• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Rockefellers indoctrinating youths to alien cults (demo pricing errors on Xbox)

Pretty sure it's a price error. Do people legit think this isn't?

I don't understand how in their right minds that EA would charge for a demo. I'm going with price error, there is no conspiracy here.

Going forward, I think I could see companies charging for an "unlimited demo," but offering a demo with limited plays (10) for Free. Good business sense.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard. I'm sorry for reacting strongly about that statement but you don't pay for a demo when you don't even pay for betas. At least on consoles. I know people do it all the time on Steam. Even Nintendo gives you 30 tries on the 3ds. Where you don't use one up if you just close the 3ds mid game. Why start 20 tries lower? That's not good business sense. I should never have to pay for a sample. If I don't like it, I won't be encouraged to pay for the actual thing and eventually EA gets $5 for me giving an opinion.

But this is a sign for things to come. If they get enough, other companies will do it and it'll become the new normal.

Rapstah

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard. I'm sorry for reacting strongly about that statement but you don't pay for a demo when you don't even pay for betas. At least on consoles. I know people do it all the time on Steam. Even Nintendo gives you 30 tries on the 3ds. Where you don't use one up if you just close the 3ds mid game. Why start 20 tries lower? That's not good business sense. I should never have to pay for a sample. If I don't like it, I won't be encouraged to pay for the actual thing and eventually EA gets $5 for me giving an opinion.

But this is a sign for things to come. If they get enough, other companies will do it and it'll become the new normal.

30 tries is just the maximum for 3DS demos. There have been demos with 10 tries and I'm pretty sure I've seen 5.

Z_Y

Those claiming conspiracy theories are conveniently dismissing the fact that the UFC demo (never checked the fifa) has been available for weeks for free.

Also the timing of this seems to indicate that it was an error. More than likely, something rolled over at midnight and $4.99 (£3.99) is likely a default price for content.

Caayn

take the iOS apple submission store, pricing is just a checkbox menu, and the $0.99 option is just below the free option. Checking the $0.99 automatically applies it to all the countries you sell your app in in that regions adjusted price.

All it could be is just someone who accidentally clicked the price instead of free when updating the system.

Some of you are really going into the deep end in this conspiracy.
Pretty much. Those prices aren't randomly generated. But no room for reason and logic when we can bash and get angry instead.

bud23

What made the whole thing somewhat suspicious is that it wasn't just the US. They priced those demos €4.99 in Germany, and £3.99 in the UK.

Pricing error, obviously. What else could it be? We are talking about EA, man. They are not that evil, you guys should know better.

If it's an error then you would expect a certain degree of randomness to be involved OR the pricing is from something else related to the game but got associated with the demo by accident.

If there isn't anything else for $4.99 then we can only assume it's a random figure that's been accidentally associated with the product, but what are the chances a random figure would be $4.99? If it had been $3.72 or $2.93 then perhaps there's a case for the 'random accident' idea.

It's too specific. It was a test.

Yeah a test, not random at all, totally.

Brr68eACUAA8NcP.png

Occam

take the iOS apple submission store, pricing is just a checkbox menu, and the $0.99 option is just below the free option. Checking the $0.99 automatically applies it to all the countries you sell your app in in that regions adjusted price.

Is pricing on consoles really set centrally at fixed and pre-determined conversion rates for all separate regions? What about region-specific sales like we often have on consoles?

Is pricing on consoles really set centrally at fixed and pre-determined conversion rates for all seprarate regions? What about region-specific sales like we often have on consoles?
No idea on how it works on the xbox, but on something like the iOS store, there is a page for central pricing, and then there's a way to add additional exceptions for pricing in regions for time duration.

It seems like such a robust system that I'd imagine it'd be the same on all the other platforms.

WarpathDC

This tweet is hilariously ironic (taken out of context obviously)

"@EASPORTSFIFA: @geekapple Please try changing the minimum price slightly. If your issue persists please contact us at http://t.co/jzyjOQDahb"

Is pricing on consoles really set centrally at fixed and pre-determined conversion rates for all seprarate regions? What about region-specific sales like we often have on consoles?

Only on Xbox. Sony requires publishers to make two separate submissions for SCEA and SCEE and then the game goes through two different approval processes. This is why 1001 Spikes, Counter Strike GO, Netflix Vita and probably other things are only available in America but not Europe.

Sony needs to change this stupid system.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Polygon have already confirmed it's an error but I have to consider that pricing. One would have thought that if it WAS an error, then surely the full price of the game would have been supplied. What sort of error could have lead to $4,99? That's one hell of a specific error.

Trial/test.

$99,99 for a demo would be a pricing error; 4,99 fucking isn't. Probably just a glimpse of the future.

My thoughts exactly.

If it's an error then you would expect a certain degree of randomness to be involved OR the pricing is from something else related to the game but got associated with the demo by accident.

If there isn't anything else for $4.99 then we can only assume it's a random figure that's been accidentally associated with the product, but what are the chances a random figure would be $4.99? If it had been $3.72 or $2.93 then perhaps there's a case for the 'random accident' idea.

It's too specific. It was a test.

I doubt it's an error; more likely EA's a/b testing -- putting a paid demo out for a few hours and checking the uptake.

Game companies do it all the time, guess the NeoGaf ninjas caught it this time. :)

''Pricing error''.

It obviously wasn't an error.

I can't believe some people buy those EA lies.
And this is why juniors have a bad name :( .

fred

lolol. Amazing.

I've mentioned this several times on here. The Xbox One isn't doing a great deal better than the Wii U was this time last year...there's probably only around 1m sales in it. I don't think it's got an installed userbase over 4.5m yet personally, Microsoft's silence on actual sales as opposed to shipments is deafening.

The Xbox One has only been doing 'okay' in the States and has been an unmitigated flop in Europe.

Of course, it's not flopping as badly as the Wii U but is certainly is flopping. Like I've also said before it's only a matter of time before PS4 SKUs start to shift twice as many units as Xbox One SKUs, and unless Microsoft do something to get Xbox One consoles in homes you may see third parties having second thoughts about supporting the console.

iNvid02

why would they charge on XB1 and make it free on PS4?

it was probably a price error, but hey lets don tinfoil hats

Occam

There is no proof one way or the other.

Maybe it really was an error, but is the possibility that they did it on purpose (knowing they could plausibly deny it later) for a few hours as an experiement to see how many people would actually pay for demos really that far-fetched? This is EA we are talking about.

As mentioned before, this is a real quote by their former CEO: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

tuna_love

Banned
I've mentioned this several times on here. The Xbox One isn't doing a great deal better than the Wii U was this time last year...there's probably only around 1m sales in it. I don't think it's got an installed userbase over 4.5m yet personally, Microsoft's silence on actual sales as opposed to shipments is deafening.

The Xbox One has only been doing 'okay' in the States and has been an unmitigated flop in Europe.

Of course, it's not flopping as badly as the Wii U but is certainly is flopping. Like I've also said before it's only a matter of time before PS4 SKUs start to shift twice as many units as Xbox One SKUs, and unless Microsoft do something to get Xbox One consoles in homes you may see third parties having second thoughts about supporting the console.
lolol. Amazing

What has this got to do with a demo pricing error ?

Caayn

Excuse me for not swallowing that huge load of EA PR.
What PR? There isn't a single piece of PR about this incident. Please provide a sound reason why this is done on purpose to test things, and no "lolz EA" is not a reason.

The Fifa 14 demo shows up as free for me. (US marketplace)

What PR? There isn't a single piece of PR about this incident. Please provide a sound reason why this is done on purpose to test things, and no "lolz EA" is not a reason.

The Fifa 14 demo shows up as free for me. (US marketplace)

We'll just have to wait and see..

The sound reason is that company like EA *will* monetize anything they can. Claiming otherwise is just silly.

TheGamer

Typical EA, it tries to test the market and if it goes bad, "Oops, sorry guys, it was price error." I could believe them if it was priced at $59.99 because that would be the price of the game, but $4.99 is hard for me to believe that it was a pricing error.

Izuna

Banned
5 Million consoles sold in under a year, and yet people think the Xbox One is "flopping"?

Also, charging for demos wouldn't be horrible if they were full games with a decent amount of locked content, like the first 2 chapters or something. It would be even cooler (though heavily unlikely) if you can complete challenges in the demo to get a small discount on the full game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
5 Million consoles sold in under a year, and yet people think the Xbox One is "flopping"?
There's two views on this. Overall you're definitely right. But since the great launch, Xbox One sales have been bad recently. We'll see with NPD if there was a recovery in June or not.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Typical EA, it tries to test the market and if it goes bad, "Oops, sorry guys, it was price error." I could believe them if it was priced at $59.99 because that would be the price of the game, but $4.99 is hard for me to believe that it was a pricing error.
I believe so too. It was 3.99£ in GB, so it seems like someone had put thought into this.

TakeShad

Banned
zMaRWu5.jpg

Yep. If it was any other publisher I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but EA is just rotten enough to pull something like this.

GavinGT

Banned
Shouldn't hoop on a stick have a controller feedback you can feel and see ticked?!

You definetly feel and see the stick (which clearly is the controller in this).. Otherwise it's very difficult to stick it to the hoop..

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that pineapples are fucking useless.

TTOOLL

I don't think it's a price error, more like an intended mistake. I wonder how many people bought this demo.

Kelsey

Banned
It's probably just MS attempting to trick some of those people that got flush with XBL money from the Gamestop promo into spending some of it.

Wow, just wow...lol

All it could be is just someone who accidentally clicked the price instead of free when updating the system.

Some of you are really going into the deep end in this conspiracy.
I understand those kinds of accidents but if you were EA why would you even mess with the price of demos that have been out for nearly a year? That is quite the many accidental clicks you have to do.

30 tries is just the maximum for 3DS demos. There have been demos with 10 tries and I'm pretty sure I've seen 5.
Now that everyone hates NISA Europe again (thanks to their $=£ shop), the Etrian Odyssey IV demo was 3 uses in Europe (compared to the 30 Atlus USA offered). This is a fairly long RPG demo too (its put me off the game, I'm scared to try the demo as I worry of running out of uses and won't buy the full game until I clear the demo). They learned their lesson with Etrian Odyssey Untold which was 30 used.

PaNaMa

Banned
*Ahem*

Absolutely not defending EA here, buuuuuut... consider.
A friend of mine has kids. They love sports games, hockey soccer etc.
The thing is, he just downloads the lates NHL demo for them and they're perfectly content with it.

They never ask him to buy the full game. Totally content just to play the demo over and over. Most are even multiplayer, so they can play with their friends.

I realize this isn't true with most gamers, and probably as kids get older they begin to understand what they're missing out on by only having a demo. But I am willing to bet EA has a paper pusher who will say something like "X360 NHL Demo was downloaded 40 million accounts; only sold 1 million retail copies. 35% of all people downloaded that demo continued to play for (x number of months) for dozens if not hundres of hours after retail release without ever upgrading.

In other words, a high(ish) percent of people were getting all the enjoyment they wanted out of a game, for free. Cause the demo offered a casual bit of hockey or (soccer or what have you).

Maybe a percentage of those people would have bought the full game, had their not been a demo. Maybe not. But EA clearly sees that people are downloading demos, playing them long past retal release, and not upgrading. And they feel they can wring extra dollars out.

I think it's a terrible idea, and will just serve to further isolate EA from the hearts of gamers.

Only way I could get behind it is this: Demo for NHL comes out, say end of July. It costs me $5. Buuuuuuuut if I buy the demo, I get the retail release for $5 cheaper in September off the online store.

Edit: It was allll a mistake, apparently.

WarpathDC

*Ahem*

Absolutely not defending EA here, buuuuuut... consider.
A friend of mine has kids. They love sports games, hockey soccer etc.
The thing is, he just downloads the lates NHL demo for them and they're perfectly content with it.

They never ask him to buy the full game. Totally content just to play the demo over and over. Most are even multiplayer, so they can play with their friends.

I realize this isn't true with most gamers, and probably as kids get older they begin to understand what they're missing out on by only having a demo. But I am willing to bet EA has a paper pusher who will say something like "X360 NHL Demo was downloaded 40 million accounts; only sold 1 million retail copies. 35% of all people downloaded that demo continued to play for (x number of months) for dozens if not hundres of hours after retail release without ever upgrading.

In other words, a high(ish) percent of people were getting all the enjoyment they wanted out of a game, for free. Cause the demo offered a casual bit of hockey or (soccer or what have you).

Maybe a percentage of those people would have bought the full game, had their not been a demo. Maybe not. But EA clearly sees that people are downloading demos, playing them long past retal release, and not upgrading. And they feel they can wring extra dollars out.

I think it's a terrible idea, and will just serve to further isolate EA from the hearts of gamers. Only way I could get behind it is this: Demo for NHL comes out, say end of July. It costs me $5. Buuuuuuuut if I buy the demo, I get the retail release for $5 cheaper in September off the online store.

I like demos to be free. Period. I won't support anything else.

TakeShad

Banned
It's not about liking or not liking something. Demos are free just like Sun is a star. Period. If people get their brains rotten to the point that they support being raped and laughed at (yes, these companies laugh at the consumers behind the curtains), then we have a problem.

You do not change the basic, logical aspects of a business just because you want more money. Everybody wants more money and so what? There need to be clear lines for what is fair and what is fucked up.

I understand those kinds of accidents but if you were EA why would you even mess with the price of demos that have been out for nearly a year? That is quite the many accidental clicks you have to do.
If the interface is shitty (entirely possible), maybe it was next to the "remove from store" button but instead clicked on that instead?

Non outward facing User Interfaces are usually garbage and unfriendly. That can happen.

eso76

unrelated, but the lack of demos on xbone and ps4 is depressing.
how many are there in total ? 6, 7 ? and most of those are EA sport games i don't care about

This has reminded me that IIRC, a demo for Sim City 2000 or 3000 was released on CD that you could buy in shops in the UK. I think it might have been specifically in HMV, but other shops may have carried it.

Does anyone else remember this?

Top Bottom