• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Tomasu said:
Okay, I jailbroke my 4G with Limera1n. Everything went smoothly.

What happens now when Apple releases a new version of firmware? Can I just install it normally? Also, if I want to get rid of the jailbreak for some reason, can I just restore the phone from an old unjailbroken backup or what?
no, you cannot. you have to wait until the jailbreak is prepared for the new OS unless you don't mind losing the jailbreak. time should be brief, since this is a different kind of exploit that Apple seemingly can't patch.

in short, remain patient. also, let Cydia backup your SHSH blobs. there is a button on the home page of Cydia that you can click to allow that.

Greenpois0n for Mac OS X has been released:

http://www.greenpois0n.com

Edit: RC3 only supports 10.6 - RC4 incoming shortly with 10.5 & 10.6 support. (Sorry PPC users :(.)

Edit 2:
[04:14] <Mailenstein> I bet it has been asked before but
[04:14] <Mailenstein> any chance for ppc support?
[04:15] <posixninja> Mailenstein, perhaps soon, strugling to get x86 supported right this second =P
[04:16] <posixninja> none of us have ppc machines, so it's hard to test, but we will try

i jailbroke 3 iphone 3g's over the last 24 hours using jailbreakme, such an awesome exploit, sad it died so soon :(

have tried to install TinyUmbrella on my mac 4 times now, i open the dmg, and then nothing happens at all

GodfatherX said:
elaborate?

id heard that pwnage was being updated today but see no mention of it anywhere on dev teams site

Yeah that's it. Musclenerd mentioned it on his twitter a while back but no news since.

0OoO0

NOOB QUESTION ALERT: I have just been given an old ipod touch from a friend (he doesn't use it anymore) and I want to put some apps in. The problem is when I connect to itunes, I can't see a apps tab on my device summary page. Which leads me to conclude that this ipod touch does not support apps. I have the latest itunes updates and my firmware is 1.1.5. Now how can I get this device t run apps? Do I need to jailbreak it? Sorry for being such a noob!

RubxQub said:
AndroidLock XT *$ - Unlock your phone with a drawn patter, a-la Android[/INDENT]

Just bought this app, and it forgot the pattern I defined. It was requiring both my passcode and the pattern, and after I turned off the regular passcode, it won't recongnize the pattern that previously worked. This pretty much sucks.

Edit: On this app's install screen, it says you can tap Home while on a call to get back to the settings, but that's not true. The home button doesn't do anything at all while you're on a call. Be careful of this program... I had to do a restore.

I need to sell my old 3GS, it is on 4.1 modem firmware 05.14.02 Everytime I go to restore, in itunes I get an error 3014. Any ideas on how to fix this?

edit: nevermind, somehow I got it to work. Not sure what I did different from the other 30 times.

jts

...hate me...
0OoO0 said:
NOOB QUESTION ALERT: I have just been given an old ipod touch from a friend (he doesn't use it anymore) and I want to put some apps in. The problem is when I connect to itunes, I can't see a apps tab on my device summary page. Which leads me to conclude that this ipod touch does not support apps. I have the latest itunes updates and my firmware is 1.1.5. Now how can I get this device t run apps? Do I need to jailbreak it? Sorry for being such a noob!
1.1.5 is like really oooold firmware, the app store came with iOS 2, so yeah, update your firmware.

thechristoph said:
Just bought this app, and it forgot the pattern I defined. It was requiring both my passcode and the pattern, and after I turned off the regular passcode, it won't recongnize the pattern that previously worked. This pretty much sucks.

Edit: On this app's install screen, it says you can tap Home while on a call to get back to the settings, but that's not true. The home button doesn't do anything at all while you're on a call. Be careful of this program... I had to do a restore.
You pretty much did everything wrong what one can do wrong. The program itself is pretty decent. That... if you can remember your lock pattern.

Can anyone help me install themes for the iphone through windows? I just jail-broken my 3gs and I want some cool themes. There a couple of awesome themes I found through macthemes.com and I download them and it gives me a rar file. How would I place this on the iphone?

rc213

Magnificent Bastard said:
Can anyone help me install themes for the iphone through windows? I just jail-broken my 3gs and I want some cool themes. There a couple of awesome themes I found through macthemes.com and I download them and it gives me a rar file. How would I place this on the iphone?

Winterboard installed? OpenSSH installed? I use WinSCP 4.29 to upload the themes into /private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx.

After it's done, Open Winterboard choose the theme you uploaded and respring from Winterboard.

thechristoph said:

i think if you had someone call you, you could have answered the call, then hit home and gotten into the Settings.

too late now, though, I guess.

really wish dev-team would release with the limerain exploit, dont want to use greenpois0n, and i cant get tinyumbrella to work on my mac

hey guys, I'm considering exchanging my iPhone 4 because the home button regularly ignores my presses (seems to be something wrong with the button itself). Just have a basic question: if I exchange it for one that comes with 4.1, I can jailbreak it without problem, right? I'll just be stuck with the new baseband?

Dreams-Visions said:
hey guys, I'm considering exchanging my iPhone 4 because the home button regularly ignores my presses (seems to be something wrong with the button itself). Just have a basic question: if I exchange it for one that comes with 4.1, I can jailbreak it without problem, right? I'll just be stuck with the new baseband?

Correct.

rc213

MucleNerd tweets showing PwngageTool, Out today barring any bugs. geohots has a iboot untethered exploit he is holding back. Also showed new unlock running on 4.1 but won't be released until 4.2 is public. D:

rc213 said:
MucleNerd tweets showing PwngageTool, Out today barring any bugs. geohots has a iboot untethered exploit he is holding back. Also showed new unlock running on 4.1 but won't be released until 4.2 is public. D:
another day gone by, another day without pwnage tool :(

plasmasd

I had alot of fun with my jailbroken 3G, but with the ability to hook it up to a monitor and a much faster processor, I can't go anywhere without my 4 by my side.

I made this little video with another hacked device (hacked panasonic gh1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJM0XlHA3A

BTkeyboard and the ps3 keypad + wordpress app make it great to blog from anywhere, and the Wiimote plus classic controller capability make it a fantastic portable classic gaming console.

Oh! The "Almost DSLR" app's ability to lock exposure, focus and WB make it the best phone app I've seen for shooting video with a phone.

kottila

I'm on 3.0 on my touch 3gs. i've used blackra1n to jailbrake. How do I upgrade the firmware without losing everything?

for those who care, I had no problem swapping out my iPhone. they immediately agreed it was a hardware failure (home button only worked half the time it was pushed) and pulled out a new phone for me. as luck would have it, the new phone I got was still on 4.0.2, so it still had the 1.59.00 baseband...which I used TinyUmbrella to save and upgraded to 4.1. I was back up to 100% after maybe an hour of restoring and re-installing Cydia stuff.

kottila said:
I'm on 3.0 on my touch 3gs. i've used blackra1n to jailbrake. How do I upgrade the firmware without losing everything?
well you are going to have to reinstall everything from Cydia.

as someone here recommended, take screenshots of your list of repos and all of your Cydia apps, so that you can find them again quickly.

do a standard sync backup, then go here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-with-limera1n-how-to-video-guide/

after that, install Cydia through the limera1n app, restore your last backup and reinstall all your jailbreak stuff.

if there were special custom modifications you made to jailbreak apps (say...custom theme configurations for Winterboard), you'll need to SSH into the phone and copy those to your computer. otherwise, you should be good with the above info.

rc213

More MuscleNerd awesomeness

it is 100% that a new baseband unlocker will be out for 3G+3GS. Still working on the i4 side of that though.

waiting for 2 members to wake up, both overseas :)

a few, but they're worked out. Now it's just normal "release mechanics"

Good news for iPhone 3G/3GS 4.1 users who need an unlock. Looks like PwnageTool is done but he is waiting for a few members of the team. :O

kottila

Dreams-Visions said:
for those who care, I had no problem swapping out my iPhone. they immediately agreed it was a hardware failure (home button only worked half the time it was pushed) and pulled out a new phone for me. as luck would have it, the new phone I got was still on 4.0.2, so it still had the 1.59.00 baseband...which I used TinyUmbrella to save and upgraded to 4.1. I was back up to 100% after maybe an hour of restoring and re-installing Cydia stuff.

well you are going to have to reinstall everything from Cydia.

as someone here recommended, take screenshots of your list of repos and all of your Cydia apps, so that you can find them again quickly.

do a standard sync backup, then go here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-with-limera1n-how-to-video-guide/

after that, install Cydia through the limera1n app, restore your last backup and reinstall all your jailbreak stuff.

if there were special custom modifications you made to jailbreak apps (say...custom theme configurations for Winterboard), you'll need to SSH into the phone and copy those to your computer. otherwise, you should be good with the above info.

Seems like my headphone jack just broke, so I might have to upgrade to a 64g 4thgen instead.

Oni Jazar

Every day or so I've had the volume image stuck on the screen and it won't go away until I reboot. I really don't have any jailbreaks installed except for lockinfo. Does anyone have a clue?

76H0M.png

cnizzle06

Banned
No matter what I do, I can't seem to get iBlacklist to work properly anymore, so I think I'm going to restore everything. Is there anything I should consider before doing this? Any possible complications?

plasmasd said:
I had alot of fun with my jailbroken 3G, but with the ability to hook it up to a monitor and a much faster processor, I can't go anywhere without my 4 by my side.

What piece of software are you using to hook up your iPhone4 to your TV/monitor? And what cable are you using it?

cnizzle06 said:
No matter what I do, I can't seem to get iBlacklist to work properly anymore, so I think I'm going to restore everything. Is there anything I should consider before doing this? Any possible complications?
is it compatible with 4.1?

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
hate to ask the obvious, but did you already uninstall it in Cydia, then reinstall it?

Ha, yep, as already mentioned, I've tried just about everything. Restoring then jailbreaking again isn't that big of a process, right?

cnizzle06 said:
Ha, yep, as already mentioned, I've tried just about everything. Restoring then jailbreaking again isn't that big of a process, right?
no, it'll go faster than the first time. just be sure to take screen shots or jot down the apps and repositories you added to Cydia. so that you don't have to do a lot of searching.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
no, it'll go faster than the first time. just be sure to take screen shots or jot down the apps and repositories you added to Cydia. so that you don't have to do a lot of searching.

Will do, I have to restore it as 'new' right? And if so, won't that conflict with the itunes apps I've purchased?

Top Bottom