• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
1.random Side Ops, yes. You can't engage in random Story missions because Story missions commence once you've selected them in your IDROID.

2. You can totally avoid FOBs. Play offline or don't agree to the online Terms. Fobs allows you to grind less by providing better soldiers, more resources, and more gmp faster.

3. Use Camo. Camo really helps.
Holding Square on D Horse allows D horse to run. A lot assume that you need to continuously tap Square to run.
Listen to tapes that are highlighted and do Side ops (if you ever get stuck at story progression)

4. Yes

Many thanks!

Finished the prologue last night, which felt a bit drawn out in places, but was good to have a dose of that Krazy Kojima Shit (tm) right from the off. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the main game. I'll re-do GZ once I re-familiarise myself with the layout. Good to know the saves are retroactive.

Expect me back here gushing or crying for advice in the near future...

J4g3r

So I picked up the game on PC. (I 100% on PS4 back near release)

Should I stick to playing offline when using mods?

Been looking through the Nexus and there's some mods that really interest me, the big one being Infinite Heaven.

"A mod for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain intended to extend gameplay through customizable settings and features."

Kindekuma

Banned
So I picked up the game on PC. (I 100% on PS4 back near release)

Should I stick to playing offline when using mods?

Been looking through the Nexus and there's some mods that really interest me, the big one being Infinite Heaven.

"A mod for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain intended to extend gameplay through customizable settings and features."

I have Infinite Heaven installed on my PC. Don't worry about playing online with FOBs or MGO3, you can't actually use any modifiers in the online modes.

Erigu

I think it's time to take a break from FOB events. My espionage score is a bit high and I keep getting invaded.
Just abort a few of them? It costs you a bunch of espionage points, a few heroism points, and that's it (well, there's also the deployment cost, but that can be next to nothing).

J.EM1

Just abort a few of them? It costs you a bunch of espionage points, a few heroism points, and that's it (well, there's also the deployment cost, but that can be next to nothing).
I see. Guess that will be the plan for the next few days. Thanks!

KyleCross

Can someone explain something to me? I'm trying to build a nuke and then destroy it for the two trophies, I was short on fuel so I've been gathering it. I now have enough but still couldn't build, then I found out why.

My total fuel resources (processed) is 77k... but that amount is split between offline and online resources. I only have 7k offline, then 70k online. So I have to have 75k total in one or the other? This is bullshit, why can't I pool them together. I guess I have to continue to grind until my online fuel is 75k? I tried going offline and there's not enough.

Kindekuma

Banned
Awesome, thank you.

Any other mods that people recommend?

Um, instant development and deployment is a must have as well. You can build weapons and Mother Base instantly instead of dealing with a in game timer. But it doesn't effect world timer for higher rank items. Also you can finish dispatch missions (offline) instantly as well.

Wild Weather is a good one too, the weather changes up more often so you can get rain or sandstorms much more frequently depending on what weather type you want.

There's also a play as Quiet mod, but instead of using Snakebite to install it uses the QAR Tool or something. I haven't tried that out yet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Bought this on Xbox One, because it's ~20€ for gold members this week.

I've played every game from the MGS HD Collection + PW HD for a bit back then, so that's not my first Metal Gear Solid game.

Edit: I've also played Ground Zeroes.

Edit2: I looked at my achievements from Ground Zeroes and it looks like I extracted most(or perhaps everyone) of the prisoners who can be unlocked in TPP. Nice.

WetWaffle

They can be unlocked in the game. I'm not that far into the game to know exactly how.
The event FOB mission "Freedom from Oppression". Apparently half th enemy staff wear swimsuits. The way they phrased it when you open the game makes it seem like swimsuits were only usable during FOB missions but it's not

Apparently the swimsuit provides a few perks for Diamond Dogs staff.

From GameFAQs:
The wearer gains Athlete and Climber abilities. I just tested it on FOBs and single player after reading a comment about it on a video. It also gives you the extra +50 ESP point "Naked" bonus after completing an infiltration.

This supposed novelty item is actually pretty good. If you can get past the fact that it has no camo bonus on FOBs, it can be very helpful for 2.0x staff. If you use it with a soldier that has Quick Reload, that soldier will play a lot like Snake (w/o the arm obv).

Video: Swimsuit Hidden Perk

How difficult is it to get a Platinum in this game? I completed the main story awhile back, but I kind of miss the gameplay, and seeking a plat could be a fun way to dive back in.

How difficult is it to get a Platinum in this game? I completed the main story awhile back, but I kind of miss the gameplay, and seeking a plat could be a fun way to dive back in.

The last few trophies are a slog and take a long, long time. But it was run unhti the last 5 or so hours of mission tasks

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I realize I'm late to the party here..but I figured I'd at least post in this thread after chipping away at the game for the past few months. At mission 30 right now so still a decent bit to go, but I remember a lot of the threads over the last year.

lack of story
- I don't get how anyone could think this. The game is endless story, like any of the games before it. Maybe not hour long cutscene story (yet) but I like the touch of Souls in there where you can find little bits of story by listening to guards, asking Ocelot about things, and of course the tapes. I love the tapes. I like them because there's so much dead time in this game that listening to the tapes actually works, and they're absolutely filled with lore.

Whether the story is good or not is a different matter (I know the ending anyway), I just can't believe anyone would say this game is light on story or on Snake. Snake won't shut the fuck up in this game.

open world/freedom - I brought this up when I first started playing, but this game is not open world..I also remember people mentioning how much they loved the freedom of the game. While I agree I could technically approach every mission/outpost in a million different ways..why would I?

My formula for the entire game since I got Quiet's sleep sniper rifle is have her scout an outpost, start firing, and by the time I get there the entire area is zzz. I've done like the last 10 missions like this. I clean up anything she can't get while doing some of the challenges. Why would I do it any other way? I've one shot S-ranked most of my missions like this.

Even if I don't take Quiet with me, I just sleep sniper/gun everyone with ease, get in, get out. The end. I don't know, none of these games have ever been challenging but this is why I also always hated the 'stealth' in these games. It's the same shit over and over on the same npcs. I could go in guns blazin, but when most of the challenges/points are for not doing that, what's the point.

summary - after about mission 25 I stopped doing the side quests and do a mission like every other day. the game was fantastic for the first 20 missions or so but the repetitive nature of just wiping out a camp effortlessly makes the game drag too long. i like when i find a random way around a challenge, like climbing the walls past the female skulls, but those moments where my exploration were rewarded are few and far between.

game is good, but i probably wont finish it for another few months, and basically just focusing on missions and nothing else.

So I realize I'm late to the party here..but I figured I'd at least post in this thread after chipping away at the game for the past few months. At mission 30 right now so still a decent bit to go, but I remember a lot of the threads over the last year.

lack of story
- I don't get how anyone could think this. The game is endless story, like any of the games before it. Maybe not hour long cutscene story (yet) but I like the touch of Souls in there where you can find little bits of story by listening to guards, asking Ocelot about things, and of course the tapes. I love the tapes. I like them because there's so much dead time in this game that listening to the tapes actually works, and they're absolutely filled with lore.

Whether the story is good or not is a different matter (I know the ending anyway), I just can't believe anyone would say this game is light on story or on Snake. Snake won't shut the fuck up in this game.

open world/freedom - I brought this up when I first started playing, but this game is not open world..I also remember people mentioning how much they loved the freedom of the game. While I agree I could technically approach every mission/outpost in a million different ways..why would I?

My formula for the entire game since I got Quiet's sleep sniper rifle is have her scout an outpost, start firing, and by the time I get there the entire area is zzz. I've done like the last 10 missions like this. I clean up anything she can't get while doing some of the challenges. Why would I do it any other way? I've one shot S-ranked most of my missions like this.

Even if I don't take Quiet with me, I just sleep sniper/gun everyone with ease, get in, get out. The end. I don't know, none of these games have ever been challenging but this is why I also always hated the 'stealth' in these games. It's the same shit over and over on the same npcs. I could go in guns blazin, but when most of the challenges/points are for not doing that, what's the point.

summary - after about mission 25 I stopped doing the side quests and do a mission like every other day. the game was fantastic for the first 20 missions or so but the repetitive nature of just wiping out a camp effortlessly makes the game drag too long. i like when i find a random way around a challenge, like climbing the walls past the female skulls, but those moments where my exploration were rewarded are few and far between.

game is good, but i probably wont finish it for another few months, and basically just focusing on missions and nothing else.
The way you are playing the game sounds incredibly fucking boring, the game isn't open world because you lack the creativity to not just repeat the same strategy over and over again? The fuck?. Snake won't shut up, endless story?? Are you playing some alternate reality's version of MGSV?

Coreda

this game is not open world..

I also remember people mentioning how much they loved the freedom of the game.

I agree I could technically approach every mission/outpost in a million different ways..

...[but] why would I?

The short version is it offers too many ways to complete a mission that some fall back on the easiest methods which get boring. I had this convo with someone else here as well, and I don't disagree that it can be an issue for enjoyability if played that way.

Watch Big Saru's runs and you'll see how many unique ways missions can be completed. The freedom is there, it's just there's little incentive to complete them creatively apart from a player's own desire (which I like about it but some players need restrictions to feel rewarding victories). It's why the Subsistence missions are fun: it's just Snake alone with no buddies, fail safes, or sortie prep.

Kyzer

Banned
rewarding the players for doing things creatively is one thing but to say that the game is worse for providing you the option to things however you want and someone choosing to bore themselves to death, thats the players problem imo

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The way you are playing the game sounds incredibly fucking boring, the game isn't open world because you lack the creativity to not just repeat the same strategy over and over again? The fuck?. Snake won't shut up, endless story?? Are you playing some alternate reality's version of MGSV?

why would i do a different strat when this game rewards my strat with s ranks and accomplished challenges? i basically cracked the code. i could not use quiet..but why handicap myself on purpose? i could use decoys and dummies and mines..but why.. why make my missions take twice the time. ive literally never used any item in this game other than smoke grenades. never used my arm, any explosives, pills, goggles..nothing lol. i have my zzz guns and a grenade launcher for vehicles.

the game gives me 9000 shotguns and machineguns and shit but ive never used a single one because this game doesnt reward that gameplay. does it? am i missing something?

as for story, theres cutscenes and tapes after every single mission..the side missions and world dialogue flesh shit out too. who on earth would say this game is lacking story. its hours and hours of recorded dialogue.

rewarding the players for doing things creatively is one thing but to say that the game is worse for providing you the option to things however you want and someone choosing to bore themselves to death, thats the players problem imo

where did anyone say the game is worse for giving options..? wasnt me. i said the game gives you worthless options when it only rewards one style of gameplay.

horkrux

where did anyone say the game is worse for giving options..? wasnt me. i said the game gives you worthless options when it only rewards one style of gameplay.

Well, that's not really true. It rewards many different playstyles, but it rewards them in an equally bad way. I was playing the game mainly with D-Dog and also got my S Ranks with that. But since getting S Ranks was so goddamn easy, there wasn't much of an incentive to ever deviate from the strategy you've been using throughout pretty much the entire game.
The good thing about this is, that the game won't punish you for shaking things up.

I'm an expert

Well, that's not really true. It rewards many different playstyles, but it rewards them in an equally bad way. I was playing the game mainly with D-Dog and also got my S Ranks with that. But since getting S Ranks was so goddamn easy, there wasn't much of an incentive to ever deviate from the strategy you've been using throughout pretty much the entire game.
The good thing about this is, that the game won't punish you for shaking things up.

youre right, i mean i was getting s ranks before quiet too. i could play with no buddies too, same deal.

what i was saying is i dont get why the game gives me all these weaponry and gadgets and tanks and shit when the highest level of reward is for being nonlethal and saving every target/prisoner/extra objecive

horkrux

youre right, i mean i was getting s ranks before quiet too. i could play with no buddies too, same deal.

what i was saying is i dont get why the game gives me all these weaponry and gadgets and tanks and shit when the highest level of reward is for being nonlethal and saving every target/prisoner/extra objecive

Yeah, I thought about this just as I hit the submit button. I think lethal weapons are just fun to use. You don't get anything for going in guns blazin except fun if you're into this sort of thing. The game indeed indirectly punishes you for it, though, so it's not really viable as the main way to approach the missions (most of them anyways).
It's more like 'you did good, now you can go and play'.

Coreda

Is it really that surprising or unrealistic though? It has come from a stealth series. Naturally the game's mechanics favor the player's chances when sneaking and using tactics rather than blowing cover. Every other shooter is available for the latter. If someone were tasked with infiltrating a base and completing all objectives and a player went nuclear just for fun should it reward that with equally high mission complete stats? Or should stealth, tactics and creative solutions be more rewarded as it's harder to accomplish?

That said if you watch some playthroughs, like the channel I linked above, a gamut of weaponry, vehicles, and gadgets are used to complete missions with S-ranks. It's both entertaining and shows how different players approach the same problem.

I definitely agree there's a trap players can fall into after becoming practically a non-lethal god, but at the same time it's not forcing anyone to do it and honestly even getting good end mission stats means jack all really since it's not tied to unlockable items or anything tangible. I don't think I even paid attention to the figures apart from trying for S-ranks (which can often be obtained lethally or non-lethally fwiw).

I'm an expert

I watched two vids of his and didnt see anything special but a mastery of the games ai. I get it, you can have some fun jerkin the ai around with the different items or with different tactics. But this is clearly a guy who has played these missions hundreds of times. For someone like me, once I beat a level, especially with the highest rating or major objectives done, there's little reason for me to go back except 100%ing it, in which case I probably still wouldn't dick around.

I'm totally fine with the stealth thing, I'm playing the game the way I did all of these games. When I get caught, I always restart. Nor do I need to rely on buddies or gadgets or whatever, I could def make my experience a pure solo stealth affair. I just don't think the game is open enough if you're actively trying to beat the game with some feeling of..accomplishment?

If you're at the point where you're playing around in the sandbox, for sure all of the options must be a blast. I just dont have that kind of time, and even if I did, I wouldn't really get the point when the game isnt designed for it, whether from a gameplay or reward perspective.

Let me repeat, I like the game lol, I just dont want to go out of the way to make it fun if the game isnt doing it for me. Perhaps the issue is simply the difficulty. Recent games that come to mind are Amalur or Dogma where the difficulty tuning was terrible and you basically had to purposely handicap yourself to get a challenge.

I could go into every mission with no buddies, no items but my tranq..but it seems odd with the way the game is presented. Shrug.

Why oh why am I still doing FOB shit?

Seriously, it's been nearly a year and I'm still keeping up with it despite all the cheaters on PC and recently catching one who has raided my FOB multiple times by knocking out everyone at the exact moment he shows up on it and taking as many as he can with no reprisals.

Greddleok

I can't get that damn fucking mission 1 task. Not getting hit by a fire ball or whatever. I don't even realise when I am hit, so how the fuck do I not get hit?!

Driving me crazy. It's this that's stopping me from 100%ing the game.

I just reached Chapter 2 yesterday, and aside from having flashbacks to PW's last chapter stupidity, do I need to complete the hard mode version missions to see the story through to the end, or am I good to just do the new missions and the odd hard mode one?

SJRB

Gold Member
I just reached Chapter 2 yesterday, and aside from having flashbacks to PW's last chapter stupidity, do I need to complete the hard mode version missions to see the story through to the end, or am I good to just do the new missions and the odd hard mode one?

You're never forced to do hard missions on repeat to continue the story, you can also do sidemissions like the riviting Mind Cleaing 06.

Greddleok

The hard mode missions are some of the best missions in the game. You don't need to do them, but it's worth it.

You're never forced to do hard missions on repeat to continue the story, you can also do sidemissions like the riviting Mind Cleaing 06.

The hard mode missions are some of the best missions in the game. You don't need to do them, but it's worth it.

Alright, thanks.
I'm definitely going to do them, but I'm already 79 hours in now, as I've been doing all side ops as I get them, but I'm ready to get the story finished as soon possible now.
I've really enjoyed the game so far, and I'd put it just below MGS2 in terms of my favourite MGS games. I'm also not really sure what's wrong with the story so far. I'm enjoying it so far, although it's admittedly a bit confusing so far, and the only mystery that's been explained to me so far is what
The Man on Fire
is.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Alright, thanks.
I'm definitely going to do them, but I'm already 79 hours in now, as I've been doing all side ops as I get them, but I'm ready to get the story finished as soon possible now.
I've really enjoyed the game so far, and I'd put it just below MGS2 in terms of my favourite MGS games. I'm also not really sure what's wrong with the story so far. I'm enjoying it so far, although it's admittedly a bit confusing so far, and the only mystery that's been explained to me so far is what
The Man on Fire
is.
So far.

SJRB

Gold Member
Alright, thanks.
The Man on Fire
is.

Get used to the confused feeling of unresolved stories because it's not getting any better.

cj_iwakura

I enjoy the story for what it is, and what we didn't get honestly just felt like extra threads that were nice, but unnecessary.

I just finished it last night, and although I've not listened to the post Game cassettes or watched
Episode 51
, I really enjoyed the game/story. The ending felt a bit unresolved
I mean they exile Huey, and then Quiet leaves and that's it, but i guess everything had been resolved in chapter 1
, but I really enjoyed
mission 46.

I just have one question about the ending though:
did Big Boss get the surgery, or is that never confirmed? Because obviously he looks like Big Boss/Solidus in the games set after this, so did he not get the surgery, or did he get surgery again later on to make himself look like how he used to look?

Josh5890

I am about to start a playthrough. I remember getting to mission 7 or 8 last fall but I got frustrated at the level where
you had to blow up the tank that passed by the village
. Between that and school I never got around to playing the rest of the game. Now I want to try again.

Any suggestions for my playthrough. Are there certain upgrades I should focus on?

Ourobolus

Banned
So I stopped playing this after getting the Platinum and doing some MGO back around October. (roughly around whenever they changed the Infiltrator class stealth camo for the first time).

Anything new (PS4) that's interesting since then?

KOMANI

KOMANI
I am about to start a playthrough. I remember getting to mission 7 or 8 last fall but I got frustrated at the level where
you had to blow up the tank that passed by the village
. Between that and school I never got around to playing the rest of the game. Now I want to try again.

Any suggestions for my playthrough. Are there certain upgrades I should focus on?
Fulton and bionic arm (mobility etc). Rifles are better than missiles (Molotok, serval, Brennan). Decoys are life savers.

Don't throw the FOM decoy in MB, it crashes the game.

Oynox

So I did mission 10 an rescued the named prisoner... However, unfortunately he died on the motherbase which pisses me off since he is aspecialist. Has his death been scripted or did he die unluckily? Can I repeat the mission and get him another time?

Greddleok

So I did mission 10 an rescued the named prisoner... However, unfortunately he died on the motherbase which pisses me off since he is aspecialist. Has his death been scripted or did he die unluckily? Can I repeat the mission and get him another time?

Pretty sure you can just do the mission again.

Yeah, almost every mission target can be re-acquired with the same portrait, same name. You can even get multiple versions but they get new names.

His death wasn't scripted... I still have my original Malak. If you're unsure when it happened, it was probably a Deployment (if it had happened another way it would probably have been more obvious).

Top Bottom