• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

hitsugi

If the initial jailbreak / unlock is done with tethering, then it's just like nearly every other one.. but if you have to constantly redo it, then it becomes a bit of a hassle. What's the reasoning behind that?

I have a quick question for ya all jailbreaking peeps.

I just got an used iPhone 2G (3.1.3). I'd like to hide (rather than completely remove) the official iPhone apps. Is there anything on Cydia that could help me in this case? Putting all apps inside one folder would also be an acceptable solution.

ridley182 said:

I just got an used iPhone 2G (3.1.3). I'd like to hide (rather than completely remove) the official iPhone apps. Is there anything on Cydia that could help me in this case? Putting all apps inside one folder would also be an acceptable solution.
Poof. it actually comes with SBSettings now.

open SBSettings and look for Poof directly. If it's not listed (I can't remember), it'll be in the options menu. you simply select the apps you want hidden and poof...they're gone.

Dreams-Visions said:
Poof. it actually comes with SBSettings now.

open SBSettings and look for Poof directly. If it's not listed (I can't remember), it'll be in the options menu. you simply select the apps you want hidden and poof...they're gone.
Sweet, thanks!

hirokazu

ridley182 said:

You can use Poof or SBSettings to hide apps.

enzo_gt said:
I smell hyperbole.
Somewhat. I'll say it's absolutely dreadful on iPhone 3G, which turned me off Cydia for years. I guess on 4 it's not that bad, I hate all the delays after installing something though.

Oni Jazar

Yesterday my iPhone 4 stopped finding the AT&T network. I get a "No Service" message where the signal bar should be.

I tried restarting the phone. I tried the "Reset Network Settings" option. I tried re-seating the SIM card. All with no luck. My account looks to be in good standing on att.com.

Anyone have any ideas?

khan

Hi all, I have recently bought an iPhone 4 which came with 4.0.2. Is there a way to jailbreak it?

Thanks

th3dude

What's the beat way to keep on up info regarding the new 4.1 jb? Is there a particular person on twitter or a blog? The wait is killing me :)

hitsugi

sn1pes said:
What's the beat way to keep on up info regarding the new 4.1 jb? Is there a particular person on twitter or a blog? The wait is killing me :)

strangely enough, the blog seems to be telling people to stay at 4.0.2 and that a jailbreak for 4.1 could be 3+ months away lol.

khan

Hi again, my iphone 4 is locked to vodafone but i mainly o2 so is there any way to unlock the iphone 4? Do you think that any local phone shops would be able to unlock it? Thanks

hirokazu

Oni Jazar said:
Yesterday my iPhone 4 stopped finding the AT&T network. I get a "No Service" message where the signal bar should be.

I tried restarting the phone. I tried the "Reset Network Settings" option. I tried re-seating the SIM card. All with no luck. My account looks to be in good standing on att.com.

Anyone have any ideas?
Well best to check if the SIM card is working on another phone (and preferably have another AT&T SIM card to test on your iPhone) to isolate it to either a problem with the SIM or AT&T side of things, or a problem with the iPhone.

okno

So, I just redownloaded SBSettings to give it another go and now it works perfectly, but when did they remove the "airplane mode" option from the settings? I put my phone into airplane mode all the time (whenever I'm on the subway, which is often) and that is kind of the reason I wanted to use SBSettings. I've dug through all of the options and can't find a way to add it to the springboard.

Blackhead

Redarse
okno said:
So, I just redownloaded SBSettings to give it another go and now it works perfectly, but when did they remove the "airplane mode" option from the settings? I put my phone into airplane mode all the time (whenever I'm on the subway, which is often) and that is kind of the reason I wanted to use SBSettings. I've dug through all of the options and can't find a way to add it to the springboard.
SBSettings Toggles Explained A Bit
I really get a lot of email on sbsettings toggles so I think I will try to clarify a few things:

1. SBSettings does not now nor has it ever had an airplane mode toggle. Instead, it has a phone toggle and a Wi-Fi toggle. To achieve something similar to airplane, simply turn off phone and turn off Wi-Fi. Whether or not you see the plane symbol in status bar is irrelevant. This was a side effect of how this worked in previous firmwares. In iOS4, you no longer see that symbol. Instead you see no service. What more would you expect when turning off phone? Other than the symbol not showing up, it’s the same as it was. The internal function call used is even the same. No, this should not cause additional battery drain.
  2. ...

giga

hitsugi said:
strangely enough, the blog seems to be telling people to stay at 4.0.2 and that a jailbreak for 4.1 could be 3+ months away lol.
Excellent. Might as well release it for 4.2 instead.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Hey everyone... I have an issue

I want to update my phone to 3.1 3 or something like that so I can update my NFL superfan but I don't want to lose my texts and songs and everything I have on here. Is there anyway to keep my jailbreak and everything I have now or a way to back up my phone on a comp that wasn't used when I originally linked my phone. (ex girlfriend has that laptop)

Blackhead

Redarse
Oni Jazar said:
OMG you just solved my "no service" problem! I noticed SBSetting had an icon with a plane on it and thought that was odd given your description. Clicked on it and got my phone service again!

Thanks for the ideas Hiro.
Some SBSettings themes give the phone toggle an airplane icon.

Enzom21

Malleymal said:
Hey everyone... I have an issue

I want to update my phone to 3.1 3 or something like that so I can update my NFL superfan but I don't want to lose my texts and songs and everything I have on here. Is there anyway to keep my jailbreak and everything I have now or a way to back up my phone on a comp that wasn't used when I originally linked my phone. (ex girlfriend has that laptop)
You text messages are backup in itunes every time you sync, but you can always right click your phone in itunes and have it do a manual backup. To get your music off of the phone use iPhone explorer http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ and navigate to /root/var/mobile/media/iTunes_Control/ copy the "music" folder to your computer and just add that to your itunes.

Dunlop

It just occured to me that with my phone jailbroken I no longer need the malware that is the ITunes software to upload my MP3's and Videos. I dread every update of that PoS software.

Any recomendations? I used to use Media Monkey for my Sansa player

Also is there any way to keep Itunes on without it auto syncing for when I need to purchase stuff? If not I'll just buy directly to my ipod and call it a day

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
butter_stick said:
Somewhat. I'll say it's absolutely dreadful on iPhone 3G, which turned me off Cydia for years. I guess on 4 it's not that bad, I hate all the delays after installing something though.
Maybe cause I'm on 3GS it isn't horrendous, and is a pretty smooth sailing experience. Extra RAM helps.

Arcipello

a friend of mine purchased an iphone 4 via ebay from the UK and had it shipped over to sweden, its actually locked to Vodaphone but he hope that a jailbreak can fix that..... is he waisting his time hoping for that? or is there an easier and faster way to do it?

hEist

Arcipello said:
a friend of mine purchased an iphone 4 via ebay from the UK and had it shipped over to sweden, its actually locked to Vodaphone but he hope that a jailbreak can fix that..... is he waisting his time hoping for that? or is there an easier and faster way to do it?

what software is on it? 4.1? 4.0.1?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
enzom21 said:
You text messages are backup in itunes every time you sync, but you can always right click your phone in itunes and have it do a manual backup. To get your music off of the phone use iPhone explorer http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ and navigate to /root/var/mobile/media/iTunes_Control/ copy the "music" folder to your computer and just add that to your itunes.

Thanks bro.. I will look at this later on. appreciated

LegoDad

Delete if old..
Two of the biggest non-Apple App Stores – Cydia and Rock.app – with one common goal: to provide users with the best apps for jailbroken iPhones, iPads and iPod touches have decided to merge for the best interest of the community.

After 18 months in the iOS Jailbreak scene Rock of [Rock Your Phone] has been acquired by SaurikIT (makers of Cydia) and over the next few days we will be moving all products/users/licenses over to Cydia Store.

Today, in a post on Cydia, founder Jay ‘Saurik’ Freeman writes:

The key thing to realize is that Intelliborn, the company that brought you such products as IntelliScreen and MyWi, are the same developers who created Rock Your iPhone.

Unfortunately, due to some early miscommunication, rather than us being in a position where we were cooperating on platforms like Cydia, we ended up spending most of our time competing with each other over the course of the last two years.

This was not good: Rock ended up wasting a ton of effort implementing Cydia, while SaurikIT got dragged into an "apps battle" to compete with the Rock exclusives from Intelliborn.

The primary goal of this new world, then, is to put everyone "back on task", with a true collaboration rather than this incessant competition.

While Rock Your Phone CEO/Founder Mario Ciabarra says,

It’s been a fun ride. We set out to change the landscape and I think we were very successful. I think we contributed to attracting more business professionals to the iPhone jailbreak community, and added some great functionality to the platform. The current transaction with Cydia is a great opportunity for us. We’re going to miss some of the excitement, but no reason for anyone to worry. I, personally, will be spending even more time in Intelliborn apps development (both existing and exciting new projects). A few months ago, Jay and I sat down together and we realized, I enjoyed making apps more (and was better at it), while Jay enjoys providing platform functionality. It was a win-win for both groups and we’re excited about the transition.

Folks at “Rock Your Phone” also had some interesting fun facts to share:

Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) – Wow that is a lot of places!
Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
Users who said screw it and installed a hacked version instead: 38 billion (please send us $1)
Total Rock Your Phone Store Sales (March 12th, 2009 – September 2010): $3.3+ million
Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9

So what this merger means is that Rock.app will soon be closed. In the next 10 days, all of Rock.apps data will be shifted to Cydia Store which includes your backups, purchased apps and of course all the themes/apps which were previously found in Rock.

Many people preferred Rock.app’s user experience over Cydia’s technical thoroughness, but whatever your choice was for the past 18 months, you’ll now have only one App Store for all jailbroken iOS devices: Cydia!

Neverfade

Edit: Figured it out.

For those who also may be confused: Before updating SlantedLock, settings > safari > databases > edit >delete SlantedLock cache.

Yay.

LogicStep

There is a link on the op that tells you how to downgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 did anyone try it? Does it work so that you can jailbreak it afterwards? I was in the middle of downloading the firmwares but the power went out.

Never mind, I was working on and I read the last bit talking about the update and says it doesn't work... great =\

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Can anyone help me? I backed up my phone on this laptop and when I updated my phone from 3.1 to 4.0.1 on this comp It only lets me restore a backup named unknown and that has nothing in it... I see two folders in the directory that holds the backup with my texts and all, but my backup doesnt have "my name's Iphone" like i had it named before, just some "unknown" option as backup and that has nothing on it. Anyone can help?

Pachimari

Is there any way to remove OpenSSH on the iPhone 4?
Btw, my battery has been extremely bad, even draining while being locked yesterday. How come? All of a sudden it drains. I haven't even installed anything new from Cydia, only OpenSSH.

LegoDad

Anastacio said:
Is there any way to remove OpenSSH on the iPhone 4?
Btw, my battery has been extremely bad, even draining while being locked yesterday. How come? All of a sudden it drains. I haven't even installed anything new from Cydia, only OpenSSH.

Turn it off with SBSettings.

Pachimari

But I can't just completely get rid of it?
My phone keeps turning it on automatically everytime I restart/turn on my phone.

RevoDS

Anastacio said:
But I can't just completely get rid of it?
My phone keeps turning it on automatically everytime I restart/turn on my phone.
The Packages menu in Cydia should allow you to uninstall any jailbreak app you have, including OpenSSH.

mug

Quick question, I'm planning on selling my 3G on eBay and it's a jailbroken phone with 4.0.1 installed. Anyway how do I go about erasing the phone back to it's original state while still remaining jailbroken? In other words, erasing all my personal stuff.

LegoDad

mug said:
Quick question, I'm planning on selling my 3G on eBay and it's a jailbroken phone with 4.0.1 installed. Anyway how do I go about erasing the phone back to it's original state while still remaining jailbroken? In other words, erasing all my personal stuff.

You can't ( I wouldn't ) . Reset the phone, wipe it clean, setup as new phone, jailbreak/unlock.

CassSept

RevoDS said:
Is it an iPhone or iPod Touch? Do you have your SHSH blobs saved by Cydia/on-file?
iPhone 3GS. And no, i don't have any SHSH blobs installed. I got it only today and I fucked something up while downgrading to 4.0.1 and ta-duh, I have 4.1. Sigh, so the only way now is waiting till they crack 4.1, right?

Top Bottom