• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Wow the Final Fantasy 6 PC port is really bad, much worse than I thought. People focus on the stupid looking sprites, but that's barely in the top 25 problems.

Resolution locked, blur filter, weird problems in scrolling sequences, weird scrolling on the main menu, you can't set options properly in config, background animations run too fast, NPC movement on maps is too fast, the font is ugly, the text boxes are ugly and not really visually consistent, the hideous typewriter effect for centered text, the ugly character name entry screen, the awful battle UI (no matter which one you pick), permanent fast-forward icon on battle screen, permanent minimap on overworld screen (and it's not even put in a corner, it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, only 5 save files, the weird boxes in the menu UI for character formation stuff, all the tutorial text is hardcoded for the default keyboard config and not controller friendly, default controller bindings are bad, the weird polygonal world map towns are awful, the perspective in the intro isn't right, any kind of parallax scrolling has incorrect speeds on the layers, the flashback sepia filter is changed to electric pikachu piss colour, no toggle for sprint shoes, battle speed option is incorrectly described... a bunch of the battle backgrounds look great but the character's positioning on them is wrong, the equip screen is a total mess, the abilities screen has tabs that are totally undescribed, tab switching behaviour in menu UIs is inconsistent (you can switch between tabs for a character's abilities, but need to cancel out to switch between tabs for the Bestiary), any story battle with text events playing out has an undismissable empty text box sitting on the bottom of the screen, the default icons for stuff make no sense, tutorials in the adventurer's house are inconsistent with one another. When I cancelled out a menu during the Edgar+Kefka scene the music incorrectly changed...

It is seriously hard to imagine how so many basic things were gotten wrong. And some of them might make sense in the mobile port (so this is just a lazy mobile to PC port of a game Square Enix doesn't care about) but many of them don't even make sense in that context. They just went out of their way to make bad design decisions.
Sounds like Square Enix!

Madventure

Last week because they need to have parity with retail price. And it should be out of EA soon (I don't know exact date) and as far as I know it is still unoptimized mess.

August the 8th, 2017 for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, Mac, and Linux

According to the Steam page

M.D

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (M.D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-DC52D9E35AF04A60 - Taken by someguyinahat. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Umbrella Corps -- MB-C78A89BDA569CD57 - Taken by Jadax. 9 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-4EB45AB95C1F07E4 - Taken by famfrit. 2 entrants total.
Umbrella Corps Deluxe Edition Upgrade Pack -- MB-0F040CCBE695ABC4 - Taken by boybrushdRED. 8 entrants total.

t1500321328z1.png
[/QUOTE]

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow the Final Fantasy 6 PC port is really bad, much worse than I thought. People focus on the stupid looking sprites, but that's barely in the top 25 problems.

Resolution locked, blur filter, weird problems in scrolling sequences, weird scrolling on the main menu, you can't set options properly in config, background animations run too fast, NPC movement on maps is too fast, the font is ugly, the text boxes are ugly and not really visually consistent, the hideous typewriter effect for centered text, the ugly character name entry screen, the awful battle UI (no matter which one you pick), permanent fast-forward icon on battle screen, permanent minimap on overworld screen (and it's not even put in a corner, it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, only 5 save files, the weird boxes in the menu UI for character formation stuff, all the tutorial text is hardcoded for the default keyboard config and not controller friendly, default controller bindings are bad, the weird polygonal world map towns are awful, the perspective in the intro isn't right, any kind of parallax scrolling has incorrect speeds on the layers, the flashback sepia filter is changed to electric pikachu piss colour, no toggle for sprint shoes, battle speed option is incorrectly described... a bunch of the battle backgrounds look great but the character's positioning on them is wrong, the equip screen is a total mess, the abilities screen has tabs that are totally undescribed, tab switching behaviour in menu UIs is inconsistent (you can switch between tabs for a character's abilities, but need to cancel out to switch between tabs for the Bestiary), any story battle with text events playing out has an undismissable empty text box sitting on the bottom of the screen, the default icons for stuff make no sense, tutorials in the adventurer's house are inconsistent with one another. When I cancelled out a menu during the Edgar+Kefka scene the music incorrectly changed...

It is seriously hard to imagine how so many basic things were gotten wrong. And some of them might make sense in the mobile port (so this is just a lazy mobile to PC port of a game Square Enix doesn't care about) but many of them don't even make sense in that context. They just went out of their way to make bad design decisions.

Weird Arial text is bad, half the character animation in the M-m-magic scene was covered up by the undismissable text box, the Bestiary has a text alignment issue where the % character and the actual % of the bestiary you've unlocked overlap, the scene where Figaro sinks into the desert as ruined by the massive half-screen world map, the turn speed on Chocobo riding is too low, if you equip sprint shoes there's another permanent icon on the screen, when I exited the west side of South Figaro I appeared on the right (east) side on the world map, the transparency of the clouds on Mt. Koltz is wrong, the in-game battle text in the Vargas fight appears in the right place (as opposed to all the other battle text, which appears in the wrong place) but the right place just highlights that the permanently present fast-forward icon is slightly too far down on the screen, character portrait sprite eye colours don't match regular sprite eye colours, there's no in-game quit option, Alt+F4 crashed the executable, the achievements suck (some have incorrect descriptions: "Meet and befriend Locke" refers to re-recruiting him in the WoR, not meeting him and befriending him -- but the rest are weird because there's basically nothing between the beginning of the game and the post-game content).

lazerfox

Weird Arial text is bad, half the character animation in the M-m-magic scene was covered up by the undismissable text box, the Bestiary has a text alignment issue where the % character and the actual % of the bestiary you've unlocked overlap, the scene where Figaro sinks into the desert as ruined by the massive half-screen world map, the turn speed on Chocobo riding is too low, if you equip sprint shoes there's another permanent icon on the screen, when I exited the west side of South Figaro I appeared on the right (east) side on the world map, the transparency of the clouds on Mt. Koltz is wrong, the in-game battle text in the Vargas fight appears in the right place (as opposed to all the other battle text, which appears in the wrong place) but the right place just highlights that the permanently present fast-forward icon is slightly too far down on the screen, character portrait sprite eye colours don't match regular sprite eye colours, there's no in-game quit option, Alt+F4 crashed the executable, the achievements suck (some have incorrect descriptions: "Meet and befriend Locke" refers to re-recruiting him in the WoR, not meeting him and befriending him -- but the rest are weird because there's basically nothing between the beginning of the game and the post-game content).

Shame. I always wanted to play FF6 and almost bought it during the summer sale.

Now I'm just hoping to get a SNES classic.

Are there any JRPGs on Steam worth playing other than the Falcom lot?

I keep going to my Steam library to play something and ending up back on my Vita for a JRPG instead.

I really want Grandia II but for some reason that didn't get a discount at all in the Steam sale.

I keep going to my Steam library to play something and ending up back on my Vita for a JRPG instead.

I really want Grandia II but for some reason that didn't get a discount at all in the Steam sale.

Tales of?
Disgaea.

And there are a lot of Dungeon Crawlers on it like Stranger of Sword City or Ray Gigant.

BasilZero

Happy about Jedah joining MvsC finally.

But ya...they need to put a BoF rep in the game...I would love to have Katt since the female portion of the roster seems a bit lacking now...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Follow up on the achievements:

Achievement: More than King
Description: You found and befriended Locke.
What you think should trigger it: Locke joins in WoB
What actually triggers it: Finishing Phoenix Cave in WoR

Achievement: Portrait Time
Description: You found and befriended Relm.
What you think should trigger it: Relm joins in WoB
What actually triggers it: Killing Chardanook in WoR

Achievement: Fast Friends, Kupo!
Description: You found and befriended Mog.
What you think should trigger it: Recruiting Mog
What actually triggers it: Recruiting Mog in the WoR

Achievement: Wandering Gambler
Description: You matched all the symbols on Setzer's Slot command.
What you think should trigger it: Getting three matching symbols in Slot
What actually triggers it: Different slot machine outcomes lead to different moves, and you need to do every move out of them.

Achievement: A Chance in a Pinch
Description: You discovered all of the hidden Blitz commands.
What you think should trigger it: Getting all the Blitz commands
What actually triggers it: Somehow, desperation attacks are called Blitzes in this port, even though there's already a thing called Blitz, and you need to have every character used a desperation attack at least once

Great job guys!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Quick Save save game is not visible when you select "Load Game" from the main menu, so you have to compare the "Continue" option with the "Load Game" option to figure out which is the more recent save to figure out what to do.

What actually triggers it: Somehow, desperation attacks are called Blitzes in this port, even though there's already a thing called Blitz, and you need to have every character used a desperation attack at least once

The manual refers to these as "hidden techniques", not Blitzes, so it seems even the people who worked on this low effort port knew the other way around doesn't make any sense.

oni-link

So I just hit chapter 4 in Valkyria Chronicles and holy hell at that difficulty spike

I've been throwing myself at this mission for the last 2 and a half hours and I have no idea how you're meant to win

My tank keeps getting obliterated

I can't believe this jump in difficulty made it into the game in the first place, and then failed to get reduced in a patch

I'm only a few hours in as well

Any advice?

fantomena

Finished Little Nightmares a few hours ago. Really enjoyed it. Will buy the DLC once it's all out and on sale.

Also started What Remains of Edith Finch. Seems great so far.
The Molly part where you control the bird, a shark etc. was hilarious

After Edith Finch I'll play Watch Dogs 2 and after that I have no idea. Maybe for once play ME:A.

What characters need be added to interest you in it if u dont mind me asking?

Given that their handle is GoldandBlue I'm going to guess X-Men.

lol funny enough, I picked that name cause at the time I was really into DC Comics and reading comics with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle.

I wanna see more lady fighters, especially would be really happy to see somebody like Ms Marvel (the current one) in it. In general though what's keeping my interest level from rising is my lack of faith in Capcom. I still feel burned by SFV and the launch for MVCI seems like it's going to be similar.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The game's script frequently uses ellipses (...) but doesn't put spaces after them.

"So...we want you to decide for yourself"

@Stumpokapow: luckily there are some mods which can take care of some of the UI and graphc problems

You can get rid of the filters and there was at one point a mod to get rid of the bizarre guts and man-boobs the sprites have, but I haven't seen anything that actually does anything resembling improving the UI. There's a font mod but the font it replaces the default Arial with is also bad.

Tizoc

Geese Howard was just revealed as an upcoming DLC character for Tekken 7
WITH 3 SUPERS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA

Also (Future) Trunks reveal in DB FighterZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJcJ_zjB5E

lol funny enough, I picked that name cause at the time I was really into DC Comics and reading comics with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle.

I wanna see more lady fighters, especially would be really happy to see somebody like Ms Marvel (the current one) in it. In general though what's keeping my interest level from rising is my lack of faith in Capcom. I still feel burned by SFV and the launch for MVCI seems like it's going to be similar.

Fair enough. Yeah this game needs female characters, ehck replace Antman with Wasp at least.

So I just hit chapter 4 in Valkyria Chronicles and holy hell at that difficulty spike

I've been throwing myself at this mission for the last 2 and a half hours and I have no idea how you're meant to win

My tank keeps getting obliterated

I can't believe this jump in difficulty made it into the game in the first place, and then failed to get reduced in a patch

I'm only a few hours in as well

Any advice?

Scouts. A lot of times the objective can be met by just getting someone to the opponent's flag, and scouts can do the job admirably.

Follow up on the achievements:

Achievement: More than King
Description: You found and befriended Locke.
What you think should trigger it: Locke joins in WoB
What actually triggers it: Finishing Phoenix Cave in WoR

Achievement: Portrait Time
Description: You found and befriended Relm.
What you think should trigger it: Relm joins in WoB
What actually triggers it: Killing Chardanook in WoR

Achievement: Fast Friends, Kupo!
Description: You found and befriended Mog.
What you think should trigger it: Recruiting Mog
What actually triggers it: Recruiting Mog in the WoR

Achievement: Wandering Gambler
Description: You matched all the symbols on Setzer's Slot command.
What you think should trigger it: Getting three matching symbols in Slot
What actually triggers it: Different slot machine outcomes lead to different moves, and you need to do every move out of them.

Great job guys!

This is awesome ^_^

Have all the Disgaeas on various platforms, the DRPGs on Vita. Do need to pick up Berseria at some point though. Was looking for something GPD WIN friendly at the moment however.

I believe Tales of games especially Symphonia would run decently on GPD Win, as well as the first Dark Souls.

Other than that, check out older Final Fantasy games on Steam if you haven't played them. There's also Xanadu Next and Trails in the Sky games. Valkyria Chronicles and I am Setsuna seem managable as well.

I believe Tales of games especially Symphonia would run decently on GPD Win, as well as the first Dark Souls.

Other than that, check out older Final Fantasy games on Steam if you haven't played them. There's also Xanadu Next and Trails in the Sky games. Valkyria Chronicles and I am Setsuna seem managable as well.

Also Grandia II, Disgaea, Phantom Brave.

Back on KH talk, I give SE a year to release KH1.5+2.5 on Steam. I assume the same stuff is going on with these games that we had with FFX HD.

Eila

Half-Minute Hero.
The world would be a better place if more people played that, specially the sequel that's steam only.

I played KH 1&2 on PS2. Not my cup of tea. The first few hours of KH2 might be the most boring I've ever experienced in a game. Talk about a slow start. Not a fan of the combat in this franchise. Story is plain terrible, I can only imagine the mess it has become at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom