• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

MattAces

My review will be online on Thursday I think, but I warn you: it's gonna be in Italian, as I write for IGN Italy.
That said, the game to me is super solid all around, and just so much fun to play. Seriously, a stunning VR game that, despite some shortcomings, doesn't feel like a demo. At all.
And the Aim Controller is killer, just so much better than the shell of plastic I was frankly expecting.
They really, really nailed it IMHO, as it adds so much to the experience (and it's also impressive in how it messes with your perception, as using a shotgun and a sniper rifle truly feels different... even if of course you're always holding the same object in real life).

I respect each opinion, but in my personal experience this game is seriously one of those things that truly make you go "HOLY SHIT" when putting PSVR on.
And I would pay tons of money for something pretty much identical, but based on the Aliens franchise.
Glad to hear that, I don't have any realistic expectation on Farpoint itself, if the shooting is good, that is the most important aspect for me, then it is a great game for me. Well, I'm also happy with shooting those target practice in VR World Heist because of how solid it is.

Also my bundle got delayed to Saturday, yep.

WITHE1982

Glad to hear that, I don't have any realistic expectation on Farpoint itself, if the shooting is good, that is the most important aspect for me, then it is a great game for me. Well, I'm also happy with shooting those target practice in VR World Heist because of how solid it is.

Also my bundle got delayed to Saturday, yep.

Teblbv8.gif

Gutted for you mate.

My pre-order is still pending from Amazon but I ordered it 3 weeks ago so I should be fine (fingers crossed.)

I'm pretty confident, given the impressions so far that I'll be having a real blast with Farpoint and my Aim once they arrive. It'll tide me over until Arizona Sunshine drops anyway.

valeu

game is excellent, very immersive. i'm playing seated with a DS4. you can hold up the controller and look down the sight, pretty cool. gunplay has a good feel, this is my VR first person starship troopers fantasy game. will it take the crown from re7 as best psvr game? not by a mile. but farpoint was made by 15 people and re7 by hundreds at capcom. imagine if capcom made farpoint. farpoint shows that this kind of game can be done well. hopefully, we'll get call of duty's story mode or battlefield in VR

Hey guys, my video review is live here with a ton of impressions and lots of PS4 Pro gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6X6jjzudfY

Also, you can check out my written review here:

Farpoint leans on novelty to make up for its shortcomings elsewhere, but wielding the PlayStation VR Aim Controller is such a unique experience that it papers over some dated game design. The story is cheesy but has some nice moments, and the action really ramps up towards the tail of the campaign. With an arcade mode and co-op included, Impulse Gear’s inaugural outing is a fulfilling offering, and while there are obvious improvements that could be made, there’s enough here to prove that blockbuster first-person shooters could find a home on PlayStation VR yet.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/farpoint

Like I say in the review, the game design is pretty dated, but the novelty of the Aim Controller and PS VR paper over that. I'd love to see a sequel that takes the core gameplay and fleshes the whole idea out.

If you love VR, though, I think you're going to enjoy this.

MattAces

Hey guys, my video review is live here with a ton of impressions and lots of PS4 Pro gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6X6jjzudfY

Like I say in the review, the game design is pretty dated, but the novelty of the Aim Controller and PS VR paper over that. I'd love to see a sequel that takes the core gameplay and fleshes the whole idea out.

Thanks "Sammy From Pushsquare", big fan of your VR coverage, always watches your PSVR video.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10

With Farpoint, Impulse Gear set out to achieve a goal: to create a traditional first person shooter that works in virtual reality. In that respect, the game is a major success. Although not as fully-featured as its non-VR contemporaries, it captures those essential elements and makes them work in a space that doesn’t require overt tracks of handrails. The joy of cranking headshots and feeling like a real-life space marine is a novelty, but one that will eventually wear off. When it does, Farpoint becomes less remarkable, though its immersive Aim controller gunplay definitely gives it the edge over every other shooter currently available for PlayStation VR.

Planet

My bundle is sent out and will be delivered tomorrow. But I will not unpack it before Friday, because reasons. Read several reviews, including yours, sammyb, and am pretty sure it is what I want it to be. Sure, could have been even better if the game was less basic, but it very probably won't disappoint me. You can only do so much with a small team, and I appreciate what they achieved.

So I just ordered this for in store pickup. Read a review and am convinced this is for me.

Also, it will give me something to play while I wait for the Xbox one version of Prey to get patched, since I'm stuck with a game breaking bug at the moment :(.

jrush64

Banned

How is the movement. Does it work like Resident Evil 7/ COD. Free movement?

Crash331

Teblbv8.gif

Gutted for you mate.

My pre-order is still pending from Amazon but I ordered it 3 weeks ago so I should be fine (fingers crossed.)

I'm pretty confident, given the impressions so far that I'll be having a real blast with Farpoint and my Aim once they arrive. It'll tide me over until Arizona Sunshine drops anyway.

Everyone needs to boycott Amazon Prime release day delivery. This is about the 5th one they have bungled that I know of. Best Buy has been great for me, haven't missed a date yet.

valeu

How is the movement. Does it work like Resident Evil 7/ COD. Free movement?
you can move in any direction but the level always unfolds in front of you. you never need to turn around and go back where you came from. if you pass the fast spider enemies they will run in front of you.

Crash331

you can move in any direction but the level always unfolds in front of you. you never need to turn around and go back where you came from. if you pass the fast spider enemies they will run in front of you.

Any comfort options like in RE7 with the skip-turning instead of smooth turning and the cage in front of your face?

Rainer70

Man I really feel like impulse buying this bundle today. Rewatching the Always Sunny episode PTSDee this morning kinda cemented that I wanna feel like Mac and Frank holding the Aim.

Thorrgal

So reading the reviews all felt more positive than the final score to me. Things like "must have for PSVR owners!! Final Score: 7"

Wtf, if it's a must have is at least a 9 in my book!! I mean, its not like you can get the game as a non-VR owner...

So reading the reviews all felt more positive than the final score to me. Things like "must have for PSVR owners!! Final Score: 7"

Wtf, if it's a must have is at least a 9 in my book!! I mean, its not like you can get the game as a non-VR owner...

There aren't many "9" VR only games if you think about it there are only 8's VR only or 9's VR compatible ones. 7's usually mean they are good.

I debating with myself about whether I want to go ahead and just pick up the game, or go ahead and pick up the bundle (if my local GS has a bundle). Seems like the game is better with the AIM, but I have a feeling that it's something that won't get that much use at the end of the day.

grendelrt

I debating with myself about whether I want to go ahead and just pick up the game, or go ahead and pick up the bundle (if my local GS has a bundle). Seems like the game is better with the AIM, but I have a feeling that it's something that won't get that much use at the end of the day.

If its as big as a jump as reviewers have stated, I think it will be the standard for gun games on the PSVR. There are already 5 other games going to use it.

MattAces

There aren't many "9" VR only games if you think about it there are only 8's VR only or 9's VR compatible ones. 7's usually mean they are good.

If you think about it even harder, there's rarely a freaking review for VR games. RE7 gets reviewed because it's a 2D game. Look at Arizona Sunshine, only reviewed by VR sites.

Also glad to see whoever got it is very satisfied and happy with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYGGLTMj7w
PlayStation VR Aim Controller | Key Features | PlayStation VR

Thorrgal

Yeah, I mean my point is that mb there should be...VR games shouldn't be on the same score scale as non VR ones imo

Freeman76

When playing games like Darknet, Tumble VR etc I experience a lot of wobble, with the image moving up and down at times, and the tracking on the controller occasionally gets stuck for a second. I guess my setup means I should avoid this as I suspect the aim controller will behave in the same way?

ckohler

A cool VR feature this game has (the first time I've seen this in PSVR) is that if you hold down OPTIONS, not only does it recenter your position but it will display the location of the PS Camera relative to you and also draw the camera's field of view around you. A very cool feature that other games should consider adopting. It's almost like having a chaperone system.

MattAces

When playing games like Darknet, Tumble VR etc I experience a lot of wobble, with the image moving up and down at times, and the tracking on the controller occasionally gets stuck for a second. I guess my setup means I should avoid this as I suspect the aim controller will behave in the same way?

Here's a few things that helped me with wobbly problems. Reboot PS4, unplug the PU cable and wait for a few seconds.
The useful one > When you are booting up your PSVR, make sure it is on a flat surface, leave it there for maybe 30 seconds before picking it up. Do not keep restarting your PSVR, if you are facing wobbly issue again, take it off, leave it on a flat surface for another 30 seconds. The reason of this happening is because during the bootup of PSVR, the gyro is calibrating, so leaving it on a flat surface will help a lot.

cakely

Mount your camera on an adustable stand (like a mic stand) Set it at head level. Stand or sit no more than six feet away from the camera. Note that your camera does not need to be on top of your TV, it just needs to be in front of an open place where you can sit or stand.

This took care of all my wobbling / tracking issues.

panda-zebra

Reviews are looking as good as I hoped. Ordered with Tesco, they don't usually let me down. This & Polybius in the space of a week are the perfect excuses to get the PSVR set up again... just praying I don't get hopelessly addicted again!

nikos

The bundle was available for in-store pickup at Best Buy this morning, so I ordered it. Looking forward to playing tonight!

D23

Can't wait to play this tonight. Gonna take my time with the singe player and hope on co op session this weekend. Hoping to play with some of you.

Freeman76

A. It is a budget-priced ($49) game
B. It is a 5 to 6 hour adventure.
C. If you are so negative on the game, why bother posting other than to get reactions (
which you did from me.. DAMN IT!!!! :p
)

Calling it budget priced is a fucking stretch......

Freeman76

Here's a few things that helped me with wobbly problems. Reboot PS4, unplug the PU cable and wait for a few seconds.
The useful one > When you are booting up your PSVR, make sure it is on a flat surface, leave it there for maybe 30 seconds before picking it up. Do not keep restarting your PSVR, if you are facing wobbly issue again, take it off, leave it on a flat surface for another 30 seconds. The reason of this happening is because during the bootup of PSVR, the gyro is calibrating, so leaving it on a flat surface will help a lot.

Mount your camera on an adustable stand (like a mic stand) Set it at head level. Stand or sit no more than six feet away from the camera. Note that your camera does not need to be on top of your TV, it just needs to be in front of an open place where you can sit or stand.

Thanks guys I will try these tips, it is pretty annoying to say the least.

Calling it budget priced is a fucking stretch......

Ok... how about it is not a "FULL-priced" $60 game.
Does that make it a budget title?
There are certainly many, many games that come to mind that are $60 and have a equivalent (or less) length single player story.

Another solution that can be cheaper and more versatile dependent upon your home setup that many not might have considered is a double C clamp. There are other types such as flashlight bike clamps but the double C is the most versatile as you can just clip it onto what you like and easily moved anywhere.

Planet

In fact, in Europe it is even higher priced than regular Sony published AAA titles, which are normally at €60, while third party AAA games often are listed as €70. Farpoint is €70 here, so it's far from being a budget title.

Those prices include tax, though, and the sales tax is quite high here (19%), so keep that in mind for comparisons. And then there is much more leeway for street price offers, which means if you look around with a bit of patience and compare prices you can almost always pay €55 to €60 for games even within the first release week.

I figure the bundle will be sold cheaper soon, as well, but it sure is at a premium with €100 right now. If you are looking to maximize your bang for the buck (no pun intended), Farpoint + Aim is not (yet) for you.

Krakn3Dfx

Everyone needs to boycott Amazon Prime release day delivery. This is about the 5th one they have bungled that I know of. Best Buy has been great for me, haven't missed a date yet.

I've had Best Buy straight up cancel pre-orders that I've placed for game CEs because they oversold available stock. No system is 100%, but I've had pretty good luck with Amazon, and they'll generally reimburse you really well for your time/loss if you contact them directly.

iratA

Yeah thanks for your continued coverage, I like the depth and thought put into your VR reviews. You're now actually one of my go to people for VR reviews outside of the dedicated VR media outlets. Having recently tried Starblood Arena, I now agree with almost all the points you raised about it. Sad really, because I was hoping for more from that one as well. This sounds much better all round and immersion sounds good. Will still pick up my Farpoint bundle.

Hope you'll review Dick Wilde, Arizona Sunshine and others that will use the AIM Controller. :) Keep up the good work.

I just got an email from Amazon with a download code for something because I ordered Farpoint. Any idea what it is? I'm at work so I can't check. I'm assuming a theme or something?

Top Bottom