• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

How do regular games see the Aim controller? Is it just a DualShock4 from their point?

Interesting question. Guess it identifies as a unique device. Can't check until tomorrow being a UK pez.

Further to that, I wonder if the Aim will ever be used in a regular PS4 FPS game? (Obviously camera will be required)

I still need to beat the game (I think I am almost there though, but my review will be late because of that), but I am honestly a bit surprised by the 7s it's getting: I genuinely feel it's better than that, I am having tons of fun with this game and the Aim Controller.
To me, this is really the first "real" game completely built with VR in mind, and it does so many good things it deserves more than 7-7.5, but I guess to each his own, as they say.

Cool!

http://www.roadtovr.com/farpoint-psvr-aim-controller-review/
8.2/10 from Road to Vr

You can clearly see specifically-VR site are appreciating this at least.

Nice. Cool to see some more 8s popping up.

Yeah thanks for your continued coverage, I like the depth and thought put into your VR reviews. You're now actually one of my go to people for VR reviews outside of the dedicated VR media outlets. Having recently tried Starblood Arena, I now agree with almost all the points you raised about it. Sad really, because I was hoping for more from that one as well. This sounds much better all round and immersion sounds good. Will still pick up my Farpoint bundle.

Hope you'll review Dick Wilde, Arizona Sunshine and others that will use the AIM Controller. :) Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I watched that review last night before heading off too and thought it was quite good and thorough.

MattAces

A little off topic but since this is Aim controller thread.
Just played maybe 20 minutes of Dick Wilde. With Move of course.
Tracking is very solid, sound is really great. One special thing is the simulated recoil, haven't seen this in any other games.
Main attraction is how chaotic it is, every enemies spit and jumps in your face. Reminds me House of the Dead a lot actually. It's a static shooter where you sidestep, duck and some minor movement, didn't have any tracking issue so far.

Edit : Just played another 20+ minutes, tried the bow and other gun. Okay if you are a fan of bow game, this game handles bow pretty good. Arrow emits electricity to chain enemies, every shot is really cool. Really liking this game more and more, my favorite thing is how busy you are at all times, there's no pause time in between of enemies, they just keep coming.

Shoeless

I only managed to get through the opening of the game this morning, then the charge on the Aim controller ran out. I'll do some work while it's plugged in then come back to it in a couple of hours to see how it goes, but the opening was certainly pretty impressive.

Kyolux

I only managed to get through the opening of the game this morning, then the charge on the Aim controller ran out. I'll do some work while it's plugged in then come back to it in a couple of hours to see how it goes, but the opening was certainly pretty impressive.

Just went to pick mine up to charge it at work so that doesn't happen to me.

ryseing

A little off topic but since this is Aim controller thread.
Just played maybe 20 minutes of Dick Wilde. With Move of course.
Tracking is very solid, sound is really great. One special thing is the simulated recoil, haven't seen this in any other games.
Main attraction is how chaotic it is, every enemies spit and jumps in your face. Reminds me House of the Dead a lot actually. It's a static shooter where you sidestep, duck and some minor movement, didn't have any tracking issue so far.

Edit : Just played another 20+ minutes, tried the bow and other gun. Okay if you are a fan of bow game, this game handles bow pretty good. Arrow emits electricity to chain enemies, every shot is really cool. Really liking this game more and more, my favorite thing is how busy you are at all times, there's no pause time in between of enemies, they just keep coming.

Not off topic- I intended this to be the Aim OT as well. Thanks for the impressions. I'll likely pick up DW at some point.

MattAces

Not off topic- I intended this to be the Aim OT as well. Thanks for the impressions. I'll likely pick up DW at some point.

Also just found out Dick Wilde is $5 cheaper than Steam, we usually get that console VR tax for most games. Not only we got the Aim controller redesign treatment, we are paying $5 lesser too.

Oh and just in case there wasn't any notification popping up for you, I've added you in PSN.

Kyolux

Also just found out Dick Wilde is $5 cheaper than Steam, we usually get that console VR tax for most games. Not only we got the Aim controller redesign treatment, we are paying $5 lesser too.

Oh and just in case there wasn't any notification popping up for you, I've added you in PSN.

Add me too if you're not already on my fl.

ryseing

With my parents so I won't be at my console likely until tomorrow.

parabolee

The devs have already said that both teleporting and smooth motion options are included in Farpoint, and "in-between" solutions as well, similar to what they have in games like RE7 and Here They Lie.

Is this true? None of the reviews I have seen so far mention teleporting??!

lcap

How does it play with a regular DS4? I don't think I'll be able to buy the AIM controller for a long time (gray market issues) so would like to know if I buy it digitally today.

MattAces

So quick question regarding coop. Does it have campaign coop or just some horde mode?

No campaign co-op. More like co-op missions. 4 of them for now, dev plans to add more. But it is not a horde mode.

How does it play with a regular DS4? I don't think I'll be able to buy the AIM controller for a long time (gray market issues) so would like to know if I buy it digitally today.

According to most of the reviews, some are saying it's tedious and not fun to use it. Some say it's fine. You turn your camera using thumbstick but you are still using your DS4 as your gun, so you will still be looking down in the holographic sight for shooting. Watch the pushsquare video if you can.
Farpoint: PlayStation VR Aim Controller vs DualShock 4 | PS4 | Which Controller Works Best?

lcap

No campaign co-op. More like co-op missions. 4 of them for now, dev plans to add more. But it is not a horde mode.

According to most of the reviews, some are saying it's tedious and not fun to use it. Some say it's fine. You turn your camera using thumbstick but you are still using your DS4 as your gun, so you will still be looking down in the holographic sight for shooting. Watch the pushsquare video if you can.
Farpoint: PlayStation VR Aim Controller vs DualShock 4 | PS4 | Which Controller Works Best?

Thanks, watching now.

Freeman76

Here's a few things that helped me with wobbly problems. Reboot PS4, unplug the PU cable and wait for a few seconds.
The useful one > When you are booting up your PSVR, make sure it is on a flat surface, leave it there for maybe 30 seconds before picking it up. Do not keep restarting your PSVR, if you are facing wobbly issue again, take it off, leave it on a flat surface for another 30 seconds. The reason of this happening is because during the bootup of PSVR, the gyro is calibrating, so leaving it on a flat surface will help a lot.

Mount your camera on an adustable stand (like a mic stand) Set it at head level. Stand or sit no more than six feet away from the camera. Note that your camera does not need to be on top of your TV, it just needs to be in front of an open place where you can sit or stand.

This took care of all my wobbling / tracking issues.

Thanks but these didnt work. I was told by so many people that this is a limitation of the hardware when I had bought it, but wonder if mine is faulty or something. Guess I will have to skip this one as it wont play well :(

Played a little bit of the game earlier with the aim controller and it is a ton of fun. It's an incredible experience ducking and dodging all of these cool aliens. Glad I picked this up

xillyriax

Thanks but these didnt work. I was told by so many people that this is a limitation of the hardware when I had bought it, but wonder if mine is faulty or something. Guess I will have to skip this one as it wont play well :(
Make sure there is nothing reflective behind you. The camera might be picking the blue light's reflection.

Shoeless

Is this true? None of the reviews I have seen so far mention teleporting??!

Now I have to apologize, I guess I misread this somewhere, because now that I'm playing the game, I don't see any options for teleporting. All movement is through the right analog stick that's fixed to the back of the Aim controller, but it's the degree of turning or not that controls the comfort settings for the game. You can either not turn at all, turn by degrees, or do smooth turning.

Shoeless

Played a little bit of the game earlier with the aim controller and it is a ton of fun. It's an incredible experience ducking and dodging all of these cool aliens. Glad I picked this up

I would say at this point if you like VR, and you like shooters, the Farpoint/Aim combo is totally worth it. Length aside, the game feels like a competent AAA shooter experience, and the graphics for it are up there with Here They Lie and Robinson: The Journey, though I'm playing on a Pro, so I'm not sure how sharp this game will look on a vanilla PS4.

I've usually been fortunate enough to not have any major controller detection issues, and so far my luck is holding out. The Aim is pretty much 1:1 in terms of tracking and hasn't lost me yet, but being able to just raise the gun to fire with iron sights, or sling your gun over your shoulder to change to another weapon feels very cool.

I think other posters here are right, there's stuff that Farpoint is doing that's probably going to become part of the standard interface "vocabulary" for VR shooters in the future. Feels like a very different experience when you combine the immersion of VR with just having a gun to actually swing around in real life.

Birbo

Ugh, really on the fence with this one. Would love to experience a VR FPS, but don't want another accessory collecting dust after the initial 6 hour experience is over. (I Know there are other games that support it coming out, but still).

Ugh, really on the fence with this one. Would love to experience a VR FPS, but don't want another accessory collecting dust after the initial 6 hour experience is over. (I Know there are other games that support it coming out, but still).

I probably won't bother with the accessory. I think I will grab this game at some point though.

Z3M0G

A cool VR feature this game has (the first time I've seen this in PSVR) is that if you hold down OPTIONS, not only does it recenter your position but it will display the location of the PS Camera relative to you and also draw the camera's field of view around you. A very cool feature that other games should consider adopting. It's almost like having a chaperone system.
Holy shit awesome. Yes all games should do this!

Why do multiple games not even have calibrate working properly?

Fisty

Just picked up my bundle from Best Buy, now to sell off my disc at Gamestop on the way home to recoup some of the cost on the digital version...

Top Bottom