• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

how accessible is PUBG? I'd like to get into a multiplayer game without feeling like I'm adding a second full-time job

You can be very successful and have very low (shooting) skill. For example, I somehow hit top 300 in win ranking, but am in the top 22,000 for ranking in kills at .70~ KDR. Game can be as equally rewarding to pure strategy than shooting finesse. Also most games will run 20~ minutes for the average person and with the player base there's very little down time in between matches for MM.

how accessible is PUBG? I'd like to get into a multiplayer game without feeling like I'm adding a second full-time job
It's pretty casual and easy to grasp. Jump onto an island, loot things, try to kill dudes or lay low. The learning curve isn't very steep.

ovrwx.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
hey happy birthday

pXA8wPD.png

moved forward a bit, i've started to just listen to podcasts and mostly ignore the story cos that shit is no good and i feel guilty for playing this instead of hollow knight, so i gotta at least optimize my god eater time and do some other thing too to make it worth it lol

it's weird, i don't find it boring but i also don't find it fulfilling enough to not feel guilty for playing it heh

i find these games kind of intriguing tho, they have so many moving parts it really makes me wonder how deep people can get to make clever builds and such. i actually feel really limited in my choices since most upgrades feel rather linear and there's such a surplus of money and materials i just build whatever i need for each mission. things like items haven't been very important so far and while i can memorize enemy patterns, whenever there's 2 or 3 the camera problems just make it really difficult to not just trade hits until they're dead

it's a weird game for sure, i've been intrigued by monster hunter for a long while and it's cool to finally get a taste of it after all these years. i kind of wish it was different but i also get why people get so hooked to it

edit: also i wonder if the OUTRAGEOUS boob physics were a performance issue during development lol

Ascheroth

hey happy birthday

moved forward a bit, i've started to just listen to podcasts and mostly ignore the story cos that shit is no good and i feel guilty for playing this instead of hollow knight, so i gotta at least optimize my god eater time and do some other thing too to make it worth it lol

it's weird, i don't find it boring but i also don't find it fulfilling enough to not feel guilty for playing it heh

i find these games kind of intriguing tho, they have so many moving parts it really makes me wonder how deep people can get to make clever builds and such. i actually feel really limited in my choices since most upgrades feel rather linear and there's such a surplus of money and materials i just build whatever i need for each mission. things like items haven't been very important so far and while i can memorize enemy patterns, whenever there's 2 or 3 the camera problems just make it really difficult to not just trade hits until they're dead

it's a weird game for sure, i've been intrigued by monster hunter for a long while and it's cool to finally get a taste of it after all these years. i kind of wish it was different but i also get why people get so hooked to it

edit: also i wonder if the OUTRAGEOUS boob physics were a performance issue during development lol
Most of the creativity and customization comes from the bullet editor... which I never used beyond the basics because its intimidating as hell :p. But you can make some wild stuff with it.
Can't say I ever had issues with the camera, but I've been playing it with KBM+Mouse, which works perfectly (I'm recommending at least 1 side button for the mouse tho, where you should put dash/guard). I just can't play games that require aiming with a controller, even though the aiming in GE isn't that precise to begin with.

I would also say that the story gets more interesting in the second and third arcs, as do the enemies :)

And I'd also advise not to conflate God Eater and Monster Hunter. While they're both 'monster hunting' games, they have vastly different priorities and feel to them.

kagamin

The best bullets in early game are HDH if you know how to make them, it's pretty indepth and a lot of fun messing around with the editor.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh damn Sundered is out soon, that came out of nowhere.

Monooboe

I hope the client update has a way to easily find good games that one owns but might have overlooked. Kind of like Woks hidden gem thingie but only for ones library.

Happy birthday Chairmanchuck!

Deques

I hope the client update has a way to easily find good games that one owns but might have overlooked. Kind of like Woks hidden gem thingie but only for ones library.

Happy birthday Chairmanchuck!
Hopefully it will have a much better library management, and that it is easier to find what game to play

Arthea

Anybody knows what's up with Reversion - The Escape (1st Chapter)? I bought it, it shows on the store as owned too, but it's not in my library, and no I didn't hide or removed it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought it before it was free, so why I'm stuck with this, and I can't even dl it, inspite of owning it!

any way to fix this?

It didn't go from free to paid and then back to free. It was free from release until the end of last January.

Edit: You can download the game by clicking the "Play Now" button on the store page (or just here).

Arthea

It didn't go from free to paid and then back to free. It was free from release until the end of last January.

Edit: You can download the game by clicking the "Play Now" button on the store page (or just here).

no, I literally bought it before it was free (on indiegamestand), it wasn't released on steam yet then, but I got the steam key for it and all, I mean I did pay for it.

Thanks, that link worked

JaseC

no, I literally bought it before it was free (on indiegamestand), it wasn't released on steam yet then, but I got the steam key for it and all, I mean I did pay for it.

Thanks, that link worked

If you look at your list of licences, I think you'll find that your key activated the FoD sub. The dev gave me a key tied to the original store/key sub and the game is displayed in my library when uninstalled.

If you want the game to behave normally and still have your purchase receipt, you could try asking 3F for a replacement key. That or, if you're feeling charitable, do what I mentioned before (it's only 99c or your regional equivalent).

Arthea

If you look at your list of licences, I think you'll find that your key activated the FoD sub. The dev gave me a key tied to the original store/key sub and the game is displayed in my library when uninstalled.

If you want the game to behave normally and still have your purchase receipt, you could try asking 3F for a replacement key. That or, if you're feeling charitable, do what I mentioned before (it's only 99c or your regional equivalent).

I think I'm good, I'd just play it and uninstall again, not that I need it in my library, I was just shocked it is not there.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Flower Design -- MB-FC117F3FA7301876 - Taken by MaxiLive
Legend of Miro -- MB-F0F9AF055A4BC651 - Taken by bobnowhere
Missileman Origins -- MB-65927866DE5A900F - Taken by Dangerblade
Robot Pirates -- MB-429DED3312119579 - Taken by voodooray
So Long Earth -- MB-63546E0396DEFE61 - Taken by madjoki

Ascheroth

If Zwei was soon they probably would have announced it on the Stream, same for Ys SEVEN
Maybe a Cold Steel date this week if they plan to have it early August
What I would give for concrete dates in advance <.<
...I just want a date so that I can plan my time. I'm going to take a vacation during summer anyway, so might as well have it at the same time as Cold Steel. Gah.
Was planning on taking one at the end of the summer/beginning of August, but good thing I didn't finalize it yet. :/

Arent Zwei, Cold Steel and Ys7 releasing all in summer?

Sounds a bit.... bad. 3 Falcom games still in August/early september. Then in september Tokyo Xanadu.

There's some indie dev drama happening on Steam. Ironically enough, the developer of a game called Social Interaction Trainer is currently having a meltdown, is fighting with Steam users/customers and is going to remove his game from Steam.

The comment section of his announcement gives some context as to what is happening or you can check Twitter where he shared emails with Valve describing his issue.

The TLDR version is this;

- Developer uploads a build of his game which has a Patreon link in it. Having links to external "stores" is against the Valve TOS so they reject it.
- Developer flips out and calls Valve a "predatory rentier capitalist organization" when they reach out to explain the rejection. Threatens to remove his games from Steam as a response.
- Valve refuses to change their policy.
- Developer announces on the Steam page that the game will be removed from Steam.
- Users request him to give one last discount to match the Summer sale discount before removing the game. The game originally cost $5.
- The developer says he is not interested in steamcucks who just want to buy the game for the sake of buying it and increases the price to $200. He says you can buy it from itch.io instead.

Some users in those comments are also talking about some achievement he added/removed from the game that required people to pay or some shit like that. I don't understand what that means and not interested enough to find out.

Phinor

GMG does what Valve won't. Flash deals are back.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/

And their site remains broken for (some?) IPv6 users. They sell almost no games to my Finnish IPv6 address and the site simply looks broken because they've hidden so much content from me. Well hey no problem, it's only been broken for (at least) more than a year and their solution was to just wait a bit more.

Then again why do I use IPv6? Because Rainbow Six Siege doesn't start/connect if I use regular IPv4. It worked in beta just fine but they changed something on release.

Tonton

Sounds like a mess tbh.

Thats 5 Falcom games then in 2 months.

Just noticed you mentioned Tokyo Xanadu, it doesn't have a date yet actually where did you get September from?
Even current placeholders are November

It's kinda overkill and will probably end up with me just buying the Xseed ones and leaving the September ones for next summer sale or something.

And happy birthday.

Yeah I don't think I'm gonna have the money for all of these so I'll just get the XSEED ones and wait on Ys VIII

Maybe that was XSEED's plan all along? :eek:

Sarcasm

I'm not sure I understand that rule, there are probably a 100 games that boot with uplay as well as several GFWL ones? Those too are storefronts in which you then can buy further things without giving valve money

No there is a link in the game that will externally launch your browser to a website.

The issue is not with patreon but the act of opening your browser. They basically don't want to risk some dev leading people to phishing sites and whatnot.

duppolo

There's some indie dev drama happening on Steam. Ironically enough, the developer of a game called Social Interaction Trainer is currently having a meltdown, is fighting with Steam users/customers and is going to remove his game from Steam.

The comment section of his announcement gives some context as to what is happening or you can check Twitter where he shared emails with Valve describing his issue.

The TLDR version is this;

- Developer uploads a build of his game which has a Patreon link in it. Having links to external "stores" is against the Valve TOS so they reject it.
- Developer flips out and calls Valve a "predatory rentier capitalist organization" when they reach out to explain the rejection. Threatens to remove his games from Steam as a response.
- Valve refuses to change their policy.
- Developer announces on the Steam page that the game will be removed from Steam.
- Users request him to give one last discount to match the Summer sale discount before removing the game. The game originally cost $5.
- The developer says he is not interested in steamcucks who just want to buy the game for the sake of buying it and increases the price to $200. He says you can buy it from itch.io instead.

Some users in those comments are also talking about some achievement he added/removed from the game that required people to pay or some shit like that. I don't understand what that means and not interested enough to find out.

the irony is that the content of the game fit with this shit

Anybody knows what's up with Reversion - The Escape (1st Chapter)? I bought it, it shows on the store as owned too, but it's not in my library, and no I didn't hide or removed it.

If you follow my advice, you'd leave well enough alone. Reversion is a bad point-and-click.

Pixieking

Banned
No there is a link in the game that will externally launch your browser to a website.

The issue is not with patreon but the act of opening your browser. They basically don't want to risk some dev leading people to phishing sites and whatnot.

Which is a perfectly reasonable policy to have. Even if Valve maintained a Whitelist of acceptable sites, if any of those sites got hacked, they'd be responsible (morally, if not legally) for any Steam users who had their details stolen or malware placed on their computers. This is, like, literally Good Guy Valve protecting both consumers and themselves.

Happy birthday Chairmanchuck. :)

Hektor

Happy birthday chuck!

But there are several games that do that too, like Faeria or FFXIV

I feel like I've seen several games which have external links on their main menu. Doesn't Rocket League have links to their social media presence on the menu? And I think RimWorld had a direct link to their off-Steam forum as well.

The email posted on Twitter seems to imply that Valve specifically disallows links to other payment portals.

MUnited83

For you.

Fucking awesome. It's crazy that a boss rush mode hasn't been a official thing in the series yet.

This is false, however. Plenty of games already launch your browser to a website. It's really common. That's not the issue here.

JaseC

I feel like I've seen several games which have external links on their main menu. Doesn't Rocket League have links to their social media presence on the menu? And I think RimWorld had a direct link to their off-Steam forum as well.

The email posted on Twitter seems to imply that Valve specifically disallows links to other payment portals.

Yeah. The software distribution agreement categorically disallows linking to non-Steam payment facilities. I can understand his frustration, but he really should have read the document.

Wok

Amazing.

dsKWArL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom