• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Getting a little frustrated in GZ. Can't find Paz. I listened to the tapes, and I went to the place that sounded like the gate in the tape, but I didn't find anything there. I've been interrogating a bunch of soldiers and all I've learned is the location of ammo and a sniper rifle. Oh and the location of security cameras. Am I supposed to interrogate a specific soldier to unlock the location of Paz? Would prefer a simple yes/no to this as I would like to figure it out still.

You don't need to listen to the tape, nor interrogate anyone. The tape helps you get a general idea. All I can say without giving it away is to be more thorough in exploring the area

ty_hot

Just completed mission 29
The one that the skulls bring your helicopter down and you have to kill 4 of them...
. This is possibly the worst, most frustrating mission I've ever played. Its so frustrating that now that I completed it I just want to take a break from the game lol

Btw, in MGS5, up until now at least, all 'boss' battles are pure shit. I remember playing MGS3 and loving every single boss battle. anyway, game is great. The villain in MGS5 also seems shit too, I have absolutely no expectation of a nice interesting battle.

Oh, there was one nice (
Quiet.
but then shortly after there was the battle against
4 other snipers.... bleeeehhhhh, boooooriiiinnngggg

Coreda

Interesting little tidbit I stumbled upon after randomly poking in one of the voice sound effect directories. Kaz states [1]:

"The amount of tranquilizer in your tranq darts is adjusted depending on the target."

I don't recall hearing this in game but it's curious they'd explain it this way as from my own testing earlier in the thread it seems the same level of tranq is used but differently leveled soldiers have different tolerances which result in varying incapacitation durations (the lower ranked the staff in combat the longer the duration, conversely those higher ranked in combat have shorter knockout durations).

[1] voices\vox_generic_00.sbp\vox_generic_00.sbp\File0110.ogg

Interesting little tidbit I stumbled upon after randomly poking in one of the voice sound effect directories. Kaz states [1]:

"The amount of tranquilizer in your tranq darts is adjusted depending on the target."

I don't recall hearing this in game but it's curious they'd explain it this way as from my own testing earlier in the thread it seems the same level of tranq is used but differently leveled soldiers have different tolerances which result in varying incapacitation durations (the lower ranked the staff in combat the longer the duration, conversely those higher ranked in combat have shorter knockout durations).

[1] voices\vox_generic_00.sbp\vox_generic_00.sbp\File0110.ogg
Is that voice clip used in game? I don't recall it but it'd be easy to forget. Maybe it wasn't used because it sounded too specific...

I know there's a merc voice clip in Angola where they say they tranqs are special made for humans because animal tranqs would kill a man, so maybe the Kaz clip was intended to sort of touch on the same thing but it ended up not getting used? Because you're right, if stronger soldiers taking longer to tranq then that voice clip would suggest you'd up the dosage. So maybe that's why it didn't mean 'changing' the dosage between humans, but just that it's different than animal tranqs.

I'm not really sure what causes the slower tranq rates. I know the field bonus for the Medic skill is that positive medicine effects last longer; Combat unit is more health. So I wonder if the rate at which a tranq takes effect is based on either Combat or Medic, or just a general overall 'Rank' of the target.

Coreda

I'm not really sure what causes the slower tranq rates. I know the field bonus for the Medic skill is that positive medicine effects last longer; Combat unit is more health. So I wonder if the rate at which a tranq takes effect is based on either Combat or Medic, or just a general overall 'Rank' of the target.

Yeah you'd think the Medical stat might affect this somehow, though in my previous tests linked it seems to be based on the combat skill seeing as the lower tolerance (longer knockout) came from an Intel staff member with a medical A ranking/B in combat and overall better stats than the combat staff with a C in medical/A++ in combat.

You could be right about it perhaps referring to animals vs humans, hadn't considered that. Or maybe it wasn't used because it didn't make sense :p

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Using stealth camo PP for fun

Is there a quicker way to reselect it when it before it runs out?

Instead of holding left then hovering over with stick and pressing R3

TheBoss1

Using stealth camo PP for fun

Is there a quicker way to reselect it when it before it runs out?

Instead of holding left then hovering over with stick and pressing R3

I think you can set it up where you quickly tap left on the d-pad to re-select your last used item.

Too bad you can't leave the main weapon (rifle) slot empty or "naked." Ocelot looks silly with a giant rifle on his hip haha.

Guess it's nice we're still getting updated, but more swimsuits? That really the best use of time? -_- I dunno maybe they're pretty popular I'm sure they got better player stats (and what people use) than I do :p

KOMANI

KOMANI
Too bad you can't leave the main weapon (rifle) slot empty or "naked." Ocelot looks silly with a giant rifle on his hip haha.

Guess it's nice we're still getting updated, but more swimsuits? That really the best use of time? -_- I dunno maybe they're pretty popular I'm sure they got better player stats (and what people use) than I do :p
He's playable in fob missions...why wouldn't you want a main gun?!?!

/cower mmmm because Ocelot's pistols prefer to hunt alone...?

Just looks cooler hhhh and maybe it'd give even more bonus event points and espionage points :p

Definitely if you want to continue to play it... I've read PS3 version struggles to reach 30FPS and has a fair bit of pop-in. Half the reason MGS V is great is because of the smoothness of your character control and how smooth action or the world interaction is. What makes it 'great' is fairly dependent on a smooth visual appearance and sense of control feedback.

That said, guess it's a value thing, and how much more you want to play it. I mean, if you already beat it, maybe not worth it just to play a few hours a month.

cj_iwakura

I would like to replay it, I loved the game. I lost my PS3 data, so the PS4 version seems like a good method of starting over. I finished the game except for the nuclear stuff and Quiet's ending.

Mr Git

Finally hit 100% the other day after leaving the game for a year or so. All I'd left to do was mission tasks and a few side ops. Considering I got all S ranks quite some time ago I treated the mission tasks mostly like a 5th or 6th MGS playthrough - i.e. just using all the fun toys and gadgets. Was actually less of a chore than I thought it might be, although some were pretty irksome. Started getting back into FOB missions but my god the newer patched base and equipment upgrades are insane, some bases seem actually impenetrable.

TheBoss1

I would like to replay it, I loved the game. I lost my PS3 data, so the PS4 version seems like a good method of starting over. I finished the game except for the nuclear stuff and Quiet's ending.

Definitely a no brainer to get the PS4 version. It is buttery smooth with even better graphics. Especially with it being a lot cheaper now.

Mr Git

Definitely a no brainer to get the PS4 version. It is buttery smooth with even better graphics. Especially with it being a lot cheaper now.

Absolutely this. I played the PS3 version at my friend's and the difference was stark. He saw the PS4 version at mine and bought it again once he had one.

Coreda

I don't think I've seen this technique used before but love its simplicity. Placing a body on D-Horse, doing your stealth business, then calling D-Horse (still with the body) to your new location for chopper pickup.

I wonder if D-Horse goes completely unnoticed if carrying a body by itself or whether that's due to Saru's placement here.

I think the placement :O I'm not sure though I've never tried that.... :O

I have tried it with jeeps though, and soldiers will spot the sleeping soldier and come wake them up :p

Coreda

I think the placement :O I'm not sure though I've never tried that.... :O

Tested it in a side op and other soldiers will indeed notice bodies when on D-Horse and call to wake comrades (who will fall off the horse :p). Haven't tried it with NPCs like Code Talker however.

The limitation with this tactic is distance from D-Horse. If you can place D-Horse in a safe position and close by (within a few yards) it will function like the video, but I found if D-Horse teleports when called the body won't be transported. So its usefulness is less than I would have hoped for.

Coreda

Awww too bad. Did the body just drop to the ground or outright disappear? I'll have to try sometime.

Good news, did some more testing and it has clarified some things. My original test was performed by driving several hundred meters away then calling D-Horse (based on my new tests it was probably over 500m). For the following tests I ran instead.

Observations:

• So long as the body marker (the triangle symbol) is visible on the map you can call D-Horse to teleport the body. Once the marker of the body disappears from the map so does the body.
  • In one test the distance of the body marker lasted 541m until it vanished from the map. In another test, with a wandering puppet, it was 520m. Another wandering puppet continued on the map until 550m. So <500m is a safe bet (playing on PC with Ultra settings, may be less on consoles).
  • Checkpoints have no affect on whether D-Horse will teleport a body.
  • It's unclear what happens to bodies that 'disappear'. After returning to the marked position there is no (regular) soldier to be found in the general area. In one test I fultoned all but one of the wandering puppets in a side-op, then left the last one on D-Horse. After traveling 500m+ with the body marker disappearing I came back to find no body, however all the other puppets had respawned so it seems the game either spawns them elsewhere or makes them vanish entirely (replacing them in the case of wandering puppets side-ops, perhaps). Would need more comprehensive testing.

wanderingpuppet-12bsvy.jpg
wanderingpuppet-2kbs43.jpg

May try attaching a map marker to a soldier's body prior to placement on D-Horse next.

Update: now this is interesting. If I attach a custom map marker on a soldier's body prior to placing them on D-Horse the range of the body marker (the triangle symbol) remains on the map up to 800m in one test and 1000m in another and can be teleported that distance. Note: the custom marker on the body will disappear from the HUD at around 250m but it's still there, that's why it's useful to place one on the ground beside D-Horse to track the distance.

Clip of 1002m teleportation:

https://my.mixtape.moe/ipamvv.webm

TheBoss1

I'm guessing it's so you don't have the burden of carrying POW/soldiers around on those rescue missions that don't allow you to fulton.

Coreda

I'm guessing it's so you don't have the burden of carrying POW/soldiers around on those rescue missions that don't allow you to fulton.

Pretty much, yeah. Started with that Big Saru Code Talker run linked above and became curious what the extent of the ability was.

There may be some unforeseen uses for it but even in Saru's video it was used mostly just as a cool, unexpected trick. I'd be interested what the reaction of enemies will be if a body is teleported after it's been discovered on D-Horse but prior to it being awakened.

Edit: could also imagine being used if a player is going for a no detection run and doesn't yet have the wormhole fulton upgrade (or perhaps even if they do). With D-Horse called and in a nearby, safe position they could 'stash' the body before exiting on foot and fultoning after a distance to avoid enemies hearing/seeing anything (such as in the case of soldier extraction side-ops/tasks). Limited usefulness but still a peculiar gameplay feature that afaik hasn't been brought up previously.

Yeah or just for fun. In a sort of GZ sense, sometimes I restrict myself from fultoning people who are objectives. While annoying for recruits, I sort of liked having to carry out a Paz, Kaz, Code Talker, etc, so I'll do that for Side Ops, too, sometimes.

One way to test what happens to disappear bodies may be to use an objective target. E.g. rescue the soldier; rescue Code Talker... and when you go too far away from D-Horse, do they disappear and the mission/side op fails, or do they just fall to the ground.

Coreda

One way to test what happens to disappear bodies may be to use an objective target. E.g. rescue the soldier; rescue Code Talker... and when you go too far away from D-Horse, do they disappear and the mission/side op fails, or do they just fall to the ground.

With Code Talker the body marker remained on the map and is teleportable via D-Horse the entire mission area, so 1300m+ without disappearing (and visible on the HUD the entire time).

Tried another mission with a secondary objective rescue (Footprints of Phantoms) and again the body could be teleported the within the full area of the hot zone (1350m+). Unlike Code Talker it wasn't a special yellow body marker and didn't appear on the HUD (only on the map).

So it seems bodies from missions remain on D-Horse throughout the hot zone (I'd guess this is true for non-special/objective NPCs as well, given there are no respawns in missions) while those in free roam are recycled/respawned into their previous positions (since after a certain distance enemies respawn anyway making it hard to tell what exactly happened to the body).

Bodies from 'extract the highly skilled soldier' side-ops also disappear after traveling a distance away from them while situated on D-Horse, respawning along with the other NPCs from the side-op. In the clip below you can actually see the body despawn mid-way after calling D-Horse (in this alternate test was seeing how far a target from a side-op could be teleported outside the side-op area without being auto fultoned, at the beginning of the clip was already out partially).

https://my.mixtape.moe/mykzzf.webm

max_505

Played this on the PC when it first came out and got to 100% in a month. Gonna buy the PS4 version tomorrow because I miss the gameplay, but I'm reading some posts that it's harder to plat this version because of the resources?

Should I just stick to offline mode (don't update to latest patch) or is it still possible to farm the resources in the latest patch without spending hundreds of hours farming?

Banzai

Man, MGO is dead on PC, isn't it? I only bought the PC version a couple of weeks ago and tried to play a round but nothing. Even created a game and waited half an hour but nothing.

Anyway, just the mods on PC make this game better than the PS4 version. Simple stuff like skipping helicopter rides and more NPCs on Mother base is great.

Man, MGO is dead on PC, isn't it? I only bought the PC version a couple of weeks ago and tried to play a round but nothing. Even created a game and waited half an hour but nothing.

Anyway, just the mods on PC make this game better than the PS4 version. Simple stuff like skipping helicopter rides and more NPCs on Mother base is great.

It's not as dead on the PS4, but there's only like a hundred or so people playing. You never get a full lobby. Hell, even when I played it frequently around this time last year you never got a full lobby.

That being said, with it's horrible netcode it be as well be dead, because it's unplayable now.

soory for bumping the tread;

just finished the prologue amd holy shit! I thought I was playing some horror game!!!(in a good way)

masked men indiscriminately killing people, some slow walking nearly indestrustable flameman killing shit, some masked floating telekenitic woman killing shit, a huge flame whale eating an helicopter, said indestructible flame man riding a flaming pegasus!!!

mind already blown!!!

TheKeyPit

Banned
soory for bumping the tread;

just finished the prologue amd holy shit! I thought I was playing some horror game!!!(in a good way)

masked men indiscriminately killing people, some slow walking nearly indestrustable flameman killing shit, some masked floating telekenitic woman killing shit, a huge flame whale eating an helicopter, said indestructible flame man riding a flaming pegasus!!!

mind already blown!!!
Don't be sorry :D

Sec0nd

Never played a MGS game before. But just started playing 5 thanks to PS+. That prologue.. Insanely tense and cool. And than these japanese horror characters show up. WTF was that. The guy you play and that face mask guy don't really acknowledge them as well lol. Are those things normal in this universe or something?

Quick and important question before continue playing. I'm in Afghanistan and just got out of the first settlement or something. Do guards wake up after a while if you knock them out? Two guards woke up, but I don't really think their bodies were found by other guards. I'm a big Splinter Cell guy and always ignore enemies or take them out in a non-lethal way. Is there an advantage to going the non-lethal route?

Oh and I started playing the game before I downloaded the online content (?). What does the online part contain? Is there a tutorial or something?

Yeah there's always a supernatural element to MGS stories, though they've tried to retcon some of the stuff in the past with faux-science.

And also, yeah, if you knock out an enemy, they'll wake up eventually. CQC KOs last the longest, then I thing choke outs, and finally tranquilizers. You can also command guards to lay down if you catch them off guard but they can also stand back up if they feel it's safe; other guards can also wake up knocked out guards.

Main advantage to knocking people out is just that you can fulton them out... recruiting enemies is a big part of the game. You can get rewards for completing missions without killing anyone, too.

But in general, it's not a huge deal either way. Upgrades and recruitment can be a little overstated by the progression system, and the main reason to focus on progressing your base/upgrades is just because new weapons can be fun to use. They can make missions easier and later a few items will be very important, but by and large you're not really 'required' to for difficulty reasons. If anything the game becomes too easy by the final upgrades, so TBH I'd recommend just playing the game however way it find you the most fun -- and just let the progression system be a byproduct of that. Don't let it dictate how you play too much and I think you'll enjoy the game more.

Kazuhira

I don't remember if there was a disadvantage of reaching demon status,do you get spotted more often?
I did an entire playthrough as demon Snake but i don't think it made any difference,i can't remember right now.

Sec0nd

Yeah there's always a supernatural element to MGS stories, though they've tried to retcon some of the stuff in the past with faux-science.

And also, yeah, if you knock out an enemy, they'll wake up eventually. CQC KOs last the longest, then I thing choke outs, and finally tranquilizers. You can also command guards to lay down if you catch them off guard but they can also stand back up if they feel it's safe; other guards can also wake up knocked out guards.

Main advantage to knocking people out is just that you can fulton them out... recruiting enemies is a big part of the game. You can get rewards for completing missions without killing anyone, too.

But in general, it's not a huge deal either way. Upgrades and recruitment can be a little overstated by the progression system, and the main reason to focus on progressing your base/upgrades is just because new weapons can be fun to use. They can make missions easier and later a few items will be very important, but by and large you're not really 'required' to for difficulty reasons. If anything the game becomes too easy by the final upgrades, so TBH I'd recommend just playing the game however way it find you the most fun -- and just let the progression system be a byproduct of that. Don't let it dictate how you play too much and I think you'll enjoy the game more.

Is this something I missed or will I unlock this by continuing playing?

Top Bottom