• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Rockefellers indoctrinating youths to alien cults (demo pricing errors on Xbox)

Hanmik

These are very complicated systems comprised of tons of code and with tons of different people working on them. Anything could have happened.

Besides, if the price were set to $60 or $100, this wouldn't even have been a story. We're only hearing about it because the price happened to be set so low.

so complicated that Fifa and UFC got the exact same price for their demos..?

GavinGT

Banned
so complicated that Fifa and UFC got the exact same price for their demos..?

Yes, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for how the prices got set that way. Something besides "We're gonna start charging people for demos now!". I don't know, but I think it's awfully presumptuous that some of you pretend to know that it must have been on purpose.

Demos never were and never will be free. It cost to the editor to put it out there.
Interesting fact: there was a study (or a press article) that showed that publishing a demo wasn't healthy for the commercial success of a game. I am looking for the source.

Hanmik

Yes, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the prices were set that way. Something besides "We're gonna start charging people for demos now!". I don't know, but I think it's awfully presumptuous that some of you pretend to know that it must have been on purpose.

I´m not saying it´s on purpose.. I just find it to be a strange "glitch"..

are there any other demos for EA games on Xbox One..? NBA Live 2014. Madden PvZ garden Warfare or something like that..? if so are they still free?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
These are very complicated systems comprised of tons of code and with tons of different people working on them. Anything could have happened.

Besides, if the price were set to $60 or $100, this wouldn't even have been a story. We're only hearing about it because the price happened to be set so low.

If it's an error then you would expect a certain degree of randomness to be involved OR the pricing is from something else related to the game but got associated with the demo by accident.

If there isn't anything else for $4.99 then we can only assume it's a random figure that's been accidentally associated with the product, but what are the chances a random figure would be $4.99? If it had been $3.72 or $2.93 then perhaps there's a case for the 'random accident' idea.

It's too specific. It was a test.

GavinGT

Banned
If it's an error then you would expect a certain degree of randomness to be involved OR the pricing is from something else related to the game but got associated with the demo by accident.

If there isn't anything else for $4.99 then we can only assume it's a random figure that's been accidentally associated with the product, but what are the chances a random figure would be $4.99? If it had been $3.72 or $2.93 then perhaps there's a case for the 'random accident' idea.

It's too specific. It was a test.

You're making a boatload of assumptions here regarding a system about which you know nothing.

Molaram

Banned
I doubt it's an error; more likely EA's a/b testing -- putting a paid demo out for a few hours and checking the uptake.

Game companies do it all the time, guess the NeoGaf ninjas caught it this time. :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You're making a boatload of assumptions here regarding a system about which you know nothing.

So where does the specific price of $4.99 come from? You can either just turn away from a conundrum like this or you can engage in speculation. I choose to engage with the problem. I do realise it's much easier to turn away and simply say 'no idea' but I have never been like that and never will be like that.

The price had to have been generated some way and unless EA specifically explain how the price of $4.99 was accidentally generated, I will always favour the 'test' theory as the most likely answer.

CTLance

This is a pricing error, obviously.

Still, it's hilarious to see the sheer amount of people completely willing to accept that EA is behind this (me included). EA have a terrifying public image problem. Once people are unwilling to give you the benefit of the doubt you are in deep shit.

Occam

What made the whole thing somewhat suspicious is that it wasn't just the US. They priced those demos €4.99 in Germany, and £3.99 in the UK.

I really doubt many people would actually be surprised that EA started doing this. I'm sure its an error but please lets not give them ideas (and for the love of god don't purchase it!).

That said... If it ends up being real, totally going to make a video about it XD

GavinGT

Banned
So where does the specific price of $4.99 come from? You can either just turn away from a conundrum like this or you can engage in speculation. I choose to engage with the problem. I do realise it's much easier to turn away and simply say 'no idea' but I have never been like that and never will be like that.

The price had to have been generated some way and unless EA specifically explain how the price of $4.99 was accidentally generated, I will always favour the 'test' theory as the most likely answer.

Think what you want. I'm just drawing from my experience as a programmer, both of back-end systems and user interfaces. Things get complicated. Furthermore, you can never underestimate a person's ability to misinterpret the designer's intent and use the system incorrectly.

But I'm not going to engage your line of questioning and try to guess at what happened. There's no point when it could be literally anything.

Bluth54

It's just to soften the minds and get people addicted. It's an evil spiral.

DLC, F2P, mobile genericness, always on-line etc are terrible things in the long run. Personally, I'm mostly pissed at how that stuff destroys the game's integrity. All this stuff won't work sooner than people think because of dead servers, copyright issues etc. What I loved about console games was that you bought a self-contained package, which forced the devs to make sure the games are tight and worth the investment (although it wasn't always the case, the overall amount of bugs and stupid design choices was much smaller). Moore can have his growing market, but just stay away from traditional gaming, not fucking destroy it just to have a sea of shovelware and DLC flooding us.

Team Fortress 2 has gotten 2-3 games worth of content for free in the last 7 years, and after the game went free 2 play you didn't have to pay a penny if you didn't want to. I would hardly call that terrible.

What made the whole thing somewhat suspicious is that it wasn't just the US. They priced those demos €4.99 in Germany, and £3.99 in the UK.
take the iOS apple submission store, pricing is just a checkbox menu, and the $0.99 option is just below the free option. Checking the $0.99 automatically applies it to all the countries you sell your app in in that regions adjusted price.

All it could be is just someone who accidentally clicked the price instead of free when updating the system.

Some of you are really going into the deep end in this conspiracy.

Malio

EA is going to say it's an error but they are really testing the waters to see if they can get away with it lol

Yep, was gonna post exactly this. Why isn't it a $49.99 pricing error? Or $59.99 pricing error? And both on Sports games that suckers buy every year? C'mon.

fred

Just an fyi the FIFA demo was free on PS4 as of last week. Wonder why the disparity?

Edited to add on PS4. A very important detail

Perhaps because they realise that the PS4 full game is going to sell around twice as much as the Xbox One game. I guess they're trying to claw as much back from the Demo in attempt to mitigate losses on the Xbox One SKU.

If Microsoft don't do something to stop the Xbox One flopping you may see the Xbox One losing third party support soon.

Dire

Would not surprise me one bit if it does turn out to be EA standard 10 years from now to charge for demos. "Demos cost money to make"!

That would require EA to be in business in 10 years.

Everything they are doing is more or less the definition of screw the future for the sake of short term profits.

GavinGT

Banned
Perhaps because they realise that the PS4 full game is going to sell around twice as much as the Xbox One game. I guess they're trying to claw as much back from the Demo in attempt to mitigate losses on the Xbox One SKU.

If Microsoft don't do something to stop the Xbox One flopping you may see the Xbox One losing third party support soon.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting too old for this.

keit4

Banned

/dead

jelly

A pricing error can happen but applying a low tier price to something that never has a price, you can only think it's deliberate.

Scum

take the iOS apple submission store, pricing is just a checkbox menu, and the $0.99 option is just below the free option. Checking the $0.99 automatically applies it to all the countries you sell your app in in that regions adjusted price.

All it could be is just someone who accidentally clicked the price instead of free when updating the system.

Some of you are really going into the deep end in this conspiracy.

Can you blame them though? It could very well be a pricing error, but with EA you never know. Most wouldn't put it pass them to pull off shit like this.

Goldmund

I'm guessing that when (re-)publishing a piece of software on the Xbox One marketplace the price automatically gets adjusted for all available regions. Maybe there's like a safeguard that will default to the equivalent of $5 if you don't specify the price and just hit "publish" assuming it will go up as "for free". Just guessing blindly here.

The only malicious scheming I can imagine to have happened is that EA knew about this error right away and waited until people noticed and complained, noting down the exact time and volume of complaints for future reference.

Hanmik

I used to pay money for demos..

b1.gif

but back then I got a magazine to read alongside the demos.

Seanspeed

Banned
Would be interesting to know:

a) How many people actually paid for these?

and

b) Was there a spike in the number of downloads in general?

Funny thing is I never buy FIFA any more, I just download the demo and play that when I want a quick game of football.

Maybe that's the reason, too many freeloaders.

Mohonky

Why do you blame EA? Isn't it MGS that pioneered this type of thing?
Sony always did that 'Prologue' shit for the GT games.

Either release a free demo or the full game as far as I am concerned, none of this half assed bit more than a demo no where near a full game stuff.

Dire

They'll stop it if no one plays their demo. Gamers have to take a stand against this crap

Or they'll see their eventual purchase numbers decline by 25% and blame it on mobile instead.

Rule number one of running a corporation into the ground: Nothing that ever goes wrong is because of anything you did. After all, you didn't get to be a billion dollar corporation by making mistakes!

Top Bottom