• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Gentlemen, I am confused. I jailbroke with jailbreakme.com months ago. Does any of this limera1n and greenpo1son drama mean anything to me?

2Crisis

thechristoph said:
Gentlemen, I am confused. I jailbroke with jailbreakme.com months ago. Does any of this limera1n and greenpo1son drama mean anything to me?

Only if you want to update your firmware to 4.1

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mairu said:
What's the order of restore/backup then if you're restoring to a backup that occurred after you've jailbroken and have cydia apps and stuff on it?

I'd do a final check to make sure that all of your App Store apps and Cydia Store apps are up-to-date, run AppBackup and AptBackup (order of these two doesn't matter), sync with iTunes on your computer to back everything up (or at least right click on your iDevice and select the backup option), then proceed with the 4.1 update, the jailbreak, and the iTunes restoration (right click on your iDevice again).

In the case of AppBackup and AptBackup, you'll obviously need to be jailbroken again, and re-download these two apps from Cydia. But once you run them and elect to restore, they should facilitate the reinstallation of the rest of your unofficial apps.

I'm still kind of stuck on the updating to 4.1 step, so I can't really provide much insight beyond that. Should be fairly self-evident, though.

jts

...hate me...
@Dreams-Visions

I remember you had a kick-ass icon for biteSMS and a tutorial for how to change it. Can't find it now, care to point me out?

Axion22

Thanks for that walkthrough above. Did the firmware update via itunes after using Aptbackup and saving another backup of iTunes one.

Ran limera1n, told me how to put it in DFU mode. Did several reboots, looking to restore everything from Cydia now.

Alright fuck this, I'm just going to wait for the Mac version, this is too much of a hassle.

My phone is on 4.1 now, and for some reason some of my apps don't work (mostly games-Words with Friend, among others). And I guess that means I can't go back to my 4.0.1 version of my phone.

Blugh, release the mac version already.

Mairu

Mejilan said:
I'd do a final check to make sure that all of your App Store apps and Cydia Store apps are up-to-date, run AppBackup and AptBackup (order of these two doesn't matter), sync with iTunes on your computer to back everything up (or at least right click on your iDevice and select the backup option), then proceed with the 4.1 update, the jailbreak, and the iTunes restoration (right click on your iDevice again).

In the case of AppBackup and AptBackup, you'll obviously need to be jailbroken again, and re-download these two apps from Cydia. But once you run them and elect to restore, they should facilitate the reinstallation of the rest of your unofficial apps.

I'm still kind of stuck on the updating to 4.1 step, so I can't really provide much insight beyond that. Should be fairly self-evident, though.
Ahh, so you restore to the jailbroken backup after updating to 4.1 and jailbreaking 4.1

That makes sense

Still gonna wait a little bit before doing it

jts

...hate me...
hamchan said:
So limera1n has been stuck at "in DFU mode...wait" for quite a while now. Is this normal?

iPhone 3G btw.
From the website:

limera1n, 6 months in the making
iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G
4.0-4.1 and beyond+++
No iPhone 3G.

So yeah, I guess that's normal.

For the iPhone 3G you can use redsn0w. It has been around for iOS 4.1 for a couple of weeks now.

th3dude

hamchan said:
So limera1n has been stuck at "in DFU mode...wait" for quite a while now. Is this normal?

iPhone 3G btw.

I thought that limera1n wasn't compatible with the iPhone 3g?

From the site: iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So i was downloading some stuff when all of a sudden i get a warning saying springboard has crashed and has entered safe mode, whatever that means. I have hit restart in the message and have rebooted the phone, but i cant seem to get out of safe mode.
Help!

definitely looks like im sitting this one out until its implemented in pwnage tool

seems more rushed then most released jailbreaks

jts

...hate me...
eternaLightness said:
I got an Iphone 3g that was updated to 4.1 and has the 5.14.02 baseband.
You can jailbreak it anyway. But yeah, you can't unlock it.

rc213 said:
Have you checked if it's new or old bootrom?
That's for the 3GS.

Tried to restore my jailbroken iPhone 3GS (4.0.1) and iTunes hung up during the Update. Right after that I couldn't connect to Apple's software update servers. Had to touch my hosts file and edit that. Had to delete iTunes 10 and some device support packages after that and got the update to work finally. The device itself is running 4.1 without problems now.

As for now, I tried to jailbreak my iPhone twice now, but I get no limera1n icon on the screen. Everything looks just like before I run the jailbreak. So are there any solutions for this problem yet?

rc213 said:
Have you checked if it's new or old bootrom?

I believe it's the new one. I tried using Fuzzyband to downgrade it and said it wasn't supported. I'm a total noob at this stuff so I've just been keeping my eye out for every little bit of news that comes out.

Yea I can jailbreak, but I rely on an unlock so I'll just continue to wait.

rc213

eternaLightness said:
I believe it's the new one. I tried using Fuzzyband to downgrade it and said it wasn't supported. I'm a total noob at this stuff so I've just been keeping my eye out for every little bit of news that comes out.

Yea I can jailbreak, but I rely on an unlock so I'll just continue to wait.
Bummer, Guess it's has the new bootrom then.

jts said:
@Dreams-Visions

I remember you had a kick-ass icon for biteSMS and a tutorial for how to change it. Can't find it now, care to point me out?
absolutely. I revised and updated it a bit to support the whole "bitten" nature of BiteSMS.

Set 1 (transparent bite)

iconppj.png

bitemenu.png

Set 2 (2-tone bite)

iconzu.png

iconsmallt.png

Create 3 copies of the small image and name them:

> bite-menu.png
> Icon-Small.png
> Lock-screen-QR.png

Rename the large image

> icon.png

place the 4 total files in the /Applications/biteSMS.app folder and profit. :D

Mejilan said:
I've tried. It reverts immediately back to recovery mode every time. :(
status? I can't even find that 3024 error to even find out what that means.

1.) Consider plugging the USB cable into a different port.

2.) Also, are you running the most recent version of iTunes? If not, update it.

3.) Try putting the phone into DFU mode and running the restore from DFU mode instead of recovery mode.

4.) We may need to manually edit the HOSTS file. Not difficult at all. Just something we may want to do here.

Sorry I stepped out to a movie with the lady. I feel bad about being unavailable now.

Axion22

Update: Using 'Restore' in Aptbackup deleted all my legit iTunes apps. That is when I hate to shift + Restore from backup to get everything back.

Everything is back now, but all jumbled. Reorganizing now.

Yay, now get to join GameCenter & use HDR photos!

Ugh, I feel so neutered right now with regular ol' 4.1 on my phone and no jailbreak apps. The mac version can't come soon enough. I wish he'd release it already. Maybe tomorrow, considering he was considering Monday in the first place.

cnizzle06 said:
I just did and I still don't have it back :(
hmmm.

reboot? (I know that's a "duh" answer, but it fixes many a problem)

DeathbyVolcano said:
Ugh, I feel so neutered right now with regular ol' 4.1 on my phone and no jailbreak apps. The mac version can't come soon enough. I wish he'd release it already. Maybe tomorrow, considering he was considering Monday in the first place.
no friends with Windows on their computers? it'll only take about 30 seconds and won't install on their computer.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
hmmm.

reboot? (I know that's a "duh" answer, but it fixes many a problem)

Oh mother of god, that did it, I was about to cry since I didn't backup my phone on that site. Thanks.:lol

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
*bro fist*

And I downloaded installous thinking that there would be apps that neither cydia or the official app store have, but now I realize its just illegal apps. Think Im gonna uninstall it.

no friends with Windows on their computers? it'll only take about 30 seconds and won't install on their computer.

Well at the moment, no, but tomorrow I'll probably be around a few friends to be able to do so. I just wish people would release mac/windows versions together :'(

i downloaded a tron theme!

OMG i fucking love SBSettings. I hated having to go through 4 menus to turn stuff off.

Im happy so many of themes are free, but sad to learn during my "Best Cydia apps" searches, that the best apps and stuff still require purchasing, though i know you can steal those too, but i would prefer not to do that. How does setting up an account on cydia work?

Mailenstein said:
Tried to restore my jailbroken iPhone 3GS (4.0.1) and iTunes hung up during the Update. Right after that I couldn't connect to Apple's software update servers. Had to touch my hosts file and edit that. Had to delete iTunes 10 and some device support packages after that and got the update to work finally. The device itself is running 4.1 without problems now.

As for now, I tried to jailbreak my iPhone twice now, but I get no limera1n icon on the screen. Everything looks just like before I run the jailbreak. So are there any solutions for this problem yet?
It's kind of fucking annoying me now. I'm trying to downgrade back to 4.0.1 now, but I just noticed how Cydia is getting hammered atm, so unlucky me can't contact the server for shsh blobs. So all I can do is wait and try to downgrade tomorrow. I may be lucky then...

jts

...hate me...
Dreams-Visions said:
absolutely. I revised and updated it a bit to support the whole "bitten" nature of BiteSMS.

Set 1 (transparent bite)

> bite-menu.png
> Icon-Small.png
> Lock-screen-QR.png

Rename the large image

> icon.png

place the 4 total files in the /Applications/biteSMS.app folder and profit. :D
Score! Mega kudos, man!

Just a heads-up though, latest biteSMS version includes retina display icons which have the same name as the regular ones, only with "@2x" at the end. For example the main icon for retina display devices is called icon@2x.png, etc ;)

jts said:
Score! Mega kudos, man!

Just a heads-up though, latest biteSMS version includes retina display icons which have the same name as the regular ones, only with "@2x" at the end. For example the main icon for retina display devices is called icon@2x.png, etc ;)
oh okay. are they still pink? :(

bedlamite

The Bitesms icon certainly isn't for everybody, but yeah, it's nothing an SSH session can't fix.

SBSettings is truly awesome, I was running stock 4.1 for about 3 weeks because my 3.1.3 install crashed and I thought I'd upgrade and fiddle with Game Center for a bit, having to dig into the Settings menu just to adjust brightness settings was doing my fucking head in

I am soooo happy i did this. I love my phone moreso now and i didnt think that was possible.

My only complaint so far is that i cant seem to get a keyboard theme to work with my current overall theme that doesnt supply one. Thats so minor compared to the good though it seems silly to mention it. Still, anyone know a fix?

Gamer @ Heart said:
I am soooo happy i did this. I love my phone moreso now and i didnt think that was possible.

My only complaint so far is that i cant seem to get a keyboard theme to work with my current overall theme that doesnt supply one. Thats so minor compared to the good though it seems silly to mention it. Still, anyone know a fix?
would probably take some SSH'ing, which you may or may not be comfortable with at this point.

the outline of how I think you'd do it:

1.) find a theme with a keyboard you like (or hell, just a keyboard built-in)

2.) SSH into the phone and proceed to the folder that's holding the theme. find the keyboard theme content. observe its placement in the main theme folder along with the file names.

3.) If the keyboard is one you want to add to your preferred theme, try to copy the keyboard stuff to the folder for your preferred theme and respring.

4.) If you just want to change the colors of the PNG's, I'd probably recommend your favorite image editing program. make the color changes and overwrite the originals.

Mejilan

Dreams-Visions said:
status? I can't even find that 3024 error to even find out what that means.
1.) Consider plugging the USB cable into a different port.
2.) Also, are you running the most recent version of iTunes? If not, update it.
3.) Try putting the phone into DFU mode and running the restore from DFU mode instead of recovery mode.
4.) We may need to manually edit the HOSTS file. Not difficult at all. Just something we may want to do here.
Sorry I stepped out to a movie with the lady. I feel bad about being unavailable now.

6 FUCKING HOURS I've been pounding away at this. Can't tell you how much my head is throbbing right now. I Googled up everything I could think of. I discovered the differences between vanilla recovery and DFU modes. All that got me was a new set of error codes. I can't even begin to tell you. I got almost every iTunes restore error under the sun. 1164, 2000, 3012, 3024. I tried unplugging all of my USB devices save for mouse, keyboard, and iPhone. I tried switching USB ports. I disabled every single non-essential app and service on my computer. I screwed around with my Windows hosts file. I even fucking tried tunneling through via a VPN just to make sure that it wasn't my network or ISP that was borking my restore verifications and whatnot.

I just figured it out.
God damn mother fucking WiFi Sync. A Windows component to the Cydia WiFi Sync app that grants me over the air wireless syncing and backing up between my iPhone and iTunes. (And no, I wasn't stupid enough to try the restore over the air. That's known not to work for obvious reasons).

But it was god damn WiFi Sync that was ruining me. Just having it installed killed all of my efforts. It patches the Apple Device Manager in some fashion to allow OTA syncs, and apparently that patch doesn't play nicely with TinyUmbrella.

I've been literally pounding away at this since well before my last post in this thread, over 6 hours now.
But finally, after killing WiFi Sync, rebooting, and trying one last desperate restore (with TinyUmbrella running!) I finally got that magical error code I've been waiting for. 1004.
4.1 is successfully installed. Baseband is confirmed to be the original iPhone 4, 4.0 baseband. iTunes is now in the process of restoring my apps, content, contacts, and settings. And once this rubbish is done, I'll finally try out limera1n and get my Cydia apps back.

Motherfucking WiFi Sync. Who knew that such an awesome app could cause such havoc on a mostly natural iPhone update process? *sighs*

Mejilan said:
6 FUCKING HOURS I've been pounding away at this. Can't tell you how much my head is throbbing right now. I Googled up everything I could think of. I can't even begin to tell you. I got almost every iTunes restore error under the sun. 1164, 2000, 3012, 3024. I tried unplugging all of my USB devices save for mouse, keyboard, and iPhone. I tried switching USB ports. I disabled every single non-essential app and service on my computer. I even fucking tried tunneling through via a VPN just to make sure that it wasn't my network or ISP that was borking my restore verifications and whatnot.

I just figured it out.
God damn mother fucking WiFi Sync. A Windows component to the Cydia WiFi Sync app that grants me over the air wireless syncing and backing up between my iPhone and iTunes. (And no, I wasn't stupid enough to try the restore over the air. That's known not to work for obvious reasons).

But it was god damn WiFi Sync that was ruining me. Just having it installed killed all of my efforts. It patches the Apple Device Manager in some fashion to allow OTA syncs, and apparently that patch doesn't play nicely with TinyUmbrella.

I've been literally pounding away at this since well before my last post in this thread, over 6 hours now.
But finally, after killing WiFi Sync, rebooting, and trying one last desperate restore (with TinyUmbrella running!) I finally got that magical error code I've been waiting for. 1004.
4.1 is successfully installed. Baseband is confirmed to be the original iPhone 4, 4.0 baseband. iTunes is now in the process of restoring my apps, content, contacts, and settings. And once this rubbish is done, I'll finally try out limera1n and get my Cydia apps back.

Motherfucking WiFi Sync. Who knew that such an awesome app could cause such havoc on a mostly natural iPhone update process? *sighs*
fuck man. *bro fist*

I'd buy you a cold drink if I could.

Mejilan

Haha, I'm just happy that the worst is over. The limera1n process should go smoothly now.
I just wish it weren't so late in the night. I've got like 10 gigs of apps copying over now, and all I want to do is crawl into bed. But I really need to get my phone up and running before starting a new work week.

I partially bricked and recovered my PSP.
I partially bricked and recovered my Wii.
I partially bricked and recovered my DS.

But none of those road bumps were nearly as bad as this.

WIFI SYNC! YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!
Now to reinstall you. I can't say no to you.

son of a bitch. I just noticed I have Wifi Sync installed on my MBP. I bet that was why I could never get past that 95% on iTunes as well.

I wasted a lot of hours on that as well. fuck me. oh well. Now I know and can advice others who will inevitably have the same problem.

Top Bottom