• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Rockefellers indoctrinating youths to alien cults (demo pricing errors on Xbox)

udiie

Maybe they bought the cheaper console, or the one with the games they wanted, or the one their friends had.

get your sensible reasoning out of this thread

on topic:
this was so blatantly obviously a price error. the demo was free at first; could not see the logic of ever making the content which promotes your own product cost money to access.

Occam

Maybe they bought the cheaper console

But it wasn't cheaper if you managed to do the math. It had no hdmi, no wifi (you had to pay for an overpriced adpater) and no hdd (you had to pay for an overpriced proprietary hdd) and no wireless controllers (you had to buy them and a charger separately). Now add the cost of online gaming for the duration of the generation. I'd say it is hard to argue the fact that Xbox owners paid more than Playstation owners last generation.

10468153_858070994222835_6742200117175324352_o.jpg

Free on PSN so obviously a mistake.

GavinGT

Banned
But it wasn't cheaper if you managed to do the math. It had no hdmi, no wifi (you had to pay for an overpriced adpater) and no hdd (you had to pay for an overpriced proprietary hdd) and no wireless controllers (you had to buy them and a charger separately). Now add the cost of online gaming for the duration of the generation. I'd say it is hard to argue the fact that Xbox owners paid more than Playstation owners last generation.

Reminds me of:

mbAXt.png

Occam

I'd love to know how many people did pay for these demos just now.

@GavinGT
If you can't argue the facts, try to ridicule the poster.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd love to know how many people did pay for these demos just now.

@GavinGT
If you can't argue the facts, try to ridicule the poster.

Those aren't facts by the time the PS3 came out most of those were included in the price. Even then outside that it was a $200 shortfall which was easily overcome with smart spending. Facts my ass,

What is this garbage, seriously? Are we back in 2006? Some people had no need for some or all those extras (for instance, I didn't and still don't have any need for wifi, I always use cables), and they were offered a choice to pay a lower price. Likewise, perhaps some Xbox Live Gold subscribers saw "actual value" in getting features that were not available on PSN until PS+ (and some, like party chat or cross-game features until PS4) or other related perks (better download speeds, a more integrated community where most users used voice chat, achievements in every game, demos for all XBLA titles and so on).

But no, it was because they were more susceptible to being exploited.

TrueGrime

What is this garbage, seriously? Are we back in 2006? Some people had no need for some or all those extras (for instance, I didn't and still don't have any need for wifi, I always use cables), and they were offered a choice to pay a lower price. Likewise, perhaps some Xbox Live Gold subscribers saw "actual value" in getting features that were not available on PSN until PS+ (and some, like party chat or cross-game features until PS4) or other related perks (better download speeds, a more integrated community where most users used voice chat, achievements in every game, demos for all XBLA titles and so on).

But no, it was because they were more susceptible to being exploited.

I take it back. His comments had everything to do with platform wars.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe a new business move? Should be interesting to see how it works out. I'm glad that i hardly ever try out demos, so it wont affect me that much.

Hanmik

maybe this is EA´s way to celebrate 4th. of July..? didn´t they lose that Golden Turd award this year..? time to reclaim the throne.

Skele7on

Banned
That depends, if you're the person who's fine with paying for things that have always been free, and paying this money to the biggest and most succesful publishers out there.

I think I just don't care enough to be bothered.

I mean seriously, why rent an EA game such as Fifa or UFC?

I'm 99% sure it's a mistake, but really you know what you're getting with EA games.

" a lackluster experience that hasn't developed or improved much from last years iteration, with some awful online server support.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Polygon have already confirmed it's an error but I have to consider that pricing. One would have thought that if it WAS an error, then surely the full price of the game would have been supplied. What sort of error could have lead to $4,99? That's one hell of a specific error.

Trial/test.

Sakujou

Banned
If people are buying demos, why not?

and this is pretty much the end of gaming.

if people are willing to pay for demos, what is the next level?

paying like for every single level?

so a game might be as expensive as a videogame system?

i mean we pretty much have that sitution these days in some f2p on mobile games...

TakeShad

Banned
and this is pretty much the end of gaming.

if people are willing to pay for demos, what is the next level?

paying like for every single level?

so a game might be as expensive as a videogame system?

i mean we pretty much have that sitution these days in some f2p on mobile games...
The so-called "public" is being dumbed down with every year and it's a well-designed socio-cultural process. They don't want you to think, just pay.

Sakujou

Banned
The so-called "public" is being dumbed down with every year and it's a well-designed socio-cultural process. They don't want you to think, just pay.

i think the model of LoL, DOTA2, TF2 is pretty good. the same as world of tanks... but except those games i dont know any good games with f2p.

on the other hand, i only play single player games on consoles/handhelds with no DLC or only GOTY-editions so i dont care about mobile.... but on the other hand... if this stuff comes over to consoles... well fuck me, i wont support that.

GavinGT

Banned
Polygon have already confirmed it's an error but I have to consider that pricing. One would have thought that if it WAS an error, then surely the full price of the game would have been supplied. What sort of error could have lead to $4,99? That's one hell of a specific error.

Trial/test.

These are very complicated systems comprised of tons of code and with tons of different people working on them. Anything could have happened.

Besides, if the price were set to $60 or $100, this wouldn't even have been a story. We're only hearing about it because the price happened to be set so low.

TakeShad

Banned
i think the model of LoL, DOTA2, TF2 is pretty good. the same as world of tanks... but except those games i dont know any good games with f2p.
It's just to soften the minds and get people addicted. It's an evil spiral.

DLC, F2P, mobile genericness, always on-line etc are terrible things in the long run. Personally, I'm mostly pissed at how that stuff destroys the game's integrity. All this stuff won't work sooner than people think because of dead servers, copyright issues etc. What I loved about console games was that you bought a self-contained package, which forced the devs to make sure the games are tight and worth the investment (although it wasn't always the case, the overall amount of bugs and stupid design choices was much smaller). Moore can have his growing market, but just stay away from traditional gaming, not fucking destroy it just to have a sea of shovelware and DLC flooding us.

Rivitur

Banned
Someone buy it already and I will reimburse you but you have to make it a big deal with how it was an accident and throw ea under the bus...

Only if u spend 5$

Weird. I downloaded the demo for UFC on Xbox One last night for free. They must have changed it at midnight, I guess.

Top Bottom