• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS3Linux) Open Platform for PS3 - site open with instructions

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JB1981 said:
Oh my, that sounds way too complicated for someone like me.

The sony instructions look long and unwieldy at first blush because they're basically spelling out every little thing you have to do in excruciating detail. But the process is pretty straight forward. Basically:

1) Create your linux partition via the xmb format utility
2) Put two files on a USB stick and plug it into your PS3
3) Run the "Install Other OS" utility (this installs the bootloader from your USB stick)
4) Set the bootloader to be the default OS via the XMB system settings and reboot
5) When you reboot your presented with the bootloader - stick in your FC5 (or other) install disc, and a couple of commands later and you're installing.

That's basically it, I think. There's detail to all these steps, but none are complicated.

Speevy

Banned
I've always wondered something. Is it possible to completely screw up the Linux part of your PS3? And if so, does your PS3 work regardless?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speevy said:
I've always wondered something. Is it possible to completely screw up the Linux part of your PS3?

I'm sure. As much as any other linux-powered PC.

Speevy said:
And if so, does your PS3 work regardless?

Yes. GameOS boots from flash memory and is completely seperate. No matter what settings you choose, to boot into Linux by default or whatever, holding the on/off button for 5 seconds when turning on will always boot into the XMB. So if, say, you had Linux set as your default OS and it was screwed, you could still get into your XMB and set the XMB as your default OS thereafter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
yahso said:
nothing new
believe it!

Whole new version of GNOME.

New compiler.

Applications re-compiled and notably faster.

New X server.

From a fresh, original, FC5 installation (day1) to a fresh, original, FC6 installation (day1) there IS difference.

I'm going to be so happy to get a PS3 sometime next January or February when you guys got this all figured out and there is already some cool apps to try :D

Oni Jazar

gofreak said:
5) When you reboot your presented with the bootloader - stick in your FC5 (or other) install disc, and a couple of commands later and you're installing.

Does that have to be on disc or can that be on a memory stick as well?

RuGalz

yahso said:
Sunday !?!
:lol I had system clock set wrong when I setup the system.

TTP: It's quicker to do minimum install and then use yum to install rest of the stuff over the net as I found out...

rubso

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Whole new version of GNOME.

New compiler.

Applications re-compiled and notably faster.

New X server.

From a fresh, original, FC5 installation (day1) to a fresh, original, FC6 installation (day1) there IS difference.
i know, all the distros is doing the same thing, why did they call it Fedora Core "6" then? i'm talking about a MAJOR difference between FC5 and FC6, FC6 is about the new AIGLX Framework and the new default font.

@RuGalz
LOL i knew it :D
TTP said:
It's taking AGES
there must be something wrong..!!! any Linux distro would usually take between 30 to 60 seconds to be fully initialized.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oni Jazar said:
Does that have to be on disc or can that be on a memory stick as well?

The installer seems to ask for a DVD but maybe there's different kboot options..

Also, TTP/Rugalz - thanks for this, it's awesome :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TTP said:
Tirant, Blimblim. Could you please remove that pic from my quotes in your posts? I changed the original one.

gofreak: I'm waiting ofr a USB keyboard. Though I had one, but I dont.
Sorry I was away for a few hours, glad to see a helpful mod changed the links.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
yahso said:
i know, all the distros is doing the same thing, why did they call it Fedora Core "6" then?

I do not see the relation between what Ubuntu and Suse and Fedora Core.

There is a reason why you search in Fedora related forums first and then in more general Linux forums: not all distros do the same thing the same way as other distros.

AIGLX is not Fedora specific, you can get it with other distros and what makes it possible is also the new Xorg 7.1.

You know, proceeding down this path we can trivialize the jumps from Windows 9x (no SP) to Windows XP (no SP) and from Windows XP (no SP) to Windows Vista.

If we want to single out one thing that clearly and simply as well as concisely could differentiate FC5 and FC6 would be the fact that all applications have been re-compiled with the DT_GNU_HASH flag turned on and that this does affect their performance. We could ask ourselves then how much difference if any there is in FC6 from FC1 if we go down that same path...

Of course, if you compare the very latest FC5 packages (plus others you added yourself compiling from sources) to the earliest available FC6 packages you will see less differences, but I call it hardly a fair comparison.

Also, discounting the full implementation of AIGLX in FC6 (how it and compiz are well integrated with Metacity and Xorg and GNOME) compared to its beta status with FC5 seems a bit unfair to me.

Edit: one thing is to have thousands of applications in semi-final status, all semi-interacting between each other, a nice buggy experience (example FC5 + Xgl + Mesa patch) and another thing is to have a system where those applications have been optimized and modified to make them work together in the same environment. That alone would grant you the number jump IMHO.

rubso

Banned
TTP said:
52%. Wish I didnt the full installation.
i bet that your PS3 is *overheating* now!

Panajev2001a:
man, my "OLD" Breezy Badger has the same FC6 Features nowadays, except i use XGL instead of AIGLX and Beryl instead of old-named compiz.

Hunter D

Someone post pics of linux on PS3 please! I have a serious hardon right now and can't do anything about it without pics!

antiloop

Hunter D said:
Someone post pics of linux on PS3 please! I have a serious hardon right now and can't do anything about it without pics!

Here is one from PS3forums.com. He is running in 720p and you can even see the memusage:
screenshot1th6.png

KurowaSan

antiloop said:
Here is one from PS3forums.com. He is running in 720p and you can even see the memusage:
screenshot1th6.png
:O
i hate being european tonight :(

hopefully, TTP can try some other applications such as video players, emulators, etc.
for example, i think there is a VideoLan RPM package ready for Fedora Core distributions

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
97%!!

I know shit about Linux. So if you want me to try something be VERY Sepcific and eventually provide direct links to apps and whatever u want me to download.

antiloop

They really need to give us direct-access to the GPU so we can have video and 3D acceleration. Make it happen soon Sony and nVidia.

This is what we have now:
Graphics/Video

PS3 has a powerful graphic processing unit with high speed host connection. The GPU is connected to both HDMI and AV multi interface. Although the GPU is connected directly to CBE, no direct access by guest OSes to the GPU is allowed currently. Video mode/format setting is also the role of AV setting driver. PS3 Linux fb driver calls AV setting driver to setup video modes.

Currently X server uses virtual frame buffer to render its image. No hardware acceleration is supported under Linux. See the description above section.

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/playstation.php

KurowaSan

TTP said:
97%!!

I know shit about Linux. So if you want me to try something be VERY Sepcific and eventually provide direct links to apps and whatever u want me to download.

VideoLan http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html
i guess the easiest will be to install the RPM package. they explain you how to install it in that link. Just in case you don't know it, it's a player that supports any kind of codec (you don't need to install any codecs for it to play divx/xvix/quicktime/etc... files)

hope it works D:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Installation done.
Reboot done.

I'm now at the kboot: prompt. What do I do to run the Fedora thing?

I'm clueless.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antiloop said:
They really need to give us direct-access to the GPU so we can have video and 3D acceleration. Make it happen soon Sony and nVidia.

For media playback etc. Cell alone is plenty if the application takes advantage of it. But yeah, GPU access should be high on the list of priorities for amateur game dev etc.

It'll be interesting to see how any media players work just on the PPE..I'm doubting performance will be very good with HD stuff at least. Bear in mind that everything will be just running on the PPE for now, with these 'generic' distros and applications.

TTP said:
Installation done.
Reboot done.

I'm now at the kboot: prompt. What do I do to run the Fedora thing?

I'm clueless.

You typed reboot at the command prompt after installation and it brought you back to kboot?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
You typed reboot at the command prompt after installation and it brought you back to kboot?

YEs. It asked me to type a password in the process.

Enter only doesnt work. Gives me this message: evail: 1: /root/kboot/: not found

KurowaSan

TTP said:
YEs. It asked me to type a password in the process.

Enter only doesnt work. Gives me this message: evail: 1: /root/kboot/: not found

didn't it say something like
Code:
Fedora Core ....
Kernel .....

localhost login:

?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
KurowaSan said:
didn't it say something like
Code:
Fedora Core ....
Kernel .....

localhost login:

?
no. I'm back at the kboot: prompt. Basically the first screenshot I posted in this thread

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Luckyman said:
Is YDL consider 'generic'?

Yeah, well..it's choice of default options is more tailored for PS3's environment, but it's not really utilising SPEs as far as I know. It'll take some time for SPE-optimised apps to find their way out.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ok I'm in
Doesnt connect to the internet (still posting form the PC here). How do I make it work with the internet?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Default res is 576x384. Which sucks on this HDTV. I've found the res setting otpion but doesnt allow me to change it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Default res is 576x384. Which sucks on this HDTV. I've found the res setting otpion but doesnt allow me to change it.

This might help, but it may depend on your cable:

ps3videomode: switch video mode dynamically

This command shows current video settings such as resolution, frame rate, color space, and so on, and switches them dynamically.

usage:

ps3videomode [options]

options:

--help, -h print this message
--video, -v <ID> set video mode ID
--full, -f use full screen mode
--dither,-d use dither ON mode

Video mode ID:
0:automode
YUV 60Hz 1:480i 2:480p 3:720p 4:1080i 5:1080p
YUV 50Hz 6:576i 7:576p 8:720p 9:1080i 10:1080p
RGB 60Hz 33:480i 34:480p 35:720p 36:1080i 37:1080p
RGB 50Hz 38:576i 39:576p 40:720p 41:1080i 42:1080p
VESA 11:WXGA 12:SXGA 13:WUXGA

full screen mode: <video mode ID> + 128
dither ON mode : <video mode ID> + 2048

If no arguments are given, ps3videomode displays the current video mode.

example:

ps3videomode -v 3 -f (720p 60Hz with full screen mode.)
ps3videomode -v 131 (Same as above.)
note:

* VESA resolutions are only valid for HDMI port.
* The signal from HDMI port supports RGB color space regardless of video mode ID.
* Don’t change the display resolution while sound is playing.
* Don’t change the display resolution on X-Window. If you did, you need to restart the Xserver, because of current ps3fb driver doesn't use fixed size frame buffer. It is needed that 'line_length' of frame buffer is used as fixed value to realize changing resolution via X.
* If you want to boot linux as specified video mode, you may use kernel parameter. It has been described on other section about How to Use Kboot.

KurowaSan

TTP said:
ok I'm in
Doesnt connect to the internet (still posting form the PC here). How do I make it work with the internet?

you have the window manager running? what was the problem you had before?

and.. are you on a wired or wireless connection?

for the resolution settings, type:

ps3videomode -v 3 -f

720p 60Hz with full screen mode.

network settings:

Enabling NetworkManager on Fedora 5

The installation process for Fedora Core 5 automatically provides NetworkManager. To enable it, enter the following commands in a terminal window:

Set the main service to automatically start on boot: su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on'

Set the dispatcher service to automatically start on boot: su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on'

Start the services: su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start ; /sbin/service NetworkManagerDispatcher start'

For each su command, enter the root password at the prompt.

The NetworkManager tray icon automatically appears on your desktop once the services are started. If the NetworkManager service is active, then the tray icon appears each time that you log in to your desktop.

Top Bottom