• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Okay, so it looks like I have to do a full restore to factory settings (due to that damned "other" data storage bug). I'm jailbroken on 4.1 currently. How can I make sure my apps, both App Store and Cydia, can be brought BACK to my phone after I restore and update to 4.1 again? I bought Pkgbackup and did a backup there (with a sync to iTunes), and all my App Store apps are in iTunes obviously...so do I just restore, update to 4.1, jailbreak it, install cydia, and...pretty much win?

This is the ugliest jailbreaking process I've encountered :-/

DeathbyVolcano said:
Okay, so it looks like I have to do a full restore to factory settings (due to that damned "other" data storage bug). I'm jailbroken on 4.1 currently. How can I make sure my apps, both App Store and Cydia, can be brought BACK to my phone after I restore and update to 4.1 again? I bought Pkgbackup and did a backup there (with a sync to iTunes), and all my App Store apps are in iTunes obviously...so do I just restore, update to 4.1, jailbreak it, install cydia, and...pretty much win?

This is the ugliest jailbreaking process I've encountered :-/
I wrote the names all down of the apps I installed and just reinstalled them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If you created a restore with PkgBackup before wiping all of your Cydia apps, then backed THAT up to iTunes via a sync or manual backup, then you can safely wiped your unit, re-jailbreak it if necessary, reinstall Cydia, reinstall PkgBackup, restore from your iTunes backup, and then finally restore your Cydia apps via PkgBackup's restore.

I did that without any major issues. (Some repos were down, and some Cydia apps were blocked from installing on 4.1 until issues could be verified/corrected, but PkgBackup has great error handling and will just move on to the next one on the list, keeping a tally of which ones were properly restored, and which ones could not be. Future restore attempts will only try to redownload those apps that are still missing.

I tried to buy Notified Pro off Cydia with an Amazon payment, and it's been stuck at pending for three hours now. Is this normal? It seems kinda lame that it takes so long.

Blackhead

Redarse
Marty Chinn said:
I tried to buy Notified Pro off Cydia with an Amazon payment, and it's been stuck at pending for three hours now. Is this normal? It seems kinda lame that it takes so long.
That's not normal although it has happened to me once or twice. Some quick steps to try:

Try scrolling down the page. Sometimes Amazon doesn't format the page properly and you need to make a confirmation thats just out of sight.

Does the top right button (where the purchase button was) appear stuck or looks wearied. That might be because you double tapped too fast (*or something*) and that's the equivalent of pressing the back button when making a purchase in a browser. Exit Cydia and try again.

If you still get the pending message then take a break and come back in a few hours. The servers are getting slammed right now, as always immediately after a major jailbreak. Don't worry, if the purchase actually went through you won't be double billed.

Kirby102

Hey guys,

I've been for the past 3hrs on attempting to JB iOS 4.1 on my friend's iPod Touch 2G... but it's the ill fated MC model.

I've been following this guide: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.1-with-redsn0w-0.9.6-how-to-guide/, but it always keeps hanging on the "Waiting for reboot" screen, with the touch going blank and such. I've unplugged/replugged as what others have suggested, but it still wouldn't work.

Cheers guys, also, since I have possession of the iPod Touch atm, if I JB on my PC, then give it back, wouldn't it mean they have to restore it so it's compatible with their computer? And as such, since the touch is an MC model, wouldn't it wipe the JB too? :(

Charred Greyface said:
That's not normal although it has happened to me once or twice. Some quick steps to try:

Try scrolling down the page. Sometimes Amazon doesn't format the page properly and you need to make a confirmation thats just out of sight.

Does the top right button (where the purchase button was) appear stuck or looks wearied. That might be because you double tapped too fast (*or something*) and that's the equivalent of pressing the back button when making a purchase in a browser. Exit Cydia and try again.

If you still get the pending message then take a break and come back in a few hours. The servers are getting slammed right now, as always immediately after a major jailbreak. Don't worry, if the purchase actually went through you won't be double billed.

I got an e-mail from Amazon saying I authorized a payment. The page for the app just has the pending and a button to Recheck. I guess I'll wait a bit to see if it gets updated.

On a different note, when I search for Auto3G, it doesn't come up. Do I need to add a depot for that to show up in Cydia or should the default stuff allow to find it. If it should be there, any reason why I can't find it through search?

Thanks.

Do I need to upgrade to OFW 4.1 before using the Greenpois0n tool? I'm concerned about losing my existing JB settings and the site doesn't have a lot of info on it

rc213

Marty Chinn said:
I got an e-mail from Amazon saying I authorized a payment. The page for the app just has the pending and a button to Recheck. I guess I'll wait a bit to see if it gets updated.

On a different note, when I search for Auto3G, it doesn't come up. Do I need to add a depot for that to show up in Cydia or should the default stuff allow to find it. If it should be there, any reason why I can't find it through search?

Thanks.
Auto3G is on the BigBoss repo which should be added already but you might want to check.

PalaceBrother said:
Do I need to upgrade to OFW 4.1 before using the Greenpois0n tool? I'm concerned about losing my existing JB settings and the site doesn't have a lot of info on it

Yes you will have to update to 4.1 before using greenpois0n to jailbreak. Make sure you don't require an unlocked baseband before upgrading. As for your jb settings/apps you write them down or try one of the backup apps mentioned on the last couple pages.

rc213 said:
Yes you will have to update to 4.1 before using greenpois0n to jailbreak. Make sure you don't require an unlocked baseband before upgrading. As for your jb settings/apps you write them down or try one of the backup apps mentioned on the last couple pages.

Thanks. I don't know what an unlocked baseband is, so is it safe to assume that I don't need it?

I jb'd with the PDF exploit with no problem-I didn't touch baseband stuff.

rc213

PalaceBrother said:
Thanks. I don't know what an unlocked baseband is, so is it safe to assume that I don't need it?

I jb'd with the PDF exploit with no problem-I didn't touch baseband stuff.
Unlocked baseband is for people who use their iPhone on a service other than AT&T.

Make sure and do backups in iTunes to save your stuff.

rc213 said:
Unlocked baseband is for people who use their iPhone on a service other than AT&T.

Make sure and do backups in iTunes to save your stuff.

Will do. I'm on Rogers (Canada) and haven't unlocked the device.

Has anybody used the Wifi syncing app? $10 seems steep-but is it any good?

Took me around 48hrs to jailbreak this bitch, but it's finally done. I killed my phone like four times real bad and thought it's gone, but could always somehow revive it. Once only, because I deleted iTunes and some packages responsible for the mobile device support - think about it :lol !

Anyway, is there any new hot must-have stuff at Cydia beside "Mark read" (which is awesome!)?

PalaceBrother said:
Has anybody used the Wifi syncing app? $10 seems steep-but is it any good?
I do. I use it every now and then if I just need to do something quickly and it really gets teh job done well. It's pricey and if you are going to use it to sync 30 songs at once, safe your money. It's just too slow for big changes - which isn't the apps fault at all.

So i've been getting mixed reviews about whether or not I can unlock my friend's 3g 4.1 iPhone. Some places say you can do it with ultrasnow, others say that if you want to use the redsn0w0.9.6 beta 1 to jailbreak, you cannot unlock it with ultrasnow. Can anyone clear this up for me?

jts

...hate me...
cool_dude_2049 said:
So i've been getting mixed reviews about whether or not I can unlock my friend's 3g 4.1 iPhone. Some places say you can do it with ultrasnow, others say that if you want to use the redsn0w0.9.6 beta 1 to jailbreak, you cannot unlock it with ultrasnow. Can anyone clear this up for me?
If he's on 4.1 already without having preserved the previous baseband, you cannot unlock it in any way.

Otherwise, yes you can. redsn0w and ultrasn0w, yup. I've done it.

CassSept

Does greenpois0n include afc2?
It isn't there on limera1n and I have no idea how to install it manually :/

Edit: Oh, limera1n RC1 includes afc2. Nvm then.

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's infuriating, I have no idea what's keeping them. I read something about technical difficulties, but...really?
I'm using Macs myself, but I really don't see the problem to hook your iPhone up on a Windows machine. All you need is iTunes 10. It's not that hard.

CassSept said:
Does greenpois0n include afc2?
It isn't there on limera1n and I have no idea how to install it manually :/
It is included in limera1n RC1 and RC1b, so you may check that. Otherwise search for afc2add in Cydia. Should work.

I'm using Macs myself, but I really don't see the problem to hook your iPhone up on a Windows machine. All you need is iTunes 10. It's not that hard.

My phone is already jailbroken, but I have to do a full restore and do it over again because of some data storage bug. I have plenty of friends with Windows based computers but I want to be able to knock this thing out altogether from my place.

Manics

Banned
Any battery drain issues related to jailbreaking? I used to jailbreak back in the day, haven't done it in over a year or more so not sure what apps might cause battery drainage issues.

What's a good selection of apps for people to jailbreak for? That is, aside from customizing stuff like putting status icons on the lock screen, or 5 icon dock, why are people jailbreaking nowadays?

Edit: also I have an unlocked iPhone 4 bought from Apple, I assume there's no risk in jailbreaking, my phone is already unlocked?

jts

...hate me...
Manics said:
Any battery drain issues related to jailbreaking? I used to jailbreak back in the day, haven't done it in over a year or more so not sure what apps might cause battery drainage issues.

What's a good selection of apps for people to jailbreak for? That is, aside from customizing stuff like putting status icons on the lock screen, or 5 icon dock, why are people jailbreaking nowadays?

Edit: also I have an unlocked iPhone 4 bought from Apple, I assume there's no risk in jailbreaking, my phone is already unlocked?
I had no battery issues so far. YMMV

-SBSettings
-OpenSSH
-Lockinfo
-Activator
-biteSMS
-iFile
-AppLinks
-multifl0w

This is what I got and I love it.

And yes, you have no problems in jailbreaking an unlocked iPhone. Actually you're in luck that you'll never need to worry about upgrading basebands, etc.

Dartastic

I'm having a hell of a time finding OSX versions of the jailbreak tools. Do they exist?

Edit- NM, I read the past few posts. Fuck man. I don't wanna put this thing on Windows. :/

^ it won't have any effect on the Phone. it's not like you suddenly have to use it on Windows machines forevermore.
Manics said:
Any battery drain issues related to jailbreaking?
my battery life is now clearly much better than it ever could have been by default.

auto3G

DeathbyVolcano said:
My phone is already jailbroken, but I have to do a full restore and do it over again because of some data storage bug. I have plenty of friends with Windows based computers but I want to be able to knock this thing out altogether from my place.
I'm having the same issue man. 2.2 gigs of "other" data popped up since I jailbroke.

The only thing stopping me from doing a full restore is losing my save games. For the moment I just do without that space. Let me know how the restore gos.

ArcticDonkey said:
I'm having the same issue man. 2.2 gigs of "other" data popped up since I jailbroke.

The only thing stopping me from doing a full restore is losing my save games. For the moment I just do without that space. Let me know how the restore gos.

This might work for you: SSH into your phone or possibly use something like iFile to see if you can find anything that could be the 2 gigs of other data and delete it. I know EXACTLY what the data is on mine (some buggy music files) and they can't be deleted for some reason. Maybe you'll have better luck.

DeathbyVolcano said:
This might work for you: SSH into your phone or possibly use something like iFile to see if you can find anything that could be the 2 gigs of other data and delete it. I know EXACTLY what the data is on mine (some buggy music files) and they can't be deleted for some reason. Maybe you'll have better luck.
I already dug around with iFile and couldn't find anything but I'll try SSH later on, cheers.

Good luck to you as well, hope your restore works.

Dartastic

Ah, got everything jailbroken again. Slight problem though; BiteSMS won't launch. I don't know why. It starts then crashes. Help?

Is there a guide, I can follow to jailbreak my iPhone4?
Also, I have like over 1000 pics and some apps that i purchased on it, will those still be on my phone once I jailbreak it?

rc213

Awesome Appbackup worked like a charm, Setup as new iPhone and installed all my apps. Used Appbackup to restore my data and all my game saves are still there as well as the info for all my other apps. :D

adam.chance

Neo Member
Hey guys, I am having some issues with my iOS device (3gs). I updated from 3.1.2 to 4.1 today. I jailbroke using greenpoison this afternoon. Everything works just fine except for when I try to select, highlight, or search, text. When I hold my finger down to do that whatever app I am using crashes. Safari and SMS are the only two apps that really bother me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My battery seems like it was draining pretty fast after installing Auto3G, Notified Pro and Grip for Notofied Pro. I would hope it wasn't the Auto3G but that seemed to cause issues of it not being able to connect to edge sometimes and getting confused so I removed it for now. That would lead me to believe that Notified Pro is causing the battery drain. I can't imagine that to be normal, but not sure what else it could be.

Top Bottom