• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

One of my friends reckons that by jailbreaking you can just log onto a 'jailbreak' app store and download any paid app free

I realise you can basically just torrent any app and install like any other jailbroken app illegally, but just so I can shut this idiot down, he's wrong right?

I hope so. Sucks to think that pirates would be that organised.

rezuth

teacupcopter said:
One of my friends reckons that by jailbreaking you can just log onto a 'jailbreak' app store and download any paid app free

I realise you can basically just torrent any app and install like any other jailbroken app illegally, but just so I can shut this idiot down, he's wrong right?

Is this one of those hidden "I have a question but I'll disguise it as a friend being stupid" kind of things?

Either way, I don't think its allowed to talk about this.

Gaaraz

He's not wrong, but for obvious reasons I won't mention the name of it (to be honest even if I wanted to, I can't remember the name, but I think it requires some messing about to get it working)

ant3b

Anastacio said:
Does anyone know what I'll do here? =)
It's crucial so others in the area can't get access to all my informations on the phone.

Just got this reply in the iPhone 4 thread.

So I have installed MobileTerminal on my iPhone 4 (jailbroken 4.0.1) but whenever I click on the app, it starts up and then instantly quits. What's up with that? =/

Another thing is this, I got the same theme but have the 'Slide to Unlock' text written on top of it, how do I get rid of this?

how do i get this lockscreen.. Please share

rezuth said:
Is this one of those hidden "I have a question but I'll disguise it as a friend being stupid" kind of things?

Either way, I don't think its allowed to talk about this.

No :) I promise. Trust me I'm more than capable of pirating stuff, I'm just against it on principle (to the point of spending way too much money on steam games that I don't need that most people I know pirate :()

I'm just lazy, like I said I already mentioned that I know you can pirate shit (Everyone knows this) but I just didn't suspect that the jailbreaking scene could be so organised. It's depressing, really. A new market finally pops up for indie gaming and people work so hard to destroy it, a lot of the coding going into the warez scene could be going towards much more noble things.

I do realise now that you mentioned it that my post does look suss though, I promise that it's not :) Either way I'm not really fussed, it was a stupid argument with my friend anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone here use roqybluetooth and can recommend one of the compatible hardware?

teacupcopter said:
No :) I promise. Trust me I'm more than capable of pirating stuff, I'm just against it on principle (to the point of spending way too much money on steam games that I don't need that most people I know pirate :()

I'm just lazy, like I said I already mentioned that I know you can pirate shit (Everyone knows this) but I just didn't suspect that the jailbreaking scene could be so organised. It's depressing, really. A new market finally pops up for indie gaming and people work so hard to destroy it, a lot of the coding going into the warez scene could be going towards much more noble things.

I do realise now that you mentioned it that my post does look suss though, I promise that it's not :) Either way I'm not really fussed, it was a stupid argument with my friend anyway.
http://torrentfreak.com/hackulous-iphone-pirates-dont-hurt-jailbreakings-image-100801/

Charred Greyface said:

Oh I know that, he was specifically saying that there was a pirated app store, which I doubted because it would mean jailbreakers would have been so organised + who would even pay for bandwidth?, I get the whole to and fro argument on piracy, and while GAF is a bit touchy on the whole thing I don't really participate in it myself.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
teacupcopter said:

:lol

Ashhong

while being as vague as possible, your friend is 100% right and its one of the easiest things ever. at least, based on what i have seen on my friends iphone

th3dude

caliblue15 said:
moving on.... 4.1 comes out today, how long before a jailbreak is released? 5 hours? 1 day? 1 week?
Hopefully soon. I've deemed 4.1 as my first jailbreak so I'm anxiously waiting

caliblue15 said:
moving on.... 4.1 comes out today, how long before a jailbreak is released? 5 hours? 1 day? 1 week?
unknown. couple weeks max. I'd guess a few days on the low end.

the unlock will take quite a bit longer, so those using a different carrier may have to way quite awhile.

Dreams-Visions said:
unknown. couple weeks max. I'd guess a few days on the low end.

the unlock will take quite a bit longer, so those using a different carrier may have to way quite awhile.

Should only take 2-3 days max.

okno

sn1pes said:
Hopefully soon. I've deemed 4.1 as my first jailbreak so I'm anxiously waiting

It'll most likely be easier for you to jailbreak 4.1 from a jailbroken 4.0/4.01, honestly. Considering all you have to do is go to jailbreakme.com, I would just do it now to be on the safe side.

*waits with a zen-like patience*

I love my phone as-is too much to be worried about this. when the break comes, it comes. I'm much to happy with my iPhone as-is. aside from the proximity issue, it's perfect.

godspeed, DevTeam.

th3dude

okno said:
It'll most likely be easier for you to jailbreak 4.1 from a jailbroken 4.0/4.01, honestly. Considering all you have to do is go to jailbreakme.com, I would just do it now to be on the safe side.

I'm on 4.0.2.

enzo_gt said:
Game Center :(

I'm fairly new to this. When 4.1 gets jailbroken, will the process for current jailbreakers to upgrade to the official firmware and then jailbreak again?

I ask because I'd hate to lose all of my settings...as I'm sure most would.

dyls

Tunesmith said:
Used to be an avid jber with my 3G and 3GS phones but had held off on jbing my 4. A few days ago I did a jailbreak on my fresh 4.0.1 phone just because and even with just Cydia there was a really noticeable increase in latency when just opening and closing apps, such a shame on a iPhone 4. Dont understand how people can say there is no noticable decrease in speed.

Restored back to 4.0.1 and immediately the phone was as snappy as ever. Upgraded to 4.1 and the phone feels even faster, really quite jarring. This last bit might be placebo though.

The HDR functionality I quite nice too, will allow me to use one less app (HDR Pro) going forward. Don't think I'll be jumping on the jb bandwagon again anytime soon even if 4.1 is broken within days. :(

Weird, I haven't noticed any change in speed, and I have a lot more than just Cydia on my phone. I've avoided Winterboard though.

So...4.1 has been released. Any word on when we can expect the jailbreak? It's so tough to not download a new firmware.

hEist

dyls said:
Weird, I haven't noticed any change in speed, and I have a lot more than just Cydia on my phone. I've avoided Winterboard though.

So...4.1 has been released. Any word on when we can expect the jailbreak? It's so tough to not download a new firmware.

a couple days.
they found a whole in bootrom.

Posted this in the iPhone 4 OT, coz I didn't know this thread has been created.

VZ4Ws.png

You have to know that this is happening via a bootrom exploit which isn't patchable with a firmware update but a hardware revision.

Update:
PmucX.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is there a way for me to upgrade from 4.0.1 jailbroken to 4.1 jailbroken without me being required to delete all my cydia apps and reinstall them afterwards? And I'm not talking about using AptBackup and stuff.

EDIT: When the jailbreak comes out, ofcourse.

enzo_gt said:
Is there a way for me to upgrade from 4.0.1 jailbroken to 4.1 jailbroken without me being required to delete all my cydia apps and reinstall them afterwards? And I'm not talking about using AptBackup and stuff.

EDIT: When the jailbreak comes out, ofcourse.
I would also like to know this. Is there a easy way to update?

Dunlop

Very new to the whole jailbreaking scene..damn there are some awesome utilities.

My understanding is that I cannot run terminal under iOS4 (it opens then just closes). Is there another way to connect to the Ipod via SSH so I can change the root password?

thanks

Dunlop

teacupcopter said:

Tell your "friend" that this is correct, I have literally spent about 30 minutes with jailbreaking and know how to do this.

But if we are at the point where we need to illegally download $1 or $5 application, we shouldn't be forking out hundreds of dollars on a iphone/ipod

Blackhead

Redarse
Dunlop said:
Very new to the whole jailbreaking scene..damn there are some awesome utilities.

My understanding is that I cannot run terminal under iOS4 (it opens then just closes). Is there another way to connect to the Ipod via SSH so I can change the root password?

thanks
There is a beta version of Terminal that runs on the iOS4 (i think).

If you install Rockapp on the iPod it can help you change the password very easily. You may use Terminal on a Mac while both the computer and iPod are on the same WiFi network. You can also buy iSSH ($5) form the Appstore, or any similar app really, and then use that on the iPod.

hitsugi

Dunlop said:
Tell your "friend" that this is correct, I have literally spent about 30 minutes with jailbreaking and know how to do this.

But if we are at the point where we need to illegally download $1 or $5 application, we shouldn't be forking out hundreds of dollars on a iphone/ipod

or around $100 / mo just to use the damn thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
Dunlop said:
But if we are at the point where we need to illegally download $1 or $5 application song, we shouldn't be forking out hundreds of dollars on a iphone/ipod

Apple built their iPod and iTunes business and, indirectly, the iTunes store, on precisely that. Just saying.

OK. A couple of reasons to know about and use the Hackulous route:

Good/Reasonable
Downloading versions of an app you own.
Getting free applications already removed by Apple from the AppStore.

Grey Area
Trialing apps that don't offer free and/or lite versions.
Getting paid apps you were unable to purchase before Apple removed them from the Appstore.

Bad
Getting paid apps you have no intention of paying for.

Sidenote: If you steal an app and then proceed to bother a developer for support you're going to burn in a special level of hell. The level of hell they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Now can we draw a line under this and continue the jailbreak thread like usual?

Dunlop

Charred Greyface said:
Now can we draw a line under this and continue the jailbreak thread like usual?

:D I don't want delve into the morality of piracy

The post I quoted said specifically for the use of piracy.

Thank for the help on my previous post (everyone who PM'd me also), I will try it out when I am at home tonight

AVclub

So I have a 3GS which had 3.1.2 on it and was jailbroken. I loved my SBSettings and Winterboard but my battery started draining super quick after a recent update. So, rather than troublshooting and uninstalling apps, I just decided to upgrade to 4.1 and not worry about jailbreaking it for now.

The new features are really nice, but I already miss my SBSettings and the customizeability of the interface.

I've read somewhere that Apple will be banning jailbroken phones somehow, using this new 4.1 firmware. Does anyone have any further info about this? Or is it just a silly rumor?

Anarchistry

Not true, as far as I understand. By purchasing the product you agree to their terms of use. However, the "banning" may actually just be 4.1 breaking the jailbreak.

NekoFever

Dunlop said:
AFAIK jailbreaking was deemed legal in the US, so I don't see how apple would be able to ban you.
Apple still has the right to ban you from using its services. It just can't sue you or the jailbreak creators.

Piano

Banned
I don't have an iOS device, but I'd love to see a thread like the Android customizations one one where people show off how they've customized / added new functionality to their iOS devices after jailbreaking. Is it easy enough to take screenshots of a jailbroken device?

Anarchistry

TheEastonator said:
I don't have an iOS device, but I'd love to see a thread like the Android customizations one one where people show off how they've customized / added new functionality to their iOS devices after jailbreaking. Is it easy enough to take screenshots of a jailbroken device?

Incredibly easy actually. I like this idea.

caliblue15 said:
Except an Iphone wouldn't function then....
I don't quite understand your point...

LegoDad

Anarchistry said:
Incredibly easy actually. I like this idea.

I don't quite understand your point...

Apple couldn't make your cell phone not work, just because it is jailbroken, because it is legal. By banning the device from Itunes, I can't activate/use the phone, therefore illegal.

Anarchistry

caliblue15 said:
Apple couldn't make your cell phone not work, just because it is jailbroken, because it is legal. By banning the device from Itunes, I can't activate/use the phone, therefore illegal.
I gotcha. I think all they could do from a legal stand point is deactivate the phone part of it, making it, effectively, an iPod touch. I'm not sure they can just brick it.
I could be talking out of my ass though.

Top Bottom