• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEXICO EARTHQUAKE UPDATE: over 200 casualties, 44 building collapsed in Mexico City.

lord

The engineer came and gave the building the ok but I'm staying on the lobby either way, nothing to do upstairs with no power and someone borrowed me a pair of shorts so I'm no longer almost naked. Everyone I know seems fine except for one fried that hasn't replied but I'm hoping for the best.

Nature YAMERO!!!

RIP to the victims. Thankfully I live in Guadalajara where nothing mayor happens but we did get a small quake a year ago while I was at school which to my knowledge its very rare since there was no emergency alarm or any protocol to follow, we all just went outside running but now I'm spooked with the consistence of this earthquakes (and on the day of the anniversary of the previews big one no less).

Oh man, I saw pictures on Reddit of (presumably dead) bodies lying on a sidewalk. And a video on Twitter of an entire building collapsing. :(

RIP to all the victims.

Chaplain

So far all of my family is OK. Waiting to hear from a one more person. Phones are down in main parts, which could explain why we can't reach my cousin. Everyone has been checking in through FB messenge.

Edited

I am really glad to hear your friend is ok.
Such an awful and scary situation.
My heart goes to everyone, and I want everyone to be safe and be careful before going into buildings.
Seeing the videos of entire buildings collapsing without a chance is so frightening.

Thank you you have no idea how close he was

This wasn't a coastal earthquake so there was no warning alarm for this. My wife and her family all live in the city. Her brother works in a hospital and we know from him that some of the building had collapsed but haven't heard from him in a while. He works in paediatrics doing brain surgery. I think he has to account for his patients or something.

I've never experienced earthquakes while I was there, but had to learn the drills and stuff. I hope casualties are as few as can be.

Zasa

Que mierda :( Fuck these earthquakes

RIP to all the victims of this horrible tragedy. Hope MexicoGAF is safe.

That was fucking mental. My apartment is cracked to fuck.

Still, I'm a lot better off than some other people. Hearing some awful stories.

Several buildings have collapsed
People apparently is trapped inside some buildings

Managed to call a friend, he says he is ok, however, he gave me a point I did not consider

The earthquake started very strong, people might have been paralyzed by the fear or unable to move outside, it's not a matter of "why they didn't leave the building", it's just that it was so sudden that people might have not thought what to do

According to some news, the damage is still being calculated, let's hope everything turns out ok

AdanVC

Fuck this was heavy. I don't live in Mexico City but I have a friend that lives there and she hasn't tweeted since the earthquake happened. I just send her a message hoping she is ok :(

I'm hearing that there was some form of alarm, thankfully.

My mother-in-law could barely walk to get out of the building as it was happening.

Seeing all those volunteers trying to search the rubble is bringing tears to my eyes.

All my family members are okay. The zone where I live wasn't affected at all. My cousin's car got crushed by a house that collapsed at his job but he's okay. I'm at home because I got a surgery and will attend my job until next week, I guess. There are two schools near my house so the streets got pretty busy because of parents checking out their kids. Everything seems disturbingly normal despite reading all these tweets. I wonder at what time we'll get the power back.

I'm hearing that there was some form of alarm, thankfully.

My mother-in-law could barely walk to get out of the building as it was happening.

Seeing all those volunteers trying to search the rubble is bringing tears to my eyes.

I live 3 floors up and the stairwell is open plan and full of glass.

I wait out the earthquakes and then go outside. Not sure if it's the best plan but seems safer. Pretty modern apartment complex.

I live 3 floors up and the stairwell is open plan and full of glass.

I wait out the earthquakes and then go outside. Not sure if it's the best plan but seems safer. Pretty modern apartment complex.

Yeah, my wife went to the highschool in marsella, and knows the area by you. Stay safe dude.

HardRojo

RIP to all the victims.
We've been having small aftershocks here in Lima (Peru) during the last week, I can't imagine what would happen here in a similar situation as Mexico.

My thoughts are with you. Was having dinner with my wife celebrating our anniversary in London. Next to us was a couple. We chatted to them and they were from Mexico. They were really worried.

Prayers to you all over there.

JMTHEFOX

Yikes, this is so heartbreaking.... :(

Condolences to those who were affected by the earthquake. Please stay strong Mexico.

Top Bottom