• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engagement length and rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

16 months from first date to getting engaged and £2000.
16 more till the wedding.

However, there are no rules, you do it when it's right. That can be 3 months or 20 years, and £100 or £20,000.

joelseph

8 months. 2K.

Eloped in a airbnb a couple states over.
Hired a cheap local photog and payed ~500 for the entire SD card of RAWS.
Invited family in for a celebration party after we got back.

Felt like everything was perfect.

I'm engaged right now. I spent a little over $2000 on the ring, and we'll have been engaged one year as of this weekend (going to Disney to celebrate tomorrow, in fact.) We're taking our time with the engagement, although while we initially did plan on having a wedding, we're talking more and more about taking a trip to the UK this fall and eloping, as family are making it all a literal nightmare.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We were together 10 years before getting engaged, then married a year later. We picked out her ring together after the engagement and it was around $2,000, if I remember correctly.

4 month engagement. Ring was built around a family heirloom diamond so I got it custom remounted and it cost something like $5k

Really long engagements aren't too uncommon these days. I've seen a few couples have to live apart for a bit because of work, or decide to wait until they have a more solid employment situation.

We were a couple for 11 years before we decided that it made sense to be married. We didn't bother with rings, didn't invite anyone to our wedding, and spent nothing more than court fees on it.

studyguy

Been with my girl for 9 years, planning to propose by the end of this year. How long that engagement goes, I guess we'll see. Rings I'm looking at are all roughly around 2 to 2.5k. Swear I'm probably going to have to drag her somewhere to pick one out cause I keep getting mixed signals on designs.

Viewt

I *just* got engaged like three weeks ago, but it'll be at least a year before we get married, and maybe another year before we have a reception/party to celebrate (we're not doing a ceremony). My girlfriend wants to finish grad school first, so we're just gonna wait it out. The ring was $5000.

I have some advice to give on engagement rings:
- The most important thing is that this is about making your partner feel special, so it's not about buying a monstrous shiny rock as much as it's finding something that suits their tastes and style. My now-fiancée specifically told me she didn't want something that was too big or gaudy-looking. So the center stone is only 0.75 karats (though there is a halo of other diamonds around it, as well as tiny diamonds on the ring itself in a kind-of leaf pattern).
- The second most important thing to keep in mind is that all of the value in engagement rings is in the center stone. Even if you dropped multiple thousands of dollars on the setting/decorative stones, if you ever tried to sell it down the line, the only thing people would care about would be the center stone.
- Some partners will wanna go to the store with you and do everything side-by-side, others will want it to be a surprise, in which case you'll need to fill in the gaps.
- You can save money buying online, but if you feel clueless, a good jeweler will make a big difference in guiding you towards good decisions. I used Ethan Lord here in Chicago, and I'd HIGHLY recommend them to anyone in the area.
- There is no "magic price." Just pick a reasonable budget and go with that. "Three months salary" or "half the price of your car" or whatever is complete BS.

I *just* got engaged like three weeks ago, but it'll be at least a year before we get married, and maybe another year before we have a reception/party to celebrate (we're not doing a ceremony). My girlfriend wants to finish grad school first, so we're just gonna wait it out. The ring was $5000.

I some advice to give on engagement rings:
- The most important thing is that this is about making your partner feel special, so it's not about buying a monstrous shiny rock as much as it's finding something that suits their tastes and style. My now-fiancée specifically told me she didn't want something that was too big or gaudy-looking. So the center stone is only 0.75 karats (though there is a halo of other diamonds around it, as well as tiny diamonds on the ring itself in a kind-of leaf pattern).
- The second most important thing to keep in mind is that all of the value in engagement rings is in the center stone. Even if you dropped multiple thousands of dollars on the setting/decorative stones, if you ever tried to sell it down the line, the only thing people would care about would be the center stone.
- Some partners will wanna go to the store with you and do everything side-by-side, others will want it to be a surprise, in which case you'll need to fill in the gaps.
- You can save money buying online, but if you feel clueless, a good jeweler will make a big difference in guiding you towards good decisions. I used Ethan Lord here in Chicago, and I'd HIGHLY recommend them to anyone in the area.

I can't agree with this enough. I'm in the Tampa area, and if anyone reading this happens to be need a suggestion in the area, I whole-heartedly endorse Mavilo's. Fantastic service. They made the process painless, while still offering a very reasonable price.

About $1200 and we'll be engaged a year and a half before we get married.

My fiancee gave me an example of what she'd like style wise and that was it. She ended up still being super surprised because she never thought I'd actually ask her, and loves the ring.

We decided on a somewhat long engagement because we're both busy people and our families are all around the country/world so getting people here requires a little planning and lead time.

studyguy

- There is no "magic price." Just pick a reasonable budget and go with that. "Three months salary" or "half the price of your car" or whatever is complete BS.

Wait who the fuck would do that.

Buying the dude band online is easy, smart and cheap. I would go local for the woman's band.

I can recommend https://www.gemvara.com/ for the groom's needs.

Also been looking for a band of my own, frankly I don't even like rings. Saw some dude degolve his finger working retail in HS and I've been terrified since.

2 months dating then 1 month engagement.

The ring was passed down from her parents but spent $70 to resize, will need to rezise again soon and will probably be much more expensive so idk how much it'll end up being. Overall; cheap.

Her ring to me was $40 and its great :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
i planned the ring, had it designed and built over 5 months.

I proposed 2 DAYS after getting it (due to a very late delivery from the jeweler, I was super pissed).

We got married 4 months after getting engaged. Flew to our honeymoon right after the wedding and Packers game (Got married on a Sunday afternoon, went to the Packers vs Vikings Sunday night game, which they won :) ). Went to the game in my tux and her wedding dress, flew to the Bahamas right after.

ring was $6k. We had been together for 3 years by that point.

- The most important thing is that this is about making your partner feel special, so it's not about buying a monstrous shiny rock as much as it's finding something that suits their tastes and style.

Great advice. My fiancee told me not to spend a lot, just find something she'd like. Just communicate with your partner, find out what they want their preferences are. You can still make it a surprise if you're creative (she never saw my proposal coming).

I proposed 2 DAYS after getting it (due to a very late delivery from the jeweler, I was super pissed).

We got married 4 months after getting engaged. Flew to our honeymoon right after the wedding and Packers game. Went to the game in my tux and her wedding dress, flew to the Bahamas right after.

This is amazing :')

We got married 4 months after getting engaged. Flew to our honeymoon right after the wedding and Packers game (Got married on a Sunday afternoon, went to the Packers vs Vikings Sunday night game, which they won :) ). Went to the game in my tux and her wedding dress, flew to the Bahamas right after.

That's amazing.

Been engaged since last August - dated for about two years prior. We still don't have a date set for the wedding, but we don't plan on having a traditional wedding. We sill sign the papers at court, throw a huge party with friends and family, and then do some traveling. Ring was around $8,000. I went with a local jeweler and worked with him to design a custom ruby (her favorite) ring. I think going with local jewelers is the way to go.

20160822_192438.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2 months and $16. My wife and I agree that diamonds are bullshit. We got a house instead.

Maedre

Banned
2 year engagement, $5k custom sapphire ring.

Was a good purchase, no regrets.
Wtf? You Americans and your engagement rings.

5 1/2 years after the first date and we were engaged for 19 months. 300€ For the engagement ring. 500€ for the weddingring.

KingCookie5

Neo Member
Just got engaged, almost 5 years (4 years, 9 months). 12,000 CAD on the ring. Just signed the paperwork to build a new house (our first). Stressful but exciting times!

dated 8 years.
engaged for 1 year.
married for 2.5 years.

i honestly can't recall how much total i spent on a ring, but i used 3 diamonds that were passed down to her in a ring/earrings which offset the cost a lot i'm sure, plus bought from a family friend so they gave me some sort of deal

conpfreak

6 months (together for 2 years before engagement), $20 maybe? I literally refused to spend any serious money on a ring. And since I've lost like 5 bands so far, that was probably a good idea. We're dudes too, so it's easy to not care about rings.

We were together 2 years, then our engagement was almost another 2 years. In 2 weeks we will be having our first year anniversary. The engagement ring/ wedding band set was $32 off of Amazon, and she loves it. She has been wearing it for 3 years and still gets frequent compliments​from people on how much they love it.

Together 5 years, then engaged in February and married in October of the same year. $10kCDN ring, custom through a local company.

Highly recommend getting married asap. Being engaged sucks. Being married is good.

We got engaged after a year of being together but waited for 3 more years to marry.

Spent about a 150 euros to the engagement rings if I remember correctly (we got one for each other) and I think about another hundred euros for her marriage ring. All of the rings are fairly simple but beautiful.

People don't usually spend that much on rings here in Finland. Something like 2000 bucks that you read in this thread sounds completely absurd to me already as it is. But to each their own.

we were together 3, engaged for 6 months and spent nothing on an engagement ring

We got engaged after a year of being together but waited for 3 more years to marry.

Spent about a 150 euros to the engagement rings if I remember correctly (we got one for each other) and I think about another hundred euros for her marriage ring. All of the rings are fairly simple but beautiful.

People don't usually spend that much on rings here in Finland. Something like 2000 bucks that you read in this thread sounds completely absurd to me already as it is. But to each their own.

Same, and I'm from Texas. My wife would rather us spend 2 grand on something awesome instead of just the ring. That is crazy to me too

We were engaged for... lemme think... 15 months I think. We had been together for about 4 years prior to getting engaged, I think.
Her engagement ring was $6500. We were both against spending a boat load on a ring, and the style she liked fit into the budget I set for it.

Engaged in 2011, married in 2013. We met in 08 so it was a decent amount of time.

We went ring shopping together because her tastes are entirely different from mine. Ring was 3 to 4k (I THINK...don't quote me on that) but I was firm on paying cash and not financing.

Had a baby due in March of 2012 and was getting ready to buy my house in July of 2012 and wanted as little debt as possible.

Not that financing 8 or 9k for a ring is ever a good idea regardless, but I was firm on not going that route.

Futureman

I'm going to propose to my GF within a few months. No later than our 3rd anniversary on August 8th. Plan on spending $500-$1k on a ring. Not really sure where to look... Just been casually browsing Etsy lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom