• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

I'm trying to Jailbreak a friend's iPhone 3g that another friend tried to jailbreak and updated it to 4.1. I'm used to jailbreaking my iPod Touch, so i'm not sure what to do with the iPhone. It seems like you can update a certain baseband yet, so where can I check to see which one she has? She does want me to unlock it to Tmobile as well. Thanks for your help.

okno said:
BiteSMS is the shit! I don't know why it took me this long. What is the best emoji keyboard? I just like to mess with my brother haha.
Just be sure to replace the hideous pink icons with the GAF-approved icons a couple of pages back. Or from some other source.

rc213

cool_dude_2049 said:
I'm trying to Jailbreak a friend's iPhone 3g that another friend tried to jailbreak and updated it to 4.1. I'm used to jailbreaking my iPod Touch, so i'm not sure what to do with the iPhone. It seems like you can update a certain baseband yet, so where can I check to see which one she has? She does want me to unlock it to Tmobile as well. Thanks for your help.

Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware

Seanbob11

Dreams-Visions said:
absolutely. I revised and updated it a bit to support the whole "bitten" nature of BiteSMS.

Set 1 (transparent bite)

iconppj.png

bitemenu.png

Set 2 (2-tone bite)

iconzu.png

iconsmallt.png

Create 3 copies of the small image and name them:

> bite-menu.png
> Icon-Small.png
> Lock-screen-QR.png

Rename the large image

> icon.png

place the 4 total files in the /Applications/biteSMS.app folder and profit. :D

First of all, awesome icons. I used OpenSCH to change the icons, the phone thinks the icons are changed, but the ugly pink thing is there there :( Any ideas?

Seanbob11 said:
First of all, awesome icons. I used OpenSCH to change the icons, the phone thinks the icons are changed, but the ugly pink thing is there there :( Any ideas?
Did you respring/reboot your phone?

limera1n.com got updated with release candidate 1!
RC1 - out of beta! afc2, reliability improvements, no reboot for cydia, 2kb smaller

So I finally got my phone jailbroken on 4.1, cydia installed. I did my aptbackup restore. And all my jailbreak apps are back...but now all my regular apps are gone. What gives?

Seanbob11 said:
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be something to do with me using version 5 beta? I dunno :(
Beta status shouldn't really be the problem, because you are just changing icons there. YOu may repeat that and see if you saved it correctly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anyone tell me the cydia app that lets me change my text tone? Seriously been looking forever.

Also is there an update on this limera1n situation? As in, a way for me to take my 4.0 jailbroken new bootrom 3GS and upgrade it and keep all my cydia apps in the process too?

I finally got to try out bitesms today and it's amazing that it makes me ask how the flying fuck it is not standard. Texting within apps is essential.

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
So I finally got my phone jailbroken on 4.1, cydia installed. I did my aptbackup restore. And all my jailbreak apps are back...but now all my regular apps are gone. What gives?

Same thing happened to me after Aptbackup restore. This is the point where you Shift + Right-click and Restore from Backup.

jts

...hate me...
Seanbob11 said:
The app now supports retina display, so to you actually have to change the filenames to:

> bite-menu@2x.png
> Icon-Small@2x.png
> Lock-screen-QR@2x.png

and > icon@2x.png

Then proceed to copy them to the biteSMS folder and respring ;)
njean777 said:
So is there a jailbreak for iPhone 4 with 4.1 (I don't have the blobs stuff) or are they still working on it?
www.limera1n.com

njean777

jts said:
The app now supports retina display, so to you actually have to change the filenames to:

> bite-menu@2x.png
> Icon-Small@2x.png
> Lock-screen-QR@2x.png

and > icon@2x.png

Then proceed to copy them to the biteSMS folder and respring ;)
www.limera1n.com

Sweet have a project after school now anybody try this yet? Any good?

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
So what will happen when I do this? Brill I have to re-jailbreak my phone?

No, your jailbreak is good to go. It will reinstall all your legit Apps from the backup, unfortunately game saves will be gone, at least mine were.

jts

...hate me...
njean777 said:
Sweet have a project after school now anybody try this yet? Any good?
Pretty much everybody's doing it right now :p

I've done it on beta 5 (currently on beta 6), and in my opinion it's not only good, but awesome. No problems whatsoever and the iPhone 4 with JB is a blast. YMMV

Axion22 said:
No, your jailbreak is good to go. It will reinstall all your legit Apps from the backup, unfortunately game saves will be gone, at least mine were.
I can live with that. What about all my cydia apps, will I have to just manually install them or will they be safe after the shift+restore from backup option?

njean777

jts said:
Pretty much everybody's doing it right now :p

I've done it on beta 5 (currently on beta 6), and in my opinion it's not only good, but awesome. No problems whatsoever and the iPhone 4 with JB is a blast. YMMV

Alright will give it a go any good tutorials for doing this? I'm a noob at jailbreaking

jts

...hate me...
njean777 said:
Alright will give it a go any good tutorials for doing this? I'm a noob at jailbreaking
Tutorial:

-Plug your iPhone to a Windows PC with the latest iTunes installed.
-Run limera1n on that PC
-Simply follow the instructions on the screen until it says it went successfully

Go to the limera1n app on your iPhone, click on "install cydia" and you're good to go.

njean777

jts said:
Tutorial:

-Plug your iPhone to a Windows PC with the latest iTunes installed.
-Run limera1n on that PC
-Simply follow the instructions on the screen until it says it went successfully

Go to the limera1n app on your iPhone, click on "install cydia" and you're good to go.

Sweet thanks will update u guys when I get it finished. Oh one more thing if I jailbreak will I lose all my apps, contacts, etc...

rc213

Me too.

Reminder if you rely on unlocking to use a service other than AT&T be very careful with what you do.

Also backup your 4.1 SHSH blobs.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
Update #1: Because the “untethered” part of this jailbreak comes from a userland hack from @comex, you should still backup your SHSH hashes for 4.1. Do this by either letting Cydia keep them (“make my life easier”), or using Tiny Umbrella. This way you can always come back to an untethered, jailbreakable 4.1 on your devices after Apple has closed their 4.1 signing window (they’ll close the 4.1 window once they push out their next firmware version). If you fail to do this and ever need to restore to 4.1 again, you can still jailbreak but it will be a tethered JB (you’ll need to connect to your computer to finish the booting process, each and every time). And remember: you can backup your 4.1 SHSH hashes without even being at 4.1 or even being jailbroken,by using Tiny Umbrella.

jts

...hate me...
njean777 said:
Sweet thanks will update u guys when I get it finished. Oh one more thing if I jailbreak will I lose all my apps, contacts, etc...
With this jailbreak method you lose nothing, save for an unexpected or buggy occurrence.

However, I forgot to mention the very first step: have a backup made on iTunes should anything go wrong!

njean777

jts said:
With this jailbreak method you lose nothing, save for an unexpected or buggy occurrence.

However, I forgot to mention the very first step: have a backup made on iTunes should anything go wrong!

That was a given really. But thanks for the reminder.

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
I can live with that. What about all my cydia apps, will I have to just manually install them or will they be safe after the shift+restore from backup option?

You may have already done this by now, buuuut:

They will be there as the jailbreak won't be wiped out from the shift+restore from backup and should be there since Aptbackup did it's thing with the restore.

The way I'm figuring it, Aptbackup's backup function only saves a list of Cydia apps, the restore function wipes everything but what's on that list, which is the reason you have to shift+restore to get normal stuff back. Kinda annoying, really.

jts

...hate me...
This is so much fun. Right now I edited my lockinfo plugin icons and even created a portuguese localization for said plugins! So easy too!

Anyway, 3 issues:

What type of activation do you guys use with multifl0w? What feels more natural? I want to keep the double click on the home button for the multitasking dock.

Again, since it's not to safe to keep the default SSH password, how do you change it without mobileterminal?

Has OpenSSH been having some issues with you? Every now and then I have to reinstall it, otherwise cyberduck can't connect due to some premature disconnect something something I don't remember the exact wording but it can't connect. After reinstalling Open SSH everything gets back to normal instantly.

gokieks

jts said:
This is so much fun. Right now I edited my lockinfo plugin icons and even created a portuguese localization for said plugins! So easy too!

Anyway, 3 issues:

What type of activation do you guys use with multifl0w? What feels more natural? I want to keep the double click on the home button for the multitasking dock.

Again, since it's not to safe to keep the default SSH password, how do you change it without mobileterminal?

Has OpenSSH been having some issues with you? Every now and then I have to reinstall it, otherwise cyberduck can't connect due to some premature disconnect something something I don't remember the exact wording but it can't connect. After reinstalling Open SSH everything gets back to normal instantly.
You can change the root password by SSHing in with the default password and then changing it, or just install the version of Mobileterminal that works on iOS4.

enzo_gt said:
Can anyone tell me the cydia app that lets me change my text tone? Seriously been looking forever.

Also is there an update on this limera1n situation? As in, a way for me to take my 4.0 jailbroken new bootrom 3GS and upgrade it and keep all my cydia apps in the process too?
There isn't one. You have to use SSH and replace the default tone.

ravien56 said:
I wanna jailbreak but im worried the jailbreak might make my phone slower. What's the verdict?

It only makes it slower if you install an un-godly amount of resource hogging apps, which I don't know of many. Just do it (while of course taking precautions).

Seanbob11

jts said:

> bite-menu@2x.png
> Icon-Small@2x.png
> Lock-screen-QR@2x.png

and > icon@2x.png

You are my hero. Thanks! :)

wtf, during my restore, iTunes put on 6 gigs of shit that I have NO IDEA what it consists of. Not music, apps, books, or movies. What the hell.

Blackhead

Redarse
If you need a video guide to jailbreak then check out iClarified's How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 Using Limera1n (Windows):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBfVzlGzT_s

My 20 Must-Have Cydia Apps & Tweaks for iPhone

Federico Viticci said:
Until 2 days ago I was running iOS 4.2 beta on my iPhone 4. Then limera1n came out, and considering that 4.2 beta wasn’t't exactly running “smoothly” on my iPhone, and furthermore considering the lack of breakthrough features of 4.2 for the iPhone, I decided to go back to 4.1 and jailbreak once again. You can read everything about iOS 4.1 and the compatible Cydia apps here.

I missed jailbreak. I missed the tweaks and the customization, the possibility to FaceTime on 3G and the unlimited apps in folders. I missed just about everything of what the jailbreak community offers, and that’s what you get by living on the edge of software. When I went back to 4.1 and started pulling apps from Cydia again, I realized there’s this list of apps and tweaks I install every time a new jailbreak is out. Every single time.

Just like I did for the iPad and Mac OS X, here’s my list of 20 must-have apps from Cydia. Jailbreakers, this one’s for you...

*snip*

New must-have tweak: Announcing Mark Read 1.0 ($2)

Finally :)

jts

...hate me...
Great list, but it boggles the mind how something like lockinfo isn't included in every JB app recommendation guide.

Ugh, this is frustrating. This "other" info is apparently some bug with iTunes regarding music files that you have on your phone and causes it to happen if you interrupt a syncing process or whatever. You can delete the files through diskaid, but when I do, it only says its free until I sync it again, afterwards bringing back the 6 gigs of "other." I even tried deleting my music (because I don't listen to music on it, really) and still no dice.

At least its jailbroken :-/

I also am gonna take another shot with notified and all the cool hacks that go along with it. Should I be turning off push notifications in settings then?

th3dude

jts said:
Great list, but it boggles the mind how something like lockinfo isn't included in every JB app recommendation guide.
Care to share some tips on maximizing the usefulness of lockinfo? Lack of customization bothers me since I hate the crowded stock look.

jts

...hate me...
sn1pes said:
Care to share some tips on maximizing the usefulness of lockinfo? Lack of customization bothers me since I hate the crowded stock look.
Absolutely. First of all, get rid of the stock iPhone clock which is a waste of space and, to be quite honest, not very pretty (lockscreen clock hide on cydia).

Get the clock plugin for lockinfo to make up for it. It's awesome and includes a 5 week calendar (of course, you should choose that to be collapsed by default).

Get also the weather plugin, personally I love it.

Then set the order of your preference and which sections you want collapsed by default or not.

This is what mine looks like (don't mind the moon language):

photo20out20122c2002059.jpg

And don't forget, if you keep up with your email, missed calls and textes, you'll mainly only see your calendar and the weather (besides the clock, of course). Definetely not too crowded imo.

cnizzle06 said:
Yeah, my essential apps are on the bottom and I'd like the other things to be hidden if they're not needed.
hmmm. maybe something in Winterboard? not sure. BUT...you could always use InfiniFolders or that other folder app to stuff *all* of your apps into one folder. Infinifolders and the other app remove the artificial limitation for how many apps you can put in a folder. I've seen some nice designs like that at Macrumors. for example:

bc341cfb.jpg

as an alternate option, you could put all of your apps on page 2-x and hide the dots using Winterboard. that way, you only see the other icons if you swipe.

edit: the other app I couldn't remember the name of is "FolderEnhancer". don't know if FolderEnhancer has been updated to work with iOS4.1 yet, but Infinifolders has been. Infinifolders, however, is more simplistic limited. FolderEnhancer does more. I'd recommend googling both and picking one...because you should have one of them. they're that good.

Top Bottom