• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Raggie

I know a lot of people are down on the art style, but I love it. IMO it suits the off-the-wall Shadowrun universe very well.

Cyberpunk as a genre tends to take it very, very seriously, which easily translates into being a tad unintentionally silly. It also very often becomes overwhelmingly grimdark, which can get somewhat overbearing in longer stretches. I like how Shadowrun Returns seems to have a bit of a lighter fun feeling to it.

Lime

I really hope the community makes some great experiences and campaigns.

I also hope that my $125 backer package isn't claimed by customs

Labadal

Of all the kickstarter projects I have backed, this was the one I was most sceptical about. Some decisions they made has made me even more sceptical but, I didn't cancel my pledge. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Miletius

My key is in my inbox and I'm excited. This is the first project I backed that is being released. I want to dive right into the editor and make something awesome.

I didn't realize there is as much character customization as there seems to be. I thought there would be a few character portraits and that's it. Very interesting...

ranmafan

It's great that we are so close to its release. I have high hopes for it and can't wait to get my hands on the game next week. With that and the Japanese Dragons Crown release the same day, I'm going to have a nice Thursday to enjoy some gaming!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
While I got a refund for my $250 Kickstarter pledge due to the broken promises made in bad faith re: DRM and Berlin et al, I'll keep an eye on how things play out and might pick it up at release.

Skerj

So hyped with this and Mercenary Kings in the same week; coupled with trying to sort through everything I bought during the Steam summer sale. Glued to PC confirmed.

SerRodrik

It feels weird that this is so close to release. All of the Kickstarter games I've backed feel so nebulous and far off, it's a little surreal to actually see it sitting in my list of Steam games waiting to be installed.

garath

It feels weird that this is so close to release. All of the Kickstarter games I've backed feel so nebulous and far off, it's a little surreal to actually see it sitting in my list of Steam games waiting to be installed.

That's always been my problem with the Kickstarters is the games are so far out. Divinity was a nice back because it's planned for this year.

Star Citizen is the only one I've backed that I know isn't coming any time soon. I just couldn't help myself.

As far as Shadowrun, I didn't back but I did pre-order after seeing some gameplay footage from the developers a few months ago. I'm going to get my $18 worth.

Sothpaw

Haven't been this hyped for a game in a long time. Of course the last time I was hyped for a game was Diablo 3 and that turned out to be console trash.

Anyway, party based PC tactical wrpgs are my thing. So this game is purchased and ready to download.

I am thinking of rolling a dwarf decker for my first character. Thing is, I am a D&D guy and have no experience with Shadowrun. Is a decker useful in combat? Can they do anything special besides hack terminals? Normally I answer all these questions myself with google but info on this game is sparce at the moment.

Dipswitch

I kickstarted this purely based on playing half of the SNES game back in the day. I have sod all knowledge of the IP, etc, beyond that. I rather liked what I'd played of the SNES game though, so hopefully I get the same vibe from this.

My expectations for this game were lowered after a few of their announcements (DRM, no loot etc). I don't expect the game to be very long, either but hopefully the community can come up with some decent campaign. I only pledged 30 to the game so even if its just alright I won't feel too burned.

adj_noun

Haven't been this hyped for a game in a long time. Of course the last time I was hyped for a game was Diablo 3 and that turned out to be console trash.

Anyway, party based PC tactical wrpgs are my thing. So this game is purchased and ready to download.

I am thinking of rolling a dwarf decker for my first character. Thing is, I am a D&D guy and have no experience with Shadowrun. Is a decker useful in combat? Can they do anything special besides hack terminals? Normally I answer all these questions myself with google but info on this game is sparce at the moment.

This is the best font of info re: deckers I'm aware of at the moment. This stuff is very recent; they delayed the game a month to put it in.

They probably won't initially be as good at straight up combat as, say, Street Samurai, but you could probably level a decker to be able to hold its own.

My expectations for this game were lowered after a few of their announcements (DRM, no loot etc). I don't expect the game to be very long, either but hopefully the community can come up with some decent campaign. I only pledged 30 to the game so even if its just alright I won't feel too burned.

Regarding loot, I've been watching videos of campaigns made by backers who got early access to the editor, and it definitely looks like both cash and items can be awarded upon defeating an enemy--it's just placed directly in your inventory instead of picked up, Diablo-style.

I decided to pre-order this game for the last Steam checkout. So... as a "not-quite-experienced" western-styled and "experienced" eastern-styled RPG gamer in the most general sense, what can I expect, in terms of both story and gameplay?

Watashiwa

Holy crap, is the inside as mauled as that cover?

Huh, I don't know. Like I said, it's normal for Western RPG books to get an manga makeover in Japan, so I imagine that all the artwork looks like that, but the mechanics and setting should be unchanged.

While I got a refund for my $250 Kickstarter pledge due to the broken promises made in bad faith re: DRM and Berlin et al, I'll keep an eye on how things play out and might pick it up at release.

As much as I get being upset over the second campaign situation, I don't think you can call it a broken promise made in bad faith. They're going to release a Shadowrun campaign set in Berlin, exactly like they said they would, just later than "at release".
Also, I voted the expanded Seattle, so I can't help but feel amused at people getting so upset over this.

Vlodril

Huh, I don't know. Like I said, it's normal for Western RPG books to get an manga makeover in Japan, so I imagine that all the artwork looks like that, but the mechanics and setting should be unchanged.

As much as I get being upset over the second campaign situation, I don't think you can call it a broken promise made in bad faith. They're going to release a Shadowrun campaign set in Berlin, exactly like they said they would, just later than "at release".
Also, I voted the expanded Seattle, so I can't help but feel amused at people getting so upset over this.

Yes you can. The stretch goal clearly implied if not outright said its going to add the berlin into the campaign not make two separate ones.

I hope the game turns out good i am pretty sure i will enjoy it but they did fuck up badly with the stretch goal and the drm thing there is no denying it.

Great OP. I was going to create the OT, but there's no way I would've done as good a job.

In any case, the game looks amazing, and it's exactly what I expected when I backed it last year.

Yes you can. The stretch goal clearly implied if not outright said its going to add the berlin into the campaign not make two separate ones.

I hope the game turns out good i am pretty sure i will enjoy it but they did fuck up badly with the stretch goal and the drm thing there is no denying it.

I really do think the Berlin/DRM backlash has muddied the waters, making people skeptical about the quality of the game for some reason. HBS grossly mishandled that situation, without a doubt, but they are 2-for-2 in their short development history, and Shadowrun is Jordan's baby.

So, I've seen no reason to doubt the quality of the game will be excellent, even if their messaging was almost Microsoft-level boneheaded.

Watashiwa

The thing about implications is that they're all in your head. All HBS did was choose not to correct the general misassumption, likely because they didn't yet know what they'd do with the second city. They never once said that you'd get a campaign that takes place in Seattle and goes to Berlin. We said that, and it's our own fault for letting hype cloud our mind.

Also wait, what DRM. The game doesn't have any if you download through their site, and has Steam if you choose not to.

Regarding loot, I've been watching videos of campaigns made by backers who got early access to the editor, and it definitely looks like both cash and items can be awarded upon defeating an enemy--it's just placed directly in your inventory instead of picked up, Diablo-style.
Okay after watching that I feel so much better about the game we're going to get. Even if the main campaign sucks the fan made ones will most definitely rock.

Gbraga

Never played Shadowrun before but preordered anyway just because I'm a big Cyberpunk fan, can't wait to see what I'm in for.

Top Bottom