• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing video-games nowadays = please wait.

Nev

Banned
I'd rather wait because I have to wait for downloads than because I have to watch some stupid unskippable cutscene, unending unskippable worthless dialogues or shitty handholding that treats you like a completely helpless person.

Remember basically every 3D Zelda ever? FFXIII? MGS 3? Yeah.

I prefer doing some other stuff while the game downloads than going through the old "oh but it gets great after the first 8 hours!!!" bs.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Doom on PS4. So excited to finally play this after all the praise the game got. I put the disk in, thinking the game is going to start. The suddenly a 22 gigabyte update appears! And it's only going to take 10 FUCKING HOURS TO DOWNLOAD. God dammit.

cireza

Doom on PS4. So excited to finally play this after all the praise the game got. I put the disk in, thinking the game is going to start. The suddenly a 22 gigabyte update appears! And it's only going to take 10 FUCKING HOURS TO DOWNLOAD. God dammit.
Yeah, Doom had some pretty huge downloads. But at least, the game is totally worth it, and snapmap is an awesome feature.

Simply, they should allow downloading parts only :
single player
multi player
snapmap

I know resources are shared, but still. It would probably make things smaller in size.

RedSwirl

Also, when I come into possession of a new PS4 disc, I immediately insert it into my PS4, so it starts installing and downloading any updates as soon as possible while I'm off doing something else. If I want to get something from PSN, I just do it on the app and remotely download it to the PS4.

Basically, I've gotten to a point where pretty much anything I do with the PS4 that doesn't involve actually playing a game... is done outside the PS4, so usually when I'm ready to start playing a game I can just wake up the PS4 and start it. The only downside is I have to pretty much always leave it in rest mode. I think of it like my phone, which I rarely shut down completely.

This is actually a bit of an advantage over PC if you don't keep your tower turned on. You can't remotely cold boot it like a modern console and hibernation mode is finicky. Even though physical discs are disappearing from PC, the few times I do install one these days make me feel like I'm traveling back in time.

Here's the deal: consoles are pretty much becoming closed-software computers designed for TVs. Mobile devices sort of won the computing war because they figured out how to make the hardware and operating systems accessible to everyday people. You wake up your phone, you tap and app, and it boots. Consoles need to figure out a similar level of accessibility. The main problem, really, is dealing with pieces of software that are over 50GB.

Top Bottom