• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

rc213

LovingSteam said:
Nope. I'm no AT&T for another year at least.
Might be smart to upgrade to 4.1 while keeping your baseband where it is that way you always have the choice to unlock it.

What baseband/modem firmware is your iPhone on?

rc213 said:
Might be smart to upgrade to 4.1 while keeping your baseband where it is that way you always have the choice to unlock it.

What baseband/modem firmware is your iPhone on?

Firmware 3.1.3 and baseband is 05.12.01 Also, if I update to 4.1 and something doesn't go right with the jailbreak, I'm pretty much screwed with no chance of downgrading back to 3.1.3, right? Also, if I want to keep my baseband, do I need to wait for the other jailbreak?

rc213

LovingSteam said:
Firmware 3.1.3 and baseband is 05.12.01 Also, if I update to 4.1 and something doesn't go right with the jailbreak, I'm pretty much screwed with no chance of downgrading back to 3.1.3, right? Also, if I want to keep my baseband, do I need to wait for the other jailbreak?
No you're not screwed if you have your SHSH blobs saved for 3.1.3. Open up Cydia and when it's fully loaded it should say it at the top. You can also back up your SHSH blobs locally using tinyumbrella.

If you decide to keep your baseband intact then wait for the dev teams tool. They always make it clear how to keep your baseband intact.

dream

DeathbyVolcano said:
Does anyone know how long a mac version for these things usually takes to release? :-/

Geohot had a OS X version of Blackrain out within a week of the Windows release so I'd imagine soon.

rc213 said:
No you're not screwed if you have your SHSH blobs saved for 3.1.3. Open up Cydia and when it's fully loaded it should say it at the top. You can also back up your SHSH blobs locally using tinyumbrella.

If you decide to keep your baseband intact then wait for the dev teams tool. They always make it clear how to keep your baseband intact.

Thanks for the advice! I was able to update to 4.1, keep my baseband, and then jailbreak using limera1n. Loving 4.1!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mairu said:
So what's the protocol for this? I've got a 4 jailbroken. Do I update & restore then jailbreak & put all that stuff back on?

Was hoping it would be easier than that, but oh well. 4.1 jailbroken is 4.1 jailbroken
Anyone knows?

Dreams-Visions said:
details? restored using TinyUmbrella?

Yup. The newest version. Worked like a charm. Only thing was all of my jailbreak apps were no longer there so I had to download those again. It also took a very long time for the restore to take place and I didn't get the error that the how to guide said I would. Either way, I'm good.

LovingSteam said:
Yup. The newest version. Worked like a charm. Only thing was all of my jailbreak apps were no longer there so I had to download those again. It also took a very long time for the restore to take place and I didn't get the error that the how to guide said I would. Either way, I'm good.
I'm staring blankly at TinyUmbrella right now. So you started the "TSS Server", which shuts down iTunes...then you re-opened iTunes and Shift/Option + Restored to 4.1. then jailbroke.

amirite?

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm staring blankly at TinyUmbrella right now. So you started the "TSS Server", which shuts down iTunes...then you re-opened iTunes and Shift/Option + Restored to 4.1. then jailbroke.

amirite?

Yup. Downloaded the 4.1 firmware and then restore using it. Like I said, its going to take awhile. From my experience, it takes longer than just a normal restore (for whatever reason). Also, don't be surprised if you don't receive the error at the end. Your phone should just boot up.

rc213

LovingSteam said:
If I already have installed LimeRa1n without the new bootrom, is it just a quick update?
New bootrom 3GS usually come with a newer baseband that can't be unlocked yet. Has no bearing on old bootrom 3GS iPhones.

I'll give it a shot in a few since I have a new bootrom 3GS with baseband 05.14.02.

LovingSteam said:
Yup. Downloaded the 4.1 firmware and then restore using it. Like I said, its going to take awhile. From my experience, it takes longer than just a normal restore (for whatever reason). Also, don't be surprised if you don't receive the error at the end. Your phone should just boot up.
understood. thank you, kind sir.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is an 8GB 3g touch essentially the same as a 2g? If so that would explain why my friend's won't jailbreak with Limera1n.

cvxfreak

If I'm reading everything correctly, if our ultimate goal is an UNLOCK, then we should continue waiting until chronic dev team releases their tool on 10.10.10 (or later today)?

(iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1 with old baseband preserved here)

Well I'm a dumbass. It turns out my baseband was updated to the current one. Dreams, I am so sorry man. Let me know if it works for you. I'm hoping I just didn't do something right. Hopefully when the other jailbreak is released with the unlock, I will be able to use it. If not, oh well. Again Dreams, sorry man!

rc213

Got limera1n on my new bootrom 3GS 4.1 but it's white and when I click it all it does is close immediately.

I bought a 3GS at launch and stuck at 4.1. I am a complete Jailbreaking noob, but i really want to do this. Should i go down this limerain route? From what i am reading it seem the focus is moving on to only A4 devices which makes me nervous about being stuck and left behind.

Weenerz

Banned
Worked on my 3.2.2 iPad, glad to finally get back to Cydia. Really spoiled myself with running it on my 3gs for so long.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright, I see that the third beta of limera1n is out. I'm heavily tempted.
But I have a couple of questions.

I'm using a 4.0.1 American iPhone 4 initially locked to AT&T (and under contract with them for a good 1.5 more years), but carrier-unlocked with ultrasn0w.

It's my understanding that I can use something called TinyUmbrella to preserve my iP4's currently unlock-able baseband when upgrading to the 4.1 firmware. True? Any repercussions or side effects to this?

Also, it's my understanding that we can utilize something called SHSH blobs to facilitate the downgrading of our firmwares back to 4.0 or 4.01, in case something goes horribly wrong and we decide that we're not ready for 4.1 yet. Cydia's home screen shows "SHSH iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2." Do I need to do anything more re: these SHSH blobs? How do I access/utilize them?

Those two issues (and the suggestion of limera1n bugs) have so far prevented me from upgrading. I've already downloaded apps to backup my SpringBoard layout and my Cydia apps, and synced/backed up with iTunes. So for all intents and purposes, I think I'm as ready as I can be to make the jump. And all JB scene politics and histrionics aside, it's pretty encouraging that limera1n has already seen two bug-fix releases tonight.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mejilan

Dreams-Visions said:
I tried it out and would have kept it installed, but for some reason, I couldn't scroll like I could with Infinifolders.

Hmmm, so Folder Enhancer is superior to Infinifolders?
I have most of those chpwn tweaks/enhancements purchased and installed, so I'm a little hesitant to drop one of his for a competing app if it's going to break or conflict with something...

If you decide to try FolderEnhancer, just delete Infinifolders and if you don't like the former, reinstall the latter. I like the former better just because it loads the folder quicker, but some people may not like that it covers most of the screen once it loads up.

I'd say its definitely worth trying, though.

rc213

If you rely on ultrasn0w for service on a network that is not AT&T and you're not extremely familiar with backing/restoring/jailbreaking/unlocking then just wait until the Dev Team releases their tool.

As for me I finally got it running, Just restored and ran limera1n before synching back my stuff. Got Cydia running and updated, It showed my 4.1 SHSH blob already backed up.

Just jailbroke my phone.... FINALLY, best friggin' update ever, cause the stupid yellow tint issue I had when taking photos under incandescant and low light has been completely fixed. HDR photos are godly! :D

Mejilan

DeathbyVolcano said:
If you decide to try FolderEnhancer, just delete Infinifolders and if you don't like the former, reinstall the latter. I like the former better just because it loads the folder quicker, but some people may not like that it covers most of the screen once it loads up.

I'd say its definitely worth trying, though.

Not a matter of worth trying, but worth BUYING.
In this case, I feel like I got a bit burned.

FE was smart enough to uninstall InfiniFolders during its own install, but FE was totally broken for me. Some of icons flat out VANISHED, and I had to play around with SBSettings' show/hide icon functionality and deleting/reinstalling affected apps in order to restore the lost icons. If a folder had more than 16 icons, I basically lost access to whatever should have been on the folder's second page.. For some reason, I couldn't scroll folder pages, so any icons that should have been on a second page (17+) were inaccessible. The 4th row of icons (13-16) were slightly cut-off, and there were no "page dots" within the folders. Nor would side-swiping scroll pages.

I tried playing with the various options, killing InfiniBoard (potential conflict was noted by the dev) and FolderCloser (made redundant by FE), and it still wasn't working properly. There's clearly an unknown conflict between FE and some other apps, but I'm not going to troubleshoot it, so for now, FolderEnhancer is gone and InfiniFolders + InfiniBoards are back. And I'm out a buck. I knew I should have listened to my gut. I'm about to update to 4.1, which FE doesn't support. Shouldn't have been so quick to buy it. *shrugs*

bedlamite

another new update: BETA4 - uninstall fixed, respring fixedish

I understand this is the way Geohot does things, but really, why not just iron all this shit out before it gets released to the public?

Mejilan

In this case?
Probably because he was trying to force-convince the competition to (edit) WITHHOLD releasing their SHAtter exploit method by beating them to the punch with his own version that uses a still-surprisingly-viable-but-probably-soon-to-be-patched-by-Apple exploit, so to speak.

Edit - Haha, fixed a typo that effectively indicated the exact opposite of what I meant.

rc213

Well at least this guy seems to work pretty fast finding and fixing bugs so I give him some props for that. I will probably redo my whole setup once the Dev Team's greenp0ison/pwnage tool is released hopefully tomorrow.

So far I have all my favorite Cydia apps installed and running fine.

Five Icon Dock
Notified
SBSettings
Scrobbl
OpenSSH
Mobile Terminal (Can someone else check if this works on their iOS 4 device?)

Mejilan said:
In this case?
Probably because he was trying to force-convince the competition to (edit) WITHHOLD releasing their SHAtter exploit method by beating them to the punch with his own version that uses a still-surprisingly-viable-but-probably-soon-to-be-patched-by-Apple exploit, so to speak.

Edit - Haha, fixed a typo that effectively indicated the exact opposite of what I meant.
It's actually a bootrom hole. Unpatchable.

CassSept

Wow, I've started reading opinions of community and oh what a drama, lovely :lol

Still, I'm kinda happy because if it wasn't for limera1n 3GS would remain the sole iOS 4.1 un-jailbreakable device.
Shame limera1n doesn't install afc2 though.

Top Bottom