• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Duane Cunningham said:
Awesome. Except I need to both jailbreak and unlock my 3GS (and my wife's 3G). Oh well, Sunday they'll release pwnagetool. I guess that's not too long to wait.
is that the official word from Dev-team?

I never seem to see these release dates anywhere

Mailenstein said:
limera1n for Mac is out:

http://limera1n.com

Went through SOOOOO much trouble to jailbreak with a windows (i have a mac) i didnt have access to throughout, and NOW they release a mac. Im grateful and all but next time just release the tools when the mac/windows version is ready. Jesus - I'm mad yes.

Frustrated_me said:
Went through SOOOOO much trouble to jailbreak with a windows (i have a mac) i didnt have access to throughout, and NOW they release a mac. Im grateful and all but next time just release the tools when the mac/windows version is ready. Jesus - I'm mad yes.
Me too, and it took me 48 hours to jailbreak my iPhone using a few different Windows machines. But to be honest it was like this since... ever? So no news here actually.

Dartastic

Is there an app to allow all icons to be displayed on a single page with vertical scrolling, like within infinifolders and on android devices?

rc213

GodfatherX said:
is that the official word from Dev-team?

I never seem to see these release dates anywhere
MuscleNerd has mentioned sunday on his twitter and he just posted that geohots exploited has been fully ported into pwnagetool.

ChRoNiTe

Last night I synced a couple of episodes of The Simpsons to my iPod Touch. This morning when I went to watch one it says there are no videos on the device. Then I went to listen to some music, and lo and behold it says there isn't any music either. All my apps from iTunes are still available, so are the ones from Cydia. Where did all my media go? Has anybody else encountered this before?

ChRoNiTe said:
Last night I synced a couple of episodes of The Simpsons to my iPod Touch. This morning when I went to watch one it says there are no videos on the device. Then I went to listen to some music, and lo and behold it says there isn't any music either. All my apps from iTunes are still available, so are the ones from Cydia. Where did all my media go? Has anybody else encountered this before?
Do you handle your music manually? Then yes.

jbbb

Hi guys,

I have a virgin iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and I don't rely on unlock to use it, is there any need to prevent the baseband update before upgrading for 4.1 or that is just for those who rely on unlock to use the phone?

Thanks.

ChRoNiTe said:
As a matter of fact I do. Is this some kind of bug/glitch?
Well when you restore the phone, everything will be deleted and your backup you made before doesn't contain songs or videos nor information which were on the device. So when you restore your phone everything beside music and videos will be restored of course. I handle that the same way like you do and don't play around with playlists, so I don't know if there is really a difference.

jts

...hate me...
jbbb said:
Hi guys,

I have a virgin iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and I don't rely on unlock to use it, is there any need to prevent the baseband update before upgrading for 4.1 or that is just for those who rely on unlock to use the phone?

Thanks.
Say you want to sell it, you'll always get more money for an unlocked (or unlockable) iPhone.

Or should you travel abroad, with unlock you can use a foreign SIM.

But there's no actual need, yes.

dyls

For any of you with PowerPC macs, limera1n doesn't appear to work on them. I just tried and was told that the program doesn't work on my architecture. Of course, I had already upgraded my phone to 4.1. Can I use an old backup to go back, or will it keep the 4.1 and only affect other settings?

SleazyC

Just upgraded and restored a back up created using PkgBackup and am missing the majority of my apps. That didn't work out as well as I thought it would.

Seth C

Have there been reports of issues recording video after the jailbreak? Today I have "lost" several videos I tried to record. The screen suggests it is recording, the timer counts up, I hit the button to stop recording and then when I go look in the photos the video just isn't there. I recorded about 6 today and 3 of them just vanished without a trace. One was actually a birthday video of candles being blown out and it's just not there. I don't get it.

So I just browsed to my iPhone using SSH. The video I took around 6pm is there (I can see it in my iPhone also) but it has the exact timestamp of the video I recorded around 7pm, which is just...gone. WTF?

SleazyC said:
Just upgraded and restored a back up created using PkgBackup and am missing the majority of my apps. That didn't work out as well as I thought it would.
Same, PKGbackup just would not restore apps even though it said it did.

SleazyC

Also getting white icons on the apps that PkgBackup did restore. Some people had luck restarting their phones but that didn't help here.

Maybe I should have used limera1n instead of greenp0ison?

First time jailbreaker here.
I have an Iphone 4 on 4.1 and I want to be able to unlock it at some point.

So... what's the protocol?

backup on Itunes, jailbreak...profit?
Anything i'm missing? What's all this about backing up apps?

civilstrife said:

no, just backup then jailbreak. nothing else applies to your situation. enjoy.

SleazyC

civilstrife said:

If you want to unlock your phone at some point you will have to do a manage update. It pretty much entails using TinyUmbrella to setup a fake firmware upgrade server that Itunes will use. Should be able to preserve your baseband so that you can unlock in the future.

All the app backup talk is mainly concerning the jailbroken apps being backed up since they aren't picked up by Itunes in its backup unless you use a third party app like PkgBackup.

expy

Banned
Crisco said:
Hey, I just installed this. Have you been able to get Notifier/StatusNotifier icons to show up on the lock screen?
Haven't installed that, I disabled it in the config.

might try greenpois0n tonight on our iphone 4s, but right now i could use some advice on an iPhone 3G that im giving to my sister. Last I heard iOS4 was very unstable on the 3g, has this changed with 4.1 or is my best bet to take it to 3.1.3 (its currently at 3.0 yeah havent updated it in a long ass time)

I will also need to maintain a carrier unlock

expy

Banned
GodfatherX said:
might try greenpois0n tonight on our iphone 4s, but right now i could use some advice on an iPhone 3G that im giving to my sister. Last I heard iOS4 was very unstable on the 3g, has this changed with 4.1 or is my best bet to take it to 3.1.3 (its currently at 3.0 yeah havent updated it in a long ass time)

I will also need to maintain a carrier unlock
The 3g just doesn't have the processing power of the newer phone revisions, iOS4 will always run worse on it.

yeah, knew it would run slower on the 3G, but when 4 first came out I heard a lot of reports on it basically being unfunctional, I'm gonna go with 3.1.3, using Spirit, and then I can use Ultrasn0w for the unlock, no need to back up shsh blobs with that right?

rc213

I had a 3G that came with 4.0 and it was hell. 4.1 was like a brand new phone, Never got a chance to test 3.1.3 so I can't compare. I used sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to jailbreak and unlock without issue.

You should always back up your SHSH blobs just in case.

rc213

Huge TinyUmbrella update with new GUI and new features. Now saves all available SHSH blobs in Cydia.

3GS / 3G Users - DO NOT USE TINYUMBRELLA in an attempt to save your baseband. It will not work. The baseband protection is for iPhone 4 *ONLY*.

rc213

DeathbyVolcano said:
I don't understand this SHSH blob talk. What's it relate to?

SHSH Blob is a signature file which is verified against Apple Server to verify the the iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. If for some reason, when you are try to restore to a previous version, Apple will not allow you to restore it becuase, you are trying load a older version of iOS. To make this possible, we need to send a request to a different server (Local or designated) which sends a SHSH blob (which was saved by you) back to iTunes faking that its the current version.

Let's say you're on 4.1 jailbroken and unlocked and something happens to your phone that requires a full restore. If 4.2 is out when you try to restore iTunes will force you to restore to 4.2, If you try and install 4.1 it will spit out an error and refuse.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Problems with PkgBackup?
Did you guys verify that all of your Cydia apps were captured?
For example, my backup caught 120 apps.
Then I synced to iTunes, restored to 4.1, jailbroke, and restored my data via an iTunes backup.
Then I redownloaded PkgBackup from Cydia, which found that pre-JB backup of 120 apps. Clicked restore and it proceeded to quickly restore my Cydia apps and their folder layouts. Around 10 of the 120 failed due to downed repos (Cydia was getting blasted) and the occasional app that just wasn't working on 4.1.

But even then PkgBackup kept a clean list of what was in and what was out. In my case around 110 / 120 apps were in. I also had an issue with blanked or whited out icons, but a full reboot fixed that!

SleazyC

Mejilan said:
Problems with PkgBackup?
Did you guys verify that all of your Cydia apps were captured?
For example, my backup caught 120 apps.
Then I synced to iTunes, restored to 4.1, jailbroke, and restored my data via an iTunes backup.
Then I redownloaded PkgBackup from Cydia, which found that pre-JB backup of 120 apps. Clicked restore and it proceeded to quickly restore my Cydia apps and their folder layouts. Around 10 of the 120 failed due to downed repos (Cydia was getting blasted) and the occasional app that just wasn't working on 4.1.

But even then PkgBackup kept a clean list of what was in and what was out. In my case around 110 / 120 apps were in. I also had an issue with blanked or whited out icons, but a full reboot fixed that!
Have a full captured list but as soon as I hit restore from within PkgBackup when I had successfully JB'd to 4.1 only 3 or 4 apps restored. PkgBackup said it was skipping the rest. Either way I just re-downloaded everything I had.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SleazyC said:
Have a full captured list but as soon as I hit restore from within PkgBackup when I had successfully JB'd to 4.1 only 3 or 4 apps restored. PkgBackup said it was skipping the rest. Either way I just re-downloaded everything I had.
That's pretty fucked up.
I'd get in touch with the dev and see if you could send him a log to analyze, or something. You paid for that shit.

I take it multiple restores lead to the same non-results?

jts

...hate me...
I have to say auto3G is a fucking miraculous piece of software. Right on the first testing day, my iPhone 4 managed to last a full 36 hours of standby and 7:15 hours of usage (mainly phone calling and wi-fi browsing) which is to say, two full days of usage on the same battery charge.

Apple could/should include this type of network management option, it would greatly improve the perception of the device's battery life.

Just another reason why jailbreaking makes an iPhone effectively better.

SleazyC

Mejilan said:
That's pretty fucked up.
I'd get in touch with the dev and see if you could send him a log to analyze, or something. You paid for that shit.

I take it multiple restores lead to the same non-results?
Did it about 3 times before i gave up and just started manually downloading my apps and setting up my categories. Picked up SBOrganizer so I could have my layout captured as well and that seemed to be a bit wonky as well.

I'm not really sweating it right now but if it happens when I jailbreak the next time I'll see about contacting the dev.

EDIT - Since I have you here Mejilan, does Notified totally suppress Apple's notifcation system? How does a notification popping up when your phone is locked work with it? A good example here would be a text message, currently I get a popup-notification via biteSMS that I can respond in. I wouldn't want this to go away but do really like what Notified provides you.

Seth C

Well, this was my first jailbreak and I'm now going to just revert back today. I like some of the additional features, but the instability that has shown up since I jailbroke just isn't worth it. I've lost several videos that I recorded, apps I've purchased (like Final Fantasy) that work one day magically do nothing today, and it resprings/crashes randomly. Today I started to call my mom and then bam, Apple logo. When it recovered I was in safe mode and had to respring again. The only things I've ever installed are MyWi, Bite SMS, and SBSettings. If it's this unstable already I fear what would happen if I tried anything else.

SleazyC

Seth C said:
Well, this was my first jailbreak and I'm now going to just revert back today. I like some of the additional features, but the instability that has shown up since I jailbroke just isn't worth it. I've lost several videos that I recorded, apps I've purchased (like Final Fantasy) that work one day magically do nothing today, and it resprings/crashes randomly. Today I started to call my mom and then bam, Apple logo. When it recovered I was in safe mode and had to respring again. The only things I've ever installed are MyWi, Bite SMS, and SBSettings. If it's this unstable already I fear what would happen if I tried anything else.
My first jailbreak was pretty similar. I had pretty poor stability and at one point my SIM card refused to be found by the phone. I had to restore to original firmware. I flirted with a jailbroken phone three more times for various lengths but so far my iphone4 has been rock solid. I would say try starting from scratch and see if it doesn't work out with you. Might have been a weird combination of things causing you problems.

Seth C

SleazyC said:
My first jailbreak was pretty similar. I had pretty poor stability and at one point my SIM card refused to be found by the phone. I had to restore to original firmware. I flirted with a jailbroken phone three more times for various lengths but so far my iphone4 has been rock solid. I would say try starting from scratch and see if it doesn't work out with you. Might have been a weird combination of things causing you problems.

Start from scratch meaning what exactly? Restoring the phone to factory condition without any of my apps, texts, etc.?

Dez

SleazyC said:
Did it about 3 times before i gave up and just started manually downloading my apps and setting up my categories. Picked up SBOrganizer so I could have my layout captured as well and that seemed to be a bit wonky as well.

I'm not really sweating it right now but if it happens when I jailbreak the next time I'll see about contacting the dev.

EDIT - Since I have you here Mejilan, does Notified totally suppress Apple's notifcation system? How does a notification popping up when your phone is locked work with it? A good example here would be a text message, currently I get a popup-notification via biteSMS that I can respond in. I wouldn't want this to go away but do really like what Notified provides you.
Notified pro let's you surpress apples modal notifications but you are better off using popup blocker on cydia - it has more options.

I'd say notified has potential but I was having my mail app crash frequently when using it - it's apparently a problem on 4.1. There's also a lack of options. I'll keep an eye on it but for now it is uninstalled.

SleazyC

Seth C said:
Start from scratch meaning what exactly? Restoring the phone to factory condition without any of my apps, texts, etc.?
Sync your phone and make sure all your apps you want are recorded in your iTunes. Then do a backup of your phone and restore to factory + upgrade to 4.1. Then go through the process again of jailbreak and restoring the backup of your phone.

Man, sucks to hear you guys have had such terrible trouble jailbreaking your phones. I usually dread every Os revision because jailbreaking on my 2g was a horrid experience that took hours. I wasn't as hesitant this time because I've got a newer laptop and the possibility of a camera fix (my phone took yellow pics under incandescent and low light) was too great of an incentive. Thankfully, I jailbroke the 4 on my first try and the whole process took about 20 minutes to get my phone from scratch to fully restored.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i mentioned this before, but LockInfo has roughly the same functionality as Notified (called 'infoshade'), but has been far less buggy in my use. it has integration with biteSMS, and can be activated and dismissed with a swipe-down gesture on the screen when combined with Activator. additionally, you can show far more information on this screen than just notifications, such as weather and RSS feeds.

LockInfo by itself will redirect all popups while the phone is blocked into its reformatted lockscreen. combining it with Popup Blocker (by the same author) will also redirect popups when the phone is unlocked and in use.

Dez

jts said:
I have to say auto3G is a fucking miraculous piece of software. Right on the first testing day, my iPhone 4 managed to last a full 36 hours of standby and 7:15 hours of usage (mainly phone calling and wi-fi browsing) which is to say, two full days of usage on the same battery charge.

Apple could/should include this type of network management option, it would greatly improve the perception of the device's battery life.

Just another reason why jailbreaking makes an iPhone effectively better.
That would be a terrible idea. Auto3g might be useful on trips where you don't have access to a charger, but it certainly shouldn't be used all the time if you care about cell network data access. Switching networks takes time, and if you do it so often I'm sure persistent connections will be broken, so for example, task completing apps will fail. Sure there is a whitelist for that, but it really leads to a lot of micromanagement that is just too much for any normal user to want to deal with.

I wouldn't give this app that much of a recommendation. Use it in a pinch if needed, that is all.

Seth C

Dez said:
That would be a terrible idea. Auto3g might be useful on trips where you don't have access to a charger, but it certainly shouldn't be used all the time if you care about cell network data access. Switching networks takes time, and if you do it so often I'm sure persistent connections will be broken, so for example, task completing apps will fail. Sure there is a whitelist for that, but it really leads to a lot of micromanagement that is just too much for any normal user to want to deal with.

I wouldn't give this app that much of a recommendation. Use it in a pinch if needed, that is all.

I don't know. I'm on Wi-Fi at home and at work. So, a good 80% of a typical day. No need to have 3G on at all during that time.

Tomasu

Neo Member
Okay, I jailbroke my 4G with Limera1n. Everything went smoothly.

What happens now when Apple releases a new version of firmware? Can I just install it normally? Also, if I want to get rid of the jailbreak for some reason, can I just restore the phone from an old unjailbroken backup or what?

Top Bottom