• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

That was such a softball attempt to come at him though that it was tongue-in-cheek anyway.

As far as black twitter is concerned, anything anyone involved with the BP movie says or does will be as if they walked on water or turned water into wine. That's the kind of hyper-blackness that I made me want to graduate from my HBCU with the quickness.

I love my people, but not that close, and not that much, lol. Shannon Sharpe with the blacknmild talking about yak was tolerable. But treating Black Panther like he's Jesus is precariously approaching Hotep levels.

It wasn't tongue in cheek. People are mad that John came for their favorite white fantasyland show so as soon as they see a sci-fi/fantasy movie with a majority black cast, they try to throw it in his face as if they have a legitimate point

I don't use twitter much, but I'm happy that we're getting Black Panther with an extremely talented cast & crew and that people are excited for it. The jokes about what foods people are going to make for the premier are corny but people can be excited about a character like BP getting his first movie which is also the first Marvel Studios film with a black lead

Johndoey

Banned
We Know The Devil OST - Incense (Smoke & Honey )

S7L0fRM.jpg

NoName999

So there's this article on how the left is more sexist than it realizes. One part stuck out to me.

The founders of Black Lives Matter, for instance, are all queer women of color but you don’t hear much about that. I think a lot of the interest on the far left right now is on class, and I get that. But black women are the ones most impacted wealth and income inequality, and so if you want to talk about class, we can’t avoid these broader social problems.

We really dropped the ball, black men. In the sense that BLM focus mainly on black men getting killed by the police while hardly ever focusing on black women killed by them.

It wasn't tongue in cheek. People are mad that John came for their favorite white fantasyland show so as soon as they see a sci-fi/fantasy movie with a majority black cast, they try to throw it in his face as if they have a legitimate point

I don't use twitter much, but I'm happy that we're getting Black Panther with an extremely talented cast & crew and that people are excited for it. The jokes about what foods people are going to make for the premier are corny but people can be excited about a character like BP getting his first movie which is also the first Marvel Studios film with a black lead

Oh? What show did Jon B come after?

Malyse

Marvel gonna be shook with the returns on Black Panther.

If I had a HBCU or a Black Church or even a NAACP chapter, I would be setting viewings and stuff up for Black Panther.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So there's this article on how the left is more sexist than it realizes. One part stuck out to me.

We really dropped the ball, black men. In the sense that BLM focus mainly on black men getting killed by the police while hardly ever focusing on black women killed by them.

This is why it pisses me off to see these DSA and Bernie-types wave off intersectionality as 'identity politics' while lamenting how Dems neglected the WWC. WOC are the back-bone of leftist movements yet all the attention goes to white dorks like the Chapo podcast guys.

Slayven

This is why it pisses me off to see these DSA and Bernie-types wave off intersectionality as 'identity politics' while lamenting how Dems neglected the WWC. WOC are the back-bone of leftist movements yet all the attention goes to white dorks like the Chapo podcast guys.

I found out those Chapo dudes a few weeks ago and they sound exactly like the textbook example of the "true" progressives are suspect as hell

Johndoey

Banned

Just the American tradition of ignoring, downplaying, and disrespecting the work of WOC to maintain the narrative that white men are the glorious saviors and defenders on the downtrodden. Of course we as black men also have a history of ignoring contributions women in our communities make.

Sadly this is too true. Even with my more "Liberal" associates, I've still gotta chastise them about their sexist tendencies. This is why I side eye Bernie bros who say shit like "intersectionality is killing the democratic party with identity politics". Get the fuck out of here with that. I would argue that WoC have done more for social movements then men have, but don't get the same level of recognition.

darklin0

Banned

Great article. It is a shame that many efforts by WOC are downplayed and ignored to keep the narritive going.
They have been killing it lately. I really like the Boyega interview they did where he talks about why he wants to be a producer.

Johndoey

Banned
Still trying to get my dad to read comics like he used to still got a couple issues of Wonder Woman and Flash kicking around he'd like, just got to catch him on the right day. I'll use that as my gateway to Saga. Saga is literally everything he loves about Sci-Fi if it was a book series he'd be calling me every week to talk about it.

Black Panther is pretty baller in MvC:I.

I love the fall, mainly because of how much i LOVE jackets. I am considering a bomber jacket, but no have no idea where to shop for one online.

Shy

What's that ? you want the new Black Panther trailer in true 1080p and and lossless audio ? Well if you insist. ��

WAKANDA FORRRRREVER!
Long time no see.

Welcome back.
LQdknyC.gif

Everyone seems to be hunters. LOL.
I kind of hate the word twerk.

People of color around the world have been doing this for thousands of years but then white people found out and became disgusted by their own arousal so they made us to be the bad guy. Got illegitimate children everywhere but we're the lascivious ones.

Then some bony ass white chick decided to turn from bubble gum wholesomeness to slutwalking overnight and now " twerking" is acceptable.

I only feel slightly better at the fact that the earliest entry on Urban Dictionary is 2003. Still....
Yep.

It was always called doing the Butterfly Over here, ever since i was young.
Morning BCT.
Evening.
It's dope, in my opinion. People hate it because it's not just killing enemies but requires a lot of working together for the puzzles. I think it shines because it's so different.
What loot did you get ?
Too many times people try to make a smart villain, only to end up doing stupid protagonists
I fucking hate this in fiction so much.

Good evening, all~

"What does it matter to some small-town folk in Nebraska who just want to watch football?"

Today I had to explain to a coworker why Kaepernick's protest needed to be covered on every major news channel in every community and locale. At first I was just going to let him talk and then get back to work as I always do when politics comes up in the office (it rarely does), but today something just broke.

I was shaking the whole time, not from anger, but because I've never voiced my concerns to anyone outside my usual circle of friends and family. He seemed shocked as I told him how bad things were and as I shared past experiences my family, friends, and I had with cops in our lifetimes. I explained how I had to worry about my kin and interactions with the police. I explained that it wasn't a matter of ignorance; that there were people out there right now- in my house, even- that thought there was no problem with the way things were. That it wasn't a matter of ignorance or people simply not knowing. I have two degrees, I'm working a white-collar job, cross my t's and dot my i's. I told him this isn't happening to a particular group of us: that it's happening indiscriminately to all of us, everywhere, everyday, and when we try and speak out the vast majority of people who can do anything about it are changing the channel and cancelling their NFL subscriptions and telling us to shut up and be thankful.

I admit I got a tad emotional (voice started creaking, as he mentioned), and he got a tad red in the eyes. I finally shut up and stared at him and shrugged because it was all I had left to do. There was a moment of silence. And then he apologized. He seemed honestly speechless. This isn't a right-leaning dude. He's certainly not someone ranting up and down the aisle about crooked Hillary and emails. He wants healthcare for all and thinks the country is going to implode for the same reasons I do. He goes out of his way to speak with me and share with me and tried to find me a good place in a nice part of the city (his part of the city) to move to- but he was still taken aback by the things I had to say in that moment. He apologized a few times and didn't try to argue my points or bring in his side. He admitted his life just hadn't been one with any sort of heavy exposure to the issues within my community. He said he'd never heard it first-hand, face-to-face, like I'd just spelled it out for him. He said it hit close to home like it never had before (that was how the conversation came up about Kaepernick: his problem with media broadcasting and spamming issues to people far removed from the events themselves). He apologized several times and seemed pretty unsettled.

He asked me what could be done about this. I told him I couldn't do anything about it. He asked me "Then, who can?" I told him, straight up, White people. I told him the only people who can get through to (White) racists are White people. I told him that- once a racist demonized me, made me the other- nothing I or any other Black person did or said would ever change their mind. He agreed.

I dunno. I'd like to think I burst some bubble he didn't even realize was floating around him. I'd like to think that him personally knowing someone that today's issues directly affected would pull him just a bit farther from center than he seems to be. I dunno. I guess I'd like these things to be true because it would mean Ta-Nehisi Coates is ultimately wrong. If all it took to pull the center to our side was a fifteen minute conversation at the end of a work shift, we'd all be a lot better off. But that's pretty naive, isn't it? It isn't this easy, it will not be this easy for a long time, if ever. But I want to stop watching my nephew and nieces grow up and always dreading what could happen to them. I worry things are about to pop off in some major way and they're going to get caught in it. FFS, one of them isn't even old enough to start school yet and the oldest isn't even a teen. They don't have to worry about these things yet, but I know they'll have to soon enough, and that sucks beyond words.

Totes preaching to the choir. I dunno what's thread-worthy or not.

Slayven

I'm going to be completely honest I'm still not certain what was going on with Savitar's anything and to be fair part of that is me checking out mental but still.

Writers having a new toy, yet being lazy at the same time

Modern Family is so diverse, when they stunt cast they cast white people

Thye ain't fucking with no niggas.

And they need to wrap it up, Lily's actress is horrible

I tapped out early last season of Flash, and haven't gone back since. ��

Honestly i watched the first 2 eps and the last 6 of last season. Felt like I didn't miss a thing

RedSwirl

One reason this issue makes me think is because, to be perfectly honest, I've lived 30+ years with basically zero interaction with cops.

One reason this issue makes me think is because, to be perfectly honest, I've lived 30+ years with basically zero interaction with cops.

it's crazy cuz our ancestors when through the same thing, same fear and everything

I'm glad you were able to get through to them tho

I don't have anything witty to say. Good post.

In hindsight, sorry for the word vomit. I got home still stuck on the conversation and saw the coworker had messaged me to thank me for the conversation and apologize again, and I just wanted to talk about it. For sure, I've had plenty of interactions with cops (I remember all of them) and only a handful of them have been negative. But the ones that were left enough of an imprint that I can't shake them lightly in the face of what's going on around the country. It's not -just- the atmosphere surround the police that makes me worry about the little ones. It's everything. But my coworker struck a chord on this topic, particularly.

Good evening, all~

Totes preaching to the choir. I dunno what's thread-worthy or not.

You did the right thing. As a community the only thing we can do is voice out issue and make people listen. As you already said the racists won't listen to us, even if someone of colour saved their families from a burning building or found the cure to every deadly disease known to man, they won't listen. The best thing we can do is reach out to those in the white community who would care, but don't do anything because they don't know or think the problem exists. You voicing your concerns was the correct to do and woke homeboy up to the reality that Poc deal with on a daily.

Thank you.

Top Bottom