• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
hmmm. maybe something in Winterboard? not sure. BUT...you could always use InfiniFolders or that other folder app to stuff *all* of your apps into one folder. Infinifolders and the other app remove the artificial limitation for how many apps you can put in a folder. I've seen some nice designs like that at Macrumors. for example:

[IM]http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae305/Texas_Sabre/bc341cfb.jpg[/IMG]

as an alternate option, you could put all of your apps on page 2-x and hide the dots using Winterboard. that way, you only see the other icons if you swipe.

edit: the other app I couldn't remember the name of is "FolderEnhancer". don't know if FolderEnhancer has been updated to work with iOS4.1 yet, but Infinifolders has been. Infinifolders, however, is more simplistic limited. FolderEnhancer does more. I'd recommend googling both and picking one...because you should have one of them. they're that good.

This one's on me:

*Bro Fist*

Thanks, I'll consider these options. I was using the 'throw everything on the second page' method, but ever since I've jailbroken, they keep getting pushed back to the first page oddly.

Also, for the lockinfo, my sms notifier never displays no matter what I do. Is this a known issue?

Here's my lock screen currently:

photo-2.png

Okay this shit is pissing me off with this "other" nonsense. It only did this when I did my backup from restore, and I don't know how to fix it. Should I try doing another backup from restore? Or do I need to do a clean restore?

If I have to do the latter, will that mean my jailbreak will be gone? :(

enzom21 said:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/enzom21/b7a67da5.jpg like this? It is part of status notification, you have mail.

Yeah, I guessed as much. I was confused because I don't have statusnotifier or anything installed yet there was an envelope on my status bar! It's gone now, weird.

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
Okay this shit is pissing me off with this "other" nonsense. It only did this when I did my backup from restore, and I don't know how to fix it. Should I try doing another backup from restore? Or do I need to do a clean restore?

If I have to do the latter, will that mean my jailbreak will be gone? :(

Sucks you're having that problem.

Yeah, a clean restore will undo the jailbreak, but you'll be able to do it again.

Axion22 said:
Sucks you're having that problem.

Yeah, a clean restore will undo the jailbreak, but you'll be able to do it again.

If that's the case I'm just going to wait for the mac exploit (which seems to be taking longer than expected I guess according to limera1n's site). Bugger.

I'm thinking the issues was AptBackup. I'm just going to jot down which apps I use in cydia instead.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ahhh, it feels so damn good to be on 4.1.
It's also running quite a bit smoother than 4.0.1 did. I think I just had it too bogged down.

So here's basically what I did, in case others want to follow suit.

1) Make sure that all App Store and Cydia apps are up to date.

2) Purchase PkgBackup from Cydia (you can try the free AppBackup + AptBackup, but those totally failed for me. They'd both crash back to SB right after launching.)

3) Run PkgBackup to take a total inventory and backup of aaaaaall Cydia apps and settings. As a bonus, if you also have SBOrganizer and CategoriesSB purchased, PkgBackup, which is made by the same dude apparently, will backup your SB layout and custom folders, respectively. I don't use CategoriesSB, but I do use SBOrganizer, so that was an awesome bonus.

4) Perform a final iTunes backup+sync. This not only backups up your official apps, contacts, and settings, but also backups PkgBackup's backup, since it sneaks itself into "official iPhone data" somehow. :lol

5) Use TinyUmbrella to perform a managed restore (not upgrade) to 4.1 via iTunes, which 5installs iOS4.1 but blocks the baseband update, retaining my phone's unlock-able quality.

6) JB using limera1n. Easy-peasy. Install Cydia. Download PkgBackup from Cydia.

7) Perform a full restore-from-backup via iTunes to restore legit apps, contacts, settings, etc... and the PkgBackup data.

8) Run PkgBackup and select to restore from the backup you made in step 3. It connects directly to the relevant repo servers and downloads all of your Cydia apps for you. It'll elegantly skip apps that are blocked due to firmware conflicts, or downed/hammered repos, and move on down the list. It essentially keeps a checklist, letting you know how many apps were successfully restore. For me it was 110/120. Later attempts to re-restore from that backup eventually got the number up to 117/120. 3 remain incompatible with 4.1, so PkgBackup can't do anything about those.

Now I'm good to go. I didn't have to manually redownload any apps save for PkgBackup and the 5.0 beta of BiteSMS. I didn't have to reconfigure any of my Cydia or App Store apps. I didn't have to reorganize any of my folders or layouts, except for Game Center, which didn't exist on my iPhone before so wasn't part of the saved layout stored in PkgBackup. Now I think I'll perform that SSH surgery and swap out my BiteSMS icons.

Woooooo!

Edit - Uhh, should I "update" my JB to the newest beta and/or release candidate? I used beta 4 last night.

Edit 2 - And for those of you that noted my horror story a few pages ago, all of that was, amusingly, related to the official 4.1 update segment. But learn from me. Uninstall the Windows/Mac/Linux/Whatever WiFi Sync component before attempting the update. Something about it breaks Apple's/Cydia's/TinyUmbrella's/whatever's ability to authenticate the restore.

njean777

so i did the limera1n jailbreak and the only game i play the most PVZ does not work at all with the jailbreak anybody else having this problem?

I also installed suavehd may it be a problem with that or is it the jailbreak?

njean777 said:
so i did the limera1n jailbreak and the only game i play the most PVZ does not work at all with the jailbreak anybody else having this problem?

I also installed suavehd may it be a problem with that or is it the jailbreak?
uncheck the game in iTunes and sync. then check and sync to re-add to the phone. may fix it.

I swear, last question of the night:

Notified Pro is...much cooler than I remember. The only thing is...I don't want push notifications to happen anymore (the blue obtrusive window). How can I get it set to where I still hear the sounds and see the bades but don't get the push notifications? I still want to the notified info to come (through Notification Bar for Notified), just not the blue window. Do I just turn off "alerts" for all my apps?

Mejilan

DeathbyVolcano said:
I swear, last question of the night:

Notified Pro is...much cooler than I remember. The only thing is...I don't want push notifications to happen anymore (the blue obtrusive window). How can I get it set to where I still hear the sounds and see the bades but don't get the push notifications? I still want to the notified info to come (through Notification Bar for Notified), just not the blue window. Do I just turn off "alerts" for all my apps?

Another convert! Much like Auto3G, Notified started off very much a work-in-progress, and really came to its own in post-1.0 updates. Uh, I believe you can turn off push notifications for specific apps under Settings/Notifications. That should do the trick. I think.

ChRoNiTe

Just jailbroke my 4th gen iPod touch with Limera1n. Very straight forward and took about 2 minutes. I purchased the iBluever app from Cydia and am now tethering my iPod to my Blackberry via bluetooth for web access. Gotta love it. :D

th3dude

Mejilan said:
Another convert! Much like Auto3G, Notified started off very much a work-in-progress, and really came to its own in post-1.0 updates. Uh, I believe you can turn off push notifications for specific apps under Settings/Notifications. That should do the trick. I think.
What's the consensus of auto3g? Would it help my iphone 4?

xnipx

To turn off push notifications simply go to manage alerts from within the app. If u turn them off thru the iPhone settings they won't go thru

xnipx said:
To turn off push notifications simply go to manage alerts from within the app. If u turn them off thru the iPhone settings they won't go thru

Ah, I think I know what I'm doing wrong. Under "Manage Alerts," I have "Push" selected for each of the three options: show in lockscreen, show in springboard, and log notifications. Should I un-select the first two, then?

Any drawbacks?

other than costing 5 bucks, I can't think of any. I also don't use it because I don't really care about battery life

xnipx

DeathbyVolcano said:
Ah, I think I know what I'm doing wrong. Under "Manage Alerts," I have "Push" selected for each of the three options: show in lockscreen, show in springboard, and log notifications. Should I un-select the first two, then?

other than costing 5 bucks, I can't think of any. I also don't use it because I don't really care about battery life
Yea that's all u have to do. I thought that those options were for the notified app alerts at first too but they're for the apple ones. They will still push through to the notification bar when u turn them off

Seanbob11

My, stupid, little brother tired to update my mom's phone and lost the jailbreak...I don't have a sim to activate it either, any idea how to find out the bootrom and if greenpois0n would work?

bedlamite said:
Greenpoison, or however the fuck it's spelt, is out.

http://www.greenpois0n.com/

Windows only for now
Couldn't jailbreak my phone (3GS@4.1) with limera1n trying a variety of possibilities, but always rebooted without anything changed (no limera1n icon nor cydia store; and no, also no blank one). Hope greenpois0n will do the trick. Here's some hope! I'll report back in a couple of minutes.

EDIT: was about to download their file, but it seems they've taken it down due to users reporting it doesn't work. Oh my... I really need my fucking jailbreak asap...

rc213

MuscleNerd Twitter
For AppleTV 2G users, the goal is for PwnageTool to cover you by Funday/Sunday (but still very limited app capability)

So Sunday is expected release date for PwnageTool.

@dennis_rnb 3GS users at 4.2 will be covered for the carrier unlock (but not til 4.2 is out)

3GS 4.2 unlock ready for when it goes final!!!!

:O

theo

Contest Winner
Anyone tried the retinasizer tweak yet? Its a free tweak in Cydia that will render OpenGL games at retina resolution! It only works with a few games right now, with more on the way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
scorcho said:
i get sad when i see installous icons on jailbreak devices.

I put it on mine because when EDGE wasn't available on the store, that was your only option to get it. Then EDGE came back and I bought it. Then EDGE got pulled again and it was my only option to get it. Then EDGE got put back and I ended up buying it a second time.

I realize that's the exception more than the rule though :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
scorcho said:
i get sad when i see installous icons on jailbreak devices.
There are some legitimate reasons but for sure, most people with Installous aren't using it for legitimate reasons.

The only thing I wish I could change about Notified (well, moreso Notification Bar) is making the Notification Bar appear at the top of the screen, not the bottom. I don't like how it covers the slider on the lock screen.

DeathbyVolcano said:
The only thing I wish I could change about Notified (well, moreso Notification Bar) is making the Notification Bar appear at the top of the screen, not the bottom. I don't like how it covers the slider on the lock screen.
Try Statusbar Notifications for Notified.

rc213

No real difference between limera1n and greenpois0n. greenpois0n did work the first time and you see a bunch of commands scroll by on the iDevice screen. Loader worked the first time and Cydia installed with no issues.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
LockInfo also accomplishes this though it's infoshade feature and statusbar notifiers. it works a lot like Android.

Mejilan

sn1pes said:
What's the consensus of auto3g? Would it help my iphone 4?
Pretty farkin' awesome, if you ask me. Which you kind of did, I guess. I bought it for $6 when it first came out and basically did almost none of what it does now. More in the hope that it would gain the feature I most desired (auto-disabling of the 3G radio when a live wifi connection was available). It's completely exceeded my expectations since.

Originally, all it did was disable 3G when the device was locked. Pretty small rewards for an initial $6 (now $5, apparently) asking price.

Since then it's been updated to include the following features:
-set the default state when unlocked (EDGE, 3G, none).
-set the default state when locked.
-set the default state when charging.
-set the default state when wifi is on (yessssss!)
-adjust state switching timeout (in seconds), and...
-if those global rules aren't enough, set per-app whitelists to override globals.

Essentially, the app went from an overpriced jobber with a good heart, to a powerful battery-saving, data pipeline management tool. It's improved more than I hoped, and is that rare app that I consider to be essentially perfect at what it does. I couldn't be happier with it.

Mejilan said:
Pretty farkin' awesome, if you ask me. Which you kind of did, I guess. I bought it for $6 when it first came out and basically did almost none of what it does now. More in the hope that it would gain the feature I most desired (auto-disabling of the 3G radio when a live wifi connection was available). It's completely exceeded my expectations since.

Originally, all it did was disable 3G when the device was locked. Pretty small rewards for an initial $6 (now $5, apparently) asking price.

Since then it's been updated to include:
-the ability to disable 3G when wifi is on.
-the ability to
I'll finish this thought for him. In the beginning all it did was turn off 3G when you locked the screen. That caused problems with apps you actually need to have streaming over 3G with the screen locked. Pandora or WunderRadio, for example, where you just want to listen and don't need the screen on.

Now you can create a white list of apps that will prevent Auto3G from engaging itself. that was the only thing that was missing. the only really important feature, anyway.

Should save quite a bit of battery life.

Mejilan

So, if I performed the limera1n beta 4 JB, is there any point to 'upgrading' it to the newest limera1n release candidate? Greenpoison? Or is one JB with a set of exploits essentially the same as another JB with the same set of exploits?

Yeah, sorry about that last post. Having Atomic Browser keyboard issues...

rc213

Mejilan said:
So, if I performed the limera1n beta 4 JB, is there any point to 'upgrading' it to the newest limera1n release candidate? Greenpoison? Or is one JB with a set of exploits essentially the same as another JB with the same set of exploits?

Yeah, sorry about that last post. Having Atomic Browser keyboard issues...

As far as I can tell there is no difference, Updates are for issues where it failed completely. Where you couldn't remove the limera1n installer from the device. I redid mine with greenpois0n and notice no difference.

Top Bottom