• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

At work and I'm staring at both versions and I can't decide which one I'm going to take home tonight.

Everyone is saying that the PS3 versions frame rate has been improved since the demo but does the retail 360 version still run better? There's a part of me that wants to grab it for PS3 just because of the whole Yakuza games on PS3 thing, as this will look nice alongside Kenzan/3/4/Dead Souls. But if I have the chance at little to no drops in frame rate I'd rather get on that.

What say you people who have played both retail versions?

360 version runs smooth most of the time. The spider boss seems to be a problem on both consoles. Someone mentioned 3 fps in the battle for the PS3 version. I can say that the 360 version never gets this bad.

Yuterald

3FPS during some scenarios on the PS3 version? I'm sure the PS3 version doesn't perform as well as the 360 version, but that sounds like you are blowing things out of proportion.

JoeFenix

3FPS during some scenarios on the PS3 version? I'm sure the PS3 version doesn't perform as well as the 360 version, but that sounds like you are blowing things out of proportion.

From what I've seen it's not as bad as Dark Souls Blightown but it's definitely sub 20fps in parts.

It's playable but you'll notice it, I'm still getting the PS3 version!

Not going to pull numbers out of my ass, but the
Spider
boss definitely dropped the framerate from choppy to painful. It sure looked impressive, though.

So far it's been pretty fun - not great, but ok. The squadmates do tend to get in my way and the dialogue is... uh, let's just say that it's not going to win any awards for either originality or execution. The frequent long-winded exposition/team-building scenes are also getting on my nerves; less slow walking, more shooting. I was slightly disappointed to find out that only the assault rifle can be upgraded, but I guess some upgrading is better than none.

I'm complaining a lot, but I still like the somewhat original setting and shooting limbs off robots (even though headshotting seems like the best way to earn credits?). I picked this up as a quick snack before SSX slurps up my gaming time, and it seems to do the job.

Teknoman

Alright finally made a decision. SSX for PS3 and Binary Domain for 360.

Hopefully everything works smooth so me and 3 others can blow up some scrapheads.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not going to pull numbers out of my ass, but the
Spider
boss definitely dropped the framerate from choppy to painful. It sure looked impressive, though.

So far it's been pretty fun - not great, but ok. The squadmates do tend to get in my way and the dialogue is... uh, let's just say that it's not going to win any awards for either originality or execution. The frequent long-winded exposition/team-building scenes are also getting on my nerves; less slow walking, more shooting. I was slightly disappointed to find out that only the assault rifle can be upgraded, but I guess some upgrading is better than none.

I'm complaining a lot, but I still like the somewhat original setting and shooting limbs off robots (even though headshotting seems like the best way to earn credits?). I picked this up as a quick snack before SSX slurps up my gaming time, and it seems to do the job.
Which chapter does the spider boss show up in? I'm flipping through PS3 footage now and want to find that segment. What I've seen thus far has been very smooth and nothing like the demo.

dark10x

I didn't know anything about this game until quintendo's thread. I have to say, it kind of caught my interest. Don't really care one way or the other for the gameplay I've seen, but the premise looks entertaining.

Which chapter does the spider boss show up in? I'm flipping through PS3 footage now and want to find that segment. What I've seen thus far has been very smooth and nothing like the demo.

Pretty soon after the first demo section, so... umm, chapter 2 maybe?

I'm the guy who's not happy until all games with any amount of action run at 60 fps or more (not even kidding, stop hurting my eyes), but the framerate during shooting sections has been mostly in line with what you'd expect from this kind of game. Explosions and big action scenes bring it down.

panda21

I wonder how this is doing in Japan, I saw quite a lot of advertising for it when I was there but I had no idea what it was at the time.

dark10x

Pretty soon after the first demo section, so... umm, chapter 2 maybe?

I'm the guy who's not happy until all games with any amount of action run at 60 fps or more (not even kidding, stop hurting my eyes), but the framerate during shooting sections has been mostly in line with what you'd expect from this kind of game. Explosions and big action scenes bring it down.
I'm actually with you 100%, but unfortunately the reality is that it just isn't possible.

For me, these days, I just demand consistency MOST of the time. The occasional dip when something huge blows up is acceptable, but constant drops while playing ruin the experience.

theDeeDubs

Word. Just got a shipping notice from Amazon. Looks like release date shipping afterall. I can't help but think releasing this close to ME3 is a bad idea. A few weeks before might have gotten a few people looking to scratch that itch to jump, but one week before might have them waiting for a pricedrop.

Yuterald

I'm actually with you 100%, but unfortunately the reality is that it just isn't possible.

For me, these days, I just demand consistency MOST of the time. The occasional dip when something huge blows up is acceptable, but constant drops while playing ruin the experience.

For action games like Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. 60FPS is pretty much a must or it's not very respectable. Third person shooters, like Binary Domain, don't HAVE to be 60FPS. It would be nice, but 30FPS is respectable, in my opinion.

Whatever though, I'm not one of those frame rate nazis. Even if the 360 version runs better I couldn't justify playing a Team Yakuza title on anything but a Playstation. It just doesn't feel right to me (plus I don't even own a 360 anymore).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Word. Just got a shipping notice from Amazon. Looks like release date shipping afterall. I can't help but think releasing this close to ME3 is a bad idea. A few weeks before might have gotten a few people looking to scratch that itch to jump, but one week before might have them waiting for a pricedrop.

Sega also release Yakuza 3 the same day as FF 13.

They do this shit ALL the time. On purpose.

FLEABttn

Banned

The signs seem to point to that not making a difference, but I don't put much stock into the notion that all games are equivalent substitute goods, especially so when we're talking rather unrelated games that are a week apart.

been playing the PS3 version for a good hour now, amazingly interesting characters and the world itself :p

i also recommend you start on Hard right away, makes fighting against the goddamn terminators all the more intense.

and yeah, its a shame there is zero marketing and i haven't seen any reviews online either. None of my friends even know about the game and i'm trying to hype them up by promising great drama, mass-effect-level consequences and tight scifi action with a story on the values of humanity! who could not get excited!?

d0c_zaius

been playing the PS3 version for a good hour now, amazingly interesting characters and the world itself :p

i also recommend you start on Hard right away, makes fighting against the goddamn terminators all the more intense.

any issues with the port?

specifically frame rate and screen tearing

dreamfall

I think I'm going PS3! It would feel strange to not play a Nagoshi title with the Dualshock. Majima would've scoffed if I chose otherwise...

God damn gamefly didn't send out the game for me. Will have to swing by a shop and pick it up tomorrow then. So what is the consensus, 360 or ps3?

any issues with the port?

None so far. I'm not too picky about framerate myself. Not a solid framerate but far from unplayable. There is a mandatory install though. But they went the extra mile to make the install-screen atleast a little interactive :D

Highly recommend the game.

CAVE343

Minor nitpicking: I have a feeling Dan holds his assault rifle to low when zooming in, like he's not looking through the holographic/red dot sight. Kinda bothers me lol

KTallguy

Banned
Anyone know what the language options are on the versions? Like can you switch EVERYTHING to Japanese or just the subtitles and voice?

Anyone know what the language options are on the versions? Like can you switch EVERYTHING to Japanese or just the subtitles and voice?

The western version of the game is multilanguage from top to bottom. americans speak english, japanese speak japanese and so on. excellent voicework.

I didnt notice any language options. But apparently you can speak japanese as voice commands if you so wish.

edit:
as such, and as the characters themselves are from different nationalities, the western version is the way to go to get the true directors vision instead of the dubbed japanese version. you'll know it as soon as you play it, theres a lot of that "stupid yanks come to japan to make a mess" dialogue etc.

dummydecoy

Oh God, the ps3 frame rate from that vid is awful. What a disappointment. I'm sadly gonna pass. Every time I play a PS3 game that drops major frame rate I just get frustrated. RDR, Asscreeds, Darksiders, Enslaved, etc., all unhealthy experiences I don't want to go through again. I wish all devs optimize as well as SSM/ND. :(

That's because it works. Yakuza 3 sold decently in the US, and much better than part 4.

When are people going to start understanding that this strategy works, just like in the music industry where labels will release bands in similar genres on the same day? There's a point to it, backed up by sales data.

duckroll

That's because it works. Yakuza 3 sold decently in the US, and much better than part 4.

When are people going to start understanding that this strategy works, just like in the music industry where labels will release bands in similar genres on the same day? There's a point to it, backed up by sales data.

I dunno what Sega's expectations were, but if Yakuza 3 sold "decently" in the US, then those expectations must be super duper low. In which case, the strategy you're talking about wouldn't apply to any title which Sega would want to sell more of. Lol.

I dunno what Sega's expectations were, but if Yakuza 3 sold "decently" in the US, then those expectations must be super duper low. In which case, the strategy you're talking about wouldn't apply to any title which Sega would want to sell more of. Lol.

It sold well enough to get them to bring over Y4 and Dead Souls, so I don't know if that's really 'lol' worthy.

duckroll

Well, it sold good enough to get them to bring Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Dead Souls over, so clearly there wasn't the disaster you make it out to be...

That's a very poor argument. Like I said, it could definitely have met their expectations, but those were LOW expectations. I actually know how much Yakuza sold in the US. The numbers are not comparable at all to something which would actually have high expectations. Sega has specifically said that for Binary Domain, they are hoping it will be a worldwide success on the same level as Bayonetta. That is very different from comparing it with a series which Sega considers a purely domestic series, with western releases being shat out a year after the Japanese release without an English voice track. Apples and Oranges.

That's a very poor argument. Like I said, it could definitely have met their expectations, but those were LOW expectations. I actually know how much Yakuza sold in the US. The numbers are not comparable at all to something which would actually have high expectations. Sega has specifically said that for Binary Domain, they are hoping it will be a worldwide success on the same level as Bayonetta. That is very different from comparing it with a series which Sega considers a purely domestic series, with western releases being shat out a year after the Japanese release without an English voice track. Apples and Oranges.

What does any of that have to do with my original point? I never compared Yakuza to BD. I said there was a point to releasing Yakuza on the same day as FFXIII, and that there is usually a point to that kind of release.

duckroll

What does any of that have to do with my original point? I never compared Yakuza to BD. I said there was a point to releasing Yakuza on the same day as FFXIII. That was it. Jesus.

Sure, I'll agree with that. It doesn't matter when they release Yakuza at all, because it wouldn't be hard for the small amount of fans who do care about the series in the US to buy it regardless of when it is released. I'm just saying, it's not a "strategy" but it just happens that that's when they released it.

Sure, I'll agree with that. It doesn't matter when they release Yakuza at all, because it wouldn't be hard for the small amount of fans who do care about the series in the US to buy it regardless of when it is released. I'm just saying, it's not a "strategy" but it just happens that that's when they released it.

Well, I guess we'll disagree that it's not a 'strategy.' Do you think SEGA just throws a dart at a calendar? It's because they know there will be fans of that genre IN THE STORE that day (again, just like the music industry), and that doing so will get their game some free exposure that it otherwise wouldn't have (i.e. commercials, promotions, etc).

duckroll

Well, I guess we'll disagree that it's not a 'strategy.' Do you think SEGA just throws a dart at a calendar? It's because they know there will be fans of that genre IN THE STORE that day (again, just like the music industry), and that doing so will get their game some free exposure that it otherwise wouldn't have (i.e. commercials, promotions, etc).

Considering how shitty Sega's marketing is in general, I'll say they just don't do their job very well, and most of their sales are reflective of that. We can agree to disagree though. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How much is lost if you play without a microphone? I really don't want to have to yell commands while playing.

Carcetti

I gotta add my good word for this game. Didn't have much expectations either way, and it was a positive surprise. The single player campaign keeps diverse and interesting from start to finish and even shooting the basic enemy type to death doesn't get old due to way they break up. The few QTE pieces are pretty bad though and the microphone voice command thing is something best left forgotten.

you go away and go play f-zero gx for penance, this is the binary domain "is clearly superior" thread being a japanese game and bru bru skies hornet you guys.

enjoy your running and utterly 100% pointless dialogue trees. not to mention all the missing character facial textures, hackneyed combat, and some frame tearing. but it's co-op! WOAHHHHHH XBOX

i'll be blasting binary bots and getting to know the masterfully created characters team yakuza creates time and time again.

i can't wait to pick up my copy and make fun of mass effect when i go into the store. it's the gamestop darling game and i love seeing their faces be like "what?!"

i'd be more then happy if this thread turns into a binary is way better then massive effect thread.

tomorrow in the AM! SHEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT

Riposte

you go away and go play f-zero gx for penance, this is the binary domain "is clearly superior" thread being a japanese game and bru bru skies hornet you guys.

enjoy your running and utterly 100% pointless dialogue trees. not to mention all the missing character facial textures, hackneyed combat, and some frame tearing. but it's co-op! WOAHHHHHH XBOX

i'll be blasting binary bots and getting to know the masterfully created characters team yakuza creates time and time again.

i can't wait to pick up my copy and make fun of mass effect when i go into the store. it's the gamestop darling game and i love seeing their faces be like "what?!"

i'd be more then happy if this thread turns into a binary is way better then massive effect thread.

tomorrow in the AM! SHEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT

Can't wait until someone makes a metacritic score comparison post and the salt flows.

Top Bottom