• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

RevoDS

CassSept said:
iPhone 3GS. And no, i don't have any SHSH blobs installed. I got it only today and I fucked something up while downgrading to 4.0.1 and ta-duh, I have 4.1. Sigh, so the only way now is waiting till they crack 4.1, right?
Yep, you're likely out of luck until at least november. An exploit has been found for 4.1 but since it's a major exploit and 4.1 is a minor release, it's being held until the iPad joins the party.

LegoDad

RevoDS said:
Yep, you're likely out of luck until at least november. An exploit has been found for 4.1 but since it's a major exploit and 4.1 is a minor release, it's being held until the iPad joins the party.

What? The exploit in a bootrom exploit, which means it doesn't matter if it's only a minor release, the only way for Apple to stop it is to bring out a new device again.

abq

Anastacio said:
Is there any way to remove OpenSSH on the iPhone 4?
Btw, my battery has been extremely bad, even draining while being locked yesterday. How come? All of a sudden it drains. I haven't even installed anything new from Cydia, only OpenSSH.
I'm having the same problem. I suspect that the persistent wifi function is the culprit.

Anastacio said:
Is there any way to remove OpenSSH on the iPhone 4?
Btw, my battery has been extremely bad, even draining while being locked yesterday. How come? All of a sudden it drains. I haven't even installed anything new from Cydia, only OpenSSH.
that's unexplainable to me. I get no unusual drain (though it drains some over night, etc.). idk.

hell, my phone hasn't been on the charger since sometime on Tuesday. 25% left and I'm confident it will still be good tonight for a few convo's.

RevoDS

caliblue15 said:
What? The exploit in a bootrom exploit, which means it doesn't matter if it's only a minor release, the only way for Apple to stop it is to bring out a new device again.
The bootrom exploit is tethered, and not the one I was referring to. Apparently there is another untethered exploit but that one's in iBoot (similar to the ones used by Jailbreakme and Spirit), thus patchable through firmware updates. Once the iBoot hole is patched, tethered will have to do until another one is found.

RevoDS said:
The bootrom exploit is tethered, and not the one I was referring to. Apparently there is another untethered exploit but that one's in iBoot (similar to the ones used by Jailbreakme and Spirit), thus patchable through firmware updates. Once the iBoot hole is patched, tethered will have to do until another one is found.
Who's exploit is it?

rc213

I got a question for you guys. Just purchased a iPhone 3G 4.0.1 Jailbroken/Unlocked. I got lucky because the previous owner had backed up 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 SHSH blobs. Used tinyumbrella to restore 4.0.1, I was freaking out hoping I had done it correctly.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-restore.html

Now for the main question, I know 4.1 is supposed to help iPhone 3G but I'm on tmobile. But it seems I have to keep the baseband the same or I'm screwed. Baseband? =c

Anyone know of a way to watch videos imbedded within a web page on an iPhone like you can on the iPad where it'll stay within the page rather than jumping to a new full screen window?

Helmholtz

I've had an iPhone 3G for a little while and it's currently on fw 3.0 jailbroken/unlocked. I think I'd like to upgrade to the newer firmware that can be jailbroken/unlocked, but I'm having trouble figuring out how. Can anyone point me to a guide or help me get to the latest firmware? Thanks.
Also, is there any disadvantage with upgrading? Any problems with the new firmware?

KanyeEast

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
that's unexplainable to me. I get no unusual drain (though it drains some over night, etc.). idk.

hell, my phone hasn't been on the charger since sometime on Tuesday. 25% left and I'm confident it will still be good tonight for a few convo's.
I found the problem. I had this the last 2 weeks. I thought the phone was dead but after looking in google i saw that the problem was exchange mail. I had exchange active for 2 weeks so that made sense.

Helmholtz said:
I've had an iPhone 3G for a little while and it's currently on fw 3.0 jailbroken/unlocked. I think I'd like to upgrade to the newer firmware that can be jailbroken/unlocked, but I'm having trouble figuring out how. Can anyone point me to a guide or help me get to the latest firmware? Thanks.
Also, is there any disadvantage with upgrading? Any problems with the new firmware?
For the 3G there are definitely disadvantages. iOS4 has caused major speed issues for lots of people with the 3G. 4.1 is supposed to fix these issues I believe, but it is isn't jailbreakable yet.

Don't take my word for it though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I got a touch 4G with 4.1. Is this one downgradeable or have to wait for the jailbreak?

knitoe

roosters93 said:
For the 3G there are definitely disadvantages. iOS4 has caused major speed issues for lots of people with the 3G. 4.1 is supposed to fix these issues I believe, but it is isn't jailbreakable yet.

Only Iphone 3G 4.1 can be JB, but can not unlock.

http://www.blogsdna.com/11321/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-3g-4-1-ios-with-redsn0w-0-9-5-beta-5.htm

Teetris said:
I got a touch 4G with 4.1. Is this one downgradeable or have to wait for the jailbreak?
Have to wait.

Helmholtz

roosters93 said:

Ah, I thought I heard something about that elsewhere. I'll definitely hold off for now then, at least until 4.1 jailbreak/unlock comes out. Thanks for the info!
Anyone know if it's worth upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.2 on my 3g? 3.1.2 is jailbreakable/unlockable correct?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Oni Jazar said:
Jailbreak community has let me down. I'm still waiting for 4.1 jb

For some reason my touch was lagging horribly on 4.0 so I just got the official firmware. Hopefully I won't experience it when they jailbreak 4.1 or later firmware.

Erebus

Helmholtz said:
Ah, I thought I heard something about that elsewhere. I'll definitely hold off for now then, at least until 4.1 jailbreak/unlock comes out. Thanks for the info!
Anyone know if it's worth upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.2 on my 3g? 3.1.2 is jailbreakable/unlockable correct?
I'm on 3.1.2 for almost a year now. Other than the obvious compatibility issues with some apps which require iOS 4.x, I have no problems whatsoever with my 3G.

Having said that, if you've been on 3.0 all this time, you might as well hold off a bit longer and wait for the 4.1 jailbreak/unlock.

rc213

Definitely wait for iPhone 3G 4.1 to be jailbroken unlocked if you need it. 4.0.1 is a piece of shit but I need the unlock for T-Mobile so I am stuck for now, My busted up 2G works better. :lol

Should probably add the fix for Invalid Sim when activating with a phonebook/universal sim.
Pointed out here by Charred Greyface, Came in handy when I restored to 4.0.1 : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22707516&postcount=2894

Info here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/showthread.php?p=599737#post599737

This tinyumbrella guide came in handy when I restored my 4.0.1 since the phone I bought had the SHSH blobs backed up by Cydia.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-restore.html#post5414264

hirokazu

jts said:
I need to this to my GF's 3G too (she's still on 3.1.2!).

How is that 4.1 with unlock working out? I mean performance-wise.
It definitely performs much better than 4.0.x on 3G. Against 3.x it's hard to say. My dad mostly uses it to make calls so I can't say too much but it's working out very well for that, LOL.

4.0.x was a nightmare on that phone though, I can't believe I lived with that for two months.

jts

...hate me...
hirokazu said:
It definitely performs much better than 4.0.x on 3G. Against 3.x it's hard to say. My dad mostly uses it to make calls so I can't say too much but it's working out very well for that, LOL.

4.0.x was a nightmare on that phone though, I can't believe I lived with that for two months.
Well that's sweet enough. She is way overdue for an update, envious of folders and some new apps don't even come out with suport for 3.1.2 anymore. I'm doing it today.

Thanks for the heads up!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
jts said:
I need to this to my GF's 3G too (she's still on 3.1.2!).

How is that 4.1 with unlock working out? I mean performance-wise.

I upgraded my 3G from 4.01 to 4.1 last night and did the unlock. Performance is 8000x better, but I can no longer do a backup on iTunes.

I backed up my contacts and all that stuff before I upgraded, but now I get a "can't establish connection.." error when I try to restore, or create a new backup.

I can sync though, so that's not bad.

Other than that.. runs a hell of a lot better.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
red shoe paul said:
Still no JB for 4.1, I wonder what the hold up is..
http://chronic-dev.org/blog/

That's the place to watch right?

Also, what will happen with my bought stuff if I JB the 4g touch? I heard some people saying Apple's gonna take steps but then again most other people are saying it's bullshit. I can still use iTunes, appstore and all the official things right?

jts

...hate me...
DrEvil said:
I upgraded my 3G from 4.01 to 4.1 last night and did the unlock. Performance is 8000x better, but I can no longer do a backup on iTunes.

I backed up my contacts and all that stuff before I upgraded, but now I get a "can't establish connection.." error when I try to restore, or create a new backup.

Yikes!

I might have to wait on that jailbreak after all. No backup/restore is a deal breaker :(

knitoe

hirokazu said:
That's not true, you can jailbreak 4.1 on 3G with PwnageTool and then use ultrasn0w unlock, as long as you don't update the baseband. I did this yesterday so I could pass on my 3G to my dad.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3g-ios-4.1-pwnagetool-guide/
I was talking about updating or being on the official 4.1 firmware. Of course if you use a custom firmware ( saving your baseband = unlock), unlocking will still be possible.

Pctx

Banned
Alright GAFFER's,

I'm taking a trip over to the Middle East here in about a month and half or so and I need my 3GS to use a local SIM card over there.

Right now I'm running a 3GS on 4.0.1 w/ the Jailbreakme.com JB. From what I've read, all I need to do is simply download the UltraSn0w app in Cydia and then it's unlocked?

Just want to make sure since I don't want to screw this up.

knitoe

Pctx said:
Alright GAFFER's,

I'm taking a trip over to the Middle East here in about a month and half or so and I need my 3GS to use a local SIM card over there.

Right now I'm running a 3GS on 4.0.1 w/ the Jailbreakme.com JB. From what I've read, all I need to do is simply download the UltraSn0w app in Cydia and then it's unlocked?

Just want to make sure since I don't want to screw this up.
Yes. Borrow someone's T-Mobile sim to be sure it's working.

DrEvil said:

How did you go about jailbreaking? Like many others I tried and had to restore back to vanilla 4.1. Jailbreaking for me resulted in a non-functional cydia icon and losing the phone icon, disabling all call-based functionality save for receiving calls. It basically turned my iPhone to an iTouch with sms/mms capability. If I'm not mistaken powering down didn't work and the address book didn't either.

knitoe

woahitsreeo said:
How did you go about jailbreaking? Like many others I tried and had to restore back to vanilla 4.1. Jailbreaking for me resulted in a non-functional cydia icon and losing the phone icon, disabling all call-based functionality save for receiving calls. It basically turned my iPhone to an iTouch with sms/mms capability. If I'm not mistaken powering down didn't work and the address book didn't either.
Only way to unlock phone is having old baseband, and thus, he/she must have upgrade using custom firmware created with pwnagetool or snowbreeze.

Teetris said:
http://chronic-dev.org/blog/

That's the place to watch right?

Also, what will happen with my bought stuff if I JB the 4g touch? I heard some people saying Apple's gonna take steps but then again most other people are saying it's bullshit. I can still use iTunes, appstore and all the official things right?
Yep, it all still works.

hirokazu

knitoe said:
I was talking about updating or being on the official 4.1 firmware. Of course if you use a custom firmware ( saving your baseband = unlock), unlocking will still be possible.
Uh, yeah, you're installing a custom firmware package, but how is that different from jailbreaking after installing an Apple-built firmware package, apart from being able to choose want to include or exclude (eg. baseband update)? Jailbreak apps like redsn0w still have to make changes to the system anyway.

Unless you're arguing about whether it's ideal to update the baseband whenever you update iOS, I don't necessarily see any benefits of that unless they patched some modem bugs that affect communications.

Blackhead

Redarse
redsn0wier

iPhone Devs said:
We’ve released a beta version of redsn0w for the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G at FW 4.1 or 4.0. It uses the same pwnage2 DFU-mode exploit that we’ve been using since the 2.x days. It does not include the SHAtter exploit developed by pod2g. Nothing new is revealed to Apple with this jailbreak.

IF YOU USE THE ULTRASN0W UNLOCK, PLEASE WAIT FOR PWNAGETOOL TO SUPPORT 4.1. DO NOT USE REDSN0W. That’s because to use redsn0w at 4.1, you need to already have updated to official 4.1 from Apple. If you do that, you lose the ultrasn0w unlock (possibly forever).

The Windows version needs further testing, so for now this is available only for Mac OS X x86. The Windows version will come as soon as the bugs are ironed out.

Note: if you have an “MC” model of the ipt2g, your 4.1 jailbreak will be tethered…sorry! (Consider rolling back to a FW supported by jailbreakme.com or spiritjb.com)

===== What devices, platforms, and FW versions are supported? =====

This BETA release supports:
  • iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G only (for now)
  • Mac OS X x86 only (for now)
  • 4.1 or 4.0 firmware from Apple

s90xo.png

===== How do I use it? =====

If you’ve already updated your device to 4.1 or 4.0, the next steps are:
  1. Launch the beta redsn0w 0.9.6b1
  2. Select your stock 4.1 or 4.0 ipsw (you’ve already used this to update your device to 4.1 or 4.0)
  3. Select “Install Cydia” and any of the other options shown above, then click “Next”. Use DFU mode to install the jailbreak.

Note: If you choose to “Enable battery percentage”, you actually toggle that off and on via Settings->General->Usage.

===== Download links =====

Please do not directly link to these URLs because they’ll be changing according to bandwidth demands.

Mac OSX x86 [check website]

Windows (coming soon)

th3dude

cvxfreak said:
I hope the 4.1 Jailbreak and Unlock arrive soon. :/ I'm at 4.02 and downgrading seems like a pain in the ass to do.

Yea, I'm itching to JB my 4.1 iPhone 4. Really only want LockInfo and maybe SBSettings, but I'm itching!

rc213

Tomorrow can't come soon enough, sn0wbreeze 2.0 to Jailbreak/Unlock my 3G 4.0.1 to 4.1. Everything is just so lagggggggggggggggy and games run like dog shit compared to my old iPhone 2G which I am still using to play until 4.1. :lol

That redsn0w release is confusing, Why doesn't allow you to keep the baseband intact like the future pwnagetool will?

knitoe

rc213 said:
Tomorrow can't come soon enough, sn0wbreeze 2.0 to Jailbreak/Unlock my 3G 4.0.1 to 4.1. Everything is just so lagggggggggggggggy and games run like dog shit compared to my old iPhone 2G which I am still using to play until 4.1. :lol

That redsn0w release is confusing, Why doesn't allow you to keep the baseband intact like the future pwnagetool will?
Redsn0w JB OS already the on phone while pwnagetool / snowbreeze creates custom firmware that you have to fully restore.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Question time!

I have an iPhone 3G running 4.02.

I jailbroke it this may, it had running whatever firmware was the latest at that time. My contract expired july, at which point I un-jailbroke to unlock it.

I'd like to jailbreak again, preferably using a quick method like redsn0w (which is what I used back in may) instead of going the long way with pwnage tools and risking fessing something up and thus bricking it.

Do I have any option at this point?

rc213

Bitmap Frogs said:
Question time!

I have an iPhone 3G running 4.02.

I jailbroke it this may, it had running whatever firmware was the latest at that time. My contract expired july, at which point I un-jailbroke to unlock it.

I'd like to jailbreak again, preferably using a quick method like redsn0w (which is what I used back in may) instead of going the long way with pwnage tools and risking fessing something up and thus bricking it.

Do I have any option at this point?

If you don't care about the baseband/unlock then the latest redsn0w released yesterday should do the trick for 4.1. Although I am almost sure you will need a working sim to get past the Emergency screen once you update to 4.1.

Look up a few posts for details on latest redsn0w.

sn0wbreeze 2.0 is set to release 6pm PST. There is also a guide on how to enable Game Center on 4.1, So far everything appears to be working. I will be trying that just as soon as I am on 4.1. :D

Top Bottom