, Rift natively with Oculus and SteamVR, Vive natively with SteamVR and using a simple to use mod can use the Oculus store.

The real exclusivity divide is between PSVR and the PC headsets, which is fine by me if it pushes more people to buy both (I'm looking for a PSVR right now). Oculus at first didn't like the mod for Vive users to use its store, but now basically ignore it and let it happen as it just means more sales.

You're buying a first gen product that's technically third gen since two developer kits came out. The Touch controllers are ridiculously good for VR right now and coming with the headset is awesome. I have had people - my mom, random friends not into gaming, my friends who are as well - all wish they had some way of obtaining a Rift after trying it just once, with the PC being the biggest wall of course.

One thing to remember is you're getting a decent amount of software with the Rift, including the excellent Robo Recall which is a fantastic way to show off the system. Two cameras works nicely and bumping that up to three isn't expensive. Even if you're not planning on buying one soon, make an account on Oculus and download the great multiplayer game Echo Arena while it's still free!

That's good to hear regarding there being no real exclusivity anymore on PC.

Just installed Oculus software and grabbed Echo Arena while I was it, so thanks for the heads up.

I see a Best Buy near me has demo units for the Rift + Touch on Sunday so I'm going to try to head over there and try it out for the first time. I might just walk out with one too, ha.

Steel

Banned

There are improved headsets on the horizon, and there's the improved knuckles controller for the vive as well as other steamvr HMDs. That being said, the Oculus is at a really good price atm.

nubbe

what's the deal with windows mixed reality in Europe?
Seem to be nowhere to pre order besides the shitty HP one on Amazon

fluffthetiger

Neo Member
Bought Lone Echo, graphics are outstanding. It did take a lot of messing about to get it smooth in ReVive.

I hope the story peaks though. I've just got outside and feels like I've been running errands for the last couple of hours.

Lakuza

Bought Lone Echo, graphics are outstanding. It did take a lot of messing about to get it smooth in ReVive.

I hope the story peaks though. I've just got outside and feels like I've been running errands for the last couple of hours.

Yeah, the story will pick up but you're at a part now where you can explore and pick up hidden side quests to do, which are errand based since you're repairing the ship and different elements. Theres a secret drill jatpack like thing you can find at the top of the main spacestation, once you grab it you can zoom about and do barrel rolls. :)

We have a game discussion thread for pc exclusive vr games here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109&page=30

fluffthetiger

Neo Member
Yeah, the story will pick up but you're at a part now where you can explore and pick up hidden side quests to do, which are errand based since you're repairing the ship and different elements. Theres a secret drill jatpack like thing you can find at the top of the main spacestation, once you grab it you can zoom about and do barrel rolls. :)

We have a game discussion thread for pc exclusive vr games here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109&page=30

Thread noted thanks. Looking forward to advancing and will check out the top of the station then : )

Bebpo

Banned
So I kinda dislike VR. I have a Rift DK2 and a PS VR and used both for like a month and then never touched them again. Even after months of VR, games still make me feel sick when I play for a while and I prefer playing without the headsets.

But I really, really want to play The Talos Principle in VR. I don't think I can play retail stuff with my DK2 (haven't kept up) and it doesn't look like it's coming to PS VR.

So if I wanted to buy another VR headset, should I buy Vive at this point? Or should I buy Rift retail? I'm honestly not sure if I have room in my gaming room for the Vive room size square ><

Wallach

So I kinda dislike VR. I have a Rift DK2 and a PS VR and used both for like a month and then never touched them again. Even after months of VR, games still make me feel sick when I play for a while and I prefer playing without the headsets.

But I really, really want to play The Talos Principle in VR. I don't think I can play retail stuff with my DK2 (haven't kept up) and it doesn't look like it's coming to PS VR.

So if I wanted to buy another VR headset, should I buy Vive at this point? Or should I buy Rift retail? I'm honestly not sure if I have room in my gaming room for the Vive room size square ><

Honestly with the current price difference, I feel like the Vive is a little harder to justify right now. Even on a 3 camera setup you're gonna come in well under a Vive (without considering the deluxe strap or upcoming new controllers).

They're both great, but if you already aren't that invested into VR personally I'm not sure it makes sense to spend the extra money.

Tain

Without knowing what you play on PSVR, I'm guessing you haven't tried much software based around VR motion controllers. It's a very different experience and often one that avoids the simulation sickness risks you see in a lot of PSVR games and DK2-era stuff. I'd be surprised if Talos Principle made you sick using the default movement options, for instance.

That said, I'm with Wallach in the camp that the Rift's price advantage has become too hard to overlook. I think that the Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap (which I'd HIGHLY suggest to bring it to roughly comfort-parity with Rift) is ultimately a slightly better experience, but that's still $700 total. With the Rift the cables can be a pain to get a 360-degree setup going (which you'll most likely want) but maybe not enough of a pain to be worth dropping the extra cash on the Vive.

Which PC VR headset is most recommended for small setups? Best I can do is standing, no roomscale. Even then, standing isn't really my preferred VR method, coming from the PSVR. I wanna be comfy while playing, as long as the game supports it.

Right now I've got my eye on the Rift since the 2 sensors + HMD + Touch Controllers bundle is 300 euros (yes, 300) cheaper here in Spain, but compatibility is a concern for me. Is there such a thing as a Vive game that right now cannot work on Rift + Touch, considering the multiple sensor 360º tracking?

I'm especially worried about DOOM VFR and Skyrim VR, since they don't list Oculus as being supported at all on the Steam store, but I've read online that the Rift can be made to work with any Vive game by configuring it in SteamVR. Is this true? Does anyone know if it will or should be true for Doom and Skyrim?

Beyond that, is the image quality, SDE and controller tracking noticeably inferior on the Oculus? I've heard about the godrays and Touch being slightly more prone to occlusion, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it actually is. What I really want to get away from is the rather poor tracking on the PS Move controllers. Shooters / sword games like Raw Data are thus far my favorite games in VR and the tracking on the Moves, while workable, isn't up to my desired standard.

Wallach

Which PC VR headset is most recommended for small setups? Best I can do is standing, no roomscale. Even then, standing isn't really my preferred VR method, coming from the PSVR. I wanna be comfy while playing, as long as the game supports it.

Right now I've got my eye on the Rift since the 2 sensors + HMD + Touch Controllers bundle is 300 euros (yes, 300) cheaper here in Spain, but compatibility is a concern for me. Is there such a thing as a Vive game that right now cannot work on Rift + Touch, considering the multiple sensor 360º tracking?

I'm especially worried about DOOM VFR and Skyrim VR, since they don't list Oculus as being supported at all on the Steam store, but I've read online that the Rift can be made to work with any Vive game by configuring it in SteamVR. Is this true? Does anyone know if it will or should be true for Doom and Skyrim?

Beyond that, is the image quality, SDE and controller tracking noticeably inferior on the Oculus? I've heard about the godrays and Touch being slightly more prone to occlusion, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it actually is. What I really want to get away from is the rather poor tracking on the PS Move controllers. Shooters / sword games like Raw Data are thus far my favorite games in VR and the tracking on the Moves, while workable, isn't up to my desired standard.

Even on a 2 camera setup, the tracking on the Rift & Touch are worlds apart from PSVR. I wouldn't worry about tracking if you're only going to be doing seated or standing VR, there really aren't notable issues with the Rift in that configuration. I run a 3 camera setup for roomscale style setup on my Rift, and I find that you actually need a pretty sizeable play area for there to be notable differences in tracking between a Rift and a Vive. The occlusion differences were actually a lot more minor than I expected (to the point where I felt very comfortable selling my Vive after I got my third camera).

As far as image quality & SDE, I'd actually say the Rift edges the Vive slightly there, but not by much. It's more brightness and FOV where the Vive edges the Rift. I also prefer the eye overlap design in the Vive, but that is a pretty minor thing.

Game support also probably favors the Rift compared to the Vive, because when you work in OpenVR (which all Vive targeted titles do) it is going to work on both platforms, whereas games on the Oculus SDK need to be made compatible with the Vive (see ReVive). The times where games are not ideal are ones where they are using the trackpads in a way that isn't as easy to emulate on an analog stick, such as using the trackpad as more of a segmented button menu or something. I'd be surprised if either Doom or Skyrim specifically wind up having any control issues when using Touch controllers though.

Durante

Image quality is not inferior on the Rift. The Vive is significantly brighter and has a somewhat larger FoV (especially vertically), but the Rift has less SDE. Rift has more visible godrays, Vive has more visible Frsnel ridges. Really, it comes down to preference between the HMDs in terms of the optical aspects. One clear point in favor of one of the HMDs is that the Vive works much better with glasses.

Still, the real advantage of the Vive is in tracking and ease of setup for tracking. To reach somewhat equivalent tracking coverage and accuracy you need 3 cameras on the Rift, all of which need to be connected to the PC (using compatible USB 3 ports). Still, if you are used to PSVR tracking probably both will seem like a huge upgrade.

Ultimately, IMHO, the more important choice for the long term isn't what VR hardware you buy now, but rather to make sure that you buy your VR software on a platform that is open for future hardware from arbitrary manufacturers. We are already seeing companies who no one heard of before creating some of the most interesting HMDs.

Even on a 2 camera setup, the tracking on the Rift & Touch are worlds apart from PSVR. I wouldn't worry about tracking if you're only going to be doing seated or standing VR, there really aren't notable issues with the Rift in that configuration. I run a 3 camera setup for roomscale style setup on my Rift, and I find that you actually need a pretty sizeable play area for there to be notable differences in tracking between a Rift and a Vive. The occlusion differences were actually a lot more minor than I expected (to the point where I felt very comfortable selling my Vive after I got my third camera).

As far as image quality & SDE, I'd actually say the Rift edges the Vive slightly there, but not by much. It's more brightness and FOV where the Vive edges the Rift. I also prefer the eye overlap design in the Vive, but that is a pretty minor thing.

Game support also probably favors the Rift compared to the Vive, because when you work in OpenVR (which all Vive targeted titles do) it is going to work on both platforms, whereas games on the Oculus SDK need to be made compatible with the Vive (see ReVive). The times where games are not ideal are ones where they are using the trackpads in a way that isn't as easy to emulate on an analog stick, such as using the trackpad as more of a segmented button menu or something. I'd be surprised if either Doom or Skyrim specifically wind up having any control issues when using Touch controllers though.

Awesome, thanks.

Forgot to mention that I use glasses. Very small metal frames, not sure if that makes any difference.

As for making Vive games compatible with Rift through SteamVR... How flexible is the mapping from analog sticks to touchpads? Can you, for instance, map the buttons on Touch to specific sections of the Vive touchpads? Can the Touch analog sticks detect whether or not your finger is on the analog stick, thus emulating whether your finger is on the touchpad?

Also, how's the latency of the controller tracking considering touch vs vive? It's noticeable on PSVR, not sure how it's on PC VR since I've literally never even touched either platform (I've only ever seen Vive HMDs behind glass displays).

Finally, how well does the 3-sensor setup actually work VS Vive roomscale? I'm only ever intending to use standing + 360º rotation, but just in case sometime in the future I get more space to work with and a game requires it (again, i'd rather not even stand up given the choice, but I'm worried about being locked out of a game).

For the multiple sensors setup, keep in mind my laptop has 4 USBs only 3 of which are USB 3.0 (the other is USB 2.0). Not sure if I would have enough ports to work with, and whether USB hubs (externally powered or otherwise) would help me with that.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Ultimately, IMHO, the more important choice for the long term isn't what VR hardware you buy now, but rather to make sure that you buy your VR software on a platform that is open for future hardware from arbitrary manufacturers. We are already seeing companies who no one heard of before creating some of the most interesting HMDs.

I'll most likely be using Steam every single time I'm allowed the choice. Besides Robo Recall and Dirt Rally, I don't think there's a single Rift exclusive I want to get, and one of those is on Steam anyway.

Wallach

Awesome, thanks.

Forgot to mention that I use glasses. Very small metal frames, not sure if that makes any difference.

Well, I can tell you straight away that the Vive is WAY more friendly to glasses. Even small frames are probably not going to be a great time in a Rift. I wear glasses too but I decided to get VR prescription lenses to insert (and wore contact prior to that) because it straight sucks trying to wear frames with the Rift. That's something they definitely need to address in their next headset. They were okay on the Vive; still not ideal (I actually got prescription lenses there too in the end) but definitely way more comfortable and was clearly designed around to some extent.

As for making Vive games compatible with Rift through SteamVR... How flexible is the mapping from analog sticks to touchpads? Can you, for instance, map the buttons on Touch to specific sections of the Vive touchpads? Can the Touch analog sticks detect whether or not your finger is on the analog stick, thus emulating whether your finger is on the touchpad?

It's somewhat flexible because the Touch analog is capacitive so it knows when you're just touching the surface of it, but it's not ideal. To be fair there aren't many games I can think of where this has ever been particularly relevant; the one that really comes to mind is The Lab because they make a point to do stuff like that with the trackpads.

Also, how's the latency of the controller tracking considering touch vs vive? It's noticeable on PSVR, not sure how it's on PC VR since I've literally never even touched either platform (I've only ever seen Vive HMDs behind glass displays).

It's essentially imperceptible on both the Rift and the Vive. Seriously the difference between PSVR tracking and either of the Rift or Vive tracking systems is not even comparable. Between the Touch and Vive wands, there isn't any noticeable difference I've ever experienced in terms of latency specifically, it's more occlusion where the Vive wands enjoy better occlusion protection thanks to the Lighthouse system.

Finally, how well does the 3-sensor setup actually work VS Vive roomscale? I'm only ever intending to use standing + 360º rotation, but just in case sometime in the future I get more space to work with and a game requires it (again, i'd rather not even stand up given the choice, but I'm worried about being locked out of a game).

For the multiple sensors setup, keep in mind my laptop has 4 USBs only 3 of which are USB 3.0 (the other is USB 2.0). Not sure if I would have enough ports to work with, and whether USB hubs (externally powered or otherwise) would help me with that.

Again, thanks a bunch!

For a 360 degree setup you really would want 3 cameras on the Rift. You don't need USB 3.0 for the cameras, though you'd be using all four to run the setup (so I could see some possible inconvenience if you need to unplug anything to use VR).

Like I mentioned though, I run the 3 camera setup in a space probably 12 feet squared or so and after comparing the two I felt like the difference was so insignificant I didn't want to keep both setups around and wound up selling my Vive to another user here. With 2 cameras, you only really have 360 degree standing capability when not using Touch, since when you turn around the cameras can see the back of the Rift, but the controllers can be blocked by your body. But on 3 cameras in this space I have played pretty much everything in my library with no notable tracking or occlusion issues. It's mostly when you get to the ground level corners of that size play space where you find spots that the cameras can't always find a controller where a Vive wand will generally still be reporting correctly.

I honestly had more consistent tracking issues with my Vive wands where for whatever reason one of them would get "lost" and do a weird shake dance and then slowly float away for a few seconds before being "found" again. I never was able to isolate why that would happen every once in a while.

Well, I can tell you straight away that the Vive is WAY more friendly to glasses. Even small frames are probably not going to be a great time in a Rift. I wear glasses too but I decided to get VR prescription lenses to insert (and wore contact prior to that) because it straight sucks trying to wear frames with the Rift. That's something they definitely need to address in their next headset. They were okay on the Vive; still not ideal (I actually got prescription lenses there too in the end) but definitely way more comfortable and was clearly designed around to some extent.

How big of a problem is this? Because I don't think I'm gonna be getting prescription lenses. It sounds great but it's probably expensive, and I don't even know where you can buy those in Spain (not that I checked).

Wallach

How big of a problem is this? Because I don't think I'm gonna be getting prescription lenses. It sounds great but it's probably expensive, and I don't even know where you can buy those in Spain (not that I checked).

I've heard some people say they have done alright with the Rift with particularly small frames, but I don't have personal experience with any but my own, which are average size and I felt wasn't even a valid option. It was definitely wack.

As far as the VR lenses, you can order them from VR Lens Lab, but they aren't that cheap (I got the Rift RABS lenses w/o Blueguard which came to €95,00). They are based in Germany though I think, and I had no issue ordering from there in the USA so I'm sure you'd be able to grab a set from Spain.

Durante

With the current price of the Rift I feel like there's not much point to the Windows MR HMDs. Though I'd still like to know how much of an upgrade the Samsung is visually -- it should be at least a bit better.

I've heard some people say they have done alright with the Rift with particularly small frames, but I don't have personal experience with any but my own, which are average size and I felt wasn't even a valid option. It was definitely wack.

As far as the VR lenses, you can order them from VR Lens Lab, but they aren't that cheap (I got the Rift RABS lenses w/o Blueguard which came to &#8364;95,00). They are based in Germany though I think, and I had no issue ordering from there in the USA so I'm sure you'd be able to grab a set from Spain.

Just to be clear, the issue here is the width of the frame, correct? (From one side of your face to the other?). Like, there's enough depth in the headset to accomodate the thickness/depth of the lenses themselves, yes?

AFAIK the Rift can accomodate up to 152mm of width and my frame is only just about 135mm in width. The lenses themselves are just about 7mm deep on their thickest part. Are there any particular measurements I should be taking? (Frame is 30mm high on the highest part, which is the one at the center length of each lens)

Wallach

Just to be clear, the issue here is the width of the frame, correct? (From one side of your face to the other?). Like, there's enough depth in the headset to accomodate the thickness/depth of the lenses themselves, yes?

AFAIK the Rift can accomodate up to 152mm of width and my frame is only just about 135mm in width. The lenses themselves are just about 7mm deep on their thickest part. Are there any particular measurements I should be taking?

Yeah it is definitely a width problem. There was enough pressure that it was uncomfortable to wear them even if I could fit them into the HMD, and when taking off the HMD they'd always get stuck and come off with the HMD. It really just doesn't seem designed to accommodate glasses at all. I just wore contacts until my lenses came in; even on the Vive where it was easy to wear them I didn't like having them on inside the HMD anyway. But someone else who has small enough frames where it works might be able to comment more.

Yeah it is definitely a width problem. There was enough pressure that it was uncomfortable to wear them even if I could fit them into the HMD, and when taking off the HMD they'd always get stuck and come off with the HMD. It really just doesn't seem designed to accommodate glasses at all. I just wore contacts until my lenses came in; even on the Vive where it was easy to wear them I didn't like having them on inside the HMD anyway. But someone else who has small enough frames where it works might be able to comment more.

If it makes any difference, I wear my glasses in the PSVR with absolutely no issues. Using contacts is unfortunately not an option, so for me it's either tank any discomfort or spend the extra cash for lenses. I guess I could just take the discomfort for a few months and then go for the prescription lenses, wouldn't be an entirely horrible investment since my prescription has changed in practically negligible increments for the past 6 or 7 years.

RE4PRR

My Rift should arrive tomorrow. Got the Oculus Software Installed and the Debug tool ready to Supersample my 1080ti.

I've been a Vive fan since day one but the Rift pricing is quite appealing and the controllers are currently better. Not to mention I can't room track anyway.

Overall I'm just looking forward to the VR experience in general, even if that includes playing Alien Isolation with 3rd Party Homebrew, it'll still be epic. Got a big list of games to check out also.

Forgot to ask, how's using the Vive built-in camera for interacting with the outside world? Is it good enough to use a smartphone, for instance?

I assume the Rift doesn't have any similar system?

SimplexPL

Forgot to ask, how's using the Vive built-in camera for interacting with the outside world? Is it good enough to use a smartphone, for instance?

I assume the Rift doesn't have any similar system?

It doesn't.
It would be hard to use smartphone since the image is displayed in "tron mode"
TronMode.jpg

But maybe it can be switched? The camera can definitely display "normal" image, but I only managed to get this normal image as a PIP window glued to the controller.

Lakuza

If it makes any difference, I wear my glasses in the PSVR with absolutely no issues. Using contacts is unfortunately not an option, so for me it's either tank any discomfort or spend the extra cash for lenses. I guess I could just take the discomfort for a few months and then go for the prescription lenses, wouldn't be an entirely horrible investment since my prescription has changed in practically negligible increments for the past 6 or 7 years.

its not about it being uncomfortable to wear with glasses. the problem is there isn't room for the glasses to fit comfortably inside so you risk scratching the rift lenses (goodbye headset if that happens).

its not about it being uncomfortable to wear with glasses. the problem is there isn't room for the glasses to fit comfortably inside so you risk scratching the rift lenses (goodbye headset if that happens).

Well shit. Any way to protect the lenses that you guys can recommend? Ordering custom lenses from the start is probably gonna be too expensive to do.

Lakuza

Well shit. Any way to protect the lenses that you guys can recommend? Ordering custom lenses from the start is probably gonna be too expensive to do.

heres what oculus say in their FAQ section:
Before you wear your Oculus Rift headset with glasses, check to make sure the width and height of your frames are the following sizes:

Width: 142mm or less
Height: 50mm or less
To wear your headset with glasses:

Loosen the side tabs and then the top strap
Move the on-ear headphones outwards
Starting from the front, put your headset on
Tighten the side tabs and then top strap
Move the on-ear headphones down to your ears
To take off your headset with glasses:

Loosen the side tabs and then the top strap
With both hands, pull the headset forward and then take it off
Note: If your glasses don't fit in the headset or the lens of your glasses touch the Rift lens, we recommend you take off your glasses while using your Rift.

Its not impossible to wear the rift with glasses if they are thin/small so its worth measuring them to what oculus say and always be extremely careful when putting the headset on (and vice versa).
some posts from the oculus forum about people who use it with glasses on:

My glasses are 15 cm wide. They fit perfectly, barely brushing the foam on the sides and are completely unnoticable once wearing it. I'd say there's at least another cm or so of play before they start not fitting.

I wear glasses and have no issue, Only thing I do which may be different to someone who doesn't where glasses is place the front on my nose and pull the strap over my head, as apposed to placing it on the back of my head and pulling it down. I encourage everyone that uses my rift to do the same as it stops hair/grease/hair spray etc. getting on the lenses.

I wear glasses and don't have any problems really. Only thing I have to do differently is put the headset on the way Oculus recommended, which takes slightly more time but it's no big deal.

So based on your glasses, you might be ok.
My dad can't use it since his glasses don't fit (they are more rounder so the corners of the headset dont allow the glasses to fit) and one of my brothers has to use contact lenses since his glasses don't fit either or if they do its a little too close to the headset lenses..

Also, on a side note, make sure no direct sunlight hits the lenses (so whenever taking it off or putting on, make sure the lenses don't face a window) or it will permanently damage the insides of the headset.

Its not impossible to wear the rift with glasses if they are thin/small so its worth measuring them to what oculus say and always be extremely careful when putting the headset on (and vice versa).
My glasses are well within the specifications by a generous margin, but I'm very nervous about glass-to-lens contact. According to the spanish Oculus shop they don't do returns unless the item is totally unused, so this is a pretty big issue. Might just have to go for the Vive because of this... But damn, that price difference.

Lakuza

My glasses are well within the specifications by a generous margin, but I'm very nervous about glass-to-lens contact. According to the spanish Oculus shop they don't do returns unless the item is totally unused, so this is a pretty big issue. Might just have to go for the Vive because of this... But damn, that price difference.

It's a strange design decision to make it difficult for people using glasses, I used the gear vr first which is easier to wear them with + the lens distance adjustment can actually allow some people to use it without glasses. So not really sure why oculus chose to not include that feature with the rift.

Do the prescription lens add-ons for the rift make it more expensive than the vive in price?

Do the prescription lens add-ons for the rift make it more expensive than the vive in price?
No, but it starts getting close enough than I might as well just go for the Vive and get roomscale out of the box, as well as allowing friends and family who use glasses to experience it as well. The price difference goes from 250 to 150 euros.

The thing is, if I have to make such a huge investment, I might just not bother and stay on PSVR until gen 2 PCVR even though I really don't want to. A shame, the Rift price really is super freaking great.

Couldn't I just place rubber pieces surrounding the lenses so that my glasses cannot possibly ever reach them, even with a tightened head strap?

I wore my glasses with the Rift until a couple months ago, I don’t see any scratches or anything on the lenses. For me, my glasses fit fine, except that when I took the device off, my glasses would stay inside. A much bigger issue was that my glasses would fog up if it were humid and I were in any way hot (such as when playing a game with lots of exercise, like Robo Recall); once I was in that state, I basically had to stop using VR. I got one of those prescription glasses inserts, and I no longer have the fogging-up problem, which is great.

I paid $94 for the insert plus lenses, from WidmoVR; a much cheaper alternative (that I found out about after buying mine) is to find someone with a 3D printer and print this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460
It works with really cheap lenses taken from a cheap pair of glasses from ZenniOptical, that range from $20 to $30 depending on the prescription.

No, but it starts getting close enough than I might as well just go for the Vive and get roomscale out of the box, as well as allowing friends and family who use glasses to experience it as well. The price difference goes from 250 to 150 euros.

The thing is, if I have to make such a huge investment, I might just not bother and stay on PSVR until gen 2 PCVR even though I really don't want to. A shame, the Rift price really is super freaking great.

Couldn't I just place rubber pieces surrounding the lenses so that my glasses cannot possibly ever reach them, even with a tightened head strap?

I ended up getting a 3D printer around the same time, so I printed my own lens adapter and bought a cheap pair of glasses through Zenni optical. It works great. If you don't have a friend who has a printer, check if your local library does free prints.

Edit: Beaten.

If not I'd always be willing to print one for you. As long as you're based in the U.S that is. Shipping after that probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

A much bigger issue was that my glasses would fog up if it were humid and I were in any way hot (such as when playing a game with lots of exercise, like Robo Recall); once I was in that state, I basically had to stop using VR. I got one of those prescription glasses inserts, and I no longer have the fogging-up problem, which is great.

This happens with PSVR too. I've found that, once the problem occurs, if you just take off the headset and wipe off the fog and sweat it'll take pretty long to happen a second time. Unless the issue is much worse on Rift, I'm already OK with this. Besides, doesn't this happen with the Vive as well?

I ended up getting a 3D printer around the same time, so I printed my own lens adapter and bought a cheap pair of glasses through Zenni optical. It works great. If you don't have a friend who has a printer, check if your local library does free prints.

Edit: Beaten.

If not I'd always be willing to print one for you. As long as you're based in the U.S that is. Shipping after that probably wouldn't be worth the cost.
Thank you very much for the offer but unfortunately I'm in Spain. And besides, getting lens adapters would still mean that my family (almost all of us are near/farsighted in one way or another) wouldn't be able to use the headset (even though they'd do it only ocassionally).

Don't many people use rubber stops around the lenses on PSVR to stop the glasses from getting too close? So as I said before, shouldn't a solution like that be possible with the Rift?

Top Bottom