• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

DeathbyVolcano said:
FolderEnhancer for iPhones pre-4.1....awesome shit. There are some aspects of Infinifolders I like more, but FolderEnhancer opens folders sooooooo fast now.
I tried it out and would have kept it installed, but for some reason, I couldn't scroll like I could with Infinifolders.

Dreams-Visions said:
I tried it out and would have kept it installed, but for some reason, I couldn't scroll like I could with Infinifolders.

It's a pages interface rather than a scroll one. Swipe over, not down.

I'm new to this stuff so I hope you guys can help me. I downgraded my phone which had 4.1 to 3.1.3 in order to unlock it to be able to use a different carrier. I followed all the steps to jailbreak it using redsn0w, followed all the steps to unlock it using ultrasn0w, restarted it and nothing happened. I've reinstalled and installed it all a few times and still no service. Any advice to what I may be missing/doing wrong? I followed the steps exactly.

rc213

eternaLightness said:
I'm new to this stuff so I hope you guys can help me. I downgraded my phone which had 4.1 to 3.1.3 in order to unlock it to be able to use a different carrier. I followed all the steps to jailbreak it using redsn0w, followed all the steps to unlock it using ultrasn0w, restarted it and nothing happened. I've reinstalled and installed it all a few times and still no service. Any advice to what I may be missing/doing wrong? I followed the steps exactly.
Had you preserved your baseband when you updated to 4.1?

rc213 said:
Had you preserved your baseband when you updated to 4.1?

I decided to search what that was, and looking further, looks like baseband is what is keeping me from doing it. I have 5.14.02 and some of the stuff I've seen suggest that there's no fix for it yet.

rc213

eternaLightness said:
I decided to search what that was, and looking further, looks like baseband is what is keeping me from doing it. I have 5.14.02 and some of the stuff I've seen suggest that there's no fix for it yet.
Correct, We will have to wait until after SHAtter jailbreak is complete before they work on new basebands.

If you are on a 3G iPhone check my post on the last page about downgrading your baseband if you're lucky to have a old bootloader phone.

Really wish I knew more about this beforehand, otherwise I would have never upgraded to 4.1 in the first place. At least I'll be more aware next time. How long does something like the Shatter jailbreak usually take, if you had to guess?

hitsugi

eternaLightness said:
Really wish I knew more about this beforehand, otherwise I would have never upgraded to 4.1 in the first place. At least I'll be more aware next time. How long does something like the Shatter jailbreak usually take, if you had to guess?

End of the year if we are lucky.

LogicStep

Here is a post on it: Link

I wonder what they mean by:
You have to realize that what they did is not your typical jailbreak, and it’s a very big thing.

I read that it will jailbreak any device forever or something, what's the story behind this new jailbreak anyone know the details?

rc213

From some of the dev tweets it seems 3GS 4.1 isn't included?

chpwn said:
Please remember that SHAtter and greenpoison are /only/ possible on the fourth-gen devices: iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G.

Cydia keeps giving me an error whenever I load it up...do I have to SSH into my phone and delete something...or what?

edit: oh and fucking YES for a 4.1 jailbreak. can't wait to update to 4.1. When it's released, what's the general rule of thumb for us still on 4.0.1? Do a backup before updating to 4.1, then update to 4.1 and THEN use the new jailbreaking method?

Kirby102

rc213 said:
From some of the dev tweets it seems 3GS 4.1 isn't included?

I thought someone said that this is the bootrom exploit, and could only be fixed with a hardware revision... so it could be used for all devices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got excited cause now this could JB 4.1 on other devices easier. (is noob at JB'ing 4.1 on 3G) :(

Blackhead

Redarse
DeathbyVolcano said:
Cydia keeps giving me an error whenever I load it up...do I have to SSH into my phone and delete something...or what?

edit: oh and fucking YES for a 4.1 jailbreak. can't wait to update to 4.1. When it's released, what's the general rule of thumb for us still on 4.0.1? Do a backup before updating to 4.1, then update to 4.1 and THEN use the new jailbreaking method?
What does the error say? The most common errors you get on Cydia startup are from a repository (repo) not being available. You could wait ignore the errors until they eventually go away whenn the repo is back online and accessible or remove the repo by going to the Sources section under the 'Manage' tab.

The advised method for changing firmwares is to create a backup in iTunes, use the jailbreak provided tool (pwnage, quckpwn etc) to create a custom firmware and then restore to the custom firmware. Once on the new firmware, you can choose to get your settings back by using the backup.

I can't wait to the iPod touch jailbreak and I'm so glad it's not going to be a tethered one.

Kirby102 said:
I thought someone said that this is the bootrom exploit, and could only be fixed with a hardware revision... so it could be used for all devices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got excited cause now this could JB 4.1 on other devices easier. (is noob at JB'ing 4.1 on 3G) :(
You can already put 4.1 JB via Redsn0w on Mac. Windows version was released very recently.

The SHAtter exploit that Greenpoison employs will only be functional on iPhone 4, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, and Apple TV 2G. Pretty much anything that uses the A4 chipset. It is a bootrom exploit that can only be fixed via a hardware revision, but it's also a tethered exploit that must be paired with a userland exploit, that one of the developers apparently has ready for 4.1, that will make it untethered. Since SHAtter is a bootrom exploit, that hopefully means that we'll have relatively speedy jailbreaks for all of the A4 devices.

iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G are the two left out of the 4.1 JB party, as of now.

Yesterday p0sixninja, member of chronic devteam, announced the release date for their latest jailbreak method greenpois0n for all devices running a A4 chip (iPhone 4/iPad/iPod touch 4th gen): "10/10/10 10:10:10AM GMT"

A few hours ago rumors were heard that GeoHot just came back to ruin the party and is going to release his own jailbreak method, called limera1n, for ALL devices on 10/11/10 (exact 1 year anniversary of blackra1n). Wow, talk about drama...

The rumor seems to be true, since known iphone- & chronic-devteam members confirmed it being real. It's a shame two bootrom exploits get released at once. But since SHAtter seems to work on A4 devices only, it's for the better I guess :/.

Anyway, the drama is on - discuss.

Mailenstein said:
Yesterday p0sixninja, member of chronic devteam, announced the release date for their latest jailbreak method greenpois0n for all devices running a A4 chip (iPhone 4/iPad/iPod touch 4th gen): "10/10/10 10:10:10AM GMT"

A few hours ago rumors were heard that GeoHot just came back to ruin the party and is going to release his own jailbreak method, called limera1n, for ALL devices on 10/11/10 (exact 1 year anniversary of blackra1n). Wow, talk about drama...

The rumor seems to be true, since known iphone- & chronic-devteam members confirmed it being real. It's a shame two bootrom exploits get released at once. But since SHAtter seems to work on A4 devices only, it's for the better I guess :/.

Anyway, the drama is on - discuss.
LOVE IT. :lol

Twitter is pretty much going crazy right now. All devs are in talk about this at the moment lol!

LOLdit:

p0sixninja_expresses_feelings-300x127.png

That was yesterday. It took him 24 hours to come up with a jailbreak using a bootrom exploit for all devices? LOL.

I love the drama. I hate that 2 exploits are being exposed.

deathsight580 said:
Here is a post on it: Link

I wonder what they mean by:
You have to realize that what they did is not your typical jailbreak, and it’s a very big thing.

I read that it will jailbreak any device forever or something, what's the story behind this new jailbreak anyone know the details?
any device running the A4 chip...because the jailbreak has something to do with the chip itself, rather than the OS.

Rumor has it geohot isn't only releasing limera1n to jailbreak your device, but also limesn0w to unlock baseband 5.14.2 and 2.10.4! Wow, if true :eek:!

RevoDS

Geohot is an ass. Considering how rare bootrom exploits are, the devteams were definitely making the smart choice by releasing the lesser of the two (tethered and A4-only) while keeping the bigger one shelved for later.

Now it's too late to stop SHAtter since the exploit was detailed among the drama tonight, but I really hope Geohot gets shot down from his high horse and stops childishly spoiling exploits.

And that's coming from an iPod touch 3G owner, thus not even able to use SHAtter.

RevoDS said:
Geohot is an ass. Considering how rare bootrom exploits are, the devteams were definitely making the smart choice by releasing the lesser of the two (tethered and A4-only) while keeping the bigger one shelved for later.

Now it's too late to stop SHAtter since the exploit was detailed among the drama tonight, but I really hope Geohot gets shot down from his high horse and stops childishly spoiling exploits.

And that's coming from an iPod touch 3G owner, thus not even able to use SHAtter.
It's not really about life or death. Also I actually don't get the hate against geohot. It's actually funny how many hate him but still use his tools. You could say the same about waninkoko @ Wii scene.

RevoDS

Mailenstein said:
It's not really about life or death. Also I actually don't get the hate against geohot. It's actually funny how many hate him but still use his tools. You could say the same about waninkoko @ Wii scene.

I never said it's a matter of life or death, far from that.

And in what wacky world do we have to like the person behind said product to actually use said product? Geohot is a very talented developer, and his products work well; that's why people use them. But as a person, at least from the way he's acting online, he's an obnoxious douche. That won't prevent anyone from using his tools, but it doesn't mean he only deserves praise either.

Karram

Mailenstein said:
Rumor has it geohot isn't only releasing limera1n to jailbreak your device, but also limesn0w to unlock baseband 5.14.2 and 2.10.4! Wow, if true :eek:!
That would be awesome. Really hoping its true since I accidentally updated to 4.1 and I can't use my 3GS any longer since I don't have an AT&t Sim card.

RevoDS said:

And in what wacky world do we have to like the person behind said product to actually use said product? Geohot is a very talented developer, and his products work well; that's why people use them. But as a person, at least from the way he's acting online, he's an obnoxious douche. That won't prevent anyone from using his tools, but it doesn't mean he only deserves praise either.
Facebook?

rc213

Well I for one am happy for limerain since I am stuck on a 3GS 4.1.

According to comex both limerain and greenpoison are pwnd for life exploits and both use his userland exploit to go untethered. Sweet, Can't wait! Now if he releases a unlock for 05.14.02 I WOULD SHIT MYSELF!

I have a 3GS and i really want to do this.

Will all my games and everything i already have in the phone be fine?

Edit: I have half a dozen tabs open right now reading about stuff. My excitement levels are through the roof.

Mairu

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have a 3GS and i really want to do this.

Will all my games and everything i already have in the phone be fine?

Edit: I have half a dozen tabs open right now reading about stuff. My excitement levels are through the roof.
I did the jailbreakme.com thing on my iPhone 4 and didn't lose anything.

Mairu said:
I did the jailbreakme.com thing on my iPhone 4 and didn't lose anything.

Good to know. I can still sync to itunes (without updating of course) with no problems as well?

SAD NEWS: i was bummed to realize that i had already upgraded to 4.1. *sigh*
Is there an easy way to bump back down a firmware because the thought of restoring it to 3.2 or whatever and jailbreaking that is not pleasing to me.

CassSept

So greenpois0n will work only on iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G?
But one day later limera1n will be released which will be the only release to support iPhone 3GS?

Thank God he is releasing this, if 4.1 iPhone 3GS remained the only un-jailbreakable device that would suck.

cvxfreak

numble said:
I don't get why they're doing this when we're weeks away from 4.2.
They're doing it because I have a trip coming up soon and need my phone jailbroken and unlocked before 4.2. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
RevoDS said:

It's not the first time this has happened. Geohot doesn't believe in the 'shelving the exploits of later' theory especially when that exploit could prove useful for many people. He is of the opinion that the hackers should trust their skill and discipline to always come up with a hack for whatever protectoon Apple uses next—and to be fair he has been right so far. You could also flip the script and describe the devteam as assholes for holding unto exploits for their private uses while millions of iPhone users are trapped on locked firmware (for whatever reasons)

*shrug* Geohot doesnt deserve hate or name calling. It's a philosophical difference while working towards the same goal.

numble said:
It doesn't really matter, since Apple has no chance to fix that by November.

Charred Greyface said:
It's not the first time this has happened. Geohot doesn't believe in the 'shelving the exploits of later' theory especially when that exploit could prove useful for many people. He is of the opinion that the hackers should trust their skill and discipline to always come up with a hack for whatever protectoon Apple uses next—and to be fair he has been right so far. You could also flip the script and describe the devteam as assholes for holding unto exploits for their private uses while millions of iPhone users are trapped on locked firmware (for whatever reasons)
*shrug* Geohot doesnt deserve hate or name calling. It's a philosophical difference while working towards the same goal.
Yeah, I would totally sign this.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm completely on board with what this guy is doing. Especially as an iPod Touch 3G owner it really sucks having this slow trickle of exploits come out which don't benefit me in any way. They need to just use what they have, there will always be another exploit. That's what hacking is about.

Oni Jazar

My Facetime/Speaker microphone is not working on my i4. I figure that I'll need to take it to the Apple store to get it replaced. How do I backup my JB so I can upgrade, exchange, then revert back?

numble said:
these are lifetime hacks related to exploits found in hardware. the kind that would require Apple to redesign the cpu rather than simply patch an OS hole. it doesn't matter when it's released now. game is over until they redesign their chip.

Oni Jazar said:
My Facetime/Speaker microphone is not working on my i4. I figure that I'll need to take it to the Apple store to get it replaced. How do I backup my JB so I can upgrade, exchange, then revert back?
we won't know how to answer that until tomorrow. only thing I could recommend is popping open Cydia and writing down the list of programs you've installed along with the sources. when you swap your phone (if that winds up being the resolution), they're going to give you a 4.1 phone that you can't jailbreak yet. when the jailbreak comes out tomorrow (?), you'll jailbreak that new phone and start re-installing stuff from Cydia and syncing your phone.

Oni Jazar

Dreams-Visions said:
we won't know how to answer that until tomorrow. only thing I could recommend is popping open Cydia and writing down the list of programs you've installed along with the sources. when you swap your phone (if that winds up being the resolution), they're going to give you a 4.1 phone that you can't jailbreak yet. when the jailbreak comes out tomorrow (?), you'll jailbreak that new phone and start re-installing stuff from Cydia and syncing your phone.

So I should just upgrade to OFW 4.1 before sending it in? I know big news is coming tomorrow but I don't see what else to do.

Dreams-Visions said:
these are lifetime hacks related to exploits found in hardware. the kind that would require Apple to redesign the cpu rather than simply patch an OS hole. it doesn't matter when it's released now. game is over until they redesign their chip.
So does that mean I can use this same exploit when 4.2 comes around to jailbreak?

Top Bottom