• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yep. I'd enable TinyUmbrella just to make sure no funny business with the baseband happens. though if you don't care about the baseband, just restore away.

Yeah, I'm with AT&T so I presume it doesn't really matter. Also I edited my other post:

...And if so, won't that conflict with the itunes apps I've purchased?

cnizzle06 said:
Yeah, I'm with AT&T so I presume it doesn't really matter. Also I edited my other post:

...And if so, won't that conflict with the itunes apps I've purchased?
no, no conflict. just sync the phone and restore. when it finishes it'll ask you if you want to restore from your last backup...or it'll automatically assume so (I can't remember which). then it'll re-add all the apps and songs n' such.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
no, no conflict. just sync the phone and restore. when it finishes it'll ask you if you want to restore from your last backup...or it'll automatically assume so (I can't remember which). then it'll re-add all the apps and songs n' such.

Sorry, I'm confused. So I say yes when it asks to restore from my last back-up? I thought I had to restore it to 'new'. Or are those two separate things?

cnizzle06 said:
Sorry, I'm confused. So I say yes when it asks to restore from my last back-up? I thought I had to restore it to 'new'. Or are those two separate things?

You're restoring to the official firmware.

Then you're restoring from a back-up which contains songs, apps, messages, emails, contacts etc.

So yeah, two seperate things.

cnizzle06

Banned
roosters93 said:
You're restoring to the official firmware.

Then you're restoring from a back-up which contains songs, apps, messages, emails, contacts etc.

So yeah, two seperate things.

Awesome, thanks guys.

cnizzle06

Banned
Ruh roh, so it would appear that it froze up in the process of restoring. The bar underneath the apple stopped moving. So er, what now?

rc213

cnizzle06 said:
Ruh roh, so it would appear that it froze up in the process of restoring. The bar underneath the apple stopped moving. So er, what now?
It should error out eventually just give it time.

cnizzle06 said:
Well, I suppose I'll continue to wait then. I wonder what caused this. Will it give me the option to try it again once it fails?
yep.

it will probably be in restore mode or DFU mode. either mode will allow you to try it again. and again and again if necessary. you can't brick the phone.

make sure you don't have anything like Wifi Sync (jailbreak app for wireless syncing) installed on your computer.

in fact, I've certainly pulled the phone out at times like this and started over. but that's up to you.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yep.

it will probably be in restore mode or DFU mode. either mode will allow you to try it again. and again and again if necessary. you can't brick the phone.

make sure you don't have anything like Wifi Sync (jailbreak app for wireless syncing) installed on your computer.

in fact, I've certainly pulled the phone out at times like this and started over. but that's up to you.

Ha, crap, I do actually have that installed. So...are you suggesting I pull the plug out?

cnizzle06 said:
Ha, crap, I do actually have that installed. So...are you suggesting I pull the plug out?
glad I asked. you would have been til morning trying to get it to install and it never would have because of that app.

uninstall the app. and yea, you mine as well pull the phone off the cord. close itunes and re-open, then try again. if it doesn't work that time, you *might* need to restart. I can't remember if I needed to do that or not...but keep in mind you might have to.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
glad I asked. you would have been til morning trying to get it to install and it never would have because of that app.

uninstall the app. and yea, you mine as well pull the phone off the cord. close itunes and re-open, then try again. if it doesn't work that time, you *might* need to restart. I can't remember if I needed to do that or not...but keep in mind you might have to.

I think that did it. As soon as I uninstalled the software, the phone went into recovery mode. And yeah, I would've inevitably smashed the phone into the wall if you hadn't told me that. Thanks. :D

roosters93 said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, if I wish to preserve my unlockable baseband, I have to wait for sn0wbreeze to update to 4.1 and jailbreak my 3Gs (old bootrom) with baseband 05.13.04 as I'm on Winows? :(

And has anyone ever heard of Tonefxs? http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/10/18/tonefxs-custom-alert-tones/

Apparently it's been out for 2 years for $5, but I always thought the only way to replace message tones etc was via SSH.

I've used it and it lets you do a lot with the tones and even let you randomize your ringtones. The nice thing is there is a trial period and you can set everything up the way you want it and then it stays even after the trial is up. You can also revert after the trial is up, and the only reason to pay is if you want to make any more changes. So if you're unsure of the price, just download it and set things up before the trial ends and you're golden.

cnizzle06 said:
I think that did it. As soon as I uninstalled the software, the phone went into recovery mode. And yeah, I would've inevitably smashed the phone into the wall if you hadn't told me that. Thanks. :D
let us know when it's working again.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
let us know when it's working again.

Ugh, well this isn't good. So it failed again, at which point I decided to unplug it and restart my computer. The iphone is still displaying that load screen. Anywho, iTunes isn't even recognizing that it's plugged back in now....what a lovely night. :lol

So does that mean I have to let the battery run dead now? God, that's gonna be a while.

cnizzle06 said:
Ugh, well this isn't good. So it failed again, at which point I decided to unplug it and restart my computer. The iphone is still displaying that load screen. Anywho, iTunes isn't even recognizing that it's plugged back in now....what a lovely night. :lol
hmm. hold the power and home buttons for a few seconds to see if you get anything on the screen or to see if iTunes will pick it up in DFU/Recovery mode.

It'll get itself together. Eventually. :-/

Power + Home are your friends.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
hmm. hold the power and home buttons for a few seconds to see if you get anything on the screen or to see if iTunes will pick it up in DFU/Recovery mode.

It'll get itself together. Eventually. :-/

Power + Home are your friends.

Alright, well that got it back to syncing with itunes. I feel so incompetent for not considering to hold down both buttons. Thanks for holding my hand. :lol

dyls

So does anyone know a way to jailbreak an iPhone 4 running 4.1 with a PowerPC Mac? I would really appreciate. Having no MiWi today really killed me.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
*GAF brofist*

glad to be able to help.

Okay, it's been restored. Now I just want to be certain, it's asking me if I should back up from Christopher's iPhone (Me!) or set up as a new phone? So...new phone?

Edit: Reread the stuff above...so from my backup?

Marty Chinn said:
I've used it and it lets you do a lot with the tones and even let you randomize your ringtones. The nice thing is there is a trial period and you can set everything up the way you want it and then it stays even after the trial is up. You can also revert after the trial is up, and the only reason to pay is if you want to make any more changes. So if you're unsure of the price, just download it and set things up before the trial ends and you're golden.

Good to know, thanks.

cnizzle06 said:
Okay, it's been restored. Now I just want to be certain, it's asking me if I should back up from Christopher's iPhone (Me!) or set up as a new phone? So...new phone?

Edit: Reread the stuff above...so from my backup?
yes. restore your backup. then jailbreak. or jailbreak then restore. whichever order you prefer. doesn't matter at this point.

Mairu

anyone know if there is an auto capitalization toggle for sbsettings?
also, where can I go for the jailbreak scene on iPad? friend looking at all my jb stuff and wanting to jailbreak :lol

Mairu said:
also, where can I go for the jailbreak scene on iPad? friend looking at all my jb stuff and wanting to jailbreak :lol
gonna guess his ipad is on 3.2, in which spirit works painlessly, 1 click jailbreak or even easier jailbreakme.com

now for pwnage tool use for my iphone 4, i want to retain the ability to unlock

curretly on 4.0.2, baseband 01.59.00

tinyumbrella does not work on my mac

I download the official 4.1 ispw then use pwnage tool to build a custom jailbreak 4.1 firmware and then restore to that firmware in itunes

basically never restore to 4.1 using the official ispw, stay on 4.0.2 then restore to the pwnaged 4.1 ispw right?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Is there any way to save the arrangement of icons and folders?

I have tons of things on my phone and rearranging everything is tedious =/

Midas

Has anyone got the 3G Unrestrictor to work with iPad? The Wired app just keep telling me to use WiFi. :(

And I'll ask again: anything like IntelliScreen for iPad?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Is there any way to save the arrangement of icons and folders?

I have tons of things on my phone and rearranging everything is tedious =/
1. Take lots of screencaps
2. Put said pics on computer (or just leave them on your iPhone, whatever)
3 Rearrange everything on iTunes to make it faster than it would be doing it on yiur phone and copy the layout from the pics

I known it's not what you're looking for but I think it's a good option when you don't have any other options. :)

LegoDad

my question is what does the new baseband do that the old one doesn't, besides it can't be unlocked as of now. What enhancements are in the new baseband, better signal, faster data speeds, etc..

caliblue15 said:
my question is what does the new baseband do that the old one doesn't, besides it can't be unlocked as of now. What enhancements are in the new baseband, better signal, faster data speeds, etc..
nothing that I've ever heard of.

Blackhead

Redarse
caliblue15 said:
Mostly likely no enhancements as the factory unlocked iPhone 4s haven't gotten any baseband updates.

Axion22

Mairu said:

Explain this auto-capitalization. What are you trying to accomplish that the keyboard control doesn't allow?

Mairu

Axion22 said:
Explain this auto-capitalization. What are you trying to accomplish that the keyboard control doesn't allow?
The auto capitalization toggle in the settings that automatically capitalizes the first letter of every sentence and such.

Axion22

Mairu said:
The auto capitalization toggle in the settings that automatically capitalizes the first letter of every sentence and such.

Oh, I get it.

I did some searching, couldn't find anything except CToggle that controls auto-correction. I'm actually surprised there isn't something.

Pctx

Banned
Bit the bullet on getting MiWi and its the best $20 bucks I've spent. Able to do work for school plus Torchlight and TF2 while down at the beach house all over Wi-Fi. :lol

Dez

Charred Greyface said:
Mostly likely no enhancements as the factory unlocked iPhone 4s haven't gotten any baseband updates.

I don't think this is true - my canadian iphone4 is factory unlocked but it got the 02.10.04 modem firmware with 4.1.

Mairu

Can anyone recommend a good jailbroken/nonjailbroken IM app? I didn't really like the AIM app, and the Trillian app is really, really buggy. Not sure what else to waste my time/money on but Trillian not actually logging me out half the time and having me receive messages after I disconnect or attempt to close the app is getting really annoying. Just need something that can do AIM/GTalk well

Mairu said:
Can anyone recommend a good jailbroken/nonjailbroken IM app? I didn't really like the AIM app, and the Trillian app is really, really buggy. Not sure what else to waste my time/money on but Trillian not actually logging me out half the time and having me receive messages after I disconnect or attempt to close the app is getting really annoying. Just need something that can do AIM/GTalk well

The go to app that people will recommend is Beejive. It costs about $10, but is currently pretty stable and reliable. I use it for gtalk and aim all the time. It used to be a buggy mess but its good now.

Ashhong

Mairu said:

I dont get it. In the settings menu that auto-capitalization toggle does exactly what u want. Are you saying you want easy access to this setting?

Mairu

Ashhong said:
I dont get it. In the settings menu that auto-capitalization toggle does exactly what u want. Are you saying you want easy access to this setting?
yes, I was hoping for an sbsettings toggle but can't find one

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I haven't been up to date with the scene for while, and today I was given an iPod touch 3G to jailbreak (running 4.1). I realized there are two options for jailbreaking, either geo's limera1n or chronic's greenpois0n, so which is the safest method?

Pctx

Banned
Mairu said:
whatsapp is awesome.

Hela

Ever since I used limera1n (RC1b I think) to jailbreak my 3GS MC it loses the signal quite frequently, which it'd never done before. Should I jb it again with the latest limera1n to sort this out?

Just found this thread.

Q1. Does backing up also save your game progression or iBook notes and highlights?
Q2. What's the app for the iPad that allows bluetooth transfers?
Q3. Any themes/apps you'd recommend?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hela said:
Ever since I used limera1n (RC1b I think) to jailbreak my 3GS MC it loses the signal quite frequently, which it'd never done before. Should I jb it again with the latest limera1n to sort this out?
Do you have ultrasn0w installed?
It's pretty well broken with the limera1n jailbreak, and I assume greenpois0n, which uses the same exploits, I hear. At least, the limera1n/ultrasn0w issue was true as of a few weeks ago.

Axion22

Meus Renaissance said:
Just found this thread.

Q1. Does backing up also save your game progression or iBook notes and highlights?

No to game data. My restore from backup reinstalled all my apps to their original states. :(

I went from 4.0.1 so I didn't have GameCenter, so that might save achievements, but I'm not sure.

Mairu

One of the best apps to install after jailbreaking it on any version is AppBackup, extremely useful for restoring & updating as it saves all the application data (or whichever apps you choose)

Pachimari

Hi all. I just came home from vacation in Asia and see that iOS 4.1 can be jailbroken on the iphone 4. Do I choose Limerain or greenpoison? I'm looking to restore the phone completely and then update to 4.1 before jb'ing. Any good links for a step by step guide? The phone is already jailbroken on 4.0.1.

Top Bottom