• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dreams-Visions said:
you should be concerned, but not concerned at the same time. because mine did that too.

OSX or Windows?

Windows. I think it's truly stuck.
TSS server is still running, but the TinyUmbrella log window's last update is that that the recovery device disconnected. This was around half an hour ago.

I wonder what'll happen if I disconnect the iPhone from iTunes now...

Freedom = $1.05 said:
So, for some reason all the names for my icons are barely visible after jail breaking. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Do you use winterboard and/or fontswap? Mine were like that for a while and I just had to uncheck something in winterboard to fix that. Don't know what it was, though.

dream said:
Yeah, I removed and readded the AP a few times to no avail. No Cydia apps other than SBSettings and 3G Unrestrictor right now...

It's strange because the phone thinks it's connected to the AP but it actually isn't.

Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%202%2013%2054%20PM.jpg
well shit. I'd re-install the OS. that's just plain odd.

Mejilan said:
Windows. I think it's truly stuck.
TSS server is still running, but the TinyUmbrella log window's last update is that that the recovery device disconnected. This was around half an hour ago.

I wonder what'll happen if I disconnect the iPhone from iTunes now...
it IS truly stuck.

HOWEVER, TinyUmbrella should have already effectively redirected the server traffic by modifying your HOSTS file, as mine did. You can safely run the update WITHOUT using tinyumbrella and you'll be fine.

What I did (after several times, as I didn't realize it was actually stuck) was

1.) disconnect the phone from the computer now (I know, seems like it should break something, but it won't), leaving it in recovery mode (iphone cable pictured on screen after it reboots).

2.) plug the phone back in. iTunes will find your phone in recovery mode. Shift + click on "Restore" and navigate to wherever you saved the update file to and select it. If you don't know or used iTunes to download it, you can probably just click the button and let iTunes handle it.

3.) the update should eventually end with an error message on screen (< 20 minutes). 1002 error, I think. this is normal. Turn TinyUmbrella back on and press that "kick out of" button on the right. phone will do a few more things, then boot normally.

dream

Dreams-Visions said:
well shit. I'd re-install the OS. that's just plain odd.

Yeah, I'm not too freaked out because I figure a restore will fix it. I just thought it was bizarre as hell.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Do you use winterboard and/or fontswap? Mine were like that for a while and I just had to uncheck something in winterboard to fix that. Don't know what it was, though.
I just checked winterboard and they had a setting that fixed it. Thanks for the help.

So what's the best tweak/app for me to get notifications in the status bar? I used to have status notifier when I was jailbroken in the 3.0 era but that is apparently broken for 4.0.

Mejilan

Dreams-Visions said:
it IS truly stuck.

HOWEVER, TinyUmbrella should have already effectively redirected the server traffic by modifying your HOSTS file, as mine did. You can safely run the update WITHOUT using tinyumbrella and you'll be fine.

What I did (after several times, as I didn't realize it was actually stuck) was

1.) disconnect the phone from the computer now (I know, seems like it should break something, but it won't), leaving it in recovery mode (iphone cable pictured on screen after it reboots).

2.) plug the phone back in. iTunes will find your phone in recovery mode. Shift + click on "Restore" and navigate to wherever you saved the update file to and select it. If you don't know or used iTunes to download it, you can probably just click the button and let iTunes handle it.

3.) the update should eventually end with an error message on screen (< 20 minutes). 1002 error, I think. this is normal. Turn TinyUmbrella back on and press that "kick out of" button on the right. phone will do a few more things, then boot normally.

Thanks for the advice. Yep, I used the left shift + click restore button to point to the iPhone 4, 4.1 recovery file I had previously downloaded. I believe it's error 1004, and it specifically pertains to a failed baseband update (which is what we want), according to the tuts I'm following. I'll report back with my results!

Mejilan

MikeDub said:
So what's the best tweak/app for me to get notifications in the status bar? I used to have status notifier when I was jailbroken in the 3.0 era but that is apparently broken for 4.0.

Notified Pro + Notification Bar + Statusbar Notifications is a powerful and awesome combination.

Mejilan said:
Notified Pro + Notification Bar + Statusbar Notifications is a powerful and awesome combination.

I never understood the advantage for these apps. What do they actually do? Does it make notifications like...palmOS notifications or something? Because otherwise I don't see the point.

cnizzle06

Banned
Whelp, I downloaded limera1n, but whenever I click to download cydia, no icon seems to come up?

Edit: Nevermind, it eventually came up. Now to figure out just what the hell Im doing :lol

Also, can i still connect to itunes? If it back ups, will it overwrite the backup I need if my shit gets screwed up?

Blackhead

Redarse
DeathbyVolcano said:
dammit I don't like any of this uncertainty. I much preferred jailbreakme :'(

Shit was so easy. Swipe, jailbroken. Tadaaaa
The limera1n jailbreak is labelled "Beta" for a reason. It's never wise to jump on the first day of a new jailbreak unless you're willing to deal with bugs. Even jailbreak.me, for all it's simplicity, had problems in the first few hours. If you backed up your shit beforehand any problem can be overcome...

I never understood the advantage for these apps. What do they actually do? Does it make notifications like...palmOS notifications or something? Because otherwise I don't see the point.
It's supposed to be like Android or growl but when I last uses it i had to manually dismiss each notification every time. That's not for me so I uninstalled it.

Mejilan said:

Ideally I am looking for something that is free, all I really want is for something to show that I have a new email on the lockscreen.

Charred Greyface said:
The limera1n jailbreak is labelled "Beta" for a reason. It's never wise to jump on the first day of a new jailbreak unless you're willing to deal with bugs. Even jailbreak.me, for all it's simplicity, had problems in the first few hours. If you backed up your shit beforehand any problem can be overcome...

I mean I haven't encountered any bigs or anything, I'm just sort of missing the simplicity of jailbreakme

jts

...hate me...
dream said:
Yeah, I'm not too freaked out because I figure a restore will fix it. I just thought it was bizarre as hell.
You can try to restore the network settings first.

edit: anyone else getting a whole lot of 504 timeouts from cydia?

Mejilan

DeathbyVolcano said:

Basically, yes. Apple's notification system leaves something to be desired, IMHO.
Notified/Notified Pro basically redirects notifications into a new interface that stores them as a log, sorts them by category, and allows you to launch their native apps (calendar, messaging, mail, etc.) with a quick tap or two. Marry Notified/Notified Pro to a convenient Activator trigger (I prefer the shake) and you can quickly pull up Notified without having to access its app icon from the SpringBoard.

Notified Pro allows you to install plug-ins for it. There are a handful, including one or two created by other developers, but I prefer the two I listed. The Notified Bar causes a small, aesthetically unobtrusive, suppress-able bar to pop up on the bottom of your screen with whatever notification just got triggered. It'll pop up on top of any app or game you're in, and can be easily killed by tapping on the bar's X. Statusbar Notifications is the other official plug in, and it's exactly as you'd expect it to be. Any notification category that's captured by Notified Pro has an icon that will appear on the status bar when a notification is triggered.

Notified Pro + plug-ins essentially form a comprehensive, all encompassing total replacement for Apple's system of notifications. I prefer it. And you can try out the free version of Notified (without plug-ins) if you're curious. It does provide some neat functionality, but it's mostly a dramatic (IMHO) usability improvement.

Mejilan said:
Thanks for the advice. Yep, I used the left shift + click restore button to point to the iPhone 4, 4.1 recovery file I had previously downloaded. I believe it's error 1004, and it specifically pertains to a failed baseband update (which is what we want), according to the tuts I'm following. I'll report back with my results!
Good luck. That part was irritating, but don't worry: you can't brick it.

Mejilan

Dreams-Visions said:
Good luck. That part was irritating, but don't worry: you can't brick it.

Thanks. I just tried 4 more times with TinyUmbrella running and the TSS server enabled, and it gets stuck at exactly the same point each time. I guess I'll try without TinyUmbrella, next.

jts

...hate me...
Freedom = $1.05 said:
I just checked winterboard and they had a setting that fixed it. Thanks for the help.
Excuse me, but what is it exactly? I'm facing the same problem. Un-checking "SummerBoard Mode" kinda fixes it as the text turns white instead of grey but it's still different from the default text.

Mejilan said:
Thanks. I just tried 4 more times with TinyUmbrella running and the TSS server enabled, and it gets stuck at exactly the same point each time. I guess I'll try without TinyUmbrella, next.
Without will work at this point and it will not update your baseband.

Mejilan said:
Basically, yes. Apple's notification system leaves something to be desired, IMHO.
Notified/Notified Pro basically redirects notifications into a new interface that stores them as a log, sorts them by category, and allows you to launch their native apps (calendar, messaging, mail, etc.) with a quick tap or two. Marry Notified/Notified Pro to a convenient Activator trigger (I prefer the shake) and you can quickly pull up Notified without having to access its app icon from the SpringBoard.

Notified Pro allows you to install plug-ins for it. There are a handful, including one or two created by other developers, but I prefer the two I listed. The Notified Bar causes a small, aesthetically unobtrusive, suppress-able bar to pop up on the bottom of your screen with whatever notification just got triggered. It'll pop up on top of any app or game you're in, and can be easily killed by tapping on the bar's X. Statusbar Notifications is the other official plug in, and it's exactly as you'd expect it to be. Any notification category that's captured by Notified Pro has an icon that will appear on the status bar when a notification is triggered.

Notified Pro + plug-ins essentially form a comprehensive, all encompassing total replacement for Apple's system of notifications. I prefer it. And you can try out the free version of Notified (without plug-ins) if you're curious. It does provide some neat functionality, but it's mostly a dramatic (IMHO) usability improvement.

I don't know...I've gotten so used to biteSMS that I can't fathom changing, to be honest. Maybe I'll try it out after I'm done jailbreaking.

Has anyone tried Notified with 4.1 yet?

Mejilan

Dreams-Visions said:
Without will work at this point and it will not update your baseband.

Yep, I believe you. I'm just a stubborn bastard and tried to force it through without deviating so much from the tutorial. But eventually I do get it when I'm accomplishing little more than bashing my head against an unyielding wall. Eventually. :)

Mejilan

DeathbyVolcano said:
I don't know...I've gotten so used to biteSMS that I can't fathom changing, to be honest. Maybe I'll try it out after I'm done jailbreaking.

Has anyone tried Notified with 4.1 yet?

You misunderstand. Notified is a replacement for Apple's native notifications system, NOT text messaging. I use BiteSMS and swear by it. BiteSMS and Notified also play very nicely together.

Notified replaces Apple's method of displaying system alerts.
Got a new text? Got a new email? Calendar entry or meeting is imminent? Battery running low? Your turn in Words with Friends or Carcassone? THIS is where Notified triggers. It's an elegant solution for handling system alerts, push notifications, etc.

Hell, if you get a new message and tap on Notified's SMS alert, it'll auto launch BiteSMS for you (if that's your default messaging app). Or your calendar app, or your mail app, etc., depending on the kind of notification it is.

Mejilan

Awesome. Now the unaided iTunes update is failing with error message 3024, or something, and the iPhone is still stuck in recovery. That's not very promising.
I think I'll reboot and try again.

Mairu

I think I'll wait another day or two before upgrading and re-jailbreaking

So, is there any way to backup your settings & cydia packages before doing all of this? Or do I basically have to upgrade, restore to minus-jailbreak stuff, then jailbreak & put all the jailbreak stuff I had previously installed back on one by one?

jts said:
Excuse me, but what is it exactly? I'm facing the same problem. Un-checking "SummerBoard Mode" kinda fixes it as the text turns white instead of grey but it's still different from the default text.
Select "white icon labels" under themes in winterboard. Things should be normal after that.

Mejilan said:
Awesome. Now the unaided iTunes update is failing with error message 3024, or something, and the iPhone is still stuck in recovery. That's not very promising.
I think I'll reboot and try again.
Use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

Seth C

civilstrife said:
I'm definitely interested in Jailbreaking my iphone4, but I'm really worried about this missing App store thing. That seems like a pretty major bug to me. I would equate that to a bricking. Engadget reports that they couldn't get the app store back even after a restore. Even the chance of that is just unacceptable to me. How long should I wait for all this to be worked out?

I got mine back. I rebooted and then re-installed Cydia then rebooted again.

Arcipello

Question this is on behalf of a friend who bought his iphone 4 from someone in the UK, hes now jailbroken it and everything works great EXCEPT he cant seem to use the FaceTime feature.... does anyone have an explenation for this?????

Meh, trying to use limera1n through parallels on my Mac is proving to not work. Limera1n says it works in the computer, but the phone stays the same (no limera1n logo whn it boots back up). Mehhhhhh

Mejilan

Mairu said:
I think I'll wait another day or two before upgrading and re-jailbreaking

So, is there any way to backup your settings & cydia packages before doing all of this? Or do I basically have to upgrade, restore to minus-jailbreak stuff, then jailbreak & put all the jailbreak stuff I had previously installed back on one by one?

Check out AppBackup and AptBackup from Cydia.
And don't forget to perform a final sync/backup via iTunes after using those apps and before upgrading to 4.1/jailbreaking/etc.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

I've tried. It reverts immediately back to recovery mode every time. :(

Gah. Im so confused GAF.

I keep reading i have to have previously Jailbroken my 3GS in order to JB 4.1 because of the updated Bootrom. How do i do this at this point when my phone is already 4.1? Does restoring set it back to the proper firmware?

*sigh*, i am overwhelemed right now.

jts

...hate me...
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Select "white icon labels" under themes in winterboard. Things should be normal after that.
Just like turning off the summerboard option, that turns the icon labels into plain white, no shadows, so it creates a problem with white-ish wallpapers, unlike the default icon labels, which are white with shadows.

Thank you for your helpfulness though, but I'll uninstall winterboard for the third time today :lol

rc213

Gamer @ Heart said:
Gah. Im so confused GAF.

I keep reading i have to have previously Jailbroken my 3GS in order to JB 4.1 because of the updated Bootrom. How do i do this at this point when my phone is already 4.1? Does restoring set it back to the proper firmware?

*sigh*, i am overwhelemed right now.
Do you require an unlock to use someone other than the original network?

LogicStep

jts said:
Just like turning off the summerboard option, that turns the icon labels into plain white, no shadows, so it creates a problem with white-ish wallpapers, unlike the default icon labels, which are white with shadows.

Thank you for your helpfulness though, but I'll uninstall winterboard for the third time today :lol
Just updated to 4.1 and did the jailbreak again, smooth as last time.

Mairu

Mejilan said:
Check out AppBackup and AptBackup from Cydia.
And don't forget to perform a final sync/backup via iTunes after using those apps and before upgrading to 4.1/jailbreaking/etc.

I've tried. It reverts immediately back to recovery mode every time. :(
What's the order of restore/backup then if you're restoring to a backup that occurred after you've jailbroken and have cydia apps and stuff on it?

rc213

Gamer @ Heart said:
Nope. Just want the customization.
Then you don't need to worry about bootrom or baseband and just run limera1n.

Seems Cydia is getting hammered/down at the moment.

Top Bottom