• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing video-games nowadays = please wait.

spock

Just got back in to gaming buying a x1 and switch in the same month. I'm use to load screens, patches, etc from when I was younger. But I don't have the same patience these days and notice I find it a much bigger factor. Im a big fan of the switch and cartridges and Nintendo's os because of the speed. Though even zeldas loading which is very minimal gets annoying. Bah, starting to sound like some old man shit. Lol.

opricnik

Banned
Just buy a Nintendo machine. No bullshit. Only games. I love, for instance, the way my WiiU will sometimes say "Hey, wanna update?" and I can say "No!" then play my game. Can't do that on MicroSony's machines.

That's a blatant lie .Literally you can do that since all consoles PS3/360/PSP/VITA,bone,ps4

PillarEN

Wii U Breath of the Wild had to download something day 1 even though it was a physical copy. Not sure what, but it took at least 30 minutes. So this can happen on any platform. Personally if a game allows me to install it on consoles (on PC obviously) then I will do so.

Jacqli

I was pretty worried about having to install each game when I bought my ps4, but it turned out that it is actually quite fast. I was really surprised by this in a positive way given that ps3 was horrid in this aspect. And in steam, except in some weird hours, you can download games fast as well.

rrs

it usually takes under an hour to download full games for me. I have a 200mbps down connection. I can understand how it maybe frustrating to have anything less than 50mbps. I have an xbox one and it typically download ~115mbps via ethernet, Can't complain.
50? ha, I'm stuck with ~6 Mbps unless I teather. 5G, please save cheap internet access
Wii U Breath of the Wild had to download something day 1 even though it was a physical copy. Not sure what, but it took at least 30 minutes. So this can happen on any platform. Personally if a game allows me to install it on consoles (on PC obviously) then I will do so.
WiiU botw needs some data on system for loading time reasons

You can tell who gamed in the 80s in the UK and USA. You lucky shits just putting a cart in and it starting. I had the lovely screechy loading of the 48k. If the bloody thing worked the temperamental piece of shit.

dh4niel

I started playing video games with the SNES but it really became my hobby with the PS1. Never been too impatient when it came to loading times unless it's some shitty optimised PC game with a minute long loading times.

My internet is like 4mb without tethering through t mobile. Only other options are slower.

Ordered FFXV physical copy.
Takes​ two days to arrive.
Wait 45 minutes for install.
Finally start to play.
See update that will take 20+ hours to download.

Should have just bought digital copy in the first place.

Pooya

10GB+ patches is one the few cases that I could get behind cursing at the developers. With all the different methods of smart data archiving and differential patching available, if your client has to just re download pretty much everything, everytime you change something or fix things, not adding content, then that means you screwed badly and didn't care whatsoever about your users. Those damn Doom patches, they are crazy.

Downloading: I can only play on weekends, so I can do that mid week and have it ready for the time I'm free. The joys of being an adult.

Installing: Uh, Is this an Xbox One thing? I don't remember doing this since PS3, and when it comes to retail on PS4 the base files are copied fast. Maybe installing runtime libraries on steam is pretty annoying.

Loading Times: One of the reasons I quit console gaming and went PC. It's good enough for me with a 7200rpm drive, but I consider a SSD in the future.

Buying Digitally: 50mb download speed = 4-6 hours for the biggest games. Even if I bought it on a friday, it will be downloaded by the time I'm done with home cleaning. Yay for chores.

Also, Battle.net patch preloading future updates saves a lot of time.

251367367_9ZFxu-2100x20000.jpg

keraj37

I do remember waiting over a minute for old DOS games like Demon Stalkers to load.

Or taking 8 hours to download the 5MB 3D Lemmings demo.

This isn't something that magically popped up this generation.

im not that old

Yes, this. I remember trying to play at my friends house on Atari and Commodore 64 loading games from tape - I am not sure how long it took to make game ready but in my memories it was ages.

R aka Bon

I don't mind most of the updates, as I usually just play something else or do something else entirely, same for digital games, have a decent internet so not a problem anymore. Although i definitely remember how problematic it could be, especially if you are living with others that also need to use it.

My issue is more the loading times in games. As an example i hated dying in TW3 because it took me so long to load back, so i just turned the difficulty down, as it worsened my enjoyment of the game.

Also i'm not sure if i am the only that has had this experience, but project cars was taking a minute to load everytime I made a minor adjustment in the options menu, that's the reason i stopped playing it, not that i am the biggest fan of racers anyway,

But something you can do that i have seen others on here recommend, is when installing games from the disc, turn of the consoles Wi-Fi, as that seems to speed up the install times.

(Certain games also let you play some aspects of the game when downloading, which is appreciated)

nded

The time spent downloading a game is still quicker than driving to the store or having the game delivered by mail.

But way too many things get in the way of enjoyment for me :
- having to download 2 GB, 4 GB or even 10 GB updates : this takes hours for me. I don't have a very good connection
- installing the games : this takes a lot of time, and it needs to download the updates anyway
- loading times : I have been playing Hitman, Recore and Final Fantasy XV recently, and I simply can't stand the loading times anymore
- buy a game digitally, it will take 2 or 3 days to download : it is actually faster to order it from amazon...

I also have a pretty slow connection (I download games at just under 1MB/s), but that's why I love pre-loads. I feel like that aspect of digital gaming still allows guys like you and I to play from the moment a game goes live. Patches can indeed be annoying, but that's an acceptable trade-off imo for having games constantly being polished post-release. I would have LOVED patches to have been a thing back when KOTOR2 was released for example.

Loading times are indeed an issue, but some games are finding smart ways around them (Witcher 3 may have long load screens, but they're incredibly rare if you don't fast travel), and I'm still crossing my fingers for consoles to adopt SSDs next gen. Adding one to my PC made Skyrim beautifully fast, to the point that loading screens pass by before I can even read their text. I think a large part of this falls on devs though, to be able to find smart ways of disguising load screens. ME:A actually does a fairly smart job of making load screens immersive and mostly hidden, and Jak and Daxter was doing this way back on the PS2. I remember playing that game and thinking "This is it! PS2 gen is the end of loading screens!" But yeah... here we are... waiting for loading screens...

Vitet

I played this game on four 5 1/4" floppy disks. You had to practically swap discs every loading screen or level change, with amazing loading times. And as a bonus, my graphics card was CGA, so less colors than this image 😂

ghostbusters-ii_4.gif

Today better solution it's a fast PC or the Switch. Pop the cartidge and play (unless the game has an update lol)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't stand games that install after you put the disk in for the main install and launch the game. Take FFXV. I put the game in in the morning before work thinking we'd download all patches and install. I boot it up later and it has to install for another 20 minutes on the main menu! Wtf is that!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
SSDs should be the standard by now makes it hard for me to go from playing my pc and getting loading times of less then a second to console with long load times

RRockman

Banned
SSDs should be the standard by now makes it hard for me to go from playing my pc and getting loading times of less then a second to console with long load times

Those are still freaking expensive right now though. We might not see them in consoles for a long time.

I played this game on four 5 1/4" floppy disks. You had to practically swap discs every loading screen or level change, with amazing loading times. And as a bonus, my graphics card was CGA, so less colors than this image 😂

ghostbusters-ii_4.gif

Today better solution it's a fast PC or the Switch. Pop the cartidge and play (unless the game has an update lol)

Yup yup. Got my Switch on release day and played Zelda even before updating. Just drop in the cart and bam! Action. I can deal with software installs but they will never stop being annoying to me.

I so do know what you're talking about. I kept expecting loading to get cut down at some point, but I think post ps2 til now it's been the same. It doesn't seem to be a priority.
That said, I'd like to say the new Zelda's lightning fast menu should get more attention. That thing is righteous

DocSeuss

I'm glad I grew up with PC games, so this has always been a norm and the dumbest shit console gamers these days complain about.

BDs read slow. Gotta install games off 'em to the HDs. Patches gotta happen because games are vastly more complex now than ever before.

You want more complex games, visually and mechanically? This is the price. Otherwise, go back to tiny 5mb 2d games that never need to be patched.

xevis

Banned
That's a blatant lie .Literally you can do that since all consoles PS3/360/PSP/VITA,bone,ps4

Not being a fan of MicroSony I tend to avoid their machines. I will say however, from direct personal experience, this defense is bullshit for the PS3. I've lost track how many times that thing forces me to update the system or the game before I can play. Often it's a multi-gigabyte download which pretty much kills my evening plans of playing games.

EDIT:
Did I mention all this update stuff comes after I install the game? It's utterly infuriating. My WiiU, by comparison, loads off the disc. I'm away and playing Mario in seconds. No bullshit. Just games.

Yes, this. I remember trying to play at my friends house on Atari and Commodore 64 loading games from tape - I am not sure how long it took to make game ready but in my memories it was ages.

There is big difference between the tape/discette days and today regarding overall waiting times, it's expectations. On my C64 me and everyone else knew and expected games to take minutes to load (at worst). It was part of the entire experience, it was not wanted but it didn't feel out of place because nothing loaded quick. There were programs like fastloader that seemingly sped up the process a bit but it was still nowhere near as fast as modules or standard cd/dvd disc gaming.

Today the expctation is like this, your girlfriend/wife is on the tablet, it's late and maybe you can play a game for half an hour before friends come over or it's time to visit somebody etc etc. You start the game and there is a several gigabyte-sized update. Your plan is ruined, when you download the patch now you even kill the stream of whatever your girlfriend is watching on the tablet ... all just examples.

Expectations change the perception.

Sillverrr

I have gigabit fibre (realistically I get around half that), but even so, updates are still annoying. I get that you want to install a patch, but does it have to be every frigging time I go to turn on a device/play a game?!?

It's gotten to the point where I'd rather read a book than turn on a console, because I can pick it up and be in the moment almost instantly. I think I'm going to try to play more retro games, because there's just so much less bullshit to cut through.

Also, all the negativity lately - and I am a negative person myself, so it's like a double-whammy - is just turning me off the current industry. I feel as though the focus is on all the wrong things, and that this hobby used to be more fun when I was young. And no, I don't think that's just nostalgia talking.

Azriell

Loading, installing, downloading, etc don't bother me. Those things are necessary evils for now, and maybe forever. I'm just glad consoles can handle this stuff in the background and overnight. Also, thank God for preloading.

I really thought this thread was going to be about long dialogue scenes, mandatory tutorials, and other unskippable forms of dressing/fluff. I think a lot of games have gotten better about this stuff since the GameCube/PS2/XB era, but if you're comparing a modern game vs a 8/16 bit game, it's typically a pretty big in difference in terms of what percentage of the game is things you can put the controller down for.

keraj37

There is big difference between the tape/discette days and today regarding overall waiting times, it's expectations. On my C64 me and everyone else knew and expected games to take minutes to load (at worst). It was part of the entire experience, it was not wanted but it didn't feel out of place because nothing loaded quick. There were programs like fastloader that seemingly sped up the process a bit but it was still nowhere near as fast as modules or standard cd/dvd disc gaming.

Today the expctation is like this, your girlfriend/wife is on the tablet, it's late and maybe you can play a game for half an hour before friends come over or it's time to visit somebody etc etc. You start the game and there is a several gigabyte-sized update. Your plan is ruined, when you download the patch now you even kill the stream of whatever your girlfriend is watching on the tablet ... all just examples.

Expectations change the perception.

Somehow I have to agree.
I have that issue with Origin, that even if I don't use it often, almost every time I just want to spend 10 minutes playing Battlefront, I get instead 10 minutes of updating Origin client.
Usually then I turn off PC and go sleep.

EBreda

PS4 lets you play without updating (with no online functions for that game), Xbox1 doesn't or that's what i remember, i haven't turned on my Xbox since sunset overdrive.

It does If you go offline.

Loading times are my pet peeve as well. Say a racing game loading before every damn race or a fighting game loading at every fight.

I'd much rather have a very, very basic and limited character selection screen or race config and a sped up loading process after that.

Vitet

Yup yup. Got my Switch on release day and played Zelda even before updating. Just drop in the cart and bam! Action. I can deal with software installs but they will never stop being annoying to me.

Same here, and true, you can play even before updating

Freddo

I've read quite a bit of complaints regarding the loading times for Wii U games like LEGO City Undercover and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but I had no problems with those so I guess I'm a bit tolerant.

But then again, back in the C64 days when I started gaming you had to wait about 15-20 minutes for the game to load from a cassette and then it would fail and you had to start it over from the beginning. Fun times :p

When it comes to downloading stuff, I don't really mind it either. My connection is good, and I can simply just play something else while I wait for the game/patch to download. Or if it's a really big download, let it run while I sleep or is at work.

EDIT: Actually, I was a bit peeved earlier this year on the loading in Yakuza 0 for the PS4 when I tried the Climax Battles. When you fail a Climax Battle it loads you back into the menu and then you have to load the Climax Battle you just played all over again. It could have been fixed with a "Replay" option directly after you failed, but no. Sigh.

It's one of the issues that pretty much moved me to PC outside of some Xbox exclusives (which are coming more to PC now also). With the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation, just put in your console and play. With the PS3/Xbox 360 you waited for patches sometimes and had the option to install a game, but some on PS3 required it also I think (only had an Xbox). Now it is install, patch, finally play. It's annoying. Especially if you don't play as much. Boot up a console you haven't used in a few weeks? Wait for the console update. Wait for the game patch. Hour later, you can play.

opricnik

Banned
Not being a fan of MicroSony I tend to avoid their machines. I will say however, from direct personal experience, this defense is bullshit for the PS3. I've lost track how many times that thing forces me to update the system or the game before I can play. Often it's a multi-gigabyte download which pretty much kills my evening plans of playing games.

EDIT:
Did I mention all this update stuff comes after I install the game? It's utterly infuriating. My WiiU, by comparison, loads off the disc. I'm away and playing Mario in seconds. No bullshit. Just games.

you said you cant play games if they offer you an update , but thats not true.

if you say no you can play games offline.
thats literally same for all video games machine including WiiU (never played it but there is no other way on Multiplayer games)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Keep in mind in the past games weren't ever any bigger than a few MBs, while these days games are MUCH larger in size. Also games are far more complex now than they were back in the day for a number of reasons.

If people want bigger games, it's one of the needed trade-offs.

Petrae

What OP describes is a big reason why I've all but bailed on modern console gaming. Way too much waiting going on.

Time was that you could play a new game without more than a minute's delay (due to disc access time) when you popped it into your console. Now, it's 10, 15, even 30 or more minutes before that new game you bought is playable. Installs and Day-One patches often mean time to make a sandwich, do your taxes, and complete your last will and testament before getting back and waiting for the last minute or so before the game is finally ready to play.

Install times were so bad on the Xbox One that I sold it a month after buying it. At least the PS4 is quicker on the installs-- though patch download speeds are glacially slow, so I end up waiting plenty anyway.

It is what it is. The process isn't going to get any faster. You either deal with it and accept it as the way things are now, or you find another way to entertain yourself. Going back to non-connected consoles has been perfect for me. No more waiting-- I just pop in a cartridge or disc and off I go.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Doesn't bother me considering years ago you had to install games manually off of 4 disc's and wait to plop in the next one. And couldn't open any other crap while doing so. And then put back in Disc 1 to start playing the game. Process could take 40 minutes to 2 hours too.

Had to leave your unit on the whole time too, and if for some reason there was an issue you had to start the process all over again.

Yeah I feel you OP. Even in Matchmaking for games we have seemingly regressed. Halo 2 pioneered MM, but it seems it takes much longer for matches to be made.

Another thing is connecting to servers. I recently tried to play BF1 with my Dad. We had to wait 30+ minutes before a match would even load properly for us.

I recently tried to show someone Rocket League at my house, but lo and behold, it required a 3GB update.

I appreciate my games and what they do, but the waiting game is just horrible.

you're exaggerating first world problems

You're not wrong. We are blessed and complain.

Fbh

Loading screen have never bothered me unless they are super long and frequent. And I can't remember the last game that had something like that.

The initial wait when you get a new game is a bit annoying but there are enough other things I can do while it installs. When I buy a new game I'll just put it in the console as soon as I get home, then I'll just do chores (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc) and by the time I actually have the time to play it will be ready.

Just buy a Nintendo machine. No bullshit. Only games. I love, for instance, the way my WiiU will sometimes say "Hey, wanna update?" and I can say "No!" then play my game. Can't do that on MicroSony's machines.

You absolutely can on Ps4.

You just launch the game and will get a screen that says something like "a new update is downloading, network features for this game will be disabled" then you press Ok and you can play like normal (except no online modes)

Top Bottom