• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Gui_PT

I can't stand the tapes in this game. I've literally fallen asleep while listening to them.

Wish MGS5 had followed the formula of the previous games and went with the longer cutscenes or at least mid-game codecs

I've got your card number now Mr. Henry Wells.
n2lRURtc.gif

MOTHER BASE... HACKED
rest in peace, big bizzle

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Grabbed on steam. So what's the point of the open world. Like I finish a mission, want to do a side op, but it's like 2000m away..so I ride. So..what? Like I can find some plants or animals, maybe an outpost, but so what..? There's no need to stealth an outpost with 3 guys, just go in and pop them. Then grab 2 mats and maybe an emblem..but so what lol. Am I supposed to just have the chopper take me everywhere? The missions are great but I don't get the point of the giant open space.

Foxxsoxx

Grabbed on steam. So what's the point of the open world. Like I finish a mission, want to do a side op, but it's like 2000m away..so I ride. So..what? Like I can find some plants or animals, maybe an outpost, but so what..? There's no need to stealth an outpost with 3 guys, just go in and pop them. Then grab 2 mats and maybe an emblem..but so what lol. Am I supposed to just have the chopper take me everywhere? The missions are great but I don't get the point of the giant open space.

It lets you tackle missions pretty much any way you want. That's really about it. MGSV gameplay's only flaw is the downtime.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Any way I want meaning any point of entry? I get that but I don't need the open world for that, I can have the chopper drop me wherever. Basically I wouldn't call this game open world if there is nothing to do in the open world. I guess I'll just play it avoiding the long travel times.

i had a much better experience with the game by having the chopper pick me up after basically every mission. i only did side ops if they were really close to where i was. the game definitely did not need to be "open world" in the traditional sense. it could have been a collection of large sandboxes for missions.

Chola

Banned
i had a much better experience with the game by having the chopper pick me up after basically every mission. i only did side ops if they were really close to where i was. the game definitely did not need to be "open world" in the traditional sense. it could have been a collection of large sandboxes for missions.

which it is, open world is optional in MGSV

Kyzer

Banned
I enjoy riding the horse around tbh

Finally have missions
48,49,50 available. I dont see 45 or 46? How do I unlock them?

Also,
what are the options in this game in terms of crazyyy guns like the tornado rifle from MGS4? also will I ever see octocamo or is stealth camo the best ill get

MAX PAYMENT

I can't stand the tapes in this game. I've literally fallen asleep while listening to them.

Wish MGS5 had followed the formula of the previous games and went with the longer cutscenes or at least mid-game codecs

I don't think it was intentional. It screams unfinished to me.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
soooo....
I've downloaded the game during the Japan deal.
Please, tell me that the Prologue isn't representative of the game :|
I hated it, 58min of boring semi-gameplay

Once arrived in Afghanistan I immediately felt in love with the atmosphere. tell me the game is way more represented by the first chapter than by the Prologue.

BadWolf

I don't think it was intentional. It screams unfinished to me.

It was intentional.

You can thank all those people who bitched, moaned and laughed at MGS4 and other games in the series.

soooo....
I've downloaded the game during the Japan deal.
Please, tell me that the Prologue isn't representative of the game :|
I hated it, 58min of boring semi-gameplay

Once arrived in Afghanistan I immediately felt in love with the atmosphere. tell me the game is way more represented by the first chapter than by the Prologue.

This, MGSV is very gameplay focused and the delivery of the story has been adjusted as such.

MAX PAYMENT

It was intentional.

You can thank all those people who bitched, moaned and laughed at MGS4 and other games in the series.

This, MGSV is very gameplay focused.

I'm not convinced it was intentional. It's way too large a departure. There's no way in hell they recorded that much dialogue and thought tapes was an intelligent way to use it.

I bet they created a great game. Then they told konami all they need is 6 months of mocap studio time and they got told to F off. I refuse to believe a studio as good as that as an intentional design decision.

BadWolf

I'm not convinced it was intentional. It's way too large a departure. There's no way in hell they recorded that much dialogue and thought tapes was an intelligent way to use it.

I bet they created a great game. Then they told konami all they need is 6 months of mocap studio time and they got told to F off. I refuse to believe a studio as good as that as an intentional design decision.

Well, you would be wrong. Read some interviews and they will tell you as much. They did the mocap in 2012 btw.

People got on Kojima's case so much about MGS4 that he himself started joking about it in interviews.

They came up with the idea of tapes in Peace Walker and it is actually a pretty damn smart compromise between not having long cutscenes while still being able to deliver a lot of story. They also work great in that they work your imagination, stuff like the Chico tapes and many others wouldn't have had the same impact with visual representation, which spells everything out for you.

MAX PAYMENT

Well, you would be wrong. Read some interviews and they will tell you as much. They did the mocap in 2012 btw.

People got on Kojima's case so much about MGS4 that he himself started joking about it in interviews.

They came up with the idea of tapes in Peace Walker and it is actually a pretty damn smart compromise between not having long cutscenes while still being able to deliver a lot of story. They also work great in that they work your imagination, stuff like the Chico tapes and many others wouldn't have had the same impact with visual representation which spells everything out for you.

There's no way. You think they game was finished as intended? You've seen the cut ending right? The game had no closure. It was unfinished.

BadWolf

There's no way. You think they game was finished as intended? You've seen the cut ending right? The game had no closure. It was unfinished.

The main game is finished.

That "ending" was clearly planned DLC post launch, which didn't happen due to the Konami/Kojima fallout. And even then Kojima had the staff put together a vid so people would know what happened.

MAX PAYMENT

The incoherent story, the cut ending, konami's shift away from AAA games, the firing of kojima and KP, etc. All point to an unfinished game. I don't see how anyone could actually play the game and decide that it's a finished product.

BadWolf

The incoherent story, the cut ending, konami's shift away from AAA games, the firing of kojima and KP, etc. All point to an unfinished game. I don't see how anyone could actually play the game and decide that it's a finished product.

The story is plenty coherent if you think about it and piece it together like you are supposed to. It is presented specifically in such a way so as to have the player piece it together via cutscenes, tapes and gameplay. Aside from being great on it's own it also manages to connect to pretty much all the other games in the series while introducing new characters and themes.

The other games in the series spoon feed it to you via long cutscenes, MGSV doesn't.

MAX PAYMENT

That's true, but I can't help believe that that "strategy" was due to konami's tightening the noose. I'm sure in a few years kojima will tell it all, and I highly doubt it will be pretty.

BadWolf

That's true, but I can't help believe that that "strategy" was due to konami's tightening the noose. I'm sure in a few years kojima will tell it all, and I highly doubt it will be pretty.

Nah, that seems to have always been the intent after the MGS4 complaints. You can also see this in how refined the gameplay is in MGSV, it is easily one of the best playing games to date.

Whatever noose Konami tightened was probably related to censorship. Going by the Paz tapes in Ground Zeroes, Kojima had no intention of holding back. This is of course a problem for Konami since it can limit the game's audience.

Kojima mentioned in an interview that he was envious of movies like Beasts of No Nation because they could show whatever was needed instead of being held back by superiors like he is.

Though this does make things interesting for his next game since he is now his own boss.

BadWolf

How would you know?

Because it's obvious and fits right in with the game's main theme?

Episode
is the "Phantom Episode". It addresses the missing piece (the phantom pain) of the story. It would have basically been the "Chapter 3" equivalent everyone was clamoring for.

It was actually a pretty brilliant idea and including it in the main game would have reduced the impact.

BadWolf

It really isn't obvious.

Episode
51, beyond the 50
The "Phantom Episode"
Recorded dialogue and story complete
Half finished cutscenes
Planned gameplay sequences and boss fights
It's own area

Seems pretty obvious to me that it was planned content in a half finished state.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It was intentional.

This, MGSV is very gameplay focused and the delivery of the story has been adjusted as such.

Good lord Thank you.
I really had a bad start with the game due to the prologue structure

was it welcome and praise at launch?

Erigu

Episode
51, beyond the 50
The "Phantom Episode"
Even if I agreed that there's some kind of rule that states games should always have an even number of levels (or multiples of 5 or whatever) and that an odd number is a clear indication of DLC shenanigans (and I don't), how they ultimately numbered and named that segment doesn't mean much of anything. For all we know, there might have been more episodes leading to that segment that got scrapped, and they just went with those "51" and "Phantom Episode" labels for the sake of clarity when they made the Blu-ray.

Seems pretty obvious to me that it was planned content in a half finished state.
Well, clearly. I was contesting the idea that it was obvious it was meant to be DLC.

MAX PAYMENT

Nah, that seems to have always been the intent after the MGS4 complaints. You can also see this in how refined the gameplay is in MGSV, it is easily one of the best playing games to date.

Whatever noose Konami tightened was probably related to censorship. Going by the Paz tapes in Ground Zeroes, Kojima had no intention of holding back. This is of course a problem for Konami since it can limit the game's audience.

Kojima mentioned in an interview that he was envious of movies like Beasts of No Nation because they could show whatever was needed instead of being held back by superiors like he is.

Though this does make things interesting for his next game since he is now his own boss.

How could any developer, especially one holding a franchise as big as metal gear, decide that doing hours and hours of dialogue tapes that the in-game voices talk right on top of think it was a good idea? There is no way that was the intention.

There's no way they sat in there conference room and said, "hey, this is a good idea."
The terrible design choices have to have been a salvage attempt to put out a decent game given the circumstances konami put them in. Which was probably kojima's fault to begin with by his mismanaged time/funding.

BadWolf

was it welcome and praise at launch?

It reviewed very highly iirc.

Even if I agreed that there's some kind of rule that states games should always have an even number of levels (or multiples of 5 or whatever) and that an odd number is a clear indication of DLC shenanigans (and I don't), how they ultimately numbered and named that segment doesn't mean much of anything. For all we know, there might have been more episodes leading to that segment that got scrapped, and they just went with those "51" and "Phantom Episode" labels for the sake of clarity when they made the Blu-ray.

Well, clearly. I was contesting the idea that it was obvious it was meant to be DLC.

Did you even watch the episode video? There is no need for any lead up segments, it continues off exactly from the set up in the main game after
Eli leaves with the mech. in Ep51 they say they found them and then they go after them.
And this portion happens in an area separate from the main game's locations.

You can dance around the issue all you want but there is more than enough indication that this portion of the game was separated off into it's own thing. The set up and reasoning behind it also makes sense.

Javier23

Banned
You can dance around the issue all you want but there is more than enough indication that this portion of the game was separated off into it's own thing. The set up and reasoning behind it also makes sense.
Nah, you're not conving anyone, I absolutely don't see why it would have been separate from the rest of the game.

BadWolf

Nah, you're not conving anyone, I absolutely don't see why it would have been separate from the rest of the game.

Well, whatever helps people continue to cry about the game being unfinished.

It is the only portion of the story that is missing. It is also self contained and it's delivery would have gone perfectly with the game's main theme.

Erigu

There is no need for any lead up segments
I didn't say there was a need for them, I was just pointing out a possibility. It seems possible to me that multiple missions were planned for that third environment, and the Blu-ray merely focused on the climax of those missions, dubbing it "51" / "the Phantom Episode". Considering how the rest of the game (Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes included) keeps exploiting/recycling the environments for multiple missions and side-ops, and how the fight against Sahelanthropus at the end of chapter 1 was its own mission (here, you'd at least have to reach it first, and the video talks about traps set set by the children in the jungle), it doesn't seem all that outlandish an idea to me.

You can dance around the issue all you want but there is more than enough indication that this portion of the game was separated off into it's own thing.
(How am I dancing around anything, here?)
Just to be clear: I'm not saying it couldn't have been planned to be DLC. I'm saying I disagree it's obvious it was meant to be DLC. Your only actual argument seems to be "it's set in another, separate area", and I don't find it particularly convincing, sorry.

It is the only portion of the story that is missing.
That we know of, anyway.
Actually, that might not even be true: didn't Kojima say something about going back to Camp Omega, at one point?

BadWolf

(How am I dancing around anything, here?)
Just to be clear: I'm not saying it couldn't have been planned to be DLC. I'm saying I disagree it's obvious it was meant to be DLC. Your only actual argument seems to be "it's set in another, separate area", and I don't find it particularly convincing, sorry.

Read my posts, I mentioned more than just "it's set in another, separate area" as my reasoning. It would have had a lot more impact from the story stand point as well.

Also, they already sold one self contained portion of MGSV separately with Ground Zeroes.

Erigu

Read my posts, I mentioned more than just "it's set in another, separate area" as my reasoning.
I said "your only actual argument". ;þ

Also, they already sold one self contained portion of MGSV separately with Ground Zeroes.
Now, that's a fair point.
Still, the video says you're helped by your entire base during the fight, so it doesn't sound like it would have been that self-contained a segment...

I'm an expert

Awesome, ill play it this way too. Unless the other areas in the later game offer something else in the world.

2 questions:

Why do soldiers during an FOB mission have full gear and sometimes not? For this FOB mission I can only gas them or choke them out. They have bullet deflecting armor.

Has anyone here Completed all tasks? This is one of the last trophies I have to earn for my platinum, but it's extremely hard. For the record, I've had the game since day one and have all the good gear with high levels I think.
Any way to kind of exploit this a little or get an advantage you're not supposed to have?

KOMANI

KOMANI
That we know of, anyway.
Actually, that might not even be true: didn't Kojima say something about going back to Camp Omega, at one point?
Correct. We were supposed to return to camp omega, and there were also other locations rumored, such as a state in North America and and South America. 5 locations in total.

Kazuhira

So,what's the current state of MGO? I remember getting disconnected of every match,literally unplayable.
And how's that quiet dlc? is it worth buying?

Considering rebuying , have konami massively screwed the single player grinding ? I would love to start over but nothing means losing a ton of money .

2 questions:

Why do soldiers during an FOB mission have full gear and sometimes not? For this FOB mission I can only gas them or choke them out. They have bullet deflecting armor.

Has anyone here Completed all tasks? This is one of the last trophies I have to earn for my platinum, but it's extremely hard. For the record, I've had the game since day one and have all the good gear with high levels I think.
Any way to kind of exploit this a little or get an advantage you're not supposed to have?

-You dont have to complete all the tasks in one shot.
-Once you complete a task, you can quit the mission and it will count
-Develop the stealth camo stuff, especially the rechargeable one
-The most annoying ones are the ones where you have to listen to all the conversations

Keep in mind this was true back in October when I completed the game with the platinum, I'm not sure if any patches changed this.

Kindekuma

Banned
So,what's the current state of MGO? I remember getting disconnected of every match,literally unplayable.
And how's that quiet dlc? is it worth buying?

I figure it's dead on PC for me at least. I can't instant match for some game modes, just disconnect. Player base is massively dwindling until the weekends, even then its hard to find a full room at times.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked this up in the Japan sale. Been feeling the Metal Gear itch recently, and am looking forward to jumping in. Couple of things I'm curious about:

Nah, you're pretty much looking at just getting a chopper to pick you up or you can simply leave the hotzone in a main mission.

1. It is possible to freely travel around the map (on horseback or in a vehicle) and tackle random missions though, right? I quite like the idea of sticking on a tape for some story exposure or chilling to some music while cruising to the next waypoint.

2. I enjoyed the Mother Base stuff in Peace Walker, so looking forward to a more fleshed out version here. Not so sure about the FOBs and invasions, etc. though. Can that stuff be ignored without missing out on much?

3. Is there anything I should know in general before getting started? General tips for smooth progression and avoiding getting bogged down?

4. I played Ground Zeroes on PS3 but will be playing PP on PS4. I take it the save file bonuses won't carry between gens, so I'd like to know: can you start PP and then upload your GZ save later (unlocking the bonuses retroactively)?

Appreciate any answers/advice!

I'm an expert

Can only answer number one but yea..totally. Youre right that it would be the perfect tape listening time. It can be like a 2-3 minute ride some places so I was just trying to figure out what the point of the size of the world was.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Can only answer number one but yea..totally. Youre right that it would be the perfect tape listening time. It can be like a 2-3 minute ride some places so I was just trying to figure out what the point of the size of the world was.

Cool, thanks. I thought the tapes were a burden in GZ, as it was kind of against your best interest to sit down and listen during a mission. The only alternative was sitting in the menu, and hells naw I'm not gonna spend my limited gaming time using my PS4 like a bedtime story player... Seems like this is one benefit/use of the downtime in PP's open world structure.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Just picked this up in the Japan sale. Been feeling the Metal Gear itch recently, and am looking forward to jumping in. Couple of things I'm curious about:

1. It is possible to freely travel around the map (on horseback or in a vehicle) and tackle random missions though, right? I quite like the idea of sticking on a tape for some story exposure or chilling to some music while cruising to the next waypoint.

2. I enjoyed the Mother Base stuff in Peace Walker, so looking forward to a more fleshed out version here. Not so sure about the FOBs and invasions, etc. though. Can that stuff be ignored without missing out on much?

3. Is there anything I should know in general before getting started? General tips for smooth progression and avoiding getting bogged down?

4. I played Ground Zeroes on PS3 but will be playing PP on PS4. I take it the save file bonuses won't carry between gens, so I'd like to know: can you start PP and then upload your GZ save later (unlocking the bonuses retroactively)?

Appreciate any answers/advice!
1.random Side Ops, yes. You can't engage in random Story missions because Story missions commence once you've selected them in your IDROID.

2. You can totally avoid FOBs. Play offline or don't agree to the online Terms. Fobs allows you to grind less by providing better soldiers, more resources, and more gmp faster.

3. Use Camo. Camo really helps.
Holding Square on D Horse allows D horse to run. A lot assume that you need to continuously tap Square to run.
Listen to tapes that are highlighted and do Side ops (if you ever get stuck at story progression)

4. Yes

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Correct. We were supposed to return to camp omega, and there were also other locations rumored, such as a state in North America and and South America. 5 locations in total.

i wonder if they planned on having any actual events other than side ops on all of the different maps.

my main complaint about what is in the game is that for being warzones there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of war going on. if they were really going to do so many zones it seems like what we did get was more-or-less going to be what we got in the end anyway (as far as the free-roam maps).

Top Bottom