• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

jts

...hate me...
How does limera1n work exactly? I don't see any info on the site or on the package.

Basically my computer is a Mac but I have access to Windows machines. No hassles in doing this method?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I've noticed my battery going down a bit faster after the JB. Is this normal?

jts said:
How does limera1n work exactly? I don't see any info on the site or on the package.

Basically my computer is a Mac but I have access to Windows machines. No hassles in doing this method?
It's pretty straight forward and takes only a minute or so.

jts said:

you run the app. it tells you to put the phone in DFU mode. it does the rest. round-trip: about 20 seconds.

LovingSteam said:
Well I'm a dumbass. It turns out my baseband was updated to the current one. Dreams, I am so sorry man. Let me know if it works for you. I'm hoping I just didn't do something right. Hopefully when the other jailbreak is released with the unlock, I will be able to use it. If not, oh well. Again Dreams, sorry man!
it did work for me. I still have the 1.59.00 baseband. sorry it didn't work properly for you. :-(

Blackhead

Redarse
After a couple of tries on my VMWare Windows 7 install with no luck (the iPod touch never reconnected properly when in DFU mode) I gave up and borrowed a Windows Vista laptop to run limera1n. Oh QuickScroll, how I missed you so.

jts

...hate me...
This isn't working for me. Limerain just gets stuck on "waiting for device..." and yes, it is properly plugged in:/

The jailbreak worked fine. I tried using aptbackup and ended up losing all my apps, having to reinstall them now. Better not have messed up my save files :mad:

gokieks

Emerson said:
Is an 8GB 3g touch essentially the same as a 2g? If so that would explain why my friend's won't jailbreak with Limera1n.

There's no 3rd Gen 8GB Touch. They continued to sell the 8GB 2G alongside with the 32/64GB 3rd Gens.

rc213 said:
Mobile Terminal (Can someone else check if this works on their iOS 4 device?)

The version on Cydia from the default repositories doesn't. You'll have to manually download and install it, or find the latest version on another repository. Just Google "Mobile Terminal iOS4" and you should be able to find instructions for both methods.

Blackhead

Redarse
jts said:
This isn't working for me. Limerain just gets stuck on "waiting for device..." and yes, it is properly plugged in:/
Do you have the newest version of iTunes installed on that computer? Have you run it at least once with the iPhone/iPod touch plugged in?

Dez

Mailenstein said:
Anyone in here who tried to jailbreak his device via Windows@Parallels on a Mac? Success?
Why would you even try to do this? USB connectivity via vm is notoriously flakey and slow. Geohot barely tested his solution as it is, do not try this. Just bootcamp or wait for mac tools.

I'm on JB 4.01 on a 3GS. Do I have to do anything special if I want to safely update to the latest official stock FW, or should I just let iTunes install it?

I'm on a Mac and I had a bit of trouble doing it under bootcamp. somewhere in the process of getting into DFU mode and breaking, it was having and the lime droplet would never show up. I did the process probably 15 times before moving over to my Windows 7 machine...where it worked properly on the first try.

not sure where the issue actually lies, but there you have it.

Seth C

So I just jailbroke and then installed Cydia and now a ton of my stuff is gone. Like, I don't know, the app store for example.

jts

...hate me...
Charred Greyface said:
Do you have the newest version of iTunes installed on that computer? Have you run it at least once with the iPhone/iPod touch plugged in?
Yeah, no. That was the problem! jailbroken now :D

Seanbob11

Seth C said:
So I just jailbroke and then installed Cydia and now a ton of my stuff is gone. Like, I don't know, the app store for example.

I got this from Engadget:
Engadget said:
we personally got it working quickly on a pair of iPhones with iOS 4.1... but one of the two was missing icons upon restart and didn't regain App Store, Maps, Game Center and Calendar even after a restore. Be careful, now!

I hope it'll be fine man :(

jts

...hate me...
So what JB stuff is 4.1 compatible anyway?

For some reason I can't install lockinfo, can't find mobile substrate or sbsettings (even though I have the correct repos). What up?

Also, I bought lockinfo on an iPhone I no longer own, am I able to transfer the licence to this one?

jts said:

For some reason I can't install lockinfo, can't find mobile substrate or sbsettings (even though I have the correct repos). What up?

Also, I bought lockinfo on an iPhone I no longer own, am I able to transfer the licence to this one?
all of those are installed working for me from the default repos.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Odious Tea said:
It's actually a bootrom hole. Unpatchable.

Poor choice of words, on my part.
You're right in that both limera1n and greenpo1son are bootrom exploits, and so not patchable in software or on the OS level, but they both ARE correctable via a hardware refresh. It's my understanding that the limera1n method is known to Apple, and so practically guaranteed to be fixed in upcoming iPhone (white and/or non-AT&T?) and iPad (imminent gen 2?) models. Right now there's the thought that SHAtter is probably not known to Apple, and so given the development of limera1n, should be "saved" for the next generation of iDevice hardware.

Do we know yet if greenpo1son will be utilizing the same userland exploit developed by Comex (and recycled by limera1n) that allows it to remain untethered? It was pretty lazy of Apple to only patch the initial 4.0/4.0.1 PDF exploit that allowed JailBreakMe to run, and not the userland exploit that keeps it persistent after reboots and effectively untethered.

Then again, I'm pretty new to all this, and perhaps it's just FUD being thrown around by the pro-GeoHot camp to defend his "betrayal" of the greenpo1son team. Like I said, I'm less interested in the politics; more in the results. If nothing else, limera1n should be considered a positive development because it also works on older iDevice generations. I hear that the original version of greenpo1son that was to be released today was only for the current A4 generation of iDevice (iPad, iPhone4, and iPod Tough gen 4), leaving older hardware users boned.

I've also heard that greenpo1son is being retooled to use the limera1n method, effectively saving SHAtter for later on; which is what GeoHot wanted. I read that he offered his method to the greenpo1son team and that they basically told him to flip off; which is what convinced him to whip up limera1n and release it before the greenpo1son launch date. It seems like a win-win situation in any event. A potentially unknown exploit is being saved for later, and older iDevice users aren't left out of the dark.

*shrugs*

Think I'll be making the jump today.

Dez

jts said:

And yes you can transfer your lockinfo license. Just go to the purchase screen and it'll give you the option there.

jts

...hate me...
Sweet, thank you all. Sbsettings and lockinfo are go, licence transfered too.

My iPhone 4 is finally whole :D

the only apps that I've found to be incompatible as of *today* that I use regularly are:

Infinifolders
FaceBreak
My3G
3G Unrestrictor
MultiMusicInfo

everything else works, including (but not limited to)::

Multimusicinfo
Multifl0w
Action Menu
Activator
AndroidLock
AppSync
Backgrounder
biteSMS
CyDelete
FakeLocation
iFile
ios4 multitask toggler
landscape tv out
Lockinfo
Mobile Terminal
MyWi 4.7.7
OpenSSH
RemoveBackground
Remove Background SBSettings
SBSettings
SpringFlash
Syncronicity
vWallpaper
WiFi Sync
WinterBoard
YourTube 2
3G Unrestrictor

2Crisis

cnizzle06 said:
So is greenpo1son holding off on releasing his now? I have the iphone 4 with 4.1 w/ AT&T, should I hold off?

If you do not need an unlock you have no reason to hold off.

Greenpo1son is going to rework the package to use limera1n anyway.

Alright, I'm sorry, I'm still unsure of what to do. I have access to a windows computer right now (was able to authorize its use fro my iPhone), but here's the rundown of my situation:

-iPhone 4
-Jailbroken with many jailbreak community apps
-on official firmware 4.0.1
-On AT&T, unlock is not something I care about

I have limera1n installed, and I'm about to give it a shot. But I'm still not sure what steps I need to take. I created a back-up of my current phone set-up in iTunes, but...what do I do now? Do I download 4.1 from iTunes when it gives me the prompt to? Do I limera1n it BEFORE I update to 4.1? How can I make sure my phone stays almost exactly the same as it is now, only with the current jailbreak and current official firmware?

2Crisis

DeathbyVolcano said:
Alright, I'm sorry, I'm still unsure of what to do. I have access to a windows computer right now (was able to authorize its use fro my iPhone), but here's the rundown of my situation:

-iPhone 4

I have limera1n installed, and I'm about to give it a shot. But I'm still not sure what steps I need to take. I created a back-up of my current phone set-up in iTunes, but...what do I do now? Do I download 4.1 from iTunes when it gives me the prompt to? Do I limera1n it BEFORE I update to 4.1? How can I make sure my phone stays almost exactly the same as it is now, only with the current jailbreak and current official firmware?

I think this is one of those your mileage may vary situations, but I'll let you know what I did since I had the exact same situation as you. I did NOT backup my jailbroken apps using aptbackup (figured it would be good to start fresh with these)

- Started off by transferring purchases to itunes to make sure my apps were backed up on my pc.
- Did a manual backup in itunes and then copied that backup to somewhere else on my pc just to make sure.
- Used iTunes to update the phone to 4.1. Phone updated, still had all my contacts/info.
- Now on 4.1, ran limera1n, jailbroke phone.
- used limera1n to install cydia

All in all It was a pretty painless process in my case, didn't lose any information or stock apps, only the cydia apps which I chose not to backup. hope this helps a little bit.

cnizzle06

Banned
2Crisis said:
If you do not need an unlock you have no reason to hold off.

Greenpo1son is going to rework the package to use limera1n anyway.

But it's sounding like this jailbreak is rather buggy?

2Crisis

cnizzle06 said:
But it's sounding like this jailbreak is rather buggy?

The bugs seem to be mostly on non A4 devices.

Since you have a iphone4 on 4.1 currently I doubt you would have any major problems a simple restart wouldn't fix. If you're hesitant just make sure you backup all your apps/music/video, and also do a backup in itunes before proceeding.

Worst case you have to do a restore and restore your non-jb 4.1 backup

I'm currently running JB on his second beta (hes on b4 now) and it is working perfectly

DeathbyVolcano said:

-iPhone 4

1.) backup your iPhone on your personal computer so that you have all your contacts/sms/mail etc saved.

2.) install TinyUmbrella and follow the instructions here to backup your SHSH blobs and upgrade http://www.theapplepress.com/2010/09/08/iphone-4-1-upgrade-retain-original-baseband-unlock-tutorial/ if you'd like to keep your baseband at the current or be able to ever downgrade. otherwise, I guess you could just skip the step and do an "upgrade"

3.) remember, in #2 you will be doing a "RESTORE" not an upgrade. Shift + click on "restore".

4.) After the phone has been upgraded to 4.1, run limera1n and follow the instructions it gives you. all you really have to do is put it into DFU mode (holding home + power for 10 seconds, then releasing the power button while continuing to hold home for 10 more seconds, then release.).

5.) At some point while Limerain is running, you should see a bigass green raindrop on your screen. It's doing it's thing. after it finishes it may or may not restart your phone. if it doesn't, turn it back on. then turn it off and on again.

6.) open the limera1n app and use it to install Cydia. that should be it.

cnizzle06

Banned
2Crisis said:
The bugs seem to be mostly on non A4 devices.

Since you have a iphone4 on 4.1 currently I doubt you would have any major problems a simple restart wouldn't fix. If you're hesitant just make sure you backup all your apps/music/video, and also do a backup in itunes before proceeding.

Worst case you have to do a restore and restore your non-jb 4.1 backup

I'm currently running JB on his second beta (hes on b4 now) and it is working perfectly

Ugh, I'm oddly nervous. I haven't done this before. :lol

Isn't there a website I'm suppose to back-up my files to or something?

2Crisis

cnizzle06 said:
Ugh, I'm oddly nervous. I haven't done this before. :lol

Isn't there a website I'm suppose to back-up my files to or something?

Yea read step 2 that Dreams just posted above. It's really only if you are interested in an unlock or potential future unlock though.

I'm definitely interested in Jailbreaking my iphone4, but I'm really worried about this missing App store thing. That seems like a pretty major bug to me. I would equate that to a bricking. Engadget reports that they couldn't get the app store back even after a restore. Even the chance of that is just unacceptable to me. How long should I wait for all this to be worked out?

2Crisis

DeathbyVolcano said:
I don't need the whole unlock thing.

Umm where are the manual backups located on a PC? I haven't used a PC in ages :3

# Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

# Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

DeathbyVolcano said:
I don't need the whole unlock thing.

Umm where are the manual backups located on a PC? I haven't used a PC in ages :3
I didn't unlock the whole thing either.

you don't need to know where they're located; only that you've backed it up recently. just sync the phone to YOUR computer. I think any computer other than your main one will make iTunes try to erase your phone.

cnizzle06

Banned
civilstrife said:
I'm definitely interested in Jailbreaking my iphone4, but I'm really worried about this missing App store thing. That seems like a pretty major bug to me. I would equate that to a bricking. Engadget reports that they couldn't get the app store back even after a restore. Even the chance of that is just unacceptable to me. How long should I wait for all this to be worked out?

Oh wow, I thought a restore would bring it back. Maybe I will hold off on this. :\

dream

Huh. I just rejailbreaked with beta 4 to uninstall the limerain app (didn't work fwiw) and this happened afterwards:

Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%201%2058%2056%20PM.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LovingSteam said:
It takes awhile. I'd say at least 15 minutes for me.

So if I'm following a tutorial to use TinyUmbrella's managed 4.1 iTunes restore option to update iOS to 4.1 while blocking the baseband update, I shouldn't be too concerned if the update seems to be stuck at around the 67% point on the iPhone, 95% point on iTunes?

It's been a good 10 or so minutes of nothing, and I'm starting to get concerned.

Mejilan said:
So if I'm following a tutorial to use TinyUmbrella's managed 4.1 iTunes restore option to update iOS to 4.1 while blocking the baseband update, I shouldn't be too concerned if the update seems to be stuck at around the 67% point on the iPhone, 95% point on iTunes?

It's been a good 10 or so minutes of nothing, and I'm starting to get concerned.
you should be concerned, but not concerned at the same time. because mine did that too.

OSX or Windows?

dream

Dreams-Visions said:
not unusual, really. mine does that on occasion. did you reboot?

Yup, several times. Other devices connected to the router are working fine.

Weird stuff.

dream said:
Yup, several times. Other devices connected to the router are working fine.

Weird stuff.
hmmm. not sure what's up with that. did you try removing the wifi connection and re-adding it?

if so, were there any Cydia apps that you may have installed that could be affecting it?

dream

Dreams-Visions said:
hmmm. not sure what's up with that. did you try removing the wifi connection and re-adding it?

if so, were there any Cydia apps that you may have installed that could be affecting it?

Yeah, I removed and readded the AP a few times to no avail. No Cydia apps other than SBSettings and 3G Unrestrictor right now...

It's strange because the phone thinks it's connected to the AP but it actually isn't.

Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%202%2013%2054%20PM.jpg

Top Bottom