• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

And their site remains broken for (some?) IPv6 users. They sell almost no games to my Finnish IPv6 address and the site simply looks broken because they've hidden so much content from me. Well hey no problem, it's only been broken for (at least) more than a year and their solution was to just wait a bit more.

Then again why do I use IPv6? Because Rainbow Six Siege doesn't start/connect if I use regular IPv4. It worked in beta just fine but they changed something on release.

Works for me (DNA).

ovrwx.gif

Happy birthday!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure I understand that rule, there are probably a 100 games that boot with uplay as well as several GFWL ones? Those too are storefronts in which you then can buy further things without giving valve money

The Uplay client doesn't have the store when launched with the -uplay_steam_mode argument, and GFWL titles just have an in-game overlay, similar to how Social Club is integrated into the Steam version of GTA5.

Standard Uplay:
uplaystandard0esar.jpg

Uplay in "Steam Mode":
uplaysteam0tsj2.jpg

Edit: There once was a Shop tab in Steam Mode, but it was tied to Ubi's presence on Steam rather than the UbiShop, which may be what you were thinking of.

MUnited83

For you.
There's some indie dev drama happening on Steam. Ironically enough, the developer of a game called Social Interaction Trainer is currently having a meltdown, is fighting with Steam users/customers and is going to remove his game from Steam.

The comment section of his announcement gives some context as to what is happening or you can check Twitter where he shared emails with Valve describing his issue.

The TLDR version is this;

- Developer uploads a build of his game which has a Patreon link in it. Having links to external "stores" is against the Valve TOS so they reject it.
- Developer flips out and calls Valve a "predatory rentier capitalist organization" when they reach out to explain the rejection. Threatens to remove his games from Steam as a response.
- Valve refuses to change their policy.
- Developer announces on the Steam page that the game will be removed from Steam.
- Users request him to give one last discount to match the Summer sale discount before removing the game. The game originally cost $5.
- The developer says he is not interested in steamcucks who just want to buy the game for the sake of buying it and increases the price to $200. He says you can buy it from itch.io instead.

Some users in those comments are also talking about some achievement he added/removed from the game that required people to pay or some shit like that. I don't understand what that means and not interested enough to find out.
Regarding the achievements: he had an achievement he was literally selling to people in a auction that required you to give him the money immediately. If you didn't win the auction he would give back your money (lmao)

Regarding the achievements: he had an achievement he was literally selling to people in a auction that required you to give him the money immediately. If you didn't win the auction he would give back your money (lmao)

Wonder what fit he would throw if someone used SAM to unlock that achievement.

Annubis

If I recall correctly, there are ways of making achievements impossible (even with SAM), although it wouldn't work in this case since it's made to work correctly (for one person).

Wok

If you have the time, try the hidden demo of Wartile using this command in your browser:
Code:
steam://install/445180

It is an expensive Early-Access tabletop game, recreating the atmosphere of playing with little figurines as a kid. Strategy-wise, it is bare-bone, but it is quite nice visually.

Aaron D.

Don't expect a whole lot of traction here on Steam 'Gaf, but for the few who are into the niche Mundane Vehicle Simulation genre, CMS18 is due out on Friday. (Oh hells yeah!)

There was an appreciable jump in presentation & gameplay complexity between CMS14 & CMS15, so I'm feeling optimistic about CMS18 since there's been a couple years between releases.

If you're a fan of the MVS genre, you're conditioned to put up with a lot of jank, what with the tiny dev teams & budgets, etc. There's very few genre titles that I'd wholeheartedly recommend to MVS noobs. But Car Mechanic Simulator is easily one of them. Really fun series with above average presentation.

Can't wait for Friday!

Rizzi

If you have the time, try the hidden demo of Wartile using this command in your browser:
Code:

It is an expensive Early-Access tabletop game, recreating the atmosphere of playing with little figurines as a kid. Strategy-wise, it is bare-bone, but it is quite nice visually.

That looks pretty cool.

Wok

Not working in any browser for I =S

If Steam is running in the background, the following window should pop up:

yBWhGzC.png

However, I have noticed a few hidden demos were not available, e.g. the demo of Life Goes On does not work for me, maybe the demo of Wartile is banned in your region somehow.

Code:

I love strategy games, but I'm terrible at them, so being bare-bones is good for me. I'll try It, thanks!

So my Steam Activity page has been bugging out for a while, know. It seems like it consolidates all of my activity date from the last month and displays the entirety of it every day. Like so:

I bought all of those games during the Summer Sale, not even in the same day, and it's physically impossible for me to get all those achievement in one day.

Once in a while, it actually displays my activities accurately. I did get my first Xanadu Next achievement yesterday:

For most of the other dates, however, it just displays the same consolidated data over and over:

Is anybody else experiencing this? What might possibly be the problem? It behaves the same way whether I'm using the browser or the client, and even when I change computer.

zkylon

zkylewd
Most of the creativity and customization comes from the bullet editor... which I never used beyond the basics because its intimidating as hell :p. But you can make some wild stuff with it.
Can't say I ever had issues with the camera, but I've been playing it with KBM+Mouse, which works perfectly (I'm recommending at least 1 side button for the mouse tho, where you should put dash/guard). I just can't play games that require aiming with a controller, even though the aiming in GE isn't that precise to begin with.

I would also say that the story gets more interesting in the second and third arcs, as do the enemies :)

And I'd also advise not to conflate God Eater and Monster Hunter. While they're both 'monster hunting' games, they have vastly different priorities and feel to them.

ye like you said, it's super intimidating and shooting feels really lame compared to giant swords so i figured that'd be a task for the npcs, but maybe i'll look into it

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There's some indie dev drama happening on Steam. Ironically enough, the developer of a game called Social Interaction Trainer is currently having a meltdown, is fighting with Steam users/customers and is going to remove his game from Steam.

The comment section of his announcement gives some context as to what is happening or you can check Twitter where he shared emails with Valve describing his issue.

- Developer uploads a build of his game which has a Patreon link in it. Having links to external "stores" is against the Valve TOS so they reject it.
- Developer flips out and calls Valve a "predatory rentier capitalist organization" when they reach out to explain the rejection. Threatens to remove his games from Steam as a response.
- Developer announces on the Steam page that the game will be removed from Steam.
- Users request him to give one last discount to match the Summer sale discount before removing the game. The game originally cost $5.
- The developer says he is not interested in steamcucks who just want to buy the game for the sake of buying it and increases the price to $200. He says you can buy it from itch.io instead.

Some users in those comments are also talking about some achievement he added/removed from the game that required people to pay or some shit like that. I don't understand what that means and not interested enough to find out.

This pushes the needle so far that I'm actually legitimately impressed.

JaseC

So my Steam Activity page has been bugging out for a while, know. It seems like it consolidates all of my activity date from the last month and displays the entirety of it every day. Like so:

I bought all of those games during the Summer Sale, not even in the same day, and it's physically impossible for me to get all those achievement in one day.

Once in a while, it actually displays my activities accurately. I did get my first Xanadu Next achievement yesterday:

For most of the other dates, however, it just displays the same consolidated data over and over:

Is anybody else experiencing this? What might possibly be the problem? It behaves the same way whether I'm using the browser or the client, and even when I change computer.

I had the same problem during the Summer Sale. There were a few comments I couldn't read as the bunching up of activity broke the timestamp redirect (it's supposed to take you to the activity item as seen by the commenter).

Damn, Stellaris is so disappointing game. Seriously, this is the first Paradox game that so frustrating and chaotic for me. I conquered all nearby civilizations but now I'm stuck because Awakened Empire conquered half of galaxy and they have x5-10 more fleets just because fuck you. Now I'm just sitting in my corner of galaxy and just waiting while my scientists research another "armor +5%" technology, hoping that Awakened Empire won't attack me and destroy me. Nothing left to do, i can't win because all Stellaris victory conditions requires conquering territories, and basically no other activities left.

There was so-called "crisis" when AI decided to rebel and kill all organics but i quickly destroyed their force - and after that synth started to terrorize my planets and blow up my spaceports. At first it was interesting, but this endless cycle of random destroyed buildings is absolute bullshit because it was going for 40 years and i wasn't able to prevent this, just sit and wait until suddenly pop up with "start working on synth scanners technology" appears. Why the fuck those idiots didn't started this research right when this terror begins? WHO THE FUCK DESIGNED THIS SHIT? At least i got one of the most rare achievement (0.25%) for this bullshit after all.

Diplomacy in Stellaris is terrible. There is very little you can do on diplomatic field, opinion modifiers doesn't make any sense, i was "friend" with some civs but they still "disliked" me when i tried offer to join my federation. You can't try to reason Awekaned Empire because there is literally no diplomatic options for them except declare war (basically commit suicide and game over), offer tribute (basically commit suicide and game over) and trade (which is basically "offer gift" because they don't want to give you anything, even 1 energy). Again, WHO THE FUCK DESIGNED THIS SHIT? Seriously, it's been 1 year since release, several DLCs, but diplomacy is still so bare and useless? This is so bad i still can't believe this is Paradox game.

Oh, and last one, automatic fleets upgrades. Several times after upgrading my ships to current technologies my fleet power was DECREASING. Basically, manage all upgrades manually or pray for AI not being idiot and choose right parts for upgrading next time. I know that a lot space strategies have same problem, but it's still huge disappointment to see such regular problem for genre.

I had the same problem during the Summer Sale. There were a few comments I couldn't read as the bunching up of activity broke the timestamp redirect (it's supposed to take you to the activity item as seen by the commenter).

Aa, alright. So I should just wait it out and hopefully it would resolve itself?

Ascheroth

ye like you said, it's super intimidating and shooting feels really lame compared to giant swords so i figured that'd be a task for the npcs, but maybe i'll look into it
You should definitely switch between guns and sword, and also make sure to always keep your Burst Level up. Guns do a lot of damage and using all your options makes fights quite a bit shorter.
I was running a Buster Sword/Sniper combi for basically the entire game, which only slightly modified Sniper bullets, but even those were pretty effective already. Basically I put a short-range extra shot on impact, which I think gave me 50% more damage for 20% higher costs, or something like that.
My combat loop was basically: start with devouring, unload all my OP on the enemy, close in for melee damage while waiting for the OP to recover, devour when necessary so that I never leave Burst mode, unload all my OP on the enemy when they're recovered, etc.

Hektor

DE8pQpyWAAAxZpv.jpg

I'm literally shaking right now

The Uplay client doesn't have the store when launched with the -uplay_steam_mode argument, and GFWL titles just have an in-game overlay, similar to how Social Club is integrated into the Steam version of GTA5.

Standard Uplay:
uplaystandard0esar.jpg

Uplay in "Steam Mode":
uplaysteam0tsj2.jpg

Edit: There once was a Shop tab in Steam Mode, but it was tied to Ubi's presence on Steam rather than the UbiShop, which may be what you were thinking of.

I take the L in that case, my memory must have betrayed me.

yuraya

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Monochroma is a pretty fun Limbo-like cinematic platformer, at least thus far.

Also, Pneuma: Breath of Life is surprisingly good outside of one particularly frustrating puzzle (the floor tiles in chapter 5). There's also a puzzle in chapter 6 that I was able to skip by abusing checkpoints. It's quite short, but worth playing if you enjoy first-person puzzlers and can get it for cheap.

dex3108

Surprisingly Mafia 3 is kinda ok stealth game with some of the great locations with multiple entrances and some of them are even hidden. I am managing to stealth and no kill almost every mission with tools i am given. But it is kinda hard to do that because popping heads with silenced pistol is so satisfying XD

JaseC

Aa, alright. So I should just wait it out and hopefully it would resolve itself?

Yeah, it's a backend thing. I don't actually know if I'm rid of the issue myself as the only recorded activity I've done recently is unlocking one achievement in GTA5 and adding one person to my friends list.

Backlogger

It was nice knowing you, though I do feel bad for game collectors that missed out on the original price.

Deques

Surprisingly Mafia 3 is kinda ok stealth game with some of the great locations with multiple entrances and some of them are even hidden. I am managing to stealth and no kill almost every mission with tools i am given. But it is kinda hard to do that because popping heads with silenced pistol is so satisfying XD
Wait, is Mafia 3 a stealth game?

dex3108

It kinda is. You have basic things like cover and cover takedowns (lethal and non-lethal), you can move cover to cover, you can whistle to attract enemies and you have screaming voodoo doll to distract enemies. And you have silenced weapons. So if you are patient enough you can go through mission without alerting anybody or kill anybody (except mandatory targets).

Jawmuncher

It kinda is. You have basic things like cover and cover takedowns (lethal and non-lethal), you can move cover to cover, you can whistle to attract enemies and you have screaming voodoo doll to distract enemies. And you have silenced weapons. So if you are patient enough you can go through mission without alerting anybody or kill anybody (except mandatory targets).

It has tools for stealth if you choose but it isn't really a stealth game like Hitman or MGSV. It's perfectly playable with full blown action as well. I need to get back to it, but I was playing panther style (Like in SC:BL) would sneak for as long as I could and then just destroy everyone with a rifle and shotgun.

The gameplay and story is ace. It's just a shame it's so repetitive.
Would've benefited from just aping Mafia's 2 style.

I wonder when we'll finally hear about Final Fantasy XV for PC.

I'm just as interested as to how it'll run on low-end systems as high-end ones.

yuraya

I wonder when we'll finally hear about Final Fantasy XV for PC.

I'm just as interested as to how it'll run on low-end systems as high-end ones.

Based on how Square does things with FF on PC..I would assume they stealth drop the game sometime in December with zero marketing. And the port will most likely be shit too. Don't expect any patches for a long time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom