• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS3Linux) Open Platform for PS3 - site open with instructions

stolin

Can the next guy that tries to use the "Install Other OS" do so until PS3 Firmware version 1.0 please!!!

Just see if the kboot works.

Thanks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
wsippel said:
You can use RSX, but you can't use hardware 3D accelleration. Which means lots of stuff should be possible for homebrew devs, except for 3D and memory hungry stuff.
I just hope someone already got EXA and XV support working on RSX (2D and video accelleration).

kim_jong_il_map.jpg

So...no guidance systems then, huh? Hmm...throw those PS3s in the fire. We no longer need them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This weekend, I`m totally going to try and install Linux on the PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Laguna X said:
Anybody know when YellowDog Linux is going to available?

Nov 27 to YDL subscribers. The week of Dec 25 on public mirrors. Although I'm not sure there's anything to stop a subscriber distributing it before that.

I think probably an important thing to do is to get gcc with cell support working. I know Gentoo has this now, pretty much, so I might try to boot it when I get my PS3. I was reading on the PowerDeveloper forums that it is really recommended to recompile any apps you want to use for Cell - even though the code won't be taking advantage of SPEs or whatever, the compiler will be taking into account the in-order/branching behaviour of the Cell PPE, so you should see better performance doing that versus generic powerpc apps (which no doubt have been compiled with big OOOE CPUs like a G5 or whatever). That's why YDL will be nice..all that stuff will be done for you, I think.

gofreak said:
Nov 27 to YDL subscribers. The week of Dec 25 on public mirrors. Although I'm not sure there's anything to stop a subscriber distributing it before that.

I think probably an important thing to do is to get gcc with cell support working. I know Gentoo has this now, pretty much, so I might try to boot it when I get my PS3. I was reading on the PowerDeveloper forums that it is really recommended to recompile any apps you want to use for Cell - even though the code won't be taking advantage of SPEs or whatever, the compiler will be taking into account the in-order/branching behaviour of the Cell PPE, so you should see better performance doing that versus generic powerpc apps (which no doubt have been compiled with big OOOE CPUs like a G5 or whatever). That's why YDL will be nice..all that stuff will be done for you, I think.
Are you sure that YDL will have an expecific PS3 version instead a generic PPC version that suports the PS3?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deathkiller said:
Are you sure that YDL will have an expecific PS3 version instead a generic PPC version that suports the PS3?

I expect they'll have recompiled some apps using a compiler with Cell supports, yes. That doesn't mean the apps will suddenly start taking advantage of SPEs, but it does mean the binary should be more suited to the PPE than it otherwise would be. TerraSoft mention this in their press release:

In development of Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft integrated and enhanced code from Barcelona Supercomputing Center, SCEI , and Fedora in order to offer the following:
- kernel 2.6.16
- gcc 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4
- Cell SDK 1.1
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
- FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
- Nautilus 2.14
... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

Now, whether "integrating and enhancing" the code in some of those apps listed means just a recompile or that they actually went deeper and changed some code, I don't know, but a recompile is the least you can expect for those named above.

Danj

So, what's the state of play with you PS3 Linux folks today? Also, has anyone gotten a PS1/PS2 memory card reader yet?

thetrin

Danj said:
So, what's the state of play with you PS3 Linux folks today? Also, has anyone gotten a PS1/PS2 memory card reader yet?

I haven`t gotten home yet. Leaving in 2 minutes. I will try Linux this weekend if I have time.

Memory Card Readers haven`t hit stores yet.

Koren

gofreak said:
That doesn't mean the apps will suddenly start taking advantage of SPEs, but it does mean the binary should be more suited to the PPE than it otherwise would be.
They said themselves that their C compiler doesn't use the SPE, so I think all C-base source code doesn't profit from SPE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tsk tsk! Interesting to see the GameOS boot from Linux, though, and how long that takes (not too bad, about 30 seconds I guess).

I wonder if anyone has recompiled VideoLan or the like for it yet.

gofreak said:
Tsk tsk! Interesting to see the GameOS boot from Linux, though, and how long that takes (not too bad, about 30 seconds I guess).

I wonder if anyone has recompiled VideoLan or the like for it yet.

What's GameOS?

Danj

gofreak said:

It's not actually booting it from Linux, it's just rebooting into it - you see the message "The system is going down for reboot NOW!" once it drops to console. Nothing really special except that he made a shell script which lets him type "boot game os" and it sets the bootable partition flag and reboots or something.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gattsu25 said:
the real question is: is there Radioshack DualShock>USB converter support yet?

I thought IGN tested that in the XMB and it seemed to work, for BC at least..

For Linux, Sony has included a package on the add-on cd for sixaxis support (has to be connected via usb, though).

wsippel

Banned
gofreak said:
Now, whether "integrating and enhancing" the code in some of those apps listed means just a recompile or that they actually went deeper and changed some code, I don't know, but a recompile is the least you can expect for those named above.
I just checked the recent gcc commit logs, and the first gcc version to officially support CELL (march and all) will be gcc 4.3. I hope the gcc Terrasoft ships comes with CELL backports, but that will probably result in a flaky compiler - I still remember the horrors with initial amd64 backports. Lots of ICEs and broken compiles...

Ok so when you're in there (Linux), how do you boot the GUI?

I swear I'm going crazy staring at this comand prompt!

It's awesome though that it's truly here, on my PS3. I can feel the possibilities... :D

Queeg

gafobserve said:
Ok so when you're in there (Linux), how do you boot the GUI?

I swear I'm going crazy staring at this comand prompt!

It's awesome though that it's truly here, on my PS3. I can feel the possibilities... :D

I'd assume it should have booted to GDM so you could login. Has it asked for a user/password yet ? If so try " startx "command. Or you can try starting GDM with " gdm start ".

If only sony didn't screw us euro's yet again I'd be able to offer more

Jurai

Banned
theres nothing at all involved to installing it, you literally type the install command, hit y a few times, and its done

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've updated the original post with an abbreviated guide to the process, if anyone's interested - it'll spare you the verbose detail of Sony's instructions, but you can always refer back to them if necessary.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mckmas8808 said:
Which is better YDL or Fedora?

YDL is supposed to be more tailored toward PS3. The Fedora people are running is just the general PowerPC distribution, there's nothing PS3 specific about it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rice-Eater said:
Will be there be any GAF'ers using YDL as soon as it comes out?

Yep I will. I wonder if the YDL installation will make us format our HDDs?

RuGalz

Blimblim said:
Did you simply use a stage3 ppc64 tarball inside kboot?
Ya for most part... This guy wanted me to try out some stuff he put for the overlay so I'm like... compiling gcc and stuff... wow it's taking forever. On the other hand, my ps3 has been on for 2 days now... I wouldn't even leave my x360 on for more than an hour unused. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MidgarBlowedUp said:
So if I download and install Yellow Dog for PS3 what 'exactly' will I be using for developing ANSI standard C++ and OpenGL software?

YDL will come with gcc 4.1.1. For OpenGl..well, there is no hardware acceleration yet, so you might be best off using something like Mesa, maybe?

mckmas8808 said:

If the installation process is the same as for these other distros (probably), then no - you'll create a partition using the XMB utility, but you won't need to format your whole HDD.

RuGalz

mckmas8808 said:
Well... You need to format your HDD if you don't already have linux partition set aside, doesn't matter what distribution of linux it is.

gofreak said:
YDL will come with gcc 4.1.1. For OpenGl..well, there is no hardware acceleration yet, so you might be best off using something like Mesa, maybe?

thanks gofreak, I can't do 3D yet anyway so no big deal.

I assume gcc 4.1.1 will be all setup and everything out of the box? I'm not a linux user so I'm used to just clicking install with Bloodshed Dev C++.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
RuGalz said:
Well... You need to format your HDD if you don't already have linux partition set aside, doesn't matter what distribution of linux it is.

Does the partition utility format the HDD entirely? I was thinking it might be able to create one without disturbing the existing layout (assuming there was enough free space). That might be the first thing I do when I get my system then..

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I assume gcc 4.1.1 will be all setup and everything out of the box?

It will. It's a command-line tool - if you'd prefer an IDE, I'd say one will be available out of the box (haven't checked..), or if not, you'll be able to get one pretty easily off the net.

cedric69

gofreak said:
For Linux, Sony has included a package on the add-on cd for sixaxis support (has to be connected via usb, though).
Care to elaborate on this? No wireless control then? It'd suck for HTPC use...

RuGalz

gofreak said:
Does the partition utility format the HDD entirely? I was thinking it might be able to create one without disturbing the existing layout (assuming there was enough free space). That might be the first thing I do when I get my system then..
It formats the entire drive. So if you have any interest in installing linux, format the HDD with linux partition is the first think I'd do before start playing any game.

It will. It's a command-line tool - if you'd prefer an IDE, I'd say one will be available out of the box (haven't checked..), or if not, you'll be able to get one pretty easily off the net.
Most likely Elipse will ship with YDL... Just my guess.

Lo-Volt

While I'm a total idiot on OS use beyond using Safari and Firefox, this kind of ability makes me warm up to the PS3. I noticed that the 'official' Linux distribution for the PS3 is Yellow Dog Linux; if I got a PS3 sometime and got Terra Soft's DVD for installation, is it going to be as command intensive as what we've seen here or is it something a Windows or Mac user could pull off? How newbie-friendly is it in comparison to doing Fedora the hard way as seen above? Does this mean I can use wireless USB KB and mouse, etc. Gracias.

So can someone explain to me whats exciting about being able to run linux code on a stripped down ppc processor with no access to cell SPUs or RSX hardware acceleration?

It seems to me that the XNA Game Studio stuff is more exciting for home brew, coz it gives much better access to the hardware.

Top Bottom